Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default solve your butter measuring problems forever!

what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
some interest:

<http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B00020O3YC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title>

your precise pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> some interest:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B00020O3YC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title>
>
> your precise pal,
> blake

I'll pass. Butter is like garlic - you can never have too much - IMHO,
of course.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> some interest:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B00020O3YC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title>
>
> your precise pal,
> blake

Oh yeah. Another thing to clean. Perfect, though, for people who can't
remember how many tablespoons of butter there are in a stick, and cut
accordingly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> some interest:

Most of the butter I buy comes with a measuring guide on the wrapper, but I
usually just guesstimate it, figuring that a pound is a little more than 2
cups, so a little less than half a pound is one cup, half of that is a
quarter....and so on. I really hate having to measure butter, lard or
vegetable shortening in a measuring cup/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:02:32 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
>> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
>> some interest:
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B00020O3YC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title>

> It really saddens me to think that there's actually a market
> enough for Amazon to carry something like this.
>
> And that 3 people found it useful and gave it 5-Stars.
>
> This is why the World is going to shit.
>
> -sw

There's also a "Pro" model, with a black and chrome finish, that costs
over twice as much. :P

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 2:02�pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> some interest:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>
>
> your precise pal,
> blake

I never knew it was that difficult to slice off a pat of butter. I
now know what I'm giving everyone for Christmas this year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> some interest:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-But...cm_cr-mr-title

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr yers.... I think)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> some interest:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B00020O3YC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title>

Eesh! I don't recall ever having a problem measuring butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 2:31�pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>
> > what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> > whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> > some interest:

> Most of the butter I buy comes with a measuring guide on the wrapper, but I
> usually just guesstimate it, figuring that a pound is a little more than 2
> cups, so a little less than half a pound is one cup, half of that is a
> quarter....and so on. I really hate having to measure butter, lard or
> vegetable shortening in a measuring cup/

Peanut butter is even more difficult to measure accurately, but all
one needs to measure these items is a 2 cup glass measuring cup...
fill with cold water to the 1 cup line and add butter, shrotening,
peanut butter until the water reaches the amount you want, like the 1
1/3 cup marrk will yield 1/3 cup... just pour off the water and there
is the exact amount, and no mess.

Now I will go to look at that gizmo, whatever it is.... I don't think
I've ever measured such items except by eye... I mean can there ever
be too much butter, peanut butter, and chocolate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 1:06 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
> > what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> > whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> > some interest:

> > <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>

> > your precise pal,
> > blake

> I'll pass. Butter is like garlic - you can never have too much - IMHO,
> of course.

I agree, except in baking. There, you need to be relatively precise.

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> blake murphy wrote:
>> > what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
>> > whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
>> > some interest:

>> > <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>

>> > your precise pal,
>> > blake

>> I'll pass. Butter is like garlic - you can never have too much - IMHO,
>> of course.

Oh, yeah. Just polished off a few thick slices of still-warm sourdough
butter and portion control of butter never entered the picture. A friend
once gave me an artsy stainless steel slicer that cuts a quarter-pound stick
into, oh, about 67 slivers. Never used it.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 11:43 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:02:32 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
> > what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> > whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> > some interest:

> > <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>

> It really saddens me to think that there's actually a market
> enough for Amazon to carry something like this.
>
> And that 3 people found it useful and gave it 5-Stars.
>
> This is why the World is going to shit.

Well, if it cheers you up any, I'm pretty sure Mister Quickly's review
is not 100% sincere. So two people.

Either that, or it is sincere and the world is therefore a much more
hilarious place than I had dreamed. So either way things work out OK.

alcibiades

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> some interest:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B00020O3YC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title>
>
> your precise pal,
> blake

I'm a second generation sucker for kitchen gadgets, but that one has to
be one of the sillier ones.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Sheldon > said:
> On Dec 3, 2:31=EF=BF=BDpm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > blake murphy wrote:
> >
> > > what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> > > whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> > > some interest:

> > Most of the butter I buy comes with a measuring guide on the wrapper, but =

> > usually just guesstimate it, figuring that a pound is a little more than 2=

> > cups, so a little less than half a pound is one cup, half of that is a
> > quarter....and so on. I really hate having to measure butter, lard or
> > vegetable shortening in a measuring cup/

> Peanut butter is even more difficult to measure accurately, but all
> one needs to measure these items is a 2 cup glass measuring cup...
> fill with cold water to the 1 cup line and add butter, shrotening,
> peanut butter until the water reaches the amount you want, like the 1
> 1/3 cup marrk will yield 1/3 cup... just pour off the water and there
> is the exact amount, and no mess.

