Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food coloring?

Imagine how we would eat without artificial food coloring:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg

or

http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2011 6:26 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:33:42 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6

> duh??
> WTF?
>
> LogIn please?
>

> At least give us a short quote from the article. Blind leads that cost
> money are useless.

Sorry. I have been subscribing (free) to NYT for a couple of years and
didn't realize it would be a paid log-in.

The article didn't make any statement about the health or behavior risks
associated with artificial color, just the perception that if you change
the color people are used to, they will be convinced there is a flavor
change, too.

It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
would be tan.

It said that people were given uncolored Cheetos that were identical to
the commercial orange ones in flavor but looked like styrofoam. Testers
said almost unanimously they were tasteless or bland.

Sorry again about the lack of information. I didn't realize.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:26:34 -0500, heyjoe >
wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:33:42 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6

> duh??
> WTF?
>
> LogIn please?
>

> At least give us a short quote from the article. Blind leads that cost
> money are useless.

I think I must have registered a couple of years ago, because I didn't
have to log in. According to their TV ads, a guest gets 20
views/articles per month free. If you subscribe, it's unlimited.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:45:00 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Sorry again about the lack of information. I didn't realize.

People don't have to subscribe, they just need to register.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2011 7:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:45:00 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>
>> It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
>> unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
>> a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
>> would be tan.

> I've made pickles and they were green without adding any added
> colorants. Just checked three jars of pickles and none of them list
> artificial (or natural) color.
>
> So I have no idea what they're referring to.
>
> -sw

Commercially prepared pickles.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 4/3/2011 6:26 PM, heyjoe wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:33:42 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6

>> duh??
>> WTF?
>>
>> LogIn please?
>>

>> At least give us a short quote from the article. Blind leads that cost
>> money are useless.
>>

> Sorry. I have been subscribing (free) to NYT for a couple of years and
> didn't realize it would be a paid log-in.
>
> The article didn't make any statement about the health or behavior risks
> associated with artificial color, just the perception that if you change
> the color people are used to, they will be convinced there is a flavor
> change, too.
>
> It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
> unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
> a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
> would be tan.
>
> It said that people were given uncolored Cheetos that were identical to
> the commercial orange ones in flavor but looked like styrofoam. Testers
> said almost unanimously they were tasteless or bland.
>
> Sorry again about the lack of information. I didn't realize.

My food wouldn't look much different. Yes, I know they add annatto to
cheese to make it yellow. I'm fine with white cheese. I don't need it to
be yellow.

Daughter eats some kind of extruded puffed corn snacks that are organic and
white. Some are even cheese flavored. Some do not even contain real cheese
but nutritional yeast. I served them at her birthday party and everyone
said they tasted just like Cheetos. I wouldn't know. I never like the
things.

When daughter was little I bought her some Popsicles that were called (I
believe) Shark. They looked just like the regular ones but had no color
added. They were kind of white/clear. I liked them because they didn't
stain. They were the only ones she was allowed after she made a huge mess
outside on our deck with a rainbow colored one. I put her out there after
she had the accident with the Trix yogurt and stained the carpet. What I
didn't realize at the time was that our deck had a solid floor to it plus my
garden hose didn't reach up there so I could not (as I thought I could do)
just rinse it and her off after she was done eating. I don't think they make
those any more.

Now she rarely eats Popsicles. She and my husband do eat the frozen pops
made with real fruit. I don't think they have any added color.

I don't think there is much that I eat that contains coloring. Yes, today I
did buy some Hershey's Easter egg candies that are sort of like M & M's but
bigger. I don't need them and can certainly live without them.

Mostly I eat whole raw vegetables, some cooked vegetables, rice, pasta,
white or potato bread, cheese and a little plain meat. Sometimes I eat
pasta that is colored with vegetables. I do eat pickles on occasion. If
there is any added color to them, it isn't disclosed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:45:00 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>
>> It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
>> unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
>> a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
>> would be tan.

