Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tumbleweed

Default Advice: Substitute ground almonds?

I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and 6oz
of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be essentially
the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a nut based
product?)
TIA
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Tumbleweed wrote:

> I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and 6oz
> of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be essentially
> the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a nut based
> product?)
> TIA

You might try low-fat peanut butter.

(without seeing the recipe, it's difficult to give a meaningful answer)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Tumbleweed wrote:
>
>> I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and
>> 6oz of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be
>> essentially the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a
>> nut based product?)
>> TIA

> You might try low-fat peanut butter.
>
> (without seeing the recipe, it's difficult to give a meaningful answer)

I think they are looking to avoid nuts. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tumbleweed

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Tumbleweed wrote:
>
>> I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and
>> 6oz of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be
>> essentially the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a
>> nut based product?)
>> TIA

> You might try low-fat peanut butter.
>
> (without seeing the recipe, it's difficult to give a meaningful answer)
>
> Bob

I think you are right re the recipe as peanut butter certainly wouldnt do
it!
Need something with a subtle taste, or none at all. Its just that I've been
told that almonds in recipes does something (not sure what), its not just
for the flavour.

[and anyway peanuts=nuts as far as I am concerned, though I know that
botanically they arent]

Raspberry Spiral Tea Snaps

2 /12 oz (70g) toasted almonds
½ tsp baking soda
6oz (70g) plain flour
¼ tsp salt
4oz (110g) butter
4oz (110g) castor sugar
1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk
½ tsp vanilla essence
5oz (140g) seedless raspberry preserve

In a blender finely grind the first 4 ingredients
With mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light
Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the flour mixture

Between two sheets of waxed paper roll ½ the dough into a 7 x 10" rectangle.
Repeat for the other 1/2 of the dough.

Chill flat for one hour.

Remove the top piece of waxed paper from each rectangle and spread the
preserve evenly over each

Remove remaining paper and roll into a cylinder swiss roll fashion

Freeze for 1 hour

Preheat oven to 180deg. Slice dough cylinders into ¼ inch rounds. Bake for
10 min/until lightly browned

Makes 5 dozen snaps

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

how about sesame seeds? they would of course add a different flavor but
it might be good with raspberry jam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cryambers

Tumbleweed wrote:
> I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and 6oz
> of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be essentially
> the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a nut based
> product?)
> TIA
> --

I would increase the flour to compensate for not using the ground
almonds. If you want to approximate the almond flavor, the only thing
I can think of to replace the flavor would be a very small amount of
imitation almond extract. That should not have any nut products in it,
but you'd want to check. I don't necessarily think that even real
almond extract tastes like almonds (and some people really dislike it),
but it might give something close to the flavor. You might also try
orange or lemon extract.

Pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Tumbleweed wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Tumbleweed wrote:
>>

>>>I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and
>>>6oz of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be
>>>essentially the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a
>>>nut based product?)
>>>TIA

>>You might try low-fat peanut butter.
>>
>>(without seeing the recipe, it's difficult to give a meaningful answer)
>>
>>Bob

> I think you are right re the recipe as peanut butter certainly wouldnt do
> it!
> Need something with a subtle taste, or none at all. Its just that I've been
> told that almonds in recipes does something (not sure what), its not just
> for the flavour.
>
> [and anyway peanuts=nuts as far as I am concerned, though I know that
> botanically they arent]
>
> Raspberry Spiral Tea Snaps
>
> 2 /12 oz (70g) toasted almonds
> ½ tsp baking soda
> 6oz (70g) plain flour
> ¼ tsp salt
> 4oz (110g) butter
> 4oz (110g) castor sugar
> 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk
> ½ tsp vanilla essence
> 5oz (140g) seedless raspberry preserve
>
> In a blender finely grind the first 4 ingredients
> With mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light
> Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the flour mixture
>
> Between two sheets of waxed paper roll ½ the dough into a 7 x 10" rectangle.
> Repeat for the other 1/2 of the dough.
>
> Chill flat for one hour.
>
> Remove the top piece of waxed paper from each rectangle and spread the
> preserve evenly over each
>
> Remove remaining paper and roll into a cylinder swiss roll fashion
>
> Freeze for 1 hour
>
> Preheat oven to 180deg. Slice dough cylinders into ¼ inch rounds. Bake for
> 10 min/until lightly browned
>
> Makes 5 dozen snaps