Hmmm, that'd be a great idea for peanut butter or shortening. I
usually measure butter by the eye though...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo(R)" wrote:

> On Dec 3, 1:06 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> > blake murphy wrote:
> > > what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
> > > whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
> > > some interest:

> > > <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>

> > > your precise pal,
> > > blake

> > I'll pass. Butter is like garlic - you can never have too much - IMHO,
> > of course.

> I agree, except in baking. There, you need to be relatively precise.

Not true, of course. People have been baking perfectly good breads,
cakes, pies/tartes and pastries for centuries without ever measuring
anything precisely. Quite often I've made baked goods with the remains
of a packet of butter. It *might* have been the amount needed but was
probably a little less. Structure and taste of the final products are
always as expected. For many things the amount of sugar is reduced from
what is stated in the recipe and the amount of salt is reduced or
eliminated entirely. Stuff wtill works and still tastes excellent. No
precision there.

Given that I currently live in a very dry climate (often need more
liquid than stated) at high altitude (may need to adjust oven temp,
cooking time and occasionally add a bit more flour), following most
baked goods recipes in a 'relatively precise' manner is guaranteed to
fail often. It's easy enough to learn what textures a baking mix should
have and get there without measuring anything precisely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> Sheldon said:
> >
> > Peanut butter is even more difficult to measure accurately, but all
> > one needs to measure these items is a �2 cup glass measuring cup....
> > fill with cold water to the 1 cup line and add butter, shrotening,
> > peanut butter until the water reaches the amount you want, like the 1
> > 1/3 cup marrk will yield 1/3 cup... just pour off the water and there
> > is the exact amount, and no mess.
> >
> > Now I will go to look at that gizmo, whatever it is.... I don't think
> > I've ever measured such items except by EYE... I mean can there > > ever be too much butter, peanut butter, and chocolate.

> Hmmm, that'd be a great idea for peanut butter or shortening. I
> usually measure butter by the eye though...

Um, that's what EYE said... though.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake "The Mick" murphy wrote:

> i thought this product from kitchenart might be of some interest:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>

I'd hate to have to clean that thing... looks like a toys r us gadget
by mattel for portioning play doh... recommended for 2 year olds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> blake "The Mick" murphy wrote:
>>
>> i thought this product from kitchenart might be of some interest:
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>

> I'd hate to have to clean that thing... looks like a toys r us gadget
> by mattel for portioning play doh... recommended for 2 year olds.

And not a single mention of the words "wash" or "clean" on the web
page...hmmm....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> Bobo wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> > > I'll pass. Butter is like garlic - you can never have too much - IMHO,
> > > of course.

> > I agree, except in baking. There, you need to be relatively precise.

> Not true, of course. People have been baking perfectly good breads,
> cakes, pies/tartes and pastries for centuries without ever measuring
> anything precisely. Quite often I've made baked goods with the remains
> of a packet of butter. It *might* have been the amount needed but was
> probably a little less. Structure and taste of the final products are
> always as expected. For many things the amount of sugar is reduced from
> what is stated in the recipe and the amount of salt is reduced or
> eliminated entirely. Stuff wtill works and still tastes excellent. No
> precision there.
>
> Given that I currently live in a very dry climate (often need more
> liquid than stated) at high altitude (may need to adjust oven temp,
> cooking time and occasionally add a bit more flour), following most
> baked goods recipes in a 'relatively precise' manner is guaranteed to
> fail often. It's easy enough to learn what textures a baking mix should
> have and get there without measuring anything precisely.

Precisely. Of all cookery baking requires the *least* precision.
People like to think precise measuing is important for baking because
those are the people who don't understand the concepts involved, and
therefore are frightened, really *ascared*. The methods employed and
of course ingredient quality/freshness are far more important aspects
for sucessful baking. And in all cookery experience trumps measuring
every time... anyone who needs to cook with precise measurements is
not an accomplished cook... if after one's first month in the kitchen
they are still using measuring spoons they will never know how to
cook, not ever... following a recipe is not cooking, that's like paint
by numbers is art. Professional bakers do all measuring by eye,
hand, and interpolation... no scales either, because they can read the
weights printed on the packaging. It's actually stupid to accurately
measure ingredients for baking especially, because many ingredients
used for baking are simply not consistant. Accurate measuing doesn't
gaurantee success because unless one possesses the experience/ability
to make adjustments for inconsistances they are guaranteed to fail.
When people harp on precise measuring for baking you can bet your
bipee they are the ones who only bake box cakes, make pizza from
frozen dough, and have a freezer filled with Pillsbury dough boy
tubes... yes, with premixed baked products you sorta hafta gotta
follow the directions fairly accurately... but even with box cake no
one can tell if you added two eggs instead of three... I got yer
accuracy, even the dumbest dago mixing c-ment doesn't measure... yo,
carmine, make a more juicy.

