Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

Default Cheesecake Recipes

All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone want
to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked ones, (many
different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only have one recipe
for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a wonderful baked
caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 21 Jan 2006 11:57:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone
> want to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked
> ones, (many different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only
> have one recipe for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a
> wonderful baked caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.
>
> Jen

Personally, I prefer plainer cheesecakes myself, although I love them
served with fruit toppings or alongside.

The recipe that Dee Randall posted in the other thread about cheesecake
sounds quite good. The one below is one of my favorites.

* Exported from MasterCook *

New York Cheesecake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 crumb-crust recipe -- made with finely ground
graham crackers
5 packages cream cheese -- (8-oz) softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
5 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Make crumb crust as directed in separate recipe. Preheat oven to 550°F.
Beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, and zests with an electric mixer
until smooth. Add eggs and yolks, 1 at a time, then vanilla, beating on low
speed until each ingredient is incorporated and scraping down bowl between
additions.

Put springform pan with crust in a shallow baking pan. Pour filling into
crust (springform pan will be completely full) and bake in baking pan (to
catch drips) in middle of oven 12 minutes, or until puffed. Reduce
temperature to 200°F and continue baking until cake is mostly firm (center
will still be slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken), about 1 hour
more.

Continue baking for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until cake is pulling away from
the sides of the pan. Turn the oven off when finished cooking and leave the
cake in the oven to cool overnight.

Refrigerate cake, loosely covered, at least 6 hours. Remove side of pan and
transfer cake to a plate.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
8.19...
> On Sat 21 Jan 2006 11:57:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>
>> All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone
>> want to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked
>> ones, (many different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only
>> have one recipe for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a
>> wonderful baked caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.
>>
>> Jen

> Personally, I prefer plainer cheesecakes myself, although I love them
> served with fruit toppings or alongside.
>
> The recipe that Dee Randall posted in the other thread about cheesecake
> sounds quite good. The one below is one of my favorites.

I didn't see her cheesecake recipe! I'll keep a copy of this one though,
thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 01:12:27a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 8.19...
>> On Sat 21 Jan 2006 11:57:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>>
>>> All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone
>>> want to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked
>>> ones, (many different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only
>>> have one recipe for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a
>>> wonderful baked caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.
>>>
>>> Jen

>> Personally, I prefer plainer cheesecakes myself, although I love them
>> served with fruit toppings or alongside.
>>
>> The recipe that Dee Randall posted in the other thread about cheesecake
>> sounds quite good. The one below is one of my favorites.

> I didn't see her cheesecake recipe! I'll keep a copy of this one though,
> thanks.
>
> Jen

You're welcome. Following is essentially what Dee posted. I had copied
it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dee Randall's Cheesecake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

24 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cups sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 eggs
3 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Wrap the exterior of an 8-inch springform pan with heavy-duty aluminum
foil. Generously butter the bottom and sides of the pan. Add graham
cracker crumbs and shake to even coat pan surfaces. Dump excess crumbs.
Set aside. In a shallow roasting pan big enough to fit the cake pan, pour
about 1-inch of water and place it on the center rack of the oven to
preheat.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese, ricotta, sour
cream and sugar substitute on low speed for about 1 minute until well
blended.

In a separate bowl, using a wire whisk, mix heavy cream, vanilla, lemon
juice, eggs, and egg yolks until blended.

Turn the mixer on low speed, and slowly pour the egg mixture into the cream
cheese mixture. Beat just until blended and then turn off; be careful not
to over-whip.

Pour batter into the greased springform pan. Place pan into the heated
water bath. Bake for 15 minutes, and then lower the oven temperature to 275
degrees F. Continue baking for 1 1/2 hours, or until top is light golden
brown and cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Turn the oven off
when finished cooking and leave the cake in the oven to cool for 3 more
hours. (This will keep the cake nice and tall.) Then remove cake and
refrigerate before serving. Serve chilled.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"Jen" > wrote in message

> All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for
> them. Anyone want to share their favourite recipes? I've
> only ever made uncooked ones, (many different types
> and flavours, and very yummy), and I only have one recipe
> for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a
> wonderful baked caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake
> that I'd kill for.

