Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Dinner Service

I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
mind.

I've had the same china for about 25 years. It's Villeroy & Boch
"Geranium", whic is yellow and gold on a white background. When I first
saw it, it screamed "Buy me!" (Insofar as I have a domestic colour
scheme it is green and gold, I am convinced this comes of reading LotR
at the age of 11 and internalising the house of Tom Bombadil.)

Anyway, after all this time the dinner plates and the bread and butter
plates have got a bit scratched and of course we've had (surprisingly
few) breakages which now cannot be replaced.

I like Villeroy & Boch china, I like the shapes. I particularly like the
deep soup bowls - we have soup a lot. The current range of patterns
available here, however, don't really grab me for various reasons,
though I could live with French Garden. But I have come across an
English business called Small Island Trader which will deliuver to
anywhere a vast range of English and European china. They can supply a
pattern called Manoir, which is plain white with a bit of embossing.

They also sell French Gien faience ware - somewhat more expensive. They
have a couple of traditional French white patterns which are very appealing.

In the past I have had some white pasta bowls with patterns embossed on
the rims and they were not a success as the glaze sort of wore down -
but they were cheap amd obviously nasty. It goes without saying that
what I have been looking at is microwave and dishwasher safe.

One of the further advantages of Small Island Trader is that you don't
have to buy a 20 piece or 36 piece or whatever setting. You can buy
exactly however many you want of whichever pieces in the range - you can
mix and match between patterns or even manufacturers. I do not want to
buy tea cups and saucers, nor cake plates. You only use them if you have
company (we drink out of mugs usually), and I would keep the ones I have
now. If I buy plain white then that is going to look better with the old
stuff that I retain.

I have also lately taken to wondering why china should be decorated with
flowers or birds or the like anyway. Part of me worries that this is
just a phase; at my age what I buy now may well do me until the old
folks' home, and if I buy plain white in a few years I may regret it. I
am after all contemplating spending something in excess of $500, plus
delivery.

Has anybody else been through this sort of agonising, or is it just me?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Christine
I come from a family who loves cooking and loves good china. When we
were growing up my mother always used good Doulton china for everyday
and some lovely Wedgwood etc for entertaining. It convinced me when I
had my own home that the better the china, the less it chips or cracks.
I used a Doulton white with thin gold band as an everyday set for 15
years, never broke a plate, the gold just eventualy wore off with wear
and increased use of dishwashers. For good I then used Wedgwood
Countryware which is white embossed and now some years down the
track,I use that set for everyday.
I think, when you enjoy cooking and presentation of food, white is the
way to go, rather than patterned china. V&B of course, has great
china, but I look at some of the patterns and think no. My mother died
last year and I have her Wedgwood 'Marlborough' pattern which is
essentially white with a fine pale blue and gold pattern around the
rims. My twin sister has her Minton set which goes against the theory I
have just espoused above as it has a fine allover flower pattern with
mid green trim. It is really lovey and has a 'spring' feel - good for
lunches.
I adore walking through china stores, and would have many sets if I had
the money and storage LOL.
Go with your strong love of what appeals to your eye and you won't be
disappointed. Just don't keep it in the cupboard for 'good' - enjoy it
whenever you can.

Please post what you end up purchasing.
Cheers
Bronwyn
Oz.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message

new china purchase

> But I have come across an English business called Small Island Trader
> which will deliuver to anywhere a vast range of English and European
> china. They can supply a pattern called Manoir, which is plain white with
> a bit of embossing.
>
> They also sell French Gien faience ware - somewhat more expensive. They
> have a couple of traditional French white patterns which are very
> appealing.

I think that white embossed is a great choice. Food looks more appealing on
white than on a multi-colored pattern, at least to me. And think of the fun
you can have with table linens!! If, in a few years, you start to tire of
the white, you can always buy a set or two of fun dessert plates (colored
and/or patterened) and use them for salads, appetizers, or desserts to shake
things up a bit.

> One of the further advantages of Small Island Trader is that you don't
> have to buy a 20 piece or 36 piece or whatever setting. You can buy
> exactly however many you want of whichever pieces in the range - you can
> mix and match between patterns or even manufacturers. I do not want to buy
> tea cups and saucers, nor cake plates. You only use them if you have
> company (we drink out of mugs usually), and I would keep the ones I have
> now. If I buy plain white then that is going to look better with the old
> stuff that I retain.

I agree -- I prefer mugs, and find that cups and saucers are a waste of
money and space.

> Has anybody else been through this sort of agonising, or is it just me?

Sure, before I got married I did, but then, I wasn't actually paying for
most of the stufff; we got it as gifts. So the haveitfortherestofmylife
concept was agonising, but not the financial impact. Do let us know what
you decide!

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
> I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
> thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
> mind.

> Has anybody else been through this sort of agonising, or is it just me?
>
> Christine

How many people at your home eat on the dishes in a week's time? If there
are no more than two -- forget it if you are over 60. Save the $500 for
something else you'd like.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> Has anybody else been through this sort of agonising, or is it just me?

