Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Graham crackers; also vinegar pie

I had always thought that graham crackers were so named because of the type
of flour, but the flour is so named after Sylvester Graham. Learning
something new everyday from food network.

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/spec...d/a/graham.htm

***
On the same program as the making of s'mores was the vinegar pie. Gale Gand
(I suppose she is the host of "Sweet Dreams" )never had heard of vinegar
pie. A guest made the pie, but Gale spent time at the end talking about her
s'mores without getting her opinion about the pie or tasting it. I thought
she was a bore about the 'smore (shakespeare).

The pie maker on this program is a connoisseur of vinegar pies and similar
pies of the past and present. He explained that grandma didn't have
balsamic, nor lemons/limes, hence the use of vinegar. But the reason for
his balsamic - according to my deduction as well as him saying that it made
a great tasting filling -- was that he added on the top of it (in a nice
little circle) a circle of strawberries, then raspberries, then inside some
type of mint, that I didn't get the name of - something like 'mo' mint. He
explained a standard Italian (I believe he said Italian) gourmet-tasting
dessert is strawberries and balsamic. I have a cousin who likes fine food
and he was recently ecstatic when he discovered strawberries and balsamic.
I believe there are other cultures that use fruit with black pepper and
exotic spices -- is this India?

Anyway, my report comes to a conclusion on vinegar pie. Tee hee.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> I had always thought that graham crackers were so named because of the type
> of flour, but the flour is so named after Sylvester Graham. Learning
> something new everyday from food network.

Wiki is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cracker

What i recall was taht Graham thought that carnal urges came from oral
fixations and that eating these crackers would reduce those. Also,
IIRC, Kellogg belived this also and that's why he invetened corn
flakes.

> http://homecooking.about.com/cs/spec...d/a/graham.htm
>
> ***
> On the same program as the making of s'mores was the vinegar pie. Gale Gand
> (I suppose she is the host of "Sweet Dreams" )never had heard of vinegar
> pie. A guest made the pie, but Gale spent time at the end talking about her
> s'mores without getting her opinion about the pie or tasting it. I thought
> she was a bore about the 'smore (shakespeare).
>
> The pie maker on this program is a connoisseur of vinegar pies and similar
> pies of the past and present. He explained that grandma didn't have
> balsamic, nor lemons/limes, hence the use of vinegar. But the reason for
> his balsamic - according to my deduction as well as him saying that it made
> a great tasting filling -- was that he added on the top of it (in a nice
> little circle) a circle of strawberries, then raspberries, then inside some
> type of mint, that I didn't get the name of - something like 'mo' mint. He
> explained a standard Italian (I believe he said Italian) gourmet-tasting
> dessert is strawberries and balsamic. I have a cousin who likes fine food
> and he was recently ecstatic when he discovered strawberries and balsamic.
> I believe there are other cultures that use fruit with black pepper and
> exotic spices -- is this India?
>
> Anyway, my report comes to a conclusion on vinegar pie. Tee hee.
> Dee Dee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

As i recall, using aged Balsamic is what makes Balsamic and
Straawberries tasty. I saw an alternative was to add some brown sugar
to the balsamic. Not sure how that turns out though.

-goro-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goro" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> I had always thought that graham crackers were so named because of the
>> type
>> of flour, but the flour is so named after Sylvester Graham. Learning
>> something new everyday from food network.

> Wiki is your friend.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cracker
>
> What i recall was taht Graham thought that carnal urges came from oral
> fixations and that eating these crackers would reduce those. Also,
> IIRC, Kellogg belived this also and that's why he invetened corn
> flakes.

Leave it to Wikipedia to sensationalize. If you click on the "Graham Diet"
at the bottom of theWikipedia page, it mentions masturbation but no diet,
per se. I've read about Kellogg -- I think there is even a movie (comedy?)
I saw about Kellogg, but somehow I missed the Graham connection.

Wikipedia is wonderful in a lot of ways, but it leaves a lot to be desired
in some of their snyopses.
Their genealogy of English royalty is absolutely astounding.
Thanks for you interest.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Goro" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >> I had always thought that graham crackers were so named because of the
> >> type
> >> of flour, but the flour is so named after Sylvester Graham. Learning
> >> something new everyday from food network.

> > Wiki is your friend.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cracker
> >
> > What i recall was taht Graham thought that carnal urges came from oral
> > fixations and that eating these crackers would reduce those. Also,
> > IIRC, Kellogg belived this also and that's why he invetened corn
> > flakes.
> >

> Leave it to Wikipedia to sensationalize. If you click on the "Graham Diet"
> at the bottom of theWikipedia page, it mentions masturbation but no diet,
> per se. I've read about Kellogg -- I think there is even a movie (comedy?)
> I saw about Kellogg, but somehow I missed the Graham connection.
>
> Wikipedia is wonderful in a lot of ways, but it leaves a lot to be desired
> in some of their snyopses.

of course, you realize it's not "wikipedia" that's doing the
sensationalizing. If you have a comment or improvement, you should
edit the wiki entry.

-goro-

> Their genealogy of English royalty is absolutely astounding.
> Thanks for you interest.
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goro" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Goro" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > Wiki is your friend.
>> >
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cracker
>> >
>> > What i recall was taht Graham thought that carnal urges came from oral
>> > fixations and that eating these crackers would reduce those. Also,
>> > IIRC, Kellogg belived this also and that's why he invetened corn
>> > flakes.
>> >

>> Leave it to Wikipedia to sensationalize. If you click on the "Graham
>> Diet"
>> at the bottom of theWikipedia page, it mentions masturbation but no diet,
>> per se. I've read about Kellogg -- I think there is even a movie
>> (comedy?)
>> I saw about Kellogg, but somehow I missed the Graham connection.
>>
>> Wikipedia is wonderful in a lot of ways, but it leaves a lot to be
>> desired
>> in some of their snyopses.

> of course, you realize it's not "wikipedia" that's doing the
> sensationalizing. If you have a comment or improvement, you should
> edit the wiki entry.
>
> -goro-
>
>> Their genealogy of English royalty is absolutely astounding.
>> Thanks for you interest.
>> Dee Dee

Of course.
Dee Dee

REC: Graham-Rye Bread Mike Muth General Cooking 0 05-09-2013 02:42 AM
Nabisco original graham crackers? [email protected] Baking 20 06-01-2006 12:17 AM
Graham Crackers Tim Recipes 0 15-06-2005 10:31 AM
Graham Crackers Tim Recipes 0 15-06-2005 03:13 AM
Chocolate Coating for Graham Crackers Dee Randall General Cooking 16 10-02-2004 07:05 PM