General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,057
Default Soup morphed itself!

Interesting story about dinner last night!

I decided to make a big pot of creamy veggie soup. I have assorted
recipes: potato-cauliflower, broccoli cheese, etc, but I had this
memory of a pale orange soup I'd made once before that had a really
rich veggie taste. I rummaged around my files and found some notes on a
soup I called "A little bit ofeverything soup" I also looked at the
Witer vegetable Soup posted here last week by Michael, and kind of
combined the 2 recipes.

I sauteed an onion, a leek, and 3 shallots in olive oil. Then I added 3
peeled, chopped potaotes; 1 peeled diced turnip, about 1/3 lb chopped
baby carrots, 3 ribs of celery, 2 tomatoes, 1/4 lb green beans, 1/4 c
minced parsley, 1/2 a zucchini, a handful of cauliflower florets, and
added to it 4 c of veggie stock and some thyme. Then I decided to dump
in the remaining half a can of tomato paste in my fridge. Simmered it
all down for half an hour or so, with the intention of pureeing it to a
velvety smooth goodness and adding a touch of cream.

Well, it musthave been the tomato paste that did it. When I returned to
my soup pot half an hour later, lo and behold, I found a lovely pot of
minestrone waiting for me! I pureed half of it and used it as cream of
veggie soup for dinner, but the other half a potful got a can of white
beans and a bunch of orzo added to it, plus a rind of parmesan. It gets
to sit in the fridge for a day or two and then it will be dinner
.....I'll make bruschetta with it, using an artichoke topping and
parmesan cheese.

The cream of veggie ggot served with a loaf of rosemary-black pepper
soda bread, and a gorgeous salad of romaine, apples, mushrooms, roasted
salted almonds, green onions, and small cubes of sage derby cheese. It
was dressed with a light buttermilk-lemon-dill-garlic dressing. Yum,
yum, yum!

I'm still a litte confused by the whole experience, though. I've never
gone into the kitchen thinking I was cooking one thing and found
something completely different butequally delicious waiting for me!
(PS, one of the reasons I don't make minestrone that often is that i
get a little lazy about all the chopping. Ha! Joke's on me I guess!)

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,284
Default Soup morphed itself!

In article .com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> Interesting story about dinner last night!
>

<snipped>
>
> I'm still a litte confused by the whole experience, though. I've never
> gone into the kitchen thinking I was cooking one thing and found
> something completely different butequally delicious waiting for me!
> (PS, one of the reasons I don't make minestrone that often is that i
> get a little lazy about all the chopping. Ha! Joke's on me I guess!)


I like to call it "leftovers soup". ;-)
It's a great way to use up stuff in the 'frige that is not enough to
make a meal out of by itself.

Well done!

Where's the pic???
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,057
Default Soup morphed itself!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I like to call it "leftovers soup". ;-)
> It's a great way to use up stuff in the 'frige that is not enough to
> make a meal out of by itself.
>
> Well done!
>
> Where's the pic???
> --


Anyone got a spare digital camera? (I don't function too well in the
technoology ago, lol, I still buy rolls of film.....)

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Soup morphed itself!