No reason to agonize, for dinnerware... WHITE!

Anything else is gauche.

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/sch/k...=&ba sebrand=

http://tinyurl.com/awc45

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bronwyn wrote:

>Hi Christine
>I come from a family who loves cooking and loves good china. When we
>were growing up my mother always used good Doulton china for everyday
>and some lovely Wedgwood etc for entertaining. It convinced me when I
>had my own home that the better the china, the less it chips or cracks.
> I used a Doulton white with thin gold band as an everyday set for 15
>years, never broke a plate, the gold just eventualy wore off with wear
>and increased use of dishwashers. For good I then used Wedgwood
>Countryware which is white embossed and now some years down the
>track,I use that set for everyday.
>I think, when you enjoy cooking and presentation of food, white is the
>way to go, rather than patterned china. V&B of course, has great
>china, but I look at some of the patterns and think no. My mother died
>last year and I have her Wedgwood 'Marlborough' pattern which is
>essentially white with a fine pale blue and gold pattern around the
>rims. My twin sister has her Minton set which goes against the theory I
>have just espoused above as it has a fine allover flower pattern with
>mid green trim. It is really lovey and has a 'spring' feel - good for
>lunches.
>I adore walking through china stores, and would have many sets if I had
>the money and storage LOL.
>Go with your strong love of what appeals to your eye and you won't be
>disappointed. Just don't keep it in the cupboard for 'good' - enjoy it
>whenever you can.
>
>Please post what you end up purchasing.
>Cheers
>Bronwyn
>Oz.

Thanks Bronwyn, that's the sort of encouragement I was wanting! Somebody
who agrees with me! I didn't think I could be the only one who believes
that you should use good china for everyday. Same thing goes for
glassware - cheap wineglasses chip while you look at them.

My Mum has V&B Vieux Lyonnaise, which I will one day inherit, but it's
not me - fine blue flower sprigs all over it and I'm not blue at all. I
wouldn't have anywhere to put it anyway - as it is I'm wondering if we
should buy a sideboard but we really haven't the room which is why we
don't have one now. It would be a pity to give it to the Salvos, but
perhaps somebody in the familiy will want it. Mum has a list attached to
her will, you know, of all the things that are going to various people,
but I don't think the china's on it.

Must be fun being observant Jewish. If I understand it correctly you
have milk and meat china, and then another set (or presumably two)
just for Passover week. Bliss!

You ought to have a look at some of the French china on the Small Island
Trader web site. Mind boggling!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
> thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
> mind.
>
> I've had the same china for about 25 years. It's Villeroy & Boch
> "Geranium", whic is yellow and gold on a white background. When I first
> saw it, it screamed "Buy me!" (Insofar as I have a domestic colour
> scheme it is green and gold, I am convinced this comes of reading LotR
> at the age of 11 and internalising the house of Tom Bombadil.)
>
> Anyway, after all this time the dinner plates and the bread and butter
> plates have got a bit scratched and of course we've had (surprisingly
> few) breakages which now cannot be replaced.
>
> I like Villeroy & Boch china, I like the shapes. I particularly like the
> deep soup bowls - we have soup a lot. The current range of patterns
> available here, however, don't really grab me for various reasons,
> though I could live with French Garden. But I have come across an
> English business called Small Island Trader which will deliuver to
> anywhere a vast range of English and European china. They can supply a
> pattern called Manoir, which is plain white with a bit of embossing.
>
> They also sell French Gien faience ware - somewhat more expensive. They
> have a couple of traditional French white patterns which are very appealing.
>
> In the past I have had some white pasta bowls with patterns embossed on
> the rims and they were not a success as the glaze sort of wore down -
> but they were cheap amd obviously nasty. It goes without saying that
> what I have been looking at is microwave and dishwasher safe.
>
> One of the further advantages of Small Island Trader is that you don't
> have to buy a 20 piece or 36 piece or whatever setting. You can buy
> exactly however many you want of whichever pieces in the range - you can
> mix and match between patterns or even manufacturers. I do not want to
> buy tea cups and saucers, nor cake plates. You only use them if you have
> company (we drink out of mugs usually), and I would keep the ones I have
> now. If I buy plain white then that is going to look better with the old
> stuff that I retain.
>
> I have also lately taken to wondering why china should be decorated with
> flowers or birds or the like anyway. Part of me worries that this is
> just a phase; at my age what I buy now may well do me until the old
> folks' home, and if I buy plain white in a few years I may regret it. I
> am after all contemplating spending something in excess of $500, plus
> delivery.
>
> Has anybody else been through this sort of agonising, or is it just me?
>
> Christine

Never met a dish I didn't like. :-) Years ago I decided I no longer
liked my china pattern. Not on a serious hunt, but every time I
wandered through the china department of stores, I was drawn to
Noritake's Brookhollow. It's what I ultimately purchased. Beck, when
she married, chose a 'sister' pattern to mine -- I think she's planning
on inheriting mine when I croak. <g>. The patterns coordinate. When I
buy everyday dishes, I buy only four places. We almost never entertain
and if I need more, I'll either use the fine china or the other set of
casual stuff that's been moved to basement storage. . . . . "-)
Have fun. (I'm kind of liking the Villeroy & Boch Switch Three with
the blues and greens. And there's a V&B outlet within firing range.)
:-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
> > I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
> > thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
> > mind.

