Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe search.

Is this one of those newsgroups where you can request a recipe and
somebody will post their recipe?

I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the morning
on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said "if you
would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and get it",
will I never could find it.

Well anyway, if anybody has a rcipe for this cake would you please post it?

If it happens I'll say thank you in advance.

Thanks

Bill W.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bill Wright" > wrote

> I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the morning
> on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said "if you
> would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and get it",
> will I never could find it.

This it?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...0831?id=100831

PASTEL DE TRES LECHES
Pastel de tres leches is a traditional Nicaraguan Celebration Cake usually
reserved for the holiday season. In this recipe we preserve the traditional
presentation, and add some typical American holiday flavors.
The cake is composed of four components: Sponge Cake, Rum Milk Syrup,
Meringue, and Cranberry Compote.

Sponge Cake
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
Rum Milk Syrup
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
1 can heavy cream (use empty can from condensed milk - 1 1/4 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark spiced rum (Meyers or Captain Morgan will do), optional

Meringue
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

Cranberry Compote
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup walnut halves (or pieces)
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup water
1/2 cup light brown sugar
4 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon cornstarch (diluted in just enough cold water to make a slurry)

For Sponge Cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour cake pan, and line with parchment
paper. Sift flour with baking powder and cinnamon. Using a standing mixer
with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until frothy, then slowly add
sugar to tighten whites to semi stiff peaks. Add yolks one at a time.
Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk.
Pour batter into pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until the middle
springs back when touched and edges pull slightly away from pan. Cool
thoroughly on a wire rack.

For Rum Milk Syrup:
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Whip thoroughly with a wire whisk
and reserve. (If made in advance, refrigerate and stir before using.)

For Meringue:
In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water, and bring to boil. When water
begins to boil, begin whipping egg whites using a standing mixer with the
whisk attachment.

When sugar reaches the soft ball stage on a candy thermometer, keep the egg
whites mixing on slow speed, and steadily pour sugar into the side of the
bowl (keeping it away from the whisk). Increase the speed to high, and whip
until cool (5 minutes or less). Meringue should be smooth and shiny.
Reserve.

For Cranberry Compote:
In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except cornstarch. Bring to boil,
then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the fruits are
tender.

While stirring rapidly, add the cornstarch slurry, and allow the mixture to
boil rapidly for one minute. Remove from heat, and remove the spices. Cool
thoroughly and reserve.

To Assemble:
Unmold cake while slightly warm, and slice off the hard top with a serrated
knife. Place cake on serving platter and spoon rum syrup over cake a little
at a time, until it is all absorbed, repeat until all the syrup is used. Ice
the top of the cake with the meringue. Refrigerate until cool. Top with the
compote or slice and serve it alongside the cake.

Makes 1 10x3-inch cake.
Epicurious Television
2002
© Michael Lomonaco, 2002

Attached Thumbnails
Recipe search.-ingredients_hed.gif  Recipe search.-preperation_hed.gif
Posted to rec.food.cooking
dee dee is offline

It's spelled Tres Leche (3 milks) cake, and, although I didn't look it
up on epicurious, spelling it correctly woud probably make it show up
on their site. Or do a google search for variations, and, compare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
AC AC is offline

Bill Wright write:

> Is this one of those newsgroups where you can request a recipe and
> somebody will post their recipe?
>
> I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the morning
> on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said "if you
> would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and get it",
> will I never could find it.
>
> Well anyway, if anybody has a rcipe for this cake would you please post

it?

there are tons of recipes available for tres leche cake. search google.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bill Wright wrote:
> I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the morning
> on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said "if you
> would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and get it",
> will I never could find it.
> Thanks

> Bill W.

