Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh ground Nutmeg/Cinnamon vs. the pre-ground spice jar type

Can anyone attest to whether freshly ground whole nutmeg and cinnamon
have better flavor in recipes vs. the pre-ground spice jar type?
I know that the preground stuff can last for years. Does anyone know
the shelf life of whole nutmegs and cinnamon sticks?
Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 7:30�pm, wrote:
> Can anyone attest to whether freshly ground whole nutmeg and cinnamon
> have better flavor in recipes vs. the pre-ground spice jar type?
> I know that the preground stuff can last for years. Does anyone know
> the shelf life of whole nutmegs and cinnamon sticks?
> Thanks

All whole spices are a thousand times better than pregroud, perhaps a
million times better... mostly because you have no idea what/who is
in preground.... plenty rodent turds and roaches are ground along with
the spices in preground, gauranteed.

And all whole spices maintain their potency for many, many years...
but once ground they lose their potency very quickly.

All preground stupidmarket spices are pretty much worthless, not only
don't you know waht/who is in it,, it's not dated, could have been
ground years ago... and isn't stored very well either so it hasn't a
chance... you're better off wiping your arse with those dollars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene > wrote:

>With nutmeg, there's no comparison.

Agree. I use a microplane, it works wonderfully.

> I don't usually home-grind cinnamon.

Nor do I, but I will buy whole cinnamon sticks (these are
actually cassia), and place them in a sauce, curry, etc.
to steep, much as one would throw in a bay leaf, and remove
it later.

>> I know that the preground stuff can last for years. Does anyone know
>> the shelf life of whole nutmegs and cinnamon sticks?

I would say several months. I've used nutmegs older than that
and they are still better than pre-ground nutmeg.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 4:30*pm, wrote:
> Can anyone attest to whether freshly ground whole nutmeg and cinnamon
> have better flavor in recipes vs. the pre-ground spice jar type?
> I know that the preground stuff can last for years. Does anyone know
> the shelf life of whole nutmegs and cinnamon sticks?
> Thanks

Once at a place I was working, we were out of cinnamon, but we had
plenty of sticks. I decided to put them in the Robocoup and grind them
up- bad idea. They started smoking and started to melt the inside of
the bowl!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:04:50 -0700 (PDT):

m> On Apr 16, 4:30 pm, wrote:
??>> Can anyone attest to whether freshly ground whole nutmeg
??>> and cinnamon have better flavor in recipes vs. the
??>> pre-ground spice jar type? I know that the preground stuff
??>> can last for years. Does anyone know the shelf life of
??>> whole nutmegs and cinnamon sticks? Thanks

m> Once at a place I was working, we were out of cinnamon, but
m> we had plenty of sticks. I decided to put them in the
m> Robocoup and grind them up- bad idea. They started smoking
m> and started to melt the inside of the bowl!

There has been a nutmeg grater available for a long time (a
nutmeg or two is kept in it) and it is not a problem to grate
enough in a few seconds. A spice (coffee) grinder will powder
pieces of cinnamon stick.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone attest to whether freshly ground whole nutmeg and cinnamon
> > have better flavor in recipes vs. the pre-ground spice jar type?
> > I know that the preground stuff can last for years. Does anyone know
> > the shelf life of whole nutmegs and cinnamon sticks?
> > Thanks

> Once at a place I was working, we were out of cinnamon, but we had
> plenty of sticks. I decided to put them in the Robocoup and grind them
> up- bad idea. They started smoking and started to melt the inside of
> the bowl!

The plastic used for food processor bowls is not meant to take the
high speed bashing of cinnamon sticks, you may as will process rocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:31:27 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
wrote:

>merryb wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone attest to whether freshly ground whole nutmeg and cinnamon
>> > have better flavor in recipes vs. the pre-ground spice jar type?
>> > I know that the preground stuff can last for years. Does anyone know
>> > the shelf life of whole nutmegs and cinnamon sticks?
>> > Thanks

>> Once at a place I was working, we were out of cinnamon, but we had
>> plenty of sticks. I decided to put them in the Robocoup and grind them
>> up- bad idea. They started smoking and started to melt the inside of
>> the bowl!

>The plastic used for food processor bowls is not meant to take the
>high speed bashing of cinnamon sticks, you may as will process rocks.

I found that out with cloves years ago and ruined the bowl in about 2
seconds. I use a coffee grinder with a metal bowl now. Works like a
charm.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:56:12 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:31:27 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
>wrote:
>
>>merryb wrote:

>>> Once at a place I was working, we were out of cinnamon, but we had
>>> plenty of sticks. I decided to put them in the Robocoup and grind them
>>> up- bad idea. They started smoking and started to melt the inside of
>>> the bowl!

>>The plastic used for food processor bowls is not meant to take the
>>high speed bashing of cinnamon sticks, you may as will process rocks.

>I found that out with cloves years ago and ruined the bowl in about 2
>seconds. I use a coffee grinder with a metal bowl now. Works like a
>charm.
>
>Lou

a coffee mill is the very balls for this sort of thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 9:59*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:56:12 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:31:27 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
> >wrote:

> >>The plastic used for food processor bowls is not meant to take the
> >>high speed bashing of cinnamon sticks, you may as will process rocks.

> >I found that out with cloves years ago and ruined the bowl in about 2
> >seconds. *I use a coffee grinder with a metal bowl now. *Works like a
> >charm.