> > Has anybody else been through this sort of agonising, or is it just me?
> >
> > Christine

> How many people at your home eat on the dishes in a week's time? If there
> are no more than two -- forget it if you are over 60. Save the $500 for
> something else you'd like.
> Dee Dee

Phooey! I'd spend the $500 BECAUSE I'm over 60 and would finally HAVE
what I like!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 18 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Never met a dish I didn't like. :-) Years ago I decided I no longer
> liked my china pattern. Not on a serious hunt, but every time I
> wandered through the china department of stores, I was drawn to
> Noritake's Brookhollow. It's what I ultimately purchased. Beck, when
> she married, chose a 'sister' pattern to mine -- I think she's
> planning on inheriting mine when I croak. <g>. The patterns
> coordinate. When I buy everyday dishes, I buy only four places. We
> almost never entertain and if I need more, I'll either use the fine
> china or the other set of casual stuff that's been moved to basement
> storage. . . . . "-) Have fun. (I'm kind of liking the Villeroy &
> Boch Switch Three with the blues and greens. And there's a V&B outlet
> within firing range.)
> :-)

I can understand the desire to set a nice table and to have a set of
china set aside for formal or special occassions. What I can't understand
is why some people collect thousands of dollars worth of dinner services
and never display or use them. I have 3 sets of dishes...I set I got week
by week from the supermarket, which I use daily but is mostly broken or
chipped and chucked, the ironware I am replacing it with (off white with
a forest green border) and a set I use for xmas (mom's queen anne set).

My mother (bless her) had 2 sets of wedgeworth in cardboard boxes in her
basement when she died. I never knew about them never even had seen them.
I knew about the Queen Anne set and the other wedgewood set in the china
cabinet upstairs though. She did use the queen Anne for family feasts
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote on 18 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > Never met a dish I didn't like. :-) Years ago I decided I no longer
> > liked my china pattern. Not on a serious hunt, but every time I
> > wandered through the china department of stores, I was drawn to
> > Noritake's Brookhollow. It's what I ultimately purchased. Beck, when
> > she married, chose a 'sister' pattern to mine -- I think she's
> > planning on inheriting mine when I croak. <g>. The patterns
> > coordinate. When I buy everyday dishes, I buy only four places. We
> > almost never entertain and if I need more, I'll either use the fine
> > china or the other set of casual stuff that's been moved to basement
> > storage. . . . . "-) Have fun. (I'm kind of liking the Villeroy &
> > Boch Switch Three with the blues and greens. And there's a V&B outlet
> > within firing range.)
> > :-)

> I can understand the desire to set a nice table and to have a set of
> china set aside for formal or special occassions. What I can't understand
> is why some people collect thousands of dollars worth of dinner services
> and never display or use them.

Isn't it wonderful that we're all so different!!
I have a large collection of something that hasn't been out its boxes in
a few years. No matter. I smile every time I think about them. I
believe the collections are not really about the *items* but are about
the memories that the items conjure up. My late MIL collected dolls.
Now, she did have them displayed in her rooms, but they were surely
nothing Sam would be allowed to PLAY with. Rob has some stuff and Alex
forBID that anyone would touch them OR that they would EVER be used in
the manner for which they were manufactured. <LOL> Nope. It's not
about the stuff, it's about the memories. The U of MN Extension folks
made a presentation program a few years ago called, "Who Gets Grandma's
Yellow Pie Plate." And I see there's a book by the title, too.
http://www.yellowpieplate.umn.edu/indexB.html

OB Food: I just made some brownies for Niece Patty to take to a potluck
tonight.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:19:36 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Never met a dish I didn't like. :-)

Me too! I've got 5 sets of china , but the only one I bought was my
current everyday china. http://tinyurl.com/b34tg I am going to give
it a rest and resurrect my Shenango, Blue, Railroad Scenes
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RARBAOH.htm which has been
sitting in the basement since I bought Summer Chinz.

I also have
Johnson Brothers,England (LOL) - Historic America, Thanksgiving
"Frozen Up" http://tinyurl.com/c4fxw
Wedgewood, Conway http://www.edish.com/e/phot.asp?p=730
Theodore Haviland, New York - the pattern name is unknown to me
(speckled blue rim, gold band inside and out, floral center on a white
background)

If I was going out to buy today - I'd get something with color, like
Spode's Stafford Flowers - http://tinyurl.com/78se6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:40:45 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> What I can't understand
> is why some people collect thousands of dollars worth of dinner services
> and never display or use them.

