Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Light Karo syrup always had vanilla

You could knock me over with a feather.

I picked up some in the grocery store and when I got it home, I was
surprised to notice on the front label, a statement "contains natural
vanilla." I thought I had picked up a new variety (like vanilla Coke)
and was irritated that it wasn't placed where I could notice it when I
bought it. So I called the company to complain and was told that it
always had vanilla (but not enough to reduce the amount needed for
recipes) and it was a marketing decision to put it on the front label.
I checked an old bottle and sure enough, it had vanilla in the list of
ingredients.

Now you know. (If you didn't before.)
Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> You could knock me over with a feather.
>
> I picked up some in the grocery store and when I got it home, I was
> surprised to notice on the front label, a statement "contains natural
> vanilla." I thought I had picked up a new variety (like vanilla Coke)
> and was irritated that it wasn't placed where I could notice it when I
> bought it. So I called the company to complain and was told that it
> always had vanilla (but not enough to reduce the amount needed for
> recipes) and it was a marketing decision to put it on the front label.
> I checked an old bottle and sure enough, it had vanilla in the list of
> ingredients.
>
> Now you know. (If you didn't before.)
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Same as "New and improved"....which roughly translated means "we
weren't selling enough of this stuff, so lets just change the
label/packaging to move it off the shelves"

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> You could knock me over with a feather.
>
> I picked up some in the grocery store and when I got it home, I was
> surprised to notice on the front label, a statement "contains natural
> vanilla." I thought I had picked up a new variety (like vanilla Coke)
> and was irritated that it wasn't placed where I could notice it when I
> bought it. So I called the company to complain and was told that it
> always had vanilla (but not enough to reduce the amount needed for
> recipes) and it was a marketing decision to put it on the front label.
> I checked an old bottle and sure enough, it had vanilla in the list of
> ingredients.
>
> Now you know. (If you didn't before.)
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

How many times in the past had you used the product successfully, without
knowing it had vanilla in it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:02:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

>"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
>> You could knock me over with a feather.
>>
>> I picked up some in the grocery store and when I got it home, I was
>> surprised to notice on the front label, a statement "contains natural
>> vanilla." I thought I had picked up a new variety (like vanilla Coke)
>> and was irritated that it wasn't placed where I could notice it when I
>> bought it. So I called the company to complain and was told that it
>> always had vanilla (but not enough to reduce the amount needed for
>> recipes) and it was a marketing decision to put it on the front label.
>> I checked an old bottle and sure enough, it had vanilla in the list of
>> ingredients.
>>
>> Now you know. (If you didn't before.)

>How many times in the past had you used the product successfully, without
>knowing it had vanilla in it?

Every time, apparently. Perhaps if they had written "still contains
vanilla" I wouldn't have thought I got the wrong item. Or even
better, just left "vanilla" in the ingredients list so I wouldn't have
thought I brought home vanilla syrup.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Name any situation in which a small addition of vanilla would be a bad
thing.

--Blair
"I can't..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Feb 2006 11:18:09 -0800, "Blair P. Houghton"
> wrote:

>Name any situation in which a small addition of vanilla would be a bad
>thing.

Diet Coke. Bleah.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote on 21 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On 21 Feb 2006 11:18:09 -0800, "Blair P. Houghton"
> > wrote:
>
> >Name any situation in which a small addition of vanilla would be a bad
> >thing.
> >

> Diet Coke. Bleah.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

chicken fried steak, pepperoni pizza just to name two.

meatloaf, french cut green beans, mac and cheese to just name three more.

--
-Alan

Vanilla Syrup Recipe Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 1 13-08-2010 02:08 PM
Looking for Corn Syrup Not Light, Not High-Fructose SaPeIsMa General Cooking 12 26-12-2009 12:11 AM
What's the equivalent of light Karo syrup in the UK? jmcquown General Cooking 28 01-09-2007 01:14 AM
Karo Syrup Barry Winemaking 4 25-08-2004 05:17 AM
Glucose and light corn syrup Stelios Iko Baking 9 31-07-2004 05:15 PM