Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Solve your carpet cleaning problems

Solve your carpet cleaning problems
Drainage solutions mop up flooding problems,Flooring the futu The
science and art of ground under our feet,3 On Your Side: Cleaning While
Dreaming,Q: What is the best type of carpet for my basement?,Green
Cleaning Programs in Schools Get High Scores...

http://flying-rugs.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"kimi" > wrote:

> Solve your carpet cleaning problems
> Drainage solutions mop up flooding problems,Flooring the futu The
> science and art of ground under our feet,3 On Your Side: Cleaning While
> Dreaming,Q: What is the best type of carpet for my basement?,Green
> Cleaning Programs in Schools Get High Scores...
>
> http://flying-rugs.blogspot.com/

Or just get rid of the carpet. ;-)

Best move we EVER made!

My late mom's Pulmonologist said that wall to wall carpeting was the
WORST idea modern man ever came up with. It's very unhealthy.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kimi" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Solve your carpet cleaning problems
> Drainage solutions mop up flooding problems,Flooring the futu The
> science and art of ground under our feet,3 On Your Side: Cleaning While
> Dreaming,Q: What is the best type of carpet for my basement?,Green
> Cleaning Programs in Schools Get High Scores...
>
> http://flying-rugs.blogspot.com/

Learn to write clearly, you burnout.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> "kimi" wrote:
>
> > Solve your carpet cleaning problems
> > Drainage solutions mop up flooding problems,Flooring the futu The
> > science and art of ground under our feet,3 On Your Side: Cleaning While
> > Dreaming,Q: What is the best type of carpet for my basement?,Green
> > Cleaning Programs in Schools Get High Scores...
> >
> > http://flying-rugs.blogspot.com/
> >

> Or just get rid of the carpet. ;-)
>
> Best move we EVER made!
>
> My late mom's Pulmonologist said that wall to wall carpeting was the
> WORST idea modern man ever came up with. It's very unhealthy.

Yup, FILTH CITY. Wall to wall carpet can't be cleaned except on its
very topmost surface... is why WOPS love it, especially that thick
plush, the filthiest of all, it's cleaned how they bathe, once a year
they wipe down the top surface with a damp dirty rag. No matter how
often wall to wall carpeting is vacuumed and/or steam cleaned, most of
the schmutz is simply pushed down into the backing and padding, where
it rots, molds, and breeds destructive creatures. And wall to wall
carpeting is ridiculously expensive, because once installled (a good
half it's cost is lost to labor, and a good 25% in stupid padding) is
reduced to the value of used newspaper.

Buy area rugs... for less than an in-home steam cleaning they can be
dry cleaned same as brand new, roll em up and deliver yourself for
free... take them with you when you move, rearrange to redecorate, even
keep extras rolled up in a closet to change with the seasons just as
you do drapes to curtains... and if purchased wisely and treated with
care will appreciate in value over time.... area rugs can even be
shifted and rotated to equalize wear... they'll easily last a lifetime.
Whenever you walk into a home laden with wall to wall carpeting,
regardless how much was spent, and whatever other furnishings are
present, it absolutely signifies that impoverished people live there,
especially impoverished intellect. Imagine, many morons actually
paying more than $50 a sq yd to cover their floors with something
having no more value than used bubble wrap and filthier than a terlit
hadn't been flushed in a month... stinks like it too. Get down on your
hands and knees and sniff your wall to wall... yup, unwashed hairy
armpits of a thousand french whores.

I would never waste my money on wall to wall carpet.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Man... you know you got a dull life when you create a blog about carpet
cleaning.
That's a close second in boredom to the "re-arranging your sock drawer"
blog. kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > "kimi" wrote:
> >
> > > Solve your carpet cleaning problems
> > > Drainage solutions mop up flooding problems,Flooring the futu The
> > > science and art of ground under our feet,3 On Your Side: Cleaning While
> > > Dreaming,Q: What is the best type of carpet for my basement?,Green
> > > Cleaning Programs in Schools Get High Scores...
> > >
> > > http://flying-rugs.blogspot.com/
> > >

> > Or just get rid of the carpet. ;-)
> >
> > Best move we EVER made!
> >
> > My late mom's Pulmonologist said that wall to wall carpeting was the
> > WORST idea modern man ever came up with. It's very unhealthy.