DITTO! Why buy them if you won't use them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:52:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> It's not
> about the stuff, it's about the memories. The U of MN Extension folks
> made a presentation program a few years ago called, "Who Gets Grandma's
> Yellow Pie Plate."

Those "things" were used or displayed and that created memories.
Nobody will fight over grandma's yellow pie plate if it was kept in a
box in the attic. Instead, her inheritors will look at it and think
about $$ - not about warm fuzzies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:19:36 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Never met a dish I didn't like. :-)

> Me too! I've got 5 sets of china , but the only one I bought was my
> current everyday china. http://tinyurl.com/b34tg I am going to give
> it a rest and resurrect my Shenango, Blue, Railroad Scenes
> http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RARBAOH.htm which has been
> sitting in the basement since I bought Summer Chinz.
>
> I also have
> Johnson Brothers,England (LOL) - Historic America, Thanksgiving
> "Frozen Up" http://tinyurl.com/c4fxw
> Wedgewood, Conway http://www.edish.com/e/phot.asp?p=730
> Theodore Haviland, New York - the pattern name is unknown to me
> (speckled blue rim, gold band inside and out, floral center on a white
> background)
>
> If I was going out to buy today - I'd get something with color, like
> Spode's Stafford Flowers - http://tinyurl.com/78se6

Oh, Oh! I love that Spode's Stafford Flowers
dee dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>

>>"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
>>

>>>I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
>>>thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
>>>mind.
>>>

>>>Has anybody else been through this sort of agonising, or is it just me?
>>>
>>>Christine
>>>

>>How many people at your home eat on the dishes in a week's time? If there
>>are no more than two -- forget it if you are over 60. Save the $500 for
>>something else you'd like.
>>Dee Dee
>>

>Phooey! I'd spend the $500 BECAUSE I'm over 60 and would finally HAVE
>what I like!

Well said! I am, she said coyly, closer to 50 than 60, but Dee seems to
have misunderstood me. I really want to buy new china, I do, I do! But
it's not the sort of thing you do very often.

When I first got married I made do with the china which Auntie Ann gave
us. Typical of Auntie (who also gave me the then considerable sum of
$50 which I spent on knives), it was a dinner service which she'd
bought for herself and then decided she didn't like. It was Mikasa,
quite acceptable as to size and shape - but it was pink, with bands of
deeper pink around the rims of everything. Hideous! About the only thing
you could safely eat out of it was strawberry shortcake! So I saved up
for my V&B, and eventually MIL took the Mikasa off to give to a family
of Vietnamese refugees who have my sympathy to this day.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>In article >,
> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote on 18 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>>

>>>Never met a dish I didn't like. :-) Years ago I decided I no longer
>>>liked my china pattern. Not on a serious hunt, but every time I
>>>wandered through the china department of stores, I was drawn to
>>>Noritake's Brookhollow. It's what I ultimately purchased. Beck, when
>>>she married, chose a 'sister' pattern to mine -- I think she's
>>>planning on inheriting mine when I croak. <g>. The patterns
>>>coordinate. When I buy everyday dishes, I buy only four places. We
>>>almost never entertain and if I need more, I'll either use the fine
>>>china or the other set of casual stuff that's been moved to basement
>>>storage. . . . . "-) Have fun. (I'm kind of liking the Villeroy &
>>>Boch Switch Three with the blues and greens. And there's a V&B outlet
>>>within firing range.)
>>>:-)
>>>

>>I can understand the desire to set a nice table and to have a set of
>>china set aside for formal or special occassions. What I can't understand
>>is why some people collect thousands of dollars worth of dinner services
>>and never display or use them.
>>

>Isn't it wonderful that we're all so different!!
>I have a large collection of something that hasn't been out its boxes in
>a few years. No matter. I smile every time I think about them. I
>believe the collections are not really about the *items* but are about
>the memories that the items conjure up. My late MIL collected dolls.
>Now, she did have them displayed in her rooms, but they were surely
>nothing Sam would be allowed to PLAY with. Rob has some stuff and Alex
>forBID that anyone would touch them OR that they would EVER be used in
>the manner for which they were manufactured. <LOL> Nope. It's not
>about the stuff, it's about the memories. The U of MN Extension folks
>made a presentation program a few years ago called, "Who Gets Grandma's
>Yellow Pie Plate." And I see there's a book by the title, too.
>http://www.yellowpieplate.umn.edu/indexB.html
>
>OB Food: I just made some brownies for Niece Patty to take to a potluck
>tonight.

Somebody wrote a book more or less on that topic here quite some years
ago. I have forgotten the title, but I do believe that I gave Mum a
copy, I'll have to see if it can be found.