> >Lou

> a coffee mill is the very balls for this sort of thing.
>
> your pal,
> blake- Hide quoted text -

All we had was the processor, so I really had no choice! But, I sure
learned my lesson on that!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:59:12 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:56:12 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>>I found that out with cloves years ago and ruined the bowl in about 2
>>seconds. I use a coffee grinder with a metal bowl now. Works like a
>>charm.
>>
>>Lou

>a coffee mill is the very balls for this sort of thing.
>
>your pal,
>blake

Stores like Home Depot and Menards have them for under 10 bucks. I
think I paid 9 for mine. I wish the replacement bowl for my food
processor was that cheap.....

Learning Lessons Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:00:31 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Apr 18, 9:59*am, blake murphy > wrote:

>> a coffee mill is the very balls for this sort of thing.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake- Hide quoted text -

>All we had was the processor, so I really had no choice! But, I sure
>learned my lesson on that!!

That was my situation too... But not no more. <g>

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 6:22*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:59:12 GMT, blake murphy >
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:56:12 GMT, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >>I found that out with cloves years ago and ruined the bowl in about 2
> >>seconds. *I use a coffee grinder with a metal bowl now. *Works like a
> >>charm.

> >>Lou

> >a coffee mill is the very balls for this sort of thing.

> >your pal,
> >blake

> Stores like Home Depot and Menards have them for under 10 bucks. *I
> think I paid 9 for mine. *I wish the replacement bowl for my food
> processor was that cheap.....
>
> Learning Lessons Lou * *

Exactly- I'll bet Robocoup bowls are outrageously priced! I beleive
it's still being used, tho. Fortunately, I stopped it in time. It sure
stank up the room! Sorry, I don't think stank is a real word, but
stinkked doesn't seem right either!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Apr 2008 10:00:59a, merryb told us...

wrote:

>> >a coffee mill is the very balls for this sort of thing.

>> >your pal,
>> >blake

>> Stores like Home Depot and Menards have them for under 10 bucks. *I
>> think I paid 9 for mine. *I wish the replacement bowl for my food
>> processor was that cheap.....
>>
>> Learning Lessons Lou * *

> Exactly- I'll bet Robocoup bowls are outrageously priced! I beleive
> it's still being used, tho. Fortunately, I stopped it in time. It sure
> stank up the room! Sorry, I don't think stank is a real word, but
> stinkked doesn't seem right either!!

"Stunk up"

Yes, I'm sure the Robocoup bowls are costly. when I replaced my 14-cup
cuisinart workbowl and cover, it set me back nearly a hundred bucks.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 10:20*am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> On Sun 20 Apr 2008 10:00:59a, merryb told us...
>

> > On Apr 18, 6:22*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> Stores like Home Depot and Menards have them for under 10 bucks. *I
> >> think I paid 9 for mine. *I wish the replacement bowl for my food
> >> processor was that cheap.....

> >> Learning Lessons Lou * *

> > Exactly- I'll bet Robocoup bowls are outrageously priced! I beleive
> > it's still being used, tho. Fortunately, I stopped it in time. It sure
> > stank up the room! Sorry, I don't think stank is a real word, but
> > stinkked doesn't seem right either!!

> "Stunk up"
>
> Yes, I'm sure the Robocoup bowls are costly. *when I replaced my 14-cup
> cuisinart workbowl and cover, it set me back nearly a hundred bucks.
>
> --
> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
> * * *Sunday, 04(IV)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
> * * * * Countdown till Memorial Day * * * *
> * * * * * * 5wks 13hrs 45mins * * * * * *
> * * * That must be wonderful! I don't * * *
> * * * * * *understand it at all. * * * * *

Better than "stuck up"!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 01:32:44p, merryb told us...

> On Apr 20, 10:20*am, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

2

>> > Exactly- I'll bet Robocoup bowls are outrageously priced! I beleive
>> > it's still being used, tho. Fortunately, I stopped it in time. It sure
>> > stank up the room! Sorry, I don't think stank is a real word, but
>> > stinkked doesn't seem right either!!

>> "Stunk up"
>>
>> Yes, I'm sure the Robocoup bowls are costly. *when I replaced my 14-cup
>> cuisinart workbowl and cover, it set me back nearly a hundred bucks.
>>
>> --
>> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
>> * * *Sunday, 04(IV)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
>> * * * * Countdown till Memorial Day * * * *
>> * * * * * * 5wks 13hrs 45mins * * * * * *
>> * * * That must be wonderful! I don't * * *
>> * * * * * *understand it at all. * * * * *

> Better than "stuck up"!

Much better!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 20 Apr 2008 10:00:59a, merryb told us...

>> Exactly- I'll bet Robocoup bowls are outrageously priced! I beleive
>> it's still being used, tho. Fortunately, I stopped it in time. It sure
>> stank up the room! Sorry, I don't think stank is a real word, but
>> stinkked doesn't seem right either!!
>>

> "Stunk up"

No, "stank up" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stink

(Stink, stank, stunk.) And now I have a Mr. Grinch earworm.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 23 Apr 2008 09:29:30a, Serene told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 20 Apr 2008 10:00:59a, merryb told us...

>>> Exactly- I'll bet Robocoup bowls are outrageously priced! I beleive
>>> it's still being used, tho. Fortunately, I stopped it in time. It sure
>>> stank up the room! Sorry, I don't think stank is a real word, but
>>> stinkked doesn't seem right either!!
>>>

>> "Stunk up"

> No, "stank up" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stink
>
> (Stink, stank, stunk.) And now I have a Mr. Grinch earworm.
>
> Serene

Thank you Serene Merriam! :-) I guess I learned that in school, but for
some reason "stank" just didn't sound like a word.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 04(IV)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)