Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low cal cole slaw dressing?

Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.

TIA

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 02 Feb 2006 09:36:55a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.

I'm currently following the Weight Watchers system and I use this on
shredded cabbage with a bit of shredded carrot to make coleslaw. If you
want it sweeter, increase the amount of Splenda.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Dressing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Splenda, or to taste

Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard. Gradually blend in
the buttermilk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to
combine thoroughly.

Chill several hours or overnight before serving. Keeps at least 1 week,
tightly covered, in the refrigerator.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 02 Feb 2006 09:36:55a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
>
> > Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.

> I'm currently following the Weight Watchers system and I use this on
> shredded cabbage with a bit of shredded carrot to make coleslaw. If you
> want it sweeter, increase the amount of Splenda.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Buttermilk Dressing
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 cup buttermilk
> 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
> 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
> 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
> 1 teaspoon dried parsley
> 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> 1 teaspoon Splenda, or to taste
>
> Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard. Gradually blend in
> the buttermilk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to
> combine thoroughly.
>
> Chill several hours or overnight before serving. Keeps at least 1 week,
> tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

Thanks

Lou (Also doing WW)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 02 Feb 2006 11:56:39a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 02 Feb 2006 09:36:55a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
>>
>> > Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet
>> > side.

>> I'm currently following the Weight Watchers system and I use this on
>> shredded cabbage with a bit of shredded carrot to make coleslaw. If
>> you want it sweeter, increase the amount of Splenda.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Buttermilk Dressing
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 cup buttermilk
>> 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
>> 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
>> 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
>> 1 teaspoon dried parsley
>> 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
>> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> 1 teaspoon Splenda, or to taste
>>
>> Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard. Gradually blend
>> in the buttermilk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to
>> combine thoroughly.
>>
>> Chill several hours or overnight before serving. Keeps at least 1
>> week, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright ożo ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA

> Thanks
>
> Lou (Also doing WW)

Ah, in that case you can have 1/3 cup of the dressing for 1 WW Point.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.

There's no law says cole slaw has to have a creamy dressing... sweet n'
sour no fat dressings work fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:36:55 +0000, Lou wrote:

> Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.
>
> TIA
>
> Lou

This is way better than it may sound. Adjust for low cal if you do that
kind of thing.

Asian Style Cabbage Salad

2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/2 cup almonds, slivered
1/2 head chopped cabbage
4 green onions, sliced rounds
1 package Top Ramen noodles with chicken flavor packet, broken

Dressing

2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 package chicken flavor packet from Top Ramen

1. Toast sesame seeds and almonds.

2. Combine cabbage, green onions, toasted sesame seeds and almonds.

3. Mix Dressing and pour over cabbage etc.

4. Let stand in refridgerator for 24 hours. (if you can wait)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:36:55 +0000, Lou wrote:
>
> > Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Lou

> This is way better than it may sound. Adjust for low cal if you do that
> kind of thing.
>
> Asian Style Cabbage Salad
>
> 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
> 1/2 cup almonds, slivered
> 1/2 head chopped cabbage
> 4 green onions, sliced rounds
> 1 package Top Ramen noodles with chicken flavor packet, broken
>
> Dressing
>
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
> 3 tablespoons vinegar
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/2 package chicken flavor packet from Top Ramen
>
> 1. Toast sesame seeds and almonds.
>
> 2. Combine cabbage, green onions, toasted sesame seeds and almonds.
>
> 3. Mix Dressing and pour over cabbage etc.
>
> 4. Let stand in refridgerator for 24 hours. (if you can wait)

Mightn't those almonds get a wee bit soggy in texture? I'd put them in
the mix just before serving...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 02 Feb 2006 03:03:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

> jay wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:36:55 +0000, Lou wrote:
>>

>>>Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Lou

>> This is way better than it may sound. Adjust for low cal if you do that
>> kind of thing.
>>
>> Asian Style Cabbage Salad
>>
>> 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
>> 1/2 cup almonds, slivered
>> 1/2 head chopped cabbage
>> 4 green onions, sliced rounds
>> 1 package Top Ramen noodles with chicken flavor packet, broken
>>
>> Dressing
>>
>> 2 tablespoons sugar
>> 1/2 cup vegetable oil
>> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
>> 3 tablespoons vinegar
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
>> 1/2 package chicken flavor packet from Top Ramen
>>
>> 1. Toast sesame seeds and almonds.
>>
>> 2. Combine cabbage, green onions, toasted sesame seeds and almonds.
>>
>> 3. Mix Dressing and pour over cabbage etc.
>>
>> 4. Let stand in refridgerator for 24 hours. (if you can wait)
>>

> I love cabbage salads. What kind of cabbage would you recommend?