> Yup, FILTH CITY. Wall to wall carpet can't be cleaned except on its
> very topmost surface... is why WOPS love it, especially that thick
> plush, the filthiest of all, it's cleaned how they bathe, once a year
> they wipe down the top surface with a damp dirty rag. No matter how
> often wall to wall carpeting is vacuumed and/or steam cleaned, most of
> the schmutz is simply pushed down into the backing and padding, where
> it rots, molds, and breeds destructive creatures. And wall to wall
> carpeting is ridiculously expensive, because once installled (a good
> half it's cost is lost to labor, and a good 25% in stupid padding) is
> reduced to the value of used newspaper.
>
> Buy area rugs... for less than an in-home steam cleaning they can be
> dry cleaned same as brand new, roll em up and deliver yourself for
> free... take them with you when you move, rearrange to redecorate, even
> keep extras rolled up in a closet to change with the seasons just as
> you do drapes to curtains... and if purchased wisely and treated with
> care will appreciate in value over time.... area rugs can even be
> shifted and rotated to equalize wear... they'll easily last a lifetime.
> Whenever you walk into a home laden with wall to wall carpeting,
> regardless how much was spent, and whatever other furnishings are
> present, it absolutely signifies that impoverished people live there,
> especially impoverished intellect. Imagine, many morons actually
> paying more than $50 a sq yd to cover their floors with something
> having no more value than used bubble wrap and filthier than a terlit
> hadn't been flushed in a month... stinks like it too. Get down on your
> hands and knees and sniff your wall to wall... yup, unwashed hairy
> armpits of a thousand french whores.
>
> I would never waste my money on wall to wall carpet.
>
> Sheldon

I'd not be quite that rude about it, but yeah, that's basically the idea.
It's impossible to really get it truly clean. It's very, very bad for
the sinuses and lungs... Dust, dirt and dust mites live deep in that
padding and no amount of carpet cleaning ever really gets it out.

If you have allergies or lung issues, get rid of the carpet and use area
rugs. Those at least can be washed properly.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"kevnbro" > wrote:

> Man... you know you got a dull life when you create a blog about carpet
> cleaning.
> That's a close second in boredom to the "re-arranging your sock drawer"
> blog. kev

Yeah.
It's far more fun to re-arrange the Lingerie drawer. ;-)

That's where I keep the .357......... <smirk>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>>Or just get rid of the carpet. ;-)
>>>
>>>Best move we EVER made!
>>>
>>>My late mom's Pulmonologist said that wall to wall carpeting was the
>>>WORST idea modern man ever came up with. It's very unhealthy.

>>Yup, FILTH CITY. Wall to wall carpet can't be cleaned except on its
>>very topmost surface... is why WOPS love it, especially that thick
>>plush, the filthiest of all, it's cleaned how they bathe, once a year
>>they wipe down the top surface with a damp dirty rag. No matter how
>>often wall to wall carpeting is vacuumed and/or steam cleaned, most of
>>the schmutz is simply pushed down into the backing and padding, where
>>it rots, molds, and breeds destructive creatures. And wall to wall
>>carpeting is ridiculously expensive, because once installled (a good
>>half it's cost is lost to labor, and a good 25% in stupid padding) is
>>reduced to the value of used newspaper.
>>
>>Buy area rugs... for less than an in-home steam cleaning they can be
>>dry cleaned same as brand new, roll em up and deliver yourself for
>>free... take them with you when you move, rearrange to redecorate, even
>>keep extras rolled up in a closet to change with the seasons just as
>>you do drapes to curtains... and if purchased wisely and treated with
>>care will appreciate in value over time.... area rugs can even be
>>shifted and rotated to equalize wear... they'll easily last a lifetime.
>> Whenever you walk into a home laden with wall to wall carpeting,
>>regardless how much was spent, and whatever other furnishings are
>>present, it absolutely signifies that impoverished people live there,
>>especially impoverished intellect. Imagine, many morons actually
>>paying more than $50 a sq yd to cover their floors with something
>>having no more value than used bubble wrap and filthier than a terlit
>>hadn't been flushed in a month... stinks like it too. Get down on your
>>hands and knees and sniff your wall to wall... yup, unwashed hairy
>>armpits of a thousand french whores.
>>
>>I would never waste my money on wall to wall carpet.
>>
>>Sheldon
>>

> I'd not be quite that rude about it, but yeah, that's basically the idea.
> It's impossible to really get it truly clean. It's very, very bad for
> the sinuses and lungs... Dust, dirt and dust mites live deep in that
> padding and no amount of carpet cleaning ever really gets it out.
>
> If you have allergies or lung issues, get rid of the carpet and use area
> rugs. Those at least can be washed properly.