> I've made pickles and they were green without adding any added
> colorants. Just checked three jars of pickles and none of them list
> artificial (or natural) color.
>
> So I have no idea what they're referring to.

I was wondering that myself. Most of the canned pickles that you get are
not a bright green. I used to get half sours in NY and they were more
green. No color in there that I know of. And they don't look any different
than the pickles my grandma used to make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 4/3/2011 7:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:45:00 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>>
>>> It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
>>> unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
>>> a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
>>> would be tan.

>> I've made pickles and they were green without adding any added
>> colorants. Just checked three jars of pickles and none of them list
>> artificial (or natural) color.
>>
>> So I have no idea what they're referring to.
>>
>> -sw

> Commercially prepared pickles.

But why would they be gray? I have three different brands of pickles here.
Three different kinds. None have color added.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:

> On 4/3/2011 7:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:45:00 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
> >
> >> It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
> >> unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
> >> a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
> >> would be tan.

> > I've made pickles and they were green without adding any added
> > colorants. Just checked three jars of pickles and none of them list
> > artificial (or natural) color.
> >
> > So I have no idea what they're referring to.

> Commercially prepared pickles.

Most pickles in jars with ingredients lists are
commercially prepared.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:45:00 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry again about the lack of information. I didn't realize.

> People don't have to subscribe, they just need to register.

I've never figured it out. This time I got right in with nothing.
Sometimes it wants a login, in which case I just skip it. I understand
that there is a charge for more than 20 somethings per month also.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:32:16 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Commercially prepared pickles.

>> But why would they be gray? I have three different brands of pickles
>> here.
>> Three different kinds. None have color added.

> Turmeric makes the insides yellow, I guess is what they're referring
> to. But as you mentioned, my half sours (no vinegar) are cream
> colored and do not contain any colarants.
>
> Maybe it's the vinegar pickles that have the turmeric to make their
> insides yellow (otherwise sickly grey?). IIRC, Vlassic and similar
> ilk are yellow inside.

Yeah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message

> >> duh??
> >> WTF?
> >>
> >> LogIn please?
> >>

> >> At least give us a short quote from the article. Blind leads that cost
> >> money are useless.
> >>

> > Sorry. I have been subscribing (free) to NYT for a couple of years and
> > didn't realize it would be a paid log-in.
> >
> > The article didn't make any statement about the health or behavior risks
> > associated with artificial color, just the perception that if you change
> > the color people are used to, they will be convinced there is a flavor
> > change, too.
> >
> > It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
> > unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
> > a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
> > would be tan.
> >
> > It said that people were given uncolored Cheetos that were identical to
> > the commercial orange ones in flavor but looked like styrofoam. Testers
> > said almost unanimously they were tasteless or bland.
> >
> > Sorry again about the lack of information. I didn't realize.

> My food wouldn't look much different. Yes, I know they add annatto to
> cheese to make it yellow. I'm fine with white cheese. I don't need it to
> be yellow.

Grass-fed cows produce milk that makes butter and cheese that is
naturally yellow.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> Imagine how we would eat without artificial food coloring:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6
>
> gloria p

I suppose it depends on how much junk food you eat. I've never eaten a
"gummy worm". I cringe just looking at them. My father liked to fish and
they remind me too much of the faux worms he had in his tackle box. LOL
Cheetoes are an occasional indulgence but I think it would be a nice change
if my fingers didn't turn orange

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:

> Imagine how we would eat without artificial food coloring:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6
>
> gloria p

I haven't read the article, but based on the comments of others who
fought through the NYT junk, it sounds like a "quality" piece with a
clueless writer and someone going nuts with Photoshop.

Pickles as others have noted are *not* naturally gray, nor do they have
any artificial colors added to them commercially. The "bread and butter"
style pickles do contain turmeric which does impart a yellow color,
however that is a flavor ingredient and also entirely natural.