It was about the way women pass things down through the female line.
These things are not necessarily intrinsically very valuable, but they
are important to preserving the family history. You get a tea set or a
quilt or something from your mother, who got it from her mother, and you
hold it on trust for your daughter. If you have no daughters, it goes to
a niece. Most of this goes right over the heads of the menfolk, who are
usually not privy to the stories accompanying the stuff. Secret women's
business.

Thus, my mother's parents gave her a dinner service for her 21st
birthday (a setting for twelve, no less). We think that it was probably
chosen by Aunt Sadie because it really wasn't Mum's taste. She very
rarely used it, it would be got out if we had a lot of guests and extra
china was needed. She decided some years ago to leave it to Cousin
Rosie, who is Sadie's daughter. Apart from the fact that Rosie likes the
china, she has a daughter (who has only sons at present) and a son who
has a daughter; it is therefore understood that it will be kept in the
family, and the correct side of the family at that.

Mum actually gave the china to Rosie a year or so ago. Dad complained
and had to be firmly told it was none of his damn business. In due
course I will get a lot of her stuff, but it is understood that I will
pass it on to my brother's daughters.

As Mum is infortunately no longer able to cook, I would take custody of
the cast iron girdle and the gem irons now, but it would probably upset
Dad if I suggested it. If she predeceases him I think (I'm the executor)
that the specific bequests will have to wait for Dad to go, even things
which (like some of the paintings), I know Mum bought before they were
married. Most of the stuff, apart from her jewellery, is embroideries
and tapestries (including chairs and stools) which she made, and a fair
collection of Royal Copenhagen ornaments.

Maybe all this sounds a bit coldblooded, but my family love talking
about their wills and who gets what, assuming somebody didn't swipe it
while the deceased was in the hospice!

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh, I love the Spode, for me that would be a luncheon set!
Your blue set is very traditional and looks great on open
dresser shelving. My MIL had something similar for good, but to me it
was always weird eating a roast lamb dinner off it. Very busy LOL
Christine said something about maybe she should acquire a sideboard.
When my mother died last year I took hers and it has been great to have
additional space for my china.
Luckily our loungeroom was big enough to accommodate it as I also have
a large French walnut dresser and an elegant small Regency sideboard.
I'll take some pix later of the 3 because this is an interesting thread
on china et al.
Without going off on a crystal tangent, we use Waterford and Stuart
most days. Just DH and I at home, we eat at the dining table every
evening, little candlelights burning and food mostly served at the
table. Yeah, I'm a dinasaur - at 53!

-- Bron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:58:48 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:19:36 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Never met a dish I didn't like. :-)

My "everyday" stuff consists of a mis-matched bunch of crap that most
of you here would be embarassed to put on your table :-)

But I have my mother's wedding present china - it's from Taylor Smith
and Taylor - a pattern that has a jack in the pulpit in the middle of
the plate. This stuff was produced in about 1952, and my parents were
married in 1953. I have 8 place settings, but I can only scrape up 6
unchipped place settings from the lot.

I also have an 8 place setting set of absolutely stunning china that I
bought for $40 at an auction last year. (The set also includes a meat
platter, veggie bowl, and cream & sugar.) Can't remember at the moment
what the name of the stuff is - it's out in my barn/antique store at
the moment - but it's from the old German republic. This set of china
has, curiously, never been used. I think I may bring it in the house
and make it my "good" china.

(Us antique people are always bringing stuff into the house, depending
on what type of company we are expecting at the moment.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

> [...]

> and had to be firmly told it was none of his damn business. In due
> course I will get a lot of her stuff, but it is understood that I will
> pass it on to my brother's daughters.
>
> As Mum is infortunately no longer able to cook, I would take custody of
> the cast iron girdle and the gem irons now, but it would probably upset
> Dad if I suggested it. If she predeceases him I think (I'm the executor)
> that the specific bequests will have to wait for Dad to go, even things
> which (like some of the paintings), I know Mum bought before they were
> married. Most of the stuff, apart from her jewellery, is embroideries
> and tapestries (including chairs and stools) which she made, and a fair
> collection of Royal Copenhagen ornaments.
>
> Maybe all this sounds a bit coldblooded, but my family love talking
> about their wills and who gets what, assuming somebody didn't swipe it

Ah, Christine! I love it! And to think that someone was put off
because I'm interested in the lunches served after the funeral. Jeez,
at least *my* people are dead! "-) Your conversations remind me of
one I had with Beck -- I'd asked the kids to tell me what specifically
they want when I croak. Chris took a pass and Beck immediately listed
four or five things -- she didn't miss a beat! I gave her the fish eye
and said, "You've been thinking about this, have you?" 8-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:17:21 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Ah, Christine! I love it! And to think that someone was put off
>because I'm interested in the lunches served after the funeral. Jeez,
>at least *my* people are dead! "-) Your conversations remind me of
>one I had with Beck -- I'd asked the kids to tell me what specifically
>they want when I croak. Chris took a pass and Beck immediately listed
>four or five things -- she didn't miss a beat! I gave her the fish eye
>and said, "You've been thinking about this, have you?" 8-)
>--

I let my mother know, in no uncertain terms, that I wanted her china.
AND her silverware.