When we finally own a home - that is exactly what I want to do. My
husband is in the Navy so we move all the darn time...won't buy and have
to sell every 2 years.

I love the look of wood floors, even like the look of some things like
marble tile...carpet just looks nasty too fast :P

Roberta (in VA)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <CA9Ef.82514$4l5.23820@dukeread05>,
Roberta > wrote:

> > I'd not be quite that rude about it, but yeah, that's basically the idea.
> > It's impossible to really get it truly clean. It's very, very bad for
> > the sinuses and lungs... Dust, dirt and dust mites live deep in that
> > padding and no amount of carpet cleaning ever really gets it out.
> >
> > If you have allergies or lung issues, get rid of the carpet and use area
> > rugs. Those at least can be washed properly.

> When we finally own a home - that is exactly what I want to do. My
> husband is in the Navy so we move all the darn time...won't buy and have
> to sell every 2 years.
>
> I love the look of wood floors, even like the look of some things like
> marble tile...carpet just looks nasty too fast :P
>
> Roberta (in VA)

Yeah, no matter what you do to it!
It's a PITA to try to keep clean!

We have woodgrain linoleum tile.
If a tile gets damamged, I can pull it and replace it.
I have extra ones stashed. ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Roberta > looking for trouble wrote in
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>>I'd not be quite that rude about it, but yeah, that's basically the
>>>idea. It's impossible to really get it truly clean. It's very, very
>>>bad for the sinuses and lungs... Dust, dirt and dust mites live deep
>>>in that padding and no amount of carpet cleaning ever really gets it
>>>out.
>>>
>>>If you have allergies or lung issues, get rid of the carpet and use
>>>area rugs. Those at least can be washed properly.

>>When we finally own a home - that is exactly what I want to do. My
>>husband is in the Navy so we move all the darn time...won't buy and
>>have to sell every 2 years.
>>
>>I love the look of wood floors, even like the look of some things like
>>marble tile...carpet just looks nasty too fast :P
>>
>>Roberta (in VA)

> Our condos have all had parquet or hard wood flooring. I *thought* having
> wall to wall in the house would keep maintenance of the floors down. Boy
> was I ever wrong. We've had to buy one of those industrial steam cleaner
> machines and the carpet still shows dirt and stains.
>
> Michael

Yep :P I we have a 3 and a 5 year old and a carpeted dining
room....that's probably all I need to say LOL

Roberta (in VA)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:

> Our condos have all had parquet or hard wood flooring. I *thought* having
> wall to wall in the house would keep maintenance of the floors down. Boy
> was I ever wrong. We've had to buy one of those industrial steam cleaner
> machines and the carpet still shows dirt and stains.

And whenever you take up that carpet you will see how that steamer has
ruined the wood floors, RUINED!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roberta wrote:

> Yep :P I we have a 3 and a 5 year old and a carpeted dining
> room....that's probably all I need to say LOL

That just means your kids are crawling in filth, FILTH! When in a few
years they develop allergies and respiratory disease they can blame
you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> I'll be solving the carpet cleaning problem next year. I'm yanking the
> carpet up and having the hard wood floors redone.

Word to the wise, make sure you get them done when you have
have the windows open and plenty of ventilation. I still got really
sick from it. I would take a hotel next time. I used to know
someone whose husband did floors, he got out because of the
fumes, I thought how strange ... then I found out not so strange
after all.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Dog3 Lonergan wrote:
> "Sheldon" > looking for trouble wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > I would never waste my money on wall to wall carpet.
> >
> > Sheldon

> Biggest mistake we ever made. On top of the lunacy of buying it, we bought
> white wall to wall. Not so good with as many pets as we have. We're going
> to tear it out next year and redo the hardwood flooring. We're also
> thinking about putting down hard wood in the kitchen but that is not a
> definite yet.

We only have carpets in the bedrooms in this house. Rest of the rooms
have ceramic tiles. Very easy to clean, but you have to be careful if
you drop something heavy on them, because they do crack. And... as they
keep changing the designs/patterns its not always easy to replace them.
My folks used to have that wooden parquet flooring... and when stiletto
heels were fashionable, it used to damage them something terrible. I
remember good old Dad sanding them down and re-sealing them fairly
often.
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Roberta wrote:
>
>>Yep :P I we have a 3 and a 5 year old and a carpeted dining
>>room....that's probably all I need to say LOL

> That just means your kids are crawling in filth, FILTH! When in a few
> years they develop allergies and respiratory disease they can blame
> you.