I'm very fond of this one -- not quite plain, not with a sour cream topping!
But not so fancy, either. I can highly recommend the book _Cheesecake
Extraordinaire_, from which this recipe comes. It's got all the fancy
cheesecakes you could want.

I will say that I wasn't so happy with the crust on this one -- not because
I don't like vanilla wafer crusts, but because the cookies I used (not real
Nilla Wafers, which I can't get here) got soggy. Next time, I'm going
to fool around with the Oatmeal Cookie Crust recipe which follows (which I
*think* I got from the Quaker Oats site) or try pre-baking vanilla wafer
crust.

Super New York-Style Cheesecake

From Cheesecake Extraordinaire

Vanilla Wafer Crust

1-3/4 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers

1/2 cup butter, melted

In a small bowl stir together crushed wafers and melted butter. Stir till
well combined. Press crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides
of a greased 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.

New York Filling

32 ounces cream cheese

1 cup sugar

3 tablespoons flour

5 eggs

1/3 cup whipping cream

1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel

1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and flour. Beat with an
electric mixer till smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after
each addition. Stir in whipping cream, orange peel, lemon peel, and 1
teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust.

Bake at 350F (176C) for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 200F (93C) and
bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the center no longer looks wet or
shiny. Remove the cake from the oven. Stir together sour cream, 2
tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Spread over warm
cheesecake.

Return cheesecake to the oven and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove from
oven and run a knife around the inside edge of the pan. Do not chill
cheesecake.

Sour Cream Topping

1 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small bowl stir together sour cream, sugar, and vanilla extract.
Spread sour cream mixture over warm cheesecake. Bake at 350F (176C) for an
additional 15 minutes. Chill, uncovered, overnight. Makes 12-18 slices.

Oatmeal Cookie Crust

1-1/2 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

8 tbsp (1 stick) plus 2 tbsp butter, melted

Spray bottom and sides of 13x9" baking pan with cooking spray [I'd probably
skip this, for the cheesecake, plus make allowances for the difference in
the size of the pan]. In large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking
soda and salt; mix well. Stir in butter; mix well. Press firmly into an
even layer on bottom of pan. Follow baking instructions for each variation
[then a number of other recipes using the crust are listed -- I think I'd
bake it for a bit until lightly browned].

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

"Jen" > wrote in
:

> All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone
> want to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked
> ones, (many different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only
> have one recipe for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a
> wonderful baked caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill
> for.
>
> Jen

Hi Jen,

I've never made the uncooked sort of cheesecake, only baked ones. I've
eaten the unbaked ones, but prefer baked.

I've made this one a couple of times, though haven't made the caramel
sauce. The crust is made with butternut biscuits (which have changed name
to butternut cookies - don't know when that happened, I'm sure they
weren't called that when I was a kid - but I digress...) and hazelnuts -
really yummy.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.as...onname=archive

I swirled a couple of spoonfuls of jam through the mixture after pouring
it into the pan, which is an idea I got from the following recipe. I've
only made this the once, but it is a very nice special occasion recipe.
In the original recipe they piled berries and rose petals on top of the
cake - I didn't have any rose petals, so just piled it high with
strawberries, as I had used strawberry jam. This cheesecake has no crust.

Summer Rose Cheesecake (Better Homes & Garden Magazine - Australian - Dec
93)

Note: Australian tbsp = 20ml, or 4 tsp. Australian cup = 250ml

450g cream cheese, room temp
3 tsps cornflour (corn starch)
2 tbsp strained lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup good quality berry jam
200g caster sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups sour cream

White Chocolate Icing

1 x 250g packet cream cheese, room temp
170g good quality white chocolate, melted and cooled
120g unsalted butter, softened
3 tsp strained lemon juice

Garnish

Berries of choice - 2 to 3 punnets
Rose petals - unsprayed!

