Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael

Default Food coloring

Is food coloring safer now than in the past?.....or is it still
little drops of cancer?

I'd like some red for tandoori chicken but only for effect....I'll pass
otherwise.

Are the powders better (and safer) than the drops?

Never used a powder and won't unless Kroger has them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Michael" > wrote in message
> Is food coloring safer now than in the past?.....or is it still
> little drops of cancer?
>
> I'd like some red for tandoori chicken but only for effect....I'll pass
> otherwise.

Who cares? There are plenty of recipes for tandoori chicken that don't
involve food coloring. Why the need for added color?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael

I don't know......who cares about the little piece of parsley on my plate?

Is it an Indian "made for America" thing, I wonder?

Anyway....about the safety issue.

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> "Michael" > wrote in message
>> Is food coloring safer now than in the past?.....or is it still
>> little drops of cancer?
>>
>> I'd like some red for tandoori chicken but only for effect....I'll pass
>> otherwise.

> Who cares? There are plenty of recipes for tandoori chicken that don't
> involve food coloring. Why the need for added color?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

Last time it was researched in my household (by my wife, who was concerned
about food coloring in our son's food), some of the colorings were
considered bad. That was 7-8 years ago. I wonder if you could find more info
at www.fda.gov.

"Michael" > wrote in message
. ..
>I don't know......who cares about the little piece of parsley on my plate?
>
> Is it an Indian "made for America" thing, I wonder?
>
> Anyway....about the safety issue.
>

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael" > wrote in message
>>> Is food coloring safer now than in the past?.....or is it still
>>> little drops of cancer?
>>>
>>> I'd like some red for tandoori chicken but only for effect....I'll pass
>>> otherwise.

>> Who cares? There are plenty of recipes for tandoori chicken that don't
>> involve food coloring. Why the need for added color?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Michael wrote:
> Is food coloring safer now than in the past?.....or is it still
> little drops of cancer?
>
> I'd like some red for tandoori chicken but only for effect....I'll pass
> otherwise.
>
> Are the powders better (and safer) than the drops?
>
> Never used a powder and won't unless Kroger has them.

why Kroger?

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

Michael wrote:

> Is food coloring safer now than in the past?.....or is it still
> little drops of cancer?
>
> I'd like some red for tandoori chicken but only for effect....I'll pass
> otherwise.
>
> Are the powders better (and safer) than the drops?
>
> Never used a powder and won't unless Kroger has them.

Article from the FDA site:

FROM SHAMPOO TO CEREAL
SEEING TO THE SAFETY OF COLOR ADDITIVES

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-221.html

See in particular the section entitled THE RED SCARE

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Last time it was researched in my household (by my wife, who was concerned
> about food coloring in our son's food), some of the colorings were
> considered bad. That was 7-8 years ago. I wonder if you could find more info
> at www.fda.gov.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-221.html
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/foodic.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Michael wrote:

> Is food coloring safer now than in the past?.....or is it still
> little drops of cancer?
>
> I'd like some red for tandoori chicken but only for effect....I'll pass
> otherwise.
>
> Are the powders better (and safer) than the drops?
>
> Never used a powder and won't unless Kroger has them.

I don't know about the "little drops of cancer" (boo, hiss). I've been
using food coloring for 40 years. I use it in all kinds of things.

I've heard about the powders, but have never used them. In cake
decorating, I use paste colors. They give more color than the liquid, but
may be harder to add to a dish. If you use red paste, make sure you are
getting the non-bitter, which may be standard now.

Elaine, too

What are fun foods to put food coloring into? wingmark General Cooking 0 06-08-2011 08:04 AM
Food coloring? gloria.p General Cooking 33 05-04-2011 11:11 PM
Food coloring? ? ? Ray General Cooking 6 15-12-2006 08:25 PM
On Green Food Coloring The Joneses Preserving 22 27-11-2006 08:56 AM
Food Coloring? mdginzo Winemaking 13 17-12-2005 01:58 AM