I got half the china when she died, and all the silverware. I will be
trying to fill out the set when I settle down again.

Here is her china pattern:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/LAMREV.htm

Christine (the other one)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Feb 2006 18:23:32 -0800, Bronwyn wrote:

> Without going off on a crystal tangent, we use Waterford and Stuart
> most days. Just DH and I at home, we eat at the dining table every
> evening, little candlelights burning and food mostly served at the
> table. Yeah, I'm a dinasaur - at 53!

That's the "only way" to dine, Bron. Any other way and you might as
well be eating fast food off paper plates. LOL! Yes, I mean it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucky you having an antique store! It would be very tempting to take
the best pieces unless you are selling it on commission! One of my
girlfriends owns an antique store and cafe in a country town - her
house is full of beautiful things; she only had sons, I always wished
she had a daughter to share the delights. Maybe some DILs will come
along sometime.

-- Bronwyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I got half the china when she died, and all the silverware. I will be
> trying to fill out the set when I settle down again.
>
> Here is her china pattern:
>
> http://www.replacements.com/webquote/LAMREV.htm
>
> Christine (the other one)

For a moment I thought it was similar to 12 sandwich or bread/butter plates
I had inherited. But mine have that cut-out edge. I'm wondering when that
edge was popular. At first glance, it looks like a bunch of broken plates.
Here they a
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/SILSIL58.htm

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 23:49:18 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

> For a moment I thought it was similar to 12 sandwich or bread/butter plates
> I had inherited. But mine have that cut-out edge. I'm wondering when that
> edge was popular. At first glance, it looks like a bunch of broken plates.
> Here they a
> http://www.replacements.com/webquote/SILSIL58.htm

Pretty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:17:21 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>

>>Ah, Christine! I love it! And to think that someone was put off
>>because I'm interested in the lunches served after the funeral. Jeez,
>>at least *my* people are dead! "-) Your conversations remind me of
>>one I had with Beck -- I'd asked the kids to tell me what specifically
>>they want when I croak. Chris took a pass and Beck immediately listed
>>four or five things -- she didn't miss a beat! I gave her the fish eye
>>and said, "You've been thinking about this, have you?" 8-)
>>--
>>

>I let my mother know, in no uncertain terms, that I wanted her china.
>AND her silverware.
>
>I got half the china when she died, and all the silverware. I will be
>trying to fill out the set when I settle down again.
>
>Here is her china pattern:
>
>http://www.replacements.com/webquote/LAMREV.htm
>
>Christine (the other one)

That's really pretty for a teaset, and it would be fabulous for
breakfast in bed on a tray, but not my taste for a dinner service. Isn't
that replacements.com place amazing? Couldn't believe it when I came
across them.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
> thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
> mind.

Page Jill...She has some limoge with green peacocks she will sell to
you really cheap.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:52:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> It's not
>> about the stuff, it's about the memories. The U of MN Extension folks
>> made a presentation program a few years ago called, "Who Gets Grandma's
>> Yellow Pie Plate."

> Those "things" were used or displayed and that created memories.
> Nobody will fight over grandma's yellow pie plate if it was kept in a
> box in the attic. Instead, her inheritors will look at it and think
> about $$ - not about warm fuzzies.

We use some White Martha Stewart stuff I picked up at K-mart. We have
2 little kids at home, it's nice not to have to worry to much about
breakage. I would really love (and will have someday) some nice china.

The only "real" china I have at the moment belonged to my mother-in-law.
She passed away when my husband was young. She battled cancer for 7
long years and was, as far as the family is concerned, a saint of a
woman. My oldest daughter is named after her - I have every intention
of giving the china to her when she gets married. I hope that although
she won't have used it, just knowing where it came from will be enough
sentimental value to make her at least enjoy having it.

Roberta (in VA)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:39:51 -0500, Roberta wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Those "things" were used or displayed and that created memories.
> > Nobody will fight over grandma's yellow pie plate if it was kept in a
> > box in the attic. Instead, her inheritors will look at it and think
> > about $$ - not about warm fuzzies.

> We use some White Martha Stewart stuff I picked up at K-mart. We have
> 2 little kids at home, it's nice not to have to worry to much about
> breakage. I would really love (and will have someday) some nice china.

You've made a very nice choice for everyday dishes.

> The only "real" china I have at the moment belonged to my mother-in-law.
> She passed away when my husband was young. She battled cancer for 7
> long years and was, as far as the family is concerned, a saint of a
> woman. My oldest daughter is named after her - I have every intention
> of giving the china to her when she gets married. I hope that although
> she won't have used it, just knowing where it came from will be enough
> sentimental value to make her at least enjoy having it.