Preheat oven to 180C. Butter a 20cm springform tin and line base with
baking paper. Wrap outside of tin tightly in double layer of foil to
prevent seepage. In a large mixing bowl beat on medium speed, the cream
cheese and sugar until very smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in the
cornflour. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Scrape down the sides to ensure everything is smoothly mixed. Add the
lemon juice, vanilla and salt and beat until well combined. Beat in the
sour cream until just blended. Pour a third of the cheesecake mixture
into the prepared tin. Stir jam and drizzle half of it over this. Add
another third of the filling and repeat drizzling with the remaining jam,
cover with the remaining filling. Use a small knife to cut down through
the batter and swirl just a few times to marble the jam through the
filling. Place the tin in a larger baking pan and pour in enough very hot
water to come about 3cm up the sides of the cake tin. Transfer to oven
and bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven without opening door and leave
cake for 1 hour. Remove to wire rack and cool. When cool remove foil and
cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or up to 5 days.

For the icing - beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Gradually
beat in the cooled chocolate until smooth, then beat in the butter and
lemon juice. Use immediately, or if storing in the fridge, return to cool
room temp and beat before using. When ready to ice the cheesecake, remove
from fridge, place the pan on a very hot, damp towel then run a thin
spatula around the sides to loosen the cake from the pan. Invert onto a
flat plate, release sides and remove bottom of tin and paper. Use paper
towels to absorb any excess moisture on cake then re-invert onto serving
platter. Smooth a thin layer of icing evenly over top and sides of cake.

If liked, fill a piping bag with a star tip with remaining icing and pipe
a border around top and base of cake. Refrigerate until firm then cover
with plastic wrap. When ready to eat, pile berries and rose petals (snip
out bitter white base of each petal) into centre of cake and serve with
extra berries, if liked. Cut with a hot knife.

Serves 10-12.

Rhonda Anderson - all typed out, now!
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

> White Chocolate Icing
>
> 1 x 250g packet cream cheese, room temp
> 170g good quality white chocolate, melted and cooled
> 120g unsalted butter, softened
> 3 tsp strained lemon juice

White Chocolate Icing!!! Do I know you! How did you know that's one of my
all time favourite things?? I'll have to try that one soon. Butternut
Snaps is one of my favourite biscuits too, we've always just called them
butternut snaps, I didn't even know that biscuits or cookies was in the
title. I'm from Victoria, maybe they're packaged differently. Thanks for
those.

I've made a few different uncooked ones, if anyone's interested in recipes.
I've made some really yummy ones.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
8.19...
> On Sun 22 Jan 2006 01:12:27a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 8.19...
>>> On Sat 21 Jan 2006 11:57:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

>>> Personally, I prefer plainer cheesecakes myself, although I love them
>>> served with fruit toppings or alongside.
>>>
>>> The recipe that Dee Randall posted in the other thread about cheesecake
>>> sounds quite good. The one below is one of my favorites.

>> I didn't see her cheesecake recipe! I'll keep a copy of this one though,
>> thanks.
>>
>> Jen

> You're welcome. Following is essentially what Dee posted. I had copied
> it.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Dee Randall's Cheesecake
>
> Recipe By :
> Categories :

Ah, ha -- now I see - MasterCook is a software program that people use to
enter recipes. I've thought that they were recipes that came from a
particular website. Because when I've been looking for a recipe, I see a
lot of "Exported from MasterCook" recipes.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 07:06:55a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Dee Randall wrote:

> Ah, ha -- now I see - MasterCook is a software program that people use to
> enter recipes. I've thought that they were recipes that came from a
> particular website. Because when I've been looking for a recipe, I see a
> lot of "Exported from MasterCook" recipes.
> Dee Dee

All this time I'd been thinking the same thing. I imagined it was a big
online cookbook.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> Ah, ha -- now I see - MasterCook is a software program that people use to
>> enter recipes. I've thought that they were recipes that came from a
>> particular website. Because when I've been looking for a recipe, I see a
>> lot of "Exported from MasterCook" recipes.

> All this time I'd been thinking the same thing. I imagined it was a big
> online cookbook.