Well - we don't own the home...we are renting (the Navy moves us every 2
years, not really enough time to invest in a home) We do have the
carpets cleaned professionally every 6 months and have an area rug under
the dining table that we can get cleaned more often. Stains are a huge
problem though...if I was someone that owned rental property...I
wouldn't carpet it - it HAS to be more expensive for them in the long run.

I have lived with carpets all my life - I don't have anything wrong with
my lungs and I only have an allergy to shellfish (probably not caused by
carpeting...) We all do the best we can - If they don't blame me for
the carpet I am sure they will blame me for something else...all kids
find SOMETHING to blame their parents for :P

Roberta (in VA)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>
> > I'll be solving the carpet cleaning problem next year. I'm yanking the
> > carpet up and having the hard wood floors redone.

> Word to the wise, make sure you get them done when you have
> have the windows open and plenty of ventilation. I still got really
> sick from it. I would take a hotel next time. I used to know
> someone whose husband did floors, he got out because of the
> fumes, I thought how strange ... then I found out not so strange
> after all.

The new high tech hardwood floor finishes are water based, hardly any
odor at all. It's not the new finish that's a problem, it's removing
the old finish, all that sanding, and a sanding between each of the 3-4
coats of finish, a week's worth of dust storm.... wood dust like you
wouldn't believe... if you have forced air heat or central air be
absolutely certain to shut the system down, or it will become compacted
with wood dust. Seal all closets, cabinets, drawers, every crack with
masking tape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roberta wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
>> Roberta > looking for trouble wrote in

>>> When we finally own a home - that is exactly what I want to do. My
>>> husband is in the Navy so we move all the darn time...won't buy and
>>> have to sell every 2 years.
>>>
>>> I love the look of wood floors, even like the look of some things like
>>> marble tile...carpet just looks nasty too fast :P
>>>
>>> Roberta (in VA)

>> Our condos have all had parquet or hard wood flooring. I *thought*
>> having wall to wall in the house would keep maintenance of the floors
>> down. Boy was I ever wrong. We've had to buy one of those industrial
>> steam cleaner machines and the carpet still shows dirt and stains.
>> Michael
>>

> Yep :P I we have a 3 and a 5 year old and a carpeted dining
> room....that's probably all I need to say LOL
>
> Roberta (in VA)

We've lived in our apartment for less than a year, and my carpet looks
worse then my mother's 15 year old carpet. Even in the areas where my
dad used to keep all his crap. I don't have my own steam cleaner, but I
clean up spills immediately and I rent a cleaner every few months. Still
looks like hell. My ideal home would be hardwood with throw rugs
throughout the house except the kitchen and bath (I'd want cork or
nice-looking linoleum in the kitchen, tile in the bath.)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Roberta wrote:
>
>>Yep :P I we have a 3 and a 5 year old and a carpeted dining
>>room....that's probably all I need to say LOL

> That just means your kids are crawling in filth, FILTH! When in a few
> years they develop allergies and respiratory disease they can blame
> you.

You know, some of us have no control over the floor treatments in our homes.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> someone whose husband did floors, he got out because of the
>> fumes, I thought how strange ... then I found out not so strange
>> after all.

> The new high tech hardwood floor finishes are water based, hardly any
> odor at all.

That *was* the water based.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> someone whose husband did floors, he got out because of the
> >> fumes, I thought how strange ... then I found out not so strange
> >> after all.

> > The new high tech hardwood floor finishes are water based, hardly any
> > odor at all.

> That *was* the water based.

How long ago? I had my floors done about 2 years ago with the new
Bonakemi finish. There was very little odor and in 24 hours was dry
enough to walk on in socks, fully cured in one week. I see now they
have a new dust collection system. I had to deal with the dust storm.

Watch the video
http://www.bona.com/?sr=us

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> That *was* the water based.

> How long ago? I had my floors done about 2 years ago with the new
> Bonakemi finish. There was very little odor and in 24 hours was dry
> enough to walk on in socks, fully cured in one week. I see now they
> have a new dust collection system. I had to deal with the dust storm.