I try to find savoy cabbage or a really green cabbage. My last choice is
white cabbage. In most cabbage salad recipes, I like to add a bit of red
cabbage for contrast.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 02 Feb 2006 03:03:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>

>>jay wrote:

>>>This is way better than it may sound. Adjust for low cal if you do that
>>>kind of thing.
>>>
>>>Asian Style Cabbage Salad
>>>
>>>2 teaspoons sesame seeds
>>>1/2 cup almonds, slivered
>>>1/2 head chopped cabbage
>>>4 green onions, sliced rounds
>>>1 package Top Ramen noodles with chicken flavor packet, broken
>>>
>>>Dressing
>>>
>>>2 tablespoons sugar
>>>1/2 cup vegetable oil
>>>1 teaspoon sesame oil
>>>3 tablespoons vinegar
>>>1 teaspoon salt
>>>1/2 teaspoon black pepper
>>>1/2 package chicken flavor packet from Top Ramen
>>>
>>>1. Toast sesame seeds and almonds.
>>>
>>>2. Combine cabbage, green onions, toasted sesame seeds and almonds.
>>>
>>>3. Mix Dressing and pour over cabbage etc.
>>>
>>>4. Let stand in refridgerator for 24 hours. (if you can wait)
>>>

>>I love cabbage salads. What kind of cabbage would you recommend?
>>

> I try to find savoy cabbage or a really green cabbage. My last choice is
> white cabbage. In most cabbage salad recipes, I like to add a bit of red
> cabbage for contrast.

I asked because cole slaw is known only as something available at KFC
here, afaik. And KFC is rare. Tehrefore, I have no idea what kinds of
cabbage people woudl consider for salads.

I do a have a German vegetarian cookbook that lists the only printed
cole slaw recipe I've ever read. It includes red and white cabbage,
carrots, spring onions and a mayo+yogurt dressing. I love it. The recipe
is one of the reasons I want to but an FP. Easier chopping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

> jay wrote:
> > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:36:55 +0000, Lou wrote:
> >
> >>Looking for a low cal cole slaw dressing. I like it on the sweet side.
> >>TIA Lou

> > Asian Style Cabbage Salad
> >(clipped
> >

> I love cabbage salads. What kind of cabbage would you recommend?

Napa cabbage is pretty nice for cole slaw. It has a much lighter, sweeter
taste and is a bit more lettuce-y. Might be best to salt it and let it stand
for an hour or so to leach out the excess water. It appears to be easier to
digest, too. My 2 cents' worth.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:03:12 +0100, jake wrote:

> I love cabbage salads. What kind of cabbage would you recommend?

There are many of varieties of cabbage and many have multiple names. A
Chinese cabbage variety would be good like Nappa also known as wong nga
bok, siu choy, hakusai, pechay, tsina, and pai-tsai, (see what I mean) but
use whatever you have available in your area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>I love cabbage salads. What kind of cabbage would you recommend?

> There are many of varieties of cabbage and many have multiple names. A
> Chinese cabbage variety would be good like Nappa also known as wong nga
> bok, siu choy, hakusai, pechay, tsina, and pai-tsai, (see what I mean) but
> use whatever you have available in your area.

Thank you for all the suggestions. we have classic Western European
cabbages here, plus napa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>I love cabbage salads. What kind of cabbage would you recommend?

> Napa cabbage is pretty nice for cole slaw.

Iwouldn't have thought to use that, thank you for the idea.

It has a much lighter, sweeter
> taste and is a bit more lettuce-y. Might be best to salt it and let it stand
> for an hour or so to leach out the excess water. It appears to be easier to
> digest, too. My 2 cents' worth.
> Edrena

Can't wait to try it, now.

KFC Cole Slaw Janis Lang Recipes (moderated) 0 27-06-2007 04:15 AM
Cole Slaw with Champagne Vinegar Dressing International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 21-09-2006 03:31 AM
Cole Slaw Dressing 7Hawks Recipes 0 24-11-2004 05:51 PM
Cole Slaw Dressing luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:56 AM
Ma Hannah's Cole Slaw Dressing [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 09-10-2003 03:48 AM