I hope you use it on holidays at the very least! Kids aren't monsters
and will treat the good stuff with due respect. I raised two kids (a
girl and a boy) who took care of my "good" china. Not a single piece
has been broken by them or anyone else in spite of it being used quite
often. For that reason alone, I hate hearing about china sets being
treated like museum pieces. It's meant to be used, so use it! If a
piece is inadvertently broken, so be it or replace it. By doing so,
your daughter will have many fond memories attached to that china
rather than just the thought of a long gone namesake. I can only
envision her keeping the china under lock and key, because that's what
you did. Is that what you want her to do? I sincerely doubt it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:47:06 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>I hope you use it on holidays at the very least! Kids aren't monsters
>and will treat the good stuff with due respect. I raised two kids (a
>girl and a boy) who took care of my "good" china. Not a single piece
>has been broken by them or anyone else in spite of it being used quite
>often. For that reason alone, I hate hearing about china sets being
>treated like museum pieces. It's meant to be used, so use it! If a
>piece is inadvertently broken, so be it or replace it.

A guest on Oprah talked about this -- saving the nice things for fancy
occasions, but no occasion is ever fancy enough so your nice things go
unused. She said, (paraphrased) "The Queen of England is never
coming to your house for dinner. Who is more important than your
family and what is more special than holidays and birthdays with your
family?" Not that it takes nice things to have a special occasion --
we eat off paper plates at holidays on my Mom's side of the family and
I treasure those moments -- but if you have the fancy stuff, use it on
occasion and build some memories and traditions around it.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
LPF LPF is offline

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
> thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
> mind.

the only thing i've had for 25 yrs is the same asshole

i eat off of paper plates

good luck selling that mess on ebay

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Feb 2006 12:45:16 -0800, LPF wrote:

> the only thing i've had for 25 yrs is the same asshole

I see you're into the zen of it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <MFZJf.65496$bF.29964@dukeread07>,
Roberta > wrote:

> The only "real" china I have at the moment belonged to my mother-in-law.
> She passed away when my husband was young. She battled cancer for 7
> long years and was, as far as the family is concerned, a saint of a
> woman. My oldest daughter is named after her - I have every intention
> of giving the china to her when she gets married. I hope that although
> she won't have used it, just knowing where it came from will be enough
> sentimental value to make her at least enjoy having it.
>
> Roberta (in VA)

So, your daughter (who never knew her baba) will inherit a bunch of
dishes in a pattern she didn't select and was never allowed to touch but
she'd darn well better be glad to have them? :-)

I hope you will at least consider using them once in a while starting
when she is young -- maybe on her birthday -- so that she can hear the
stories about her babi who would have loved her so much and would be
happy to see her enjoying baba's favorite special dishes. She doesn't
have to be allowed to wash the plates yet, but if she's three or older
she should be beyond picking up a dinner plate and throwing it just for
the helluva it. Do you have tea parties with her? "Big Girl lunches?"
Those are nice lesson-times for teaching manners and party behaviors.
Maybe use just a salad plate to put your lunch on. But tell her the
stories, for pity's sake! Make some memories for her so she'll look
forward to having the dishes when it's time and not wonder what in heck
she's supposed to do with them!

In the meantime, haul it out once a year on your late MIL's birthday and
use it then if no other time.

My fi'ty cents worth.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

LPF wrote:

>Old Mother Ashby wrote:
>

>>I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post, it's almost that I'm
>>thinking aloud, but other pepole's experiences might help me make up my
>>mind.
>>

>the only thing i've had for 25 yrs is the same asshole
>
>i eat off of paper plates
>
>good luck selling that mess on ebay

I *beg* your pardon?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote

> I *beg* your pardon?

Don't worry, the self-titled big bad barry is best ignored.
Better it should know it's big boring barry.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Dinner Service-piggyback

Hi. Can I please piggy back on this topic? I love to look at the very
ornate china, but don't care to eat off it. I tend to like simple
things, except for dessert plates-I've got my eyes on some crazy
hungarian china with birds on it. I really love the Wedgwood Queen's
Plain http://tinyurl.com/ozx8e , but am worried that this is not a
formal china. The Queen's White is the same pattern in white with
platinum trim http://tinyurl.com/m5jhy , but it seems rather cold to
me. Is either suitable for 'company' china? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:06:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In the meantime, haul it out once a year on your late MIL's birthday and
> use it then if no other time.
>
> My fi'ty cents worth.

and worth every nickle!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Feb 2006 19:21:26 -0800, smith wrote:

> Hi. Can I please piggy back on this topic? I love to look at the very
> ornate china, but don't care to eat off it. I tend to like simple
> things, except for dessert plates-I've got my eyes on some crazy
> hungarian china with birds on it. I really love the Wedgwood Queen's
> Plain http://tinyurl.com/ozx8e , but am worried that this is not a
> formal china. The Queen's White is the same pattern in white with
> platinum trim http://tinyurl.com/m5jhy , but it seems rather cold to
> me. Is either suitable for 'company' china? Thanks!