Ground sunflower seeds. (grind them yourself and be careful not to grind
them to butter)

BTW, I was trying to start a little war about whether peanuts are nuts
or not ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:

> Ground sunflower seeds. (grind them yourself and be careful not to grind
> them to butter)

I forgot to mention. You'll probably wanna use raw sunflower kernals if
you can find them. They'll be easier to work with and less assertive
than roasted.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Tumbleweed wrote:
> I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and 6oz
> of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be essentially
> the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a nut based
> product?)
> TIA

I'd try crisp cookie crumbs, depending on the recipe, vanilla wafers,
gingersnaps, or some kind of shortbread, maybe.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

"Tumbleweed" > wrote in message

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> Tumbleweed wrote:
>>
>>> I have a recipe which calls for 2 1/2 oz of ground toasted almonds and
>>> 6oz of plain flour. If I substitute the almonds for flour will it be
>>> essentially the same or is there something else I can use (which isnt a
>>> nut based product?)
>>> TIA

>> You might try low-fat peanut butter.
>>
>> (without seeing the recipe, it's difficult to give a meaningful answer)
>>
>> Bob

That sounds delicious, I'm keeping the recipe to make one day. Thanks. Why
don't you want to use the nuts?

Jen
> I think you are right re the recipe as peanut butter certainly wouldnt do
> it!
> Need something with a subtle taste, or none at all. Its just that I've
> been told that almonds in recipes does something (not sure what), its not
> just for the flavour.
>
> [and anyway peanuts=nuts as far as I am concerned, though I know that
> botanically they arent]
>
> Raspberry Spiral Tea Snaps
>
> 2 /12 oz (70g) toasted almonds
> ½ tsp baking soda
> 6oz (70g) plain flour
> ¼ tsp salt
> 4oz (110g) butter
> 4oz (110g) castor sugar
> 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk
> ½ tsp vanilla essence
> 5oz (140g) seedless raspberry preserve
>
> In a blender finely grind the first 4 ingredients
> With mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light
> Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the flour mixture
>
> Between two sheets of waxed paper roll ½ the dough into a 7 x 10"
> rectangle. Repeat for the other 1/2 of the dough.
>
> Chill flat for one hour.
>
> Remove the top piece of waxed paper from each rectangle and spread the
> preserve evenly over each
>
> Remove remaining paper and roll into a cylinder swiss roll fashion
>
> Freeze for 1 hour
>
> Preheat oven to 180deg. Slice dough cylinders into ¼ inch rounds. Bake for
> 10 min/until lightly browned
>
> Makes 5 dozen snaps
>
> --
> Tumbleweed
>
> email replies not necessary but to contact use;
> tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tumbleweed

"Jen" > wrote in message

> That sounds delicious, I'm keeping the recipe to make one day. Thanks.
> Why don't you want to use the nuts?

Dont like the taste, esp almonds.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Fresh ground Nutmeg/Cinnamon vs. the pre-ground spice jar type [email protected] General Cooking 20 24-04-2008 04:32 AM
Ground Almonds Jeff K General Cooking 1 14-12-2005 08:47 PM
Superauto advice (UK based but any advice on machines appreciated) Copterman Coffee 5 24-12-2004 07:47 PM
ground ostrich, ground buffalo Julia Altshuler General Cooking 17 30-03-2004 02:41 PM
Brand advice: substitute for Twinings Prince of Wales/China Black Bill Heck Tea 8 26-01-2004 03:38 PM