Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default feedback requested for a couple of savory cheesecake recipes

I offered to post here for a friend about a couple of recipes for savory
cheesecakes. If anyone wants to flame - be sure to put the dial on high
<G>. I can deal with the high temp flames, although I might gripe - so
beware and be forewarned ;D

These two recipes for savory cheesecakes sound very intriguing, although
for the first recipe, I'd be inclined to substitute pretzels for the
'cheese crackers' to use for the crust. The type of "cheese crackers"
was/is not specified in Recipe #1. And, both my friend and I would
definitely omit the picante sauce in the first recipe, also.

So, who thinks what, and how do y'all think the two recipes should be
modified, if even changed?

Sky, who loves to read recipes!!!!

-----
Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

............. RECIPE #1 ...............

citation unknown for this first recipe:

Bleu Cheese Cheesecake

-----CRUST-----
2 tablespoons Butter or margarine
1 cup Cheese crackers -- crushed

-----FILLING-----
16 ounces Cream cheese -- softened
8 ounces Blue cheese
3 Eggs
1/4 cup Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Medium picante sauce
1 cup Sour cream
1/2 cup Chopped green onions
1/2 cup Chopped walnuts

-----GARNISH-----
Chopped parsley
Tomato roses
Chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 325 F deg. Butter 8-inch springform pan; sprinkle
cracker
crumbs on bottom and sides.

Blend cheeses, eggs, flour, salt, picante sauce and sour cream. Fold
in
onions. Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake one hour.
Cool
and chill overnight. Garnish with parsley and tomato roses, or with
additional chopped green onions, if desired.
serve at room temperature on crackers.

.......... end Recipe #1 ..................

.......... begin Recipe #2 ................

From: Pacific Northwest Wining & Dining
The People, Places, Food, and Drink of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and
British Columbia
by Braiden Rex-Johnson, Wiley 2007
ISBN-10: 0471746851
ISBN-13: 978-0-471-74685-0

Blue Cheesecake, Serves 12 to 16

Varietal: Syrah, Viognier, Sauvignon Blanc
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup medium-grind cornmeal
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled (optional)
1-1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence, crumbled
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 pound Oregon Blue Vein, Oregonzola, Gorgonzola, Roquefort,
or other high-quality blue cheese, cut into chunks, at room
temperature
3 large eggs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1 head garlic, cloves separated and roasted (see Cook's Hint, below)
1/2 cup whole hazelnuts, pine nuts, or almonds, toasted crostini
or crackers, for serving (optional)

Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Slowly stir in the
cornmeal, stirring in one direction to avoid lumps, then add the garlic,
basil, if using, herbes de Provence, and salt. Reduce the heat to a
simmer and cook until smooth and creamy, stirring occasionally and
adjusting the heat as necessary so the polenta doesn't overcook or
bubble up and splatter, 12 to 15 minutes.

While the polenta is cooking, place the cream cheese and blue cheese in
a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs one at a time and mix by hand (if you
are very strong!) or beat with an electric mixer until the eggs are
thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.

Arrange the oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325
degrees F. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan or spray with nonstick
cooking spray.

When the polenta is done, remove it from the heat and stir in the
Parmesan cheese. Let cool for 5 minutes. With a rubber spatula, press
the polenta into the bottom of the prepared springform pan and set
aside.

Pour the reserved cheese filling evenly over the polenta crust. Tap the
pan lightly on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Squeeze the garlic
cloves from their skins and arrange them around the perimeter of the pan
at equal distances. Sprinkle the hazelnuts evenly in the center of the
cheesecake.

Place the cheesecake on a baking sheet to catch any drips, transfer to
the oven, and bake for 1 hour, or until the cake springs back when
lightly jiggled and the internal temperature on an instant-read
thermometer reaches 160 degrees F. Cool on a wire rack for at least 1
hour.

To serve, release and remove the sides of the springform pan. Serve the
cheesecake warm or at room temperature, cut into slices as an appetizer
or spread onto crostini or crackers for a more rustic look. The
cheesecake can be covered and kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week
(its flavors meld and deepen the longer it sits). If serving from the
refrigerator, slice and warm it in a 350 degrees F oven or microwave
briefly before serving.

Cook's Hint: To roast individual cloves of garlic, preheat the oven to
375 degrees F. Remove as much skin as possible from each clove, place in
a small baking dish without crowding (a pie plate also works well for
this), cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake until the garlic is
very tender and easily squeezed from the skin, 35 minutes.

................... end Recipe #2 .......................
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jan 2009 14:01:35 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>Savory cheesecakes are great to take to parties.

What on earth do you eat them with?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2009 14:01:35 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> > wrote:
>
>> Savory cheesecakes are great to take to parties.

> What on earth do you eat them with?

crackers? "cocktail" bread?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2009 14:01:35 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> > wrote:
>
> >Savory cheesecakes are great to take to parties.

> What on earth do you eat them with?

A fork.

:-)

My wife brought back a plate of food from a fancy party she went to.
About 1/3 was savory and 2/3 sweet. There was a small piece of savory
cheesecake, along with another couple of savory items.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:47:07 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On 10 Jan 2009 14:01:35 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Savory cheesecakes are great to take to parties.

>> What on earth do you eat them with?

>A fork.
>
>:-)
>
>My wife brought back a plate of food from a fancy party she went to.
>About 1/3 was savory and 2/3 sweet. There was a small piece of savory
>cheesecake, along with another couple of savory items.

According to other replies, a knife would be more appropriate. Just
thinking about eating them with a fork gags me. That's why I asked.
I thought maybe they were a side dish, but I guess they're an
appetizer.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:47:07 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On 10 Jan 2009 14:01:35 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""

>>> What on earth do you eat them with?

>> A fork.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> My wife brought back a plate of food from a fancy party she went to.
>> About 1/3 was savory and 2/3 sweet. There was a small piece of savory
>> cheesecake, along with another couple of savory items.

> According to other replies, a knife would be more appropriate. Just
> thinking about eating them with a fork gags me. That's why I asked.
> I thought maybe they were a side dish, but I guess they're an
> appetizer.

I'm not sure I've ever eaten one, but I would have said spread on a
cracker like a cheese log or cheese ball.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> These two recipes for savory cheesecakes sound very intriguing, although
> for the first recipe, I'd be inclined to substitute pretzels for the
> 'cheese crackers' to use for the crust. The type of "cheese crackers"
> was/is not specified in Recipe #1.

Cheezits, I imagine. Would probably make a very good crust...