Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple Black Bean Soup

2 cans black beans, drained
2 cans (4 cups) chicken stock
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp.ground ancho chili peppers
1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili peppers
1/2 c. monteray jack and colby cheese, shredded

That's about it. Make it into soup

Serve with grated monteray jack and colby (or some pepper jack) cheese
grated on top and with corn tortillas broken into the soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>2 cans black beans, drained
> 2 cans (4 cups) chicken stock
> 1 small onion, diced
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
> 1/2 tsp.ground ancho chili peppers
> 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili peppers
> 1/2 c. monteray jack and colby cheese, shredded
>
> That's about it. Make it into soup
>
> Serve with grated monteray jack and colby (or some pepper jack) cheese
> grated on top and with corn tortillas broken into the soup.
>
> Jill

Thanks for your recipe, Jill.

I do the same sort of thing to have with eggs and tortillas for breakfast (I
like gorditas - thicker tortillas).
Open a can of black beans (I like Goya)

Fry a little onion and garlic in a skillet in whatever oil you like, put the
beans in and heat thoroughly. DH mashes them up a little with a fork. I
keep a glass mason jar container of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (from a
can) in the refrigerator. I add about a tsp. of this to the beans and heat
a little more. (You don't have to mash the beans, leave them whole.)

Put a little cheese over the top. Add a slice or two of avocado if you have
it handy.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> 2 cans black beans, drained
> 2 cans (4 cups) chicken stock
> 1 small onion, diced
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
> 1/2 tsp.ground ancho chili peppers
> 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili peppers
> 1/2 c. monteray jack and colby cheese, shredded
>
> That's about it. Make it into soup
>
> Serve with grated monteray jack and colby (or some pepper jack) cheese
> grated on top and with corn tortillas broken into the soup.
>
> Jill

I usually make my black bean soup cuban style (at least that's how I
know it) - topped with cookedrrice, sour cream, and diced onions. This
sounds like a nice alternative.

I also like black beans and brown rice flavored with tomato and orange
juice and green peppers and onions. I can post the recipe if anyone
wants it - it's delicious.

Thanks for another good 'beany' option!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> 2 cans black beans, drained
> 2 cans (4 cups) chicken stock
> 1 small onion, diced
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
> 1/2 tsp.ground ancho chili peppers
> 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili peppers
> 1/2 c. monteray jack and colby cheese, shredded
>
> That's about it. Make it into soup
>
> Serve with grated monteray jack and colby (or some pepper jack) cheese
> grated on top and with corn tortillas broken into the soup.
>
> Jill

Sounds good!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default gordita recipe?

> I do the same sort of thing to have with eggs and tortillas for
> breakfast (I like gorditas - thicker tortillas).
> Open a can of black beans (I like Goya)

Do you have a good recipe for gorditas? I'd love to give fresh ones a
whirl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> 2 cans black beans, drained
> 2 cans (4 cups) chicken stock
> 1 small onion, diced
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
> 1/2 tsp.ground ancho chili peppers
> 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili peppers
> 1/2 c. monteray jack and colby cheese, shredded
>
> That's about it. Make it into soup
>
> Serve with grated monteray jack and colby (or some pepper jack) cheese
> grated on top and with corn tortillas broken into the soup.
>
> Jill

I sure would not use canned beans, dried are so much better. And bbs has to
have cumin and lots of fresh garlic! I don't use chicken stock either--but I
do agree with the peppers and cheese!

And we agree that black beans are delish. And nutritionally packed, too.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pgluth1" > wrote in message

>> I do the same sort of thing to have with eggs and tortillas for
>> breakfast (I like gorditas - thicker tortillas).
>> Open a can of black beans (I like Goya)

> Do you have a good recipe for gorditas? I'd love to give fresh ones a
> whirl.

No, I don't. I buy them from a global-type market that sells all different
kinds of tortillas. The ones I buy, however, really look homemade. I've
had several different brands, and the last brand I bought is the best.
Usually I scan a brand, but evidently I didn't.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pgluth1 wrote:
> > I do the same sort of thing to have with eggs and tortillas for
> > breakfast (I like gorditas - thicker tortillas).
> > Open a can of black beans (I like Goya)

> Do you have a good recipe for gorditas? I'd love to give fresh ones a
> whirl.

Exactly the same recipe as regular corn tortillias, only formed about
double thickness, and when cooked they puff forming a pocket similar to
pita.

http://www.rollybrook.com/gorditas.htm

Gorditas also refer to 'thick' Latinas.

http://www.elreyano.com/galerias/fat.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"uz051235198" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> 2 cans black beans, drained
>> 2 cans (4 cups) chicken stock
>> 1 small onion, diced
>> 2 cloves garlic, minced
>> 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
>> 1/2 tsp.ground ancho chili peppers
>> 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili peppers
>> 1/2 c. monteray jack and colby cheese, shredded
>>
>> That's about it. Make it into soup
>>
>> Serve with grated monteray jack and colby (or some pepper jack) cheese
>> grated on top and with corn tortillas broken into the soup.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I sure would not use canned beans, dried are so much better. And bbs has
> have cumin and lots of fresh garlic! I don't use chicken stock either--but
> do agree with the peppers and cheese!
>
> And we agree that black beans are delish. And nutritionally packed, too.

There are a lot of options for black beans in flavoring. They are a global
bean and support many 'different' herbs and spices and additions.

Dried beans may be much better, but I am not able to make dried as good as
any canned Goya's. The only kind of beans that have been successful for my
tastes, cooked from the dried state, is Anazazi beans purchased in
Arizona. They are the best dried beans I've ever had. I found them again
about ten years ago in a natural food store in CT. They were not that great
(and also $3.09#).
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee wrote:

> I do the same sort of thing to have with eggs and tortillas for breakfast
> (I like gorditas - thicker tortillas).
> Open a can of black beans (I like Goya)
>
> Fry a little onion and garlic in a skillet in whatever oil you like, put
> the beans in and heat thoroughly. DH mashes them up a little with a fork.
> I keep a glass mason jar container of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
> (from a can) in the refrigerator. I add about a tsp. of this to the beans
> and heat a little more. (You don't have to mash the beans, leave them
> whole.)
>
> Put a little cheese over the top. Add a slice or two of avocado if you
> have it handy.

You have deconstructed chilaquiles.

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/...ilaquiles.html

Bob