(laugh!) I well remember the first time I realized that wasn't the
case. I tremulously asked Melba's Jammin' if she could give me the
recipe for white bread made in my food processor, I'd lost the book.
Bingo, two seconds, Effortlessy Downloaded from Mastercook.

Huh? Oh. Got it.

Thanks again for the recipe, Barb.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Julia Altshuler wrote on 22 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Dee Randall wrote:
>
> > Ah, ha -- now I see - MasterCook is a software program that people
> > use to enter recipes. I've thought that they were recipes that came
> > from a particular website. Because when I've been looking for a
> > recipe, I see a lot of "Exported from MasterCook" recipes.
> > Dee Dee

> All this time I'd been thinking the same thing. I imagined it was a
> big online cookbook.
>

> --Lia

Now your cooking is also software

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:57:52 GMT, "Jen" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone want
>to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked ones, (many
>different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only have one recipe
>for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a wonderful baked
>caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.

This is an old standard with my family that everyone loves:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Lindy's Famous Cheesecake

desserts

1 cup flour; sifted
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup butter; softened
Filling:
5 8 oz. cream cheese; softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
frozen strawberries; thawed

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon peel and vanilla. Make
well in center; add egg yolk and butter. Mix with fingertips until
dough cleans side of bowl. Form into a ball and wrap in waxed paper.
Refrigerate for one hour.

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease the bottom and side of a 9" springform
pan. Remove the side from the pan. Roll one third of dough on bottom
of springform pan; trim edge of dough. Bake 8 - 10 mins, or until
golden.

Meanwhile, divide dough into 3 parts. Roll each part into a 2 1/2"
strip, 10" long. Put together springform pan, with the baked crust on
the bottom. Fit dough strips to side of pan, joining ends to line
inside completely. Trim dough so it comes only 3/4 of the way up side
of pan. Refrigerate until ready to fill.

Preheat oven to 500F. Make Filling: In a large bowl of electric mixer,
combine cheese, sugar, flour, lemon and orange peel, and vanilla. Beat
at high speed, just to blend. Beat in eggs and egg yolks, one at a
time. Add cream, beating just until well combined. Pour mixture into
springform pan. Bake 10 mins. Reduce temperature to 250F and bake 1
hour longer.

Let cheesecake cool in wire rack. Glaze top with strawberries.
Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. To serve, loosen pastry from side of
pan with spatula. Remove side of springform pan. Cut cheesecake into
wedges.

Contributor: McCall's New Cookbook

Yield: 20 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"Jen" > wrote in message
> All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone want
> to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked ones,
> (many different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only have one
> recipe for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a wonderful
> baked caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.
>
> Jen

Jen,
This is the best cheesecake I've ever made. It comes out perfectly every
time I make it, and it couldn't be simpler to do.
Creamy Lemon Cheesecake

NOTE: You can make this *any* flavor. Just follow a couple simple rules:
First, if making chocolate cheesecake, use melted chocolate, not cocoa or
"liquid chocolate" or Hershey's syrup. And when using other flavors, whether
it be orange juice, or liqueur, don't add more than 1/4-1/3 cup additional
liquid.

Crust:
4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

Combine until it looks like wet sand, then pour into a 9" springform pan.
Rotate the pan to get a light coating of crumbs all around the sides. Press
as you go. Press remaining mixture into the bottom. Set aside, and preheat
oven to 325*f.

For the cheesecake:
20 oz cream cheese
1 cup + 2 Tbsp (8 oz) sugar
1 7/8 cup (16 oz) sour cream
3 large eggs
1/3 cup strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp very finely grates lemon zest (if you have a Microplane, it works
beautifully)

Place cream cheese and sugar into the bowl of your food processor and blend
until very smooth. Make sure there are no lumps, because once you add
liquids, you will never get them out. Scrape down the bowl.
Add the sour cream and process until smooth again. Add the eggs, one at a
time, pulsing to incorporate each egg before adding the next. Scrape down
the bowl.
Add the lemon juice (or whatever flavoring you chose), and lemon zest (omit
if using other flavor) and combine well. Pour into the crust and set on a
sheet pan with 1/2 inch sides to catch any butter that leaks out.
Bake 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until cheesecake is set
around edges, but still has a loose looking, creamy area about 2-3 inches
across directly in the center. This will firm up when chilled. Remove from
oven and place on a rack to cool completely.
Do not refrigerate until completely cooled. This will prevent cracks.