At a real bakery you'll never see two loaves of bread, two cakes, two
pies, etc. exactly precisely alike... when you do then you're in the
prepackaged baked goods aisle of the stupidmarket... Wonder bread is
measured.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

> Professional bakers do all measuring by eye,
> hand, and interpolation... no scales either, because they can read the
> weights printed on the packaging.>
> Sheldon

You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs volume.
And, if a pro baker is making six cakes, a quantity not so unusual for a
small bakery, seeing "Net Weight 50 lbs" on a bag of flour isn't much help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 11:15�am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > �Professional bakers do all measuring by eye,
> > hand, and interpolation... no scales either, because they can read the
> > weights printed on the packaging.>
> > Sheldon

> You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs volume.

Show me.

> And, if a pro baker is making six cakes, a quantity not so unusual for a
> small bakery, seeing "Net Weight 50 lbs" on a bag of flour isn't much help..

Bakers are more intelligent than you... for six cakes they would know
to grab the ten pound sack of flour, and then use their bench knife to
slash it in half... you aren't a baker is all. Of course in a real
bakery they'd never make just six cakes unless they were full
commercial sized sheet cakes... they wouldn't dirty the equipment let
alone waste the oven for just six little cakes.

The flour purchased by bakeries comes as 60 pound bags, with six 10
pound sacks contained in each.... very few bakeries purchase bulk in
50 or 100 pound sacks, too messy. The thing people fail to realize is
it's the commercial user that dictates the packaging, not the
supplier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Dec 4, 11:15?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > ?Professional bakers do all measuring by eye,
> > hand, and interpolation... no scales either, because they can read the
> > weights printed on the packaging.>
> > Sheldon

> You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs
> volume.

> Show me.

Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 11:37�am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> On Dec 4, 11:15?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > > ?Professional bakers do all measuring by eye,
> > > hand, and interpolation... no scales either, because they can read the
> > > weights printed on the packaging.>
> > > Sheldon

> > You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs
> > volume.
> > Show me.

> Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
ZERO, you're just a bluff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Dec 4, 11:37?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> On Dec 4, 11:15?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > > ?Professional bakers do all measuring by eye,
> > > hand, and interpolation... no scales either, because they can read the
> > > weights printed on the packaging.>
> > > Sheldon

> > You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs
> > volume.
> > Show me.

> Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
ZERO, you're just a bluff.

===================

Think hard, Sheldon. You were explaining why it's preferable to measure
flour by weight instead of volume, and you said this is how pro bakers
measure.

Your need to be right causes you to pretend you didn't say certain things in
the past, because it's convenient for you to pretend at the moment. Next
week, you'll contradict whatever you said in THIS thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> On Dec 4, 11:37?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

>>> You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs
>>> volume.
>>> Show me.

>> Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

> You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
> the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
> ZERO, you're just a bluff.
>
> ===================
>

> Think hard, Sheldon. You were explaining why it's preferable to measure
> flour by weight instead of volume, and you said this is how pro bakers
> measure.
>
> Your need to be right causes you to pretend you didn't say certain things in
> the past, because it's convenient for you to pretend at the moment. Next
> week, you'll contradict whatever you said in THIS thread.

FFS - the "holiday season" approaches. Can't we all just stop this
arguing and 'name calling' BS for a week or three?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> On Dec 4, 11:37?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

>>> Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

>> You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
>> the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
>> ZERO, you're just a bluff.
>>
>> ===================
>>

>> Think hard, Sheldon. You were explaining why it's preferable to measure
>> flour by weight instead of volume, and you said this is how pro bakers
>> measure.
>>
>> Your need to be right causes you to pretend you didn't say certain things
>> in the past, because it's convenient for you to pretend at the moment.
>> Next week, you'll contradict whatever you said in THIS thread.