Cheese often contains annato to get a yellow color, but once again, that
is entirely natural. Some food items are colored with "carmine" red
which is also a natural coloring. Popsicles that are mostly water
certainly get some artificial coloring, but decent ones made from actual
fruit juice don't.

The food I cook in my kitchen certainly has appetizing colors without
adding any artificial coloring, indeed the only reason I have any food
coloring in my kitchen was from when I needed to color some stabilized
whipped cream for decorating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 4/3/2011 6:26 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:33:42 -0600, gloria.p wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg

> >> or
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6

> > duh??
> > WTF?
> >
> > LogIn please?
> >

> > At least give us a short quote from the article. Blind leads that cost
> > money are useless.
> >

> Sorry. I have been subscribing (free) to NYT for a couple of years and
> didn't realize it would be a paid log-in.

It wasn't, here (UK). Here's the article copy /pasted

"WASHINGTON ? Without the artificial coloring FD&C Yellow No. 6, Cheetos
Crunchy Cheese Flavored Snacks would look like the shriveled larvae of a
large insect. Not surprisingly, in taste tests, people derived little
pleasure from eating them.
William Duke

Related

Artificial Dye Safe to Eat, Panel Says (April 1, 2011)
F.D.A. Panel to Consider Warnings for Artificial Food Colorings (March
30, 2011)

William Duke

Their fingers did not turn orange. And their brains did not register much
cheese flavor, even though the Cheetos tasted just as they did with food
coloring.

?People ranked the taste as bland and said that they weren?t much fun to
eat,? said Brian Wansink, a professor at Cornell University and director
of the university?s Food and Brand Lab.

Naked Cheetos would not seem to have much commercial future. Nor might
some brands of pickles. The pickling process turns them an unappetizing
gray. Dye is responsible for their robust green. Gummi worms without
artificial coloring would look, like, well, muddily translucent worms.
Jell-O would emerge out of the refrigerator a watery tan.

No doubt the world would be a considerably duller place without artificial
food coloring. But might it also be a safer place? The Center for Science
in the Public Interest, an advocacy group, asked the government last week
to ban artificial coloring because the dyes that are used in some foods
might worsen hyperactivity in some children.

?These dyes have no purpose whatsoever other than to sell junk food,?
Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at
New York University.

A government advisory panel concluded that there was no proof that dyes
caused problems in most children, and that whatever problems they might
cause in some children did not warrant a ban or a warning label beyond
what is already required ? a disclosure on the product label that
artificial colors are present.

?Color is such a crucial part of the eating experience that banning dyes
would take much of the pleasure out of life,? said Kantha Shelke, a food
chemist and spokeswoman for the Institute of Food Technologists. ?Would we
really want to ban everything when only a small percentage of us are
sensitive?? Indeed, color often defines flavor in taste tests. When
tasteless yellow coloring is added to vanilla pudding, consumers say it
tastes like banana or lemon pudding. And when mango or lemon flavoring is
added to white pudding, most consumers say that it tastes like vanilla
pudding. Color creates a psychological expectation for a certain flavor
that is often impossible to dislodge, Dr. Shelke said.

?Color can actually override the other parts of the eating experience,?
she said in an interview.

Even so, some food companies have expanded their processed-product
offerings to include foods without artificial colorings. You can now buy
Kool-Aid Invisible, for instance, and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Organic
White Cheddar. Some grocery chains, including Whole Foods Market and
Trader Joe?s, refuse to sell foods with artificial coloring.

As yet, natural colorings have not proven to be a good alternative. They
are generally not as bright, cheap or stable as artificial colorings,
which can remain vibrant for years. Natural colorings often fade within
days.

Todd Miller, the executive pastry chef for Hello Cupcake in Washington,
said he was dedicated to simple, natural ingredients. His cakes are made
with flour and butter, and his red icing gets its color from strawberry
purée.

But the sprinkles that top many of his creations have colorings derived
from good old petroleum, the source of artificial colorings. And he has no
intention of changing that because the natural stuff just isn?t as
colorful.