If you don't have a processor, you can make this in the mixer, but have the
ingredients at room temp before proceeding.

The last time I made this, I used blood oranges in place of the lemon, and
served it with sliced strawberries. Everyone raved!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

> Jen,
> This is the best cheesecake I've ever made. It comes out perfectly every
> time I make it, and it couldn't be simpler to do.
> Creamy Lemon Cheesecake

So many wonderful cheesecakes! I don't know where to start. Thanks all.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Jen wrote:

> All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone want
> to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked ones, (many
> different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only have one recipe
> for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a wonderful baked
> caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.

The recipe on the inside of a Philadelphia Cream Cheese box is pretty darned
good. You can make a fruit topping for it. I have all sorts of interesting
flavoured cheese cakes, but a plain old baked cheese cake is still my
favourite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ravinwulf

>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:57:52 GMT, "Jen" >
>rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone want
>>to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked ones, (many
>>different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only have one recipe
>>for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a wonderful baked
>>caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.

This is our all-time favorite...

Regards,
Tracy R.

Montana's Mom's Dynamite Cheesecake

----CRUST----
16 each graham crackers; crushed
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon flour
----FILLING----
16 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large lemon, juice and grated rind; yellow part only
----TOPPING----
1 pint sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Crust: Mush up with fingers and press firmly into bottom of springform
pan.

Filling: Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of crust and bake
for 25 minutes (or until set) at 375 degrees. Cool.

Topping: Blend. Pour on top of cooled filling and bake at 375 degrees
for 5 to 8 minutes.

A MUST: Cheesecake must set in refrigerator for at least 12 hours
before it will be firm enough to slice well. If you get impatient and
cut it before it's completely set, the top will be runny.

BTW, this is the *best* cheesecake in the world, bar none!

Tracy's Notes: Ms. Katzen does not lie. This is the absolute best.

Source: _The Moosewood Cookbook_ by Mollie Katzen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

> This is our all-time favorite...
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.
>

> Montana's Mom's Dynamite Cheesecake
>
> ----CRUST----
> 16 each graham crackers; crushed
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 1 tablespoon honey
> 1 tablespoon flour
> ----FILLING----
> 16 ounces cream cheese
> 1/3 cup sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 large lemon, juice and grated rind; yellow part only
> ----TOPPING----
> 1 pint sour cream
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>
> Crust: Mush up with fingers and press firmly into bottom of springform
> pan.
>
> Filling: Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of crust and bake
> for 25 minutes (or until set) at 375 degrees. Cool.
>
> Topping: Blend. Pour on top of cooled filling and bake at 375 degrees
> for 5 to 8 minutes.
>
> A MUST: Cheesecake must set in refrigerator for at least 12 hours
> before it will be firm enough to slice well. If you get impatient and
> cut it before it's completely set, the top will be runny.
>
> BTW, this is the *best* cheesecake in the world, bar none!
>
> Tracy's Notes: Ms. Katzen does not lie. This is the absolute best.
>
> Source: _The Moosewood Cookbook_ by Mollie Katzen

I checked out from the library a new Moosewood cookbook "Simple Suppers."
Looks very good. Good enough to buy -- although I think I own all the
Moosewood/Mollie/etc. books and haven't opened them in some time now.
I used to watch her programs faithfully a long time ago; I know that little
boy of hers must be a family man by now. I like her 'simple' recipes.

Did you bake this recipe yet? It seems different to put the cooled
cheesecake back in at 375º, doesn't it. Wondering.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 08:12:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ravinwulf?

>>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:57:52 GMT, "Jen" >
>>rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>>
>>>All this talk about cheesecakes is making me hungry for them. Anyone
>>>want to share their favourite recipes? I've only ever made uncooked
>>>ones, (many different types and flavours, and very yummy), and I only
>>>have one recipe for a very plain baked one. A local cafe here does a
>>>wonderful baked caramel and macadamia nut cheesecake that I'd kill for.

