Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Doctoring Up TJ's V8 Clone?

I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.

Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
>
> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

Depends on how "unhealthy" you consider sugar. It'll cut the vinegary
taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
J. Eric Durbin > wrote:

> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
>
> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:10:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:30:12 -0800, J. Eric Durbin
> wrote:
>
>>I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
>>
>>Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
>>ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

>Salt won't counteract the vinegar taste anyway. You might want to
>look and see how much salt is in there already if you're worried
>about salt.
>
>My suggestion is to add vodka and celery stick.

That thought had occurred to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:03:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> J. Eric Durbin > wrote:
>
>> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
>>
>> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
>> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

>stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
>bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.

Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
headache if it's a bloody Mary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
J. Eric Durbin > wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:03:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > J. Eric Durbin > wrote:
> >
> >> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
> >>
> >> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
> >> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?

> >stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
> >bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

> That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
> give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
> Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
> headache if it's a bloody Mary.

The sugar will cover the taste of the vinegar; the soda will neutralize
the acid without changing the taste other than it will be less acidic.
I do it all the time with spaghetti sauce. It's one way (others often
recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:54:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> It's one way (others often
> recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
> sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
because it's way too sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf <sfpipeline_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:54:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> It's one way (others often
>> recommend sauteeing carrots) to reduce the acidity without making the
>> sauce sweet tasting. Learned it here.

>I absolutely HATE spaghetti sauce that has any amout of carrot in it,
>because it's way too sweet.

Yes, a better plan is to slice up the carrots and add them
to the boiling pasta water a couple minutes before the pasta
is done.

I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
> unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.
>
> Steve

Tomatoes are often too acidic - depending on the variety, season, where
they are grown, soil content, etc.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> I also can't imagine a spaghetti sauce being too acidic
>> unless you accidentally added to much vinegar to it.

>Tomatoes are often too acidic - depending on the variety, season, where
>they are grown, soil content, etc.

Good point. I would not encounter this because the only
tomatoes I buy are either from a farmers market in season (in
which case, I would have tasted one and not purchased if too
acidic), or canned domestic or boxed/jarred Italian tomatos
neither of which are ever acidic.

I normally add vinegar to a spaghetti sauce, usually some red wine
vinegar for acidity and some basalmic for flavor.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Why would you add the carrots to the pasta water? Or was that a joke?

Same reason you'd add any other vegetable to the pasta water
to cook them. Zuchinni (sp?) or bell pepper is more typical in my
household.

My mother was Italian, we do these things. Definitely not
a joke!

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

: On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:03:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
: > wrote:

: >In article >,
: > J. Eric Durbin > wrote:
: >
: >> I tried Trader Joe's V8 clone but found it too vinegary for my taste.
: >>
: >> Is there any way to doctor it up to cut the vinegar without adding a
: >> ton of salt and making it unhealthy?
: >
: >stir in a little baking soda to neutralize the acid. only the tiniest
: >bit. Too much and it'll be kind of ashy tasting,

: That's a new one on me. I would never have though of baking soda, I'll
: give a try as well as Salgud's suggestion of a bit of sugar.

: Hmm, I wonder if bicarbonate of soda would work? I could drop an Alka
: Seltzer in there and kill two birds, less vinegar taste and no
: headache if it's a bloody Mary.

"baking soda" and "bicarbonate of soda" are the exact same thing. You're
probably thinking of "baking powder" which is _not_ the same as "baking
soda".

Clone Info Elpac Eparg Winemaking 3 05-12-2006 04:54 AM
Doctoring Cheerios Denise~* General Cooking 80 07-10-2006 04:48 AM
"Clone" recipes? [email protected] Winemaking 0 16-01-2005 06:50 PM
Clone Info Ryan Wine 5 15-03-2004 07:32 PM