"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Interesting story about dinner last night!
>
> I decided to make a big pot of creamy veggie soup. I have assorted
> recipes: potato-cauliflower, broccoli cheese, etc, but I had this
> memory of a pale orange soup I'd made once before that had a really
> rich veggie taste. I rummaged around my files and found some notes on a
> soup I called "A little bit ofeverything soup" I also looked at the
> Witer vegetable Soup posted here last week by Michael, and kind of
> combined the 2 recipes.
>
> I sauteed an onion, a leek, and 3 shallots in olive oil. Then I added 3
> peeled, chopped potaotes; 1 peeled diced turnip, about 1/3 lb chopped
> baby carrots, 3 ribs of celery, 2 tomatoes, 1/4 lb green beans, 1/4 c
> minced parsley, 1/2 a zucchini, a handful of cauliflower florets, and
> added to it 4 c of veggie stock and some thyme. Then I decided to dump
> in the remaining half a can of tomato paste in my fridge. Simmered it
> all down for half an hour or so, with the intention of pureeing it to a
> velvety smooth goodness and adding a touch of cream.
>
> Well, it musthave been the tomato paste that did it. When I returned to
> my soup pot half an hour later, lo and behold, I found a lovely pot of
> minestrone waiting for me! I pureed half of it and used it as cream of
> veggie soup for dinner, but the other half a potful got a can of white
> beans and a bunch of orzo added to it, plus a rind of parmesan. It gets
> to sit in the fridge for a day or two and then it will be dinner
> ....I'll make bruschetta with it, using an artichoke topping and
> parmesan cheese.
>
> The cream of veggie ggot served with a loaf of rosemary-black pepper
> soda bread, and a gorgeous salad of romaine, apples, mushrooms, roasted
> salted almonds, green onions, and small cubes of sage derby cheese. It
> was dressed with a light buttermilk-lemon-dill-garlic dressing. Yum,
> yum, yum!
>
> I'm still a litte confused by the whole experience, though. I've never
> gone into the kitchen thinking I was cooking one thing and found
> something completely different butequally delicious waiting for me!
> (PS, one of the reasons I don't make minestrone that often is that i
> get a little lazy about all the chopping. Ha! Joke's on me I guess!)
>


Jude, I'd love the recipe for the buttermilk dressing! Thanks, Robin


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,057
Default Soup morphed itself!

RobinB. wrote:

>
> Jude, I'd love the recipe for the buttermilk dressing! Thanks, Robin


1/2 c sour cream (you can use plain yogurt)
1/2 c buttermilk
2 T lemon juice
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 t dried dill
salt & pepper to taste

Whisk together in small bowl. Chill to let the flavors blend and the
garlic mellow.



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,675
Default Soup morphed itself!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I like to call it "leftovers soup". ;-)
> It's a great way to use up stuff in the 'frige that is not enough to
> make a meal out of by itself.



I was introduced to this as "muskgo" soup and thought the "muskgo" must
be related to the muskrat. Then it was explained that the soup is made
from everything in the refrigerator that "must go."


--Lia

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,284
Default Soup morphed itself!

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I like to call it "leftovers soup". ;-)
> > It's a great way to use up stuff in the 'frige that is not enough to
> > make a meal out of by itself.

>
>
> I was introduced to this as "muskgo" soup and thought the "muskgo" must
> be related to the muskrat. Then it was explained that the soup is made
> from everything in the refrigerator that "must go."
>
>
> --Lia
>


<lol>
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,000
Default Soup morphed itself!

Jude wrote:

> I'm still a litte confused by the whole experience, though.
> I've never
> gone into the kitchen thinking I was cooking one thing and
> found
> something completely different butequally delicious waiting for
> me!
> (PS, one of the reasons I don't make minestrone that often is
> that i
> get a little lazy about all the chopping. Ha! Joke's on me I
> guess!)


Reminds me of Tuscany's Ribollita, a kind of minestrone with
"cavolo nero" (literally: black squash. Does it exist?),
cannellini beans and bread crumbs: on day 1 it is "minestra di
pane" (bread soup), then on day 2 it noticeably changes taste
with just a re-heat. The name ribollita comes from that:
re-boiled.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sicko’s Soup (Cabbage Soup. GREAT for Sickness) DinkingAround Recipes 0 19-03-2014 10:10 PM
REC - Brie Cheese Soup / Sweet Potato Soup - RFC Cookbook page 22 Rusty[_1_] Recipes 0 09-03-2009 05:01 AM
Was Another Party Invite, then morphed into Potluck.... Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 47 16-06-2008 06:06 PM
Crockpot Southwestern Pumpkin Soup Aka Korma Soup [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 22-10-2007 03:48 PM
Soup Cook Along -Modified Farmhouse Supper Soup Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 4 05-03-2006 08:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"