> FFS - the "holiday season" approaches. Can't we all just stop this arguing
> and 'name calling' BS for a week or three?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

What holiday?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
>>> the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
>>> ZERO, you're just a bluff.
>>>
>>> ===================
>>>

>>> Think hard, Sheldon. You were explaining why it's preferable to measure
>>> flour by weight instead of volume, and you said this is how pro bakers
>>> measure.
>>>
>>> Your need to be right causes you to pretend you didn't say certain things
>>> in the past, because it's convenient for you to pretend at the moment.
>>> Next week, you'll contradict whatever you said in THIS thread.

>> FFS - the "holiday season" approaches. Can't we all just stop this arguing
>> and 'name calling' BS for a week or three?
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> What holiday?

"The" holiday...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> FFS - the "holiday season" approaches. Can't we all just stop this
>>> arguing and 'name calling' BS for a week or three?
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy

>> What holiday?

> "The" holiday...

I'm a Druid. "The holiday" is when the ground thaws.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:30:33 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> On Dec 4, 11:37?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

>>> Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

>> You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
>> the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
>> ZERO, you're just a bluff.
>>
>> ===================
>>

>> Think hard, Sheldon. You were explaining why it's preferable to measure
>> flour by weight instead of volume, and you said this is how pro bakers
>> measure.
>>
>> Your need to be right causes you to pretend you didn't say certain things in
>> the past, because it's convenient for you to pretend at the moment. Next
>> week, you'll contradict whatever you said in THIS thread.
>>

>FFS - the "holiday season" approaches. Can't we all just stop this
>arguing and 'name calling' BS for a week or three?

isn't it time for sheldon to take off to his winter hovel in costa
rica anyway?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:36:39 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>>> FFS - the "holiday season" approaches. Can't we all just stop this arguing
>>> and 'name calling' BS for a week or three?
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy

>> What holiday?
>>

>"The" holiday...

you know - the end of mary's confinement.

your pal,
joseph

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:46:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> What holiday?

>> "The" holiday...

>I'm a Druid. "The holiday" is when the ground thaws.

nonsense. i'm sure the druids find a reason to get drunk around this
time of year also.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:57:43 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:02:32 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
>>> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
>>> some interest:
>>>
>>> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B00020O3YC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title>

>> It really saddens me to think that there's actually a market
>> enough for Amazon to carry something like this.
>>
>> And that 3 people found it useful and gave it 5-Stars.
>>
>> This is why the World is going to shit.
>>
>> -sw

>There's also a "Pro" model, with a black and chrome finish, that costs
>over twice as much. :P
>
>Bob

if you're going to measure butter pats, you might as well be
professional about it. nothing worse than a rank amateur butter-pat
slicer.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:51:13 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:57:43 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> It really saddens me to think that there's actually a market
>>> enough for Amazon to carry something like this.
>>>
>>> And that 3 people found it useful and gave it 5-Stars.
>>>
>>> This is why the World is going to shit.

>> There's also a "Pro" model, with a black and chrome finish, that costs
>> over twice as much. :P

>Gimme a razor blade... One that cuts vertical, not horizontally.
>
>-sw

you silly boy, that's for wrists. how will that help with butter?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:09:46 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Dec 3, 2:02?pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> what with the discussion of the butter bells or balls or bongos or
>> whatever they are, i thought this product from kitchenart might be of
>> some interest:
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-Buttermate-Measure-Dispense/dp/B0002...>
>>
>> your precise pal,
>> blake

>I never knew it was that difficult to slice off a pat of butter. I
>now know what I'm giving everyone for Christmas this year.

my first thought was to get one for jill, but i couldn't remember if
butter was something she didn't like, didn't use, or had never heard
of, or something they didn't eat in thailand.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote
>>I'm a Druid. "The holiday" is when the ground thaws.
>>

> nonsense. i'm sure the druids find a reason to get drunk around this
> time of year also.

There's ample evidence that the time of year at which the birth of Christ
is officially celebrated was roughly overlaid on Pagan/Druid celebration
dates
(winter solstice) to better soften up the natives for conversion. This was
when the
missionaries were still soft. They started the Death to the Heathen stuff
later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> > Given that I currently live in a very dry climate (often need more
> > liquid than stated) at high altitude (may need to adjust oven temp,
> > cooking time and occasionally add a bit more flour), following most
> > baked goods recipes in a 'relatively precise' manner is guaranteed to
> > fail often. It's easy enough to learn what textures a baking mix should
> > have and get there without measuring anything precisely.

> Precisely. Of all cookery baking requires the *least* precision.
> People like to think precise measuing is important for baking because
> those are the people who don't understand the concepts involved, and
> therefore are frightened, really *ascared*.