My epicurious.com "tres leches(plural) cake" turned up 3 recipes for
devil's food cake. Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Here is what you are looking for:
>http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/100831

>Michael

Aah yes! the "Pastel De... " that'll get ya' everytime.
Of course, unless he actually said, "pastel de tres leches", I can see
how one could get frustrated searching for it on the website. kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kevnbro" > wrote

> Aah yes! the "Pastel De... " that'll get ya' everytime.
> Of course, unless he actually said, "pastel de tres leches", I can see
> how one could get frustrated searching for it on the website. kev

I didn't find tres leches he might be looking for by searching on
epicurious, so I went to google and keyed in michael lomonaco
leches cake. Bingo.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bill Wright > wrote:

> Is this one of those newsgroups where you can request a recipe and
> somebody will post their recipe?

Nope, that's rec.food.recipes although I haven't been there in years.

> I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the morning
> on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said "if you
> would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and get it",
> will I never could find it.
>
> Well anyway, if anybody has a rcipe for this cake would you please post it?
>
> If it happens I'll say thank you in advance.

You won't thank me for advice, I'm afraid. It's in poor taste to
complain about somebody's spelling, but I'll have to warn you that if
you ask a computer for something and you don't spell it right, you won't
get a good response. I went to:

http://www.epicurious.com/

and asked for:

tres leches

and got a nice recipe.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 30 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> This it?
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...0831?id=100831

Ummm...looking around...no that wasn't it...post another loverly
recipe...sneaking silently away...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:04:51 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>Bill Wright > looking for trouble wrote in
m:

>> Is this one of those newsgroups where you can request a recipe and
>> somebody will post their recipe?
>>
>> I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the
>> morning on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said
>> "if you would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and
>> get it", will I never could find it.
>>
>> Well anyway, if anybody has a rcipe for this cake would you please
>> post it?
>>
>> If it happens I'll say thank you in advance.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bill W.
>>

>Here is what you are looking for:
>
>http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/100831
>
>Michael

That's a lovely recipe, but with one exception. What size/kind of cake
pan do you use? The recipe simply says "cake pan", but doesn't specify
the size. It says the finished cake is 10"x3", but that doesn't help
either. I have 8" and 9" square cake pans, but that won't get you a
10x3 cake.

Any suggestions?

Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
cathy > wrote:

> That's a lovely recipe, but with one exception. What size/kind of cake
> pan do you use? The recipe simply says "cake pan", but doesn't specify
> the size. It says the finished cake is 10"x3", but that doesn't help
> either. I have 8" and 9" square cake pans, but that won't get you a
> 10x3 cake.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Cathy

Round cake pan, 10" diameter, 3" deep.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet
Posted to rec.food.cooking
dee dee is offline

This is one of those recipes that every baker and every family have
their own version. After checking out a few, it's amazing how vaired
they are. Some people vary with spice, some with fruit, some with milk,
substituting coconut milk for one of the milks. There's also a 'quatro
leche' cake on the google search which uses 4 milks.The list of
variations seems to be endless. Hope you find one you like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bill Wright wrote:
> Is this one of those newsgroups where you can request a recipe and
> somebody will post their recipe?
>
> I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the morning
> on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said "if you
> would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and get it",
> will I never could find it.
>
> Well anyway, if anybody has a rcipe for this cake would you please post it?
>
> If it happens I'll say thank you in advance.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill W.

Try: http://tinyurl.com/eyoh3
for a bunch of recipes and sites. I didn't find it on epicurious, either.

BTW, you spelled both epicurious and tres leches cake wrong.
It's hard to navigate online under those circumstances.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:15:42 GMT, Bill Wright >
wrote:

>Is this one of those newsgroups where you can request a recipe and
>somebody will post their recipe?
>
>I was watching Michael LaMonico (spelling ??) he comes on in the morning
>on the travel channel, and he maid a Tres Letcha Cake and said "if you
>would like a copy of the recipe simply go to epicurios.com and get it",
>will I never could find it.
>
>Well anyway, if anybody has a rcipe for this cake would you please post it?
>
>If it happens I'll say thank you in advance.
>
>Thanks
>
>Bill W.

ya had that spelling for "Epicurious" a little cock-eyed, check this
out:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/109274

Bill