This was about 10 years ago? Somewhere around there. I could
taste the stuff. Horrible. I don't remember a big dust problem, but
rest assured, there must have been. Heh, we'd tried refinishing the floors
ourselves, everyone says it's so easy ... finally called in the pros like we
should have in the first place. (laugh) Guy said, wow, who did this, they
didn't do a very good job. You *know* what I said. Yeah, those people
we bought the house from ...

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:58:33 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:
>
>I'll be solving the carpet cleaning problem next year. I'm yanking the
>carpet up and having the hard wood floors redone.

Word.

I just wrote the check for bamboo. But first we have to get the slab
leveled. Something about mudjacking.

Now there's a mental image! I believe our nice lawn will soon be a
viscious pit of slimy horrors. Try to imagine a machine powerful
enough to stuff liquid concrete under a couple of thousand feet of
solid concrete with enough force to move it up a couple of inches.
Then imagine that machine rolling into your yard.

While you're at it, imagine writing that check.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Roberta wrote:
>>
>> Yep :P I we have a 3 and a 5 year old and a carpeted dining
>> room....that's probably all I need to say LOL

> That just means your kids are crawling in filth, FILTH! When in a few
> years they develop allergies and respiratory disease they can blame
> you.

Right now, totally picturing you sort of wild eyed and crazy, standing on a
street corner screaming about the four floorcoverings of the apocalypse!
REPENT!! FOR THE VACUUM IS NIGH!!!!!!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 05:59:15 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:
>>
>> While you're at it, imagine writing that check.
>>
>> modom
>>

>We had it done to the side patio and the front porch. It wasn't that
>expensive if I recall correctly.

That's reassuring. But the check for the bamboo was pretty steep by
itself. And moving my foundation scares me. The leveler comes well
recommended, but still there are water and gas pipes and sewer pipes
down there, too.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:58:33 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> > wrote:
> >
> >I'll be solving the carpet cleaning problem next year. I'm yanking the
> >carpet up and having the hard wood floors redone.

> Word.
>
> I just wrote the check for bamboo. But first we have to get the slab
> leveled. Something about mudjacking.

They had to do all that to put in hardwoods? Why didn't they just
correct the subflooring?
Bamboo is nice. Not particularly my taste, but *really* nice. My
friend has it in natural. I am a Cherry girl, myself.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Feb 2006 16:28:31 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>modom wrote:

>> I just wrote the check for bamboo. But first we have to get the slab
>> leveled. Something about mudjacking.

>They had to do all that to put in hardwoods? Why didn't they just
>correct the subflooring?

In our house the floor sits on a slab of concrete. There isn't
anything between the foundation and the floor. The slab was poured in
1952, and the soil around Cow Hill heaves astonishingly with changes
in moisture. Though it has substantial footings and poured beams with
lots of rebar in them (according to the blueprints I have, at least),
the slab has cracked under the stress of the shifting soil. One wall
is sagging visibly so that windows don't function properly in it.
What were rectangles are now parallelograms.

The original cork tile floor was covered over with carpet long before
we bought the house, and we bought it knowing that the slab needed
work. It's pretty obviously uneven. Even thick carpet and a thick
pad below that don't hide the problem.

So Saturday I meet the mudjack man, and we talk turkey. (OBFood)

>Bamboo is nice. Not particularly my taste, but *really* nice. My
>friend has it in natural. I am a Cherry girl, myself.

Of course you are!

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom wrote:

> In our house the floor sits on a slab of concrete. There isn't
> anything between the foundation and the floor. The slab was poured in
> 1952, and the soil around Cow Hill heaves astonishingly with changes
> in moisture. Though it has substantial footings and poured beams with
> lots of rebar in them (according to the blueprints I have, at least),
> the slab has cracked under the stress of the shifting soil. One wall
> is sagging visibly so that windows don't function properly in it.
> What were rectangles are now parallelograms.
>
> The original cork tile floor was covered over with carpet long before
> we bought the house, and we bought it knowing that the slab needed
> work. It's pretty obviously uneven. Even thick carpet and a thick
> pad below that don't hide the problem.

Oh, ok. So you sort of had to do it, hardwoods or not, eh? Bummer...

> So Saturday I meet the mudjack man, and we talk turkey. (OBFood)
>
> >Bamboo is nice. Not particularly my taste, but *really* nice. My
> >friend has it in natural. I am a Cherry girl, myself.
> >

> Of course you are!

Oh, am I that transparent?!? Shucks!
-L.