?I could live without sprinkles, but why would I want to?? he asked.
?They?re cupcakes. They?re supposed to be fun.?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > ha scritto nel messaggio Their fingers did not
turn orange. And their brains did not register much
cheese flavor, even though the Cheetos tasted just as they did with food
coloring.

One of our brands of those is white and just as poipular and tasty as the
yeller ones,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:13:36 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:

> One of our brands of those is white and just as poipular and tasty as the
> yeller ones,

Not only do I like white cheese, I like white corn too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:50:46 +0100, Janet <
>> Must be a US thing; I didn't have to pay or subscribe or register etc.
>>

> I doubt it. You were probably already registered. I didn't need to>
> register to view that link either, because I was already registered
> and I remember when I had to do it.

The press release said it was for US readers, and foreign readers don't have
to pay to read. OTH, everyone needs to be registered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:50:46 +0100, Janet <
> >> Must be a US thing; I didn't have to pay or subscribe or register etc.
> >>

> > I doubt it. You were probably already registered. I didn't need to>
> > register to view that link either, because I was already registered
> > and I remember when I had to do it.

> The press release said it was for US readers, and foreign readers don't have
> to pay to read. OTH, everyone needs to be registered.

No. The New York Times used to require free registration to access part
of their online site. When they asked for a login, I just skipped it.
I have never registered. I read the article referenced, without any
registration.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 08:46:51 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>
> > "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > > On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:50:46 +0100, Janet <
> > >>

> > > I doubt it. You were probably already registered. I didn't need to>
> > > register to view that link either, because I was already registered
> > > and I remember when I had to do it.

> > The press release said it was for US readers, and foreign readers don't have
> > to pay to read. OTH, everyone needs to be registered.

> No. The New York Times used to require free registration to access part
> of their online site. When they asked for a login, I just skipped it.
> I have never registered. I read the article referenced, without any
> registration.

In that case, people need to know they can skip that step.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> On 4/3/2011 6:26 PM, heyjoe wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:33:42 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/we....html?src=recg
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/42qmjj6

>> duh??
>> WTF?
>>
>> LogIn please?
>>

>> At least give us a short quote from the article. Blind leads that cost
>> money are useless.
>>

> Sorry. I have been subscribing (free) to NYT for a couple of years and
> didn't realize it would be a paid log-in.
>
> The article didn't make any statement about the health or behavior risks
> associated with artificial color, just the perception that if you change
> the color people are used to, they will be convinced there is a flavor
> change, too.
>
> It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
> unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
> a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
> would be tan.
>
> It said that people were given uncolored Cheetos that were identical to
> the commercial orange ones in flavor but looked like styrofoam. Testers
> said almost unanimously they were tasteless or bland.
>
> Sorry again about the lack of information. I didn't realize.
>
> gloria p

I'd really prefer they NOT use artificial food coloring. How many
colors can be made naturally from food products? All of them?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:45:00 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
>
>> It says that w/o artificial food coloring most foods would be an
>> unappetizing pale brown or tan. They showed popsicles that were
>> a very pale gray. Pickles would be gray w/o added color. Flavored Jello
>> would be tan.

> I've made pickles and they were green without adding any added
> colorants. Just checked three jars of pickles and none of them list
> artificial (or natural) color.
>
> So I have no idea what they're referring to.
>
> -sw

Interestingly, when I have looked at pickles, many of the
offerings contain food coloring. They do look rather pale without
it, but I'd rather have them pale.

--
Jean B.

What are fun foods to put food coloring into? wingmark General Cooking 0 06-08-2011 08:04 AM
Food coloring? ? ? Ray General Cooking 6 15-12-2006 08:25 PM
On Green Food Coloring The Joneses Preserving 22 27-11-2006 08:56 AM
Food coloring Michael General Cooking 7 03-01-2006 01:36 AM
Food Coloring? mdginzo Winemaking 13 17-12-2005 01:58 AM