> This is our all-time favorite...
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.
>

> Montana's Mom's Dynamite Cheesecake
>
> ----CRUST----
> 16 each graham crackers; crushed
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 1 tablespoon honey
> 1 tablespoon flour
> ----FILLING----
> 16 ounces cream cheese
> 1/3 cup sugar
> 4 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 large lemon, juice and grated rind; yellow part only
> ----TOPPING----
> 1 pint sour cream
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>
> Crust: Mush up with fingers and press firmly into bottom of springform
> pan.
>
> Filling: Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of crust and bake
> for 25 minutes (or until set) at 375 degrees. Cool.
>
> Topping: Blend. Pour on top of cooled filling and bake at 375 degrees
> for 5 to 8 minutes.
>
> A MUST: Cheesecake must set in refrigerator for at least 12 hours
> before it will be firm enough to slice well. If you get impatient and
> cut it before it's completely set, the top will be runny.
>
> BTW, this is the *best* cheesecake in the world, bar none!
>
> Tracy's Notes: Ms. Katzen does not lie. This is the absolute best.
>
> Source: _The Moosewood Cookbook_ by Mollie Katzen

I agree, this is a very good cheesecake. It reminds me a bit of what the
original Sara Lee cheesecakes tasted like back in the 1950s. Back then the
SL cheesecake was better than what most people knew how to make at home.
Likewise, the original Mountain Top pies that were, in the beginning, far
better than what the average home baker could manage. Like many good
things, they decline with time.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 08:27:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

>> This is our all-time favorite...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tracy R.
>>

>> Montana's Mom's Dynamite Cheesecake
>>
>> ----CRUST----
>> 16 each graham crackers; crushed
>> 4 tablespoons butter
>> 1 tablespoon honey
>> 1 tablespoon flour ----FILLING----
>> 16 ounces cream cheese
>> 1/3 cup sugar
>> 4 large eggs
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>> 1 large lemon, juice and grated rind; yellow part only ----TOPPING----
>> 1 pint sour cream
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla
>>
>> Crust: Mush up with fingers and press firmly into bottom of springform
>> pan.
>>
>> Filling: Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of crust and bake
>> for 25 minutes (or until set) at 375 degrees. Cool.
>>
>> Topping: Blend. Pour on top of cooled filling and bake at 375 degrees
>> for 5 to 8 minutes.
>>
>> A MUST: Cheesecake must set in refrigerator for at least 12 hours
>> before it will be firm enough to slice well. If you get impatient and
>> cut it before it's completely set, the top will be runny.
>>
>> BTW, this is the *best* cheesecake in the world, bar none!
>>
>> Tracy's Notes: Ms. Katzen does not lie. This is the absolute best.
>>
>> Source: _The Moosewood Cookbook_ by Mollie Katzen

> I checked out from the library a new Moosewood cookbook "Simple
> Suppers." Looks very good. Good enough to buy -- although I think I own
> all the Moosewood/Mollie/etc. books and haven't opened them in some time
> now. I used to watch her programs faithfully a long time ago; I know
> that little boy of hers must be a family man by now. I like her
> 'simple' recipes.
>
> Did you bake this recipe yet? It seems different to put the cooled
> cheesecake back in at 375º, doesn't it. Wondering.
> Dee Dee

Speaking for myself, not really. I make several different cheesecakes that
have a sour cream topping and that procedure is pretty well standard. It's
just in there long enough to "set" the topping.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:43:38 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>> Jen,
>> This is the best cheesecake I've ever made. It comes out perfectly every
>> time I make it, and it couldn't be simpler to do.
>> Creamy Lemon Cheesecake

>So many wonderful cheesecakes! I don't know where to start. Thanks all.
>
>Jen

I agree with Jen. I have saved all the cheesecake recipes. I will
gradually work my way through them, over years! I seldom make
cheesecakes (calories!) but particularly love baked ones.