The plantinum band is too cold for me. I prefer the plain white
myself - I'm a big fan of white on white
Wedgewood:
My personal favorite is.... Edme http://tinyurl.com/ol2qn
Not knowing your taste, also look at
Colosseum http://tinyurl.com/ez8vp
Countryware http://tinyurl.com/fvpz7

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 19 Feb 2006 19:21:26 -0800, smith wrote:
>
>> Hi. Can I please piggy back on this topic? I love to look at the very
>> ornate china, but don't care to eat off it. I tend to like simple
>> things, except for dessert plates-I've got my eyes on some crazy
>> hungarian china with birds on it. I really love the Wedgwood Queen's
>> Plain http://tinyurl.com/ozx8e , but am worried that this is not a
>> formal china. The Queen's White is the same pattern in white with
>> platinum trim http://tinyurl.com/m5jhy , but it seems rather cold to
>> me. Is either suitable for 'company' china? Thanks!

> The plantinum band is too cold for me. I prefer the plain white
> myself - I'm a big fan of white on white
> Wedgewood:
> My personal favorite is.... Edme http://tinyurl.com/ol2qn
> Not knowing your taste, also look at
> Colosseum http://tinyurl.com/ez8vp
> Countryware http://tinyurl.com/fvpz7
>
> --

The Wedgwood Queen's Plain reminds me of a set of pewter plates, bowls,
drinking cups, wine goblets we received as a wedding present. The plates
were similar in design as the Queen's Plain plates, and sort of similar to
the Wilton Armetale (metal) serving plate I have. For this reason, it
reminds me a bit of pub dinnerware.
At the time in the 70's, probably in New England, it was 'in,' but perhaps
it's always considered 'in' in New England, I don't know.
But definitely, it is of English roots.
I wonder if the English pub dwellers were eating off the similar metal
dishes first, or was it royalty eating off porcelain first and then, the
pub dwellers imitating them. I would think the latter. Don't know, tho.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 19 Feb 2006 09:23:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> On 19 Feb 2006 19:21:26 -0800, smith wrote:
>
>> Hi. Can I please piggy back on this topic? I love to look at the very
>> ornate china, but don't care to eat off it. I tend to like simple
>> things, except for dessert plates-I've got my eyes on some crazy
>> hungarian china with birds on it. I really love the Wedgwood Queen's
>> Plain http://tinyurl.com/ozx8e , but am worried that this is not a
>> formal china. The Queen's White is the same pattern in white with
>> platinum trim http://tinyurl.com/m5jhy , but it seems rather cold to
>> me. Is either suitable for 'company' china? Thanks!

> The plantinum band is too cold for me. I prefer the plain white
> myself - I'm a big fan of white on white
> Wedgewood:
> My personal favorite is.... Edme http://tinyurl.com/ol2qn
> Not knowing your taste, also look at
> Colosseum http://tinyurl.com/ez8vp
> Countryware http://tinyurl.com/fvpz7

White on white is not my personal taste, though I know that many prefer it.
Of my various sets of china the most formal pattern I have is Wedgewood
Queensware Cream on Lavender:

http://tinyurl.com/ke2gc

However, it is also available as Cream on Cream. It is definitely suitable
for "company china".

http://tinyurl.com/mhcb2

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

smith wrote:

>Hi. Can I please piggy back on this topic? I love to look at the very
>ornate china, but don't care to eat off it. I tend to like simple
>things, except for dessert plates-I've got my eyes on some crazy
>hungarian china with birds on it. I really love the Wedgwood Queen's
>Plain http://tinyurl.com/ozx8e , but am worried that this is not a
>formal china. The Queen's White is the same pattern in white with
>platinum trim http://tinyurl.com/m5jhy , but it seems rather cold to
>me. Is either suitable for 'company' china? Thanks!

Well, I think either would do, but the platinum trim is slightly more
formal. If platinum seems cold, can you find something similar with a
gold trim?

If you want *company* china you couldn't go past some of the Rosenthal
designs, but only if money was no object.

In the end it depends a lot on the setting. We used to be regulars at
Stephanie's, which in its day bid fair to be the best restaurant in
Australia. It was in a lovely old mansion with wood panelling and
antique furniture, and it was like being a guest in a very well
appointed private dining room - and it wasn't all that expensive for
what you got. Anyway, Stephanie's basic china, supplemented with other
plates when the dish called for it, was V&B's "Amapola". This has large
pink and purple poppies draped across it it dates from the same period
as my "Geranium", and you can't get it any more. It worked beautifully.

What I'm trying to say is, the thing about guests is that you want them
to feel that you have made an effort to be hospitable, that you are
putting the best food you can cook on the best plates you've got, but
you don't want them to be all stiff and unrelaxed.

I'm with you, plain white is best, but you can supplement it with
colourful platters and plates for cakes, for example.

Have fun choosing, I certainly am. I think I've just about made up my
mind on the "Manoir", and I happen to be cashed up at the moment.

Christine

*
*