Spoken like someone who is not a baker. I admit to cooking most things by
the seat of my pants and regard recipes as guidelines only, but baking is a
different matter. While cakes are very versatile and can turn out nicely,
though sometimes different, with huge variations in ingredients, cookies,
biscuits and pastry tend to be much better when you follow the recommended
amounts of ingredients as specified in the recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 12:03�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> On Dec 4, 11:37?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>

> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > > You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs
> > > volume.
> > > Show me.

> > Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

> You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
> the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
> ZERO, you're just a bluff.
>
> ===================
>
> Think hard, Sheldon. You were explaining why it's preferable to measure
> flour by weight instead of volume, and you said this is how pro bakers
> measure.

You didn't read the entire post, obviously didn't comprehend it all...
and taking something out of context makes you a liar.

By weight is preferable to volume, but that doesn't mean bakers use a
scale, just as I said here, they use weight by reading the weight
printed on the package. Why would they bother to weigh out pounds
when the pounds are printed on the package. duh Recipes for
commercial bakeries are developed around the standard package sizes,
there is no need to measure... ingredients are handled as little as
possible, wasted motion is lost profits.

Professional bakers don't need any stink'n scale, they got all the
scale they need with their eyes and hands. A professional baker can
scoop a five pound pile of flour by hand the same as a profesional
butcher can trim out a five pound roast... after many thousands of
times both can come within an ounce.... the gal at the deli I go to
can slice different cold cuts to within one slice of a pound every
time.. but she's only been at it some 40 years.

You see, JSB, the difference is you can't actually do anything (I know
that from your posts), you can only talk trash... that's why you don't
know anything.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Dec 4, 12:03?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> On Dec 4, 11:37?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>

> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > > You said the exact opposite about flour, in a thread about weight vs
> > > volume.
> > > Show me.

> > Not worth the trouble, thorazine boy.

> You're obviously liar... and what you know about cooking would fit on
> the head of pin with plenty of room to spare... actually you know
> ZERO, you're just a bluff.
>
> ===================
>
> Think hard, Sheldon. You were explaining why it's preferable to measure
> flour by weight instead of volume, and you said this is how pro bakers
> measure.

You didn't read the entire post, obviously didn't comprehend it all...
and taking something out of context makes you a liar.

By weight is preferable to volume, but that doesn't mean bakers use a
scale, just as I said here, they use weight by reading the weight
printed on the package. Why would they bother to weigh out pounds
when the pounds are printed on the package. duh Recipes for
commercial bakeries are developed around the standard package sizes,
there is no need to measure... ingredients are handled as little as
possible, wasted motion is lost profits.

Professional bakers don't need any stink'n scale, they got all the
scale they need with their eyes and hands. A professional baker can
scoop a five pound pile of flour by hand the same as a profesional
butcher can trim out a five pound roast... after many thousands of
times both can come within an ounce.... the gal at the deli I go to
can slice different cold cuts to within one slice of a pound every
time.. but she's only been at it some 40 years.

You see, JSB, the difference is you can't actually do anything (I know
that from your posts), you can only talk trash... that's why you don't
know anything.

Sheldon

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next time I talk to my neighbor the bakery owner, I'll see what she says
about all this, thorazine boy.

Maybe you and she worked in different kinds of bakeries. What kind did YOU
work in?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 2:52�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Next time I talk to my neighbor the bakery owner, I'll see what she says
> about all this, thorazine boy.
>
> Maybe you and she worked in different kinds of bakeries. What kind did YOU
> work in

But you knew so much before when you posted bullshit, why do you now
need to ask someone?!?!?

I don't need to ask someone about bakeries, I spent eight years
working as a professional baker... not to mention I attended and
graduated from the very best baking schools on the planet. But since
you're such a wet behind the ears newbie you wouldn't know any of
this.

Ask some ficticious neighbor that no one can cross examine, yeah,
right... you are the phoniest baloney thrower to ever grace rfc...
you're not any kind of bsker, you couldn't even get shake and bake
right. With every post you prove that you know less and less, and
that you are less and less credible... and you do this all by
yourself, so don't go blaming any neighbor. You'r such a loser and a
liar.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Dec 4, 2:52?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Next time I talk to my neighbor the bakery owner, I'll see what she says
> about all this, thorazine boy.
>
> Maybe you and she worked in different kinds of bakeries. What kind did YOU
> work in

But you knew so much before when you posted bullshit, why do you now
need to ask someone?!?!?

I don't need to ask someone about bakeries, I spent eight years
working as a professional baker...

No, you didn't.