Posted to rec.food.cooking
kalanamak

Default OT 25 years ago today....

I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.

Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
Paul Newman".
blacksalt
Imagine there's no Velveeta
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

kalanamak wrote:
> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
>
> So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
> they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
> the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
> parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
> trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
> catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
> people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
>
> Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
> pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
> cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
> Paul Newman".
> blacksalt
> Imagine there's no Velveeta

KCRW world news had some neverending feature about him today. It's sad he got
shot and all, but I think I'm too young or too much of a...I don't know,
something bad, to care.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta

kalanamak wrote:

I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you

I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
feel like there was a loss,

Roberta (in VA)

> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
>
> So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
> they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
> the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
> parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
> trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
> catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
> people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
>
> Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
> pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
> cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
> Paul Newman".
> blacksalt
> Imagine there's no Velveeta

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:00:39 -0800, kalanamak >
wrote:

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
>and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I can't remember where I was when Lennon was killed. But I CAN
remember where I was when JFK was shot, and also when his brother was
shot too.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
CJ Jones

kalanamak wrote:
> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

that's sad. I was a high school senior, and writing for a local paper.
The article I wrote about his murder ended up getting picked up in a
bunch of papers, and even ended up on Yoko's desk. (The school got a
note thanking the author.)

As a kid, bob dylan and john lennon were the only lyric writers who
seemed to get me. while my pals were listening to disco and
rollerskating, I was reading woody guthrie's autobiography, and learning
about the influences of my heroes. considering how I was raised, they
served as a big escape for me. it's sad that there aren't artists who
can impress more to life these days.

the last line of the poem that ended the article:
is this the way it's all going to end, with spies in the white house and
john lennon dead?

pretty much rings true today.

CJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:00:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kalanamak?

> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I lived alone at the time, and was in my kitchen cleaning up after eating
when the broadcast was interrupted with the announcement. I was 35 that year
and the Beatles had been very important to me during my college years when
they first started. I was stunned. I cried. I called a friend.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow

Roberta wrote:

> kalanamak wrote:
>
> I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you
>
> I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
> cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
> understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
> them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
> close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
> years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
> feel like there was a loss,

Yaaaaaaaawn...

If I spent all my time crying over dead celebrities I wouldn't even
have time to get out of bed...but they're total strangers so it doesn't
affect me in the *least*.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 07:36:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
Morrow?

> Roberta wrote:
>
>> kalanamak wrote:
>>
>> I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you
>>
>> I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
>> cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
>> understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
>> them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
>> close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
>> years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
>> feel like there was a loss,

> Yaaaaaaaawn...
>
> If I spent all my time crying over dead celebrities I wouldn't even
> have time to get out of bed...but they're total strangers so it doesn't
> affect me in the *