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

>>So many wonderful cheesecakes! I don't know where to start. Thanks all.
>>
>>Jen
>>

> I agree with Jen. I have saved all the cheesecake recipes. I will
> gradually work my way through them, over years! I seldom make
> cheesecakes (calories!) but particularly love baked ones.
>
> Kathy in NZ

Actually I've decided I'll just make a half quantity of one of them with no
base, just in a casserole dish. That way we get a good taste of the main
part of it. I'll gradually work my way through them that way. And when I
pick my favourite fillings I'll make the whole thing for special days.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

It seems different to put the cooled
>> cheesecake back in at 375º, doesn't it. Wondering.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Speaking for myself, not really. I make several different cheesecakes
> that
> have a sour cream topping and that procedure is pretty well standard.
> It's
> just in there long enough to "set" the topping.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Thanks for the yay vote on this procedure. I know nothing about
cheesecakes, of course, so it seemed like it might 'do something odd' to the
cheesecake. Good enough.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

> Speaking for myself, not really. I make several different cheesecakes
> that
> have a sour cream topping and that procedure is pretty well standard.
> It's
> just in there long enough to "set" the topping.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Are all the toppings the same?? Or are there different types, or flavours??
I'm just thinking I might try different types of toppings as well.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 24 Jan 2006 01:29:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

>> Speaking for myself, not really. I make several different cheesecakes
>> that have a sour cream topping and that procedure is pretty well
>> standard. It's
>> just in there long enough to "set" the topping.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

> Are all the toppings the same?? Or are there different types, or
> flavours?? I'm just thinking I might try different types of toppings as
> well.

Most are just sour cream, sugar, and a flavoring extract that can be
varied, but there are a couple...

Pineapple - Sour Cream Cheesecake

Ingredients - Cheesecake:
1 pound cream cheese
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs

Ingredients - Topping:
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 pint sour cream
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, and eggs until creamy. Pour into an 8-
inch buttered cake pan. Bake 50 minutes at 325 degrees. Let cool 15 to 20
minutes.

Combine topping ingredients. Cover top of cake with topping and return to
oven for 15 minutes at 325 degrees.

Drambuie-Pecan Topping

2 cups sour cream
2 tablepoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoon Drambuie
1/2 cup large pecan pieces, sauteed in butter then drained

Mix together the sour cream, sugar, and Drambuie. Spread on top of
slightly cooled cheesecake, then sprinkle evenly with pecans. Return to
350 degree oven and bake 10 minutes.

Note: you can add 2 tablespoons of Drambuie to the cheesecake batter as
well.

Vaiation: Try the above recipe with amaretto and sliced almonds.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Tue 24 Jan 2006 01:29:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>

>>> Speaking for myself, not really. I make several different cheesecakes
>>> that have a sour cream topping and that procedure is pretty well
>>> standard. It's
>>> just in there long enough to "set" the topping.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

>> Are all the toppings the same?? Or are there different types, or
>> flavours?? I'm just thinking I might try different types of toppings as
>> well.

> Most are just sour cream, sugar, and a flavoring extract that can be
> varied, but there are a couple...

Thankyou Wayne. As I've said once before, you're wonderful!

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 24 Jan 2006 02:33:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Tue 24 Jan 2006 01:29:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

>>> Are all the toppings the same?? Or are there different types, or
>>> flavours?? I'm just thinking I might try different types of toppings as
>>> well.

>> Most are just sour cream, sugar, and a flavoring extract that can be
>> varied, but there are a couple...

> Thankyou Wayne. As I've said once before, you're wonderful!
>
> Jen

Thank you, Jen. <blush>

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

cheesecake recipes! laurabing88 Baking 1 10-03-2010 12:14 AM
feedback requested for a couple of savory cheesecake recipes Sky General Cooking 8 11-01-2009 06:53 AM
PS/Have any easy (yet excellent) cheesecake recipes to share? Cheesecake Lady Baking 1 31-12-2005 07:02 PM
Best Loved Recipes: Orange Upside-Down Cheesecake Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-05-2004 07:22 PM
Best Loved Recipes: Walnut Praline Cheesecake Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-05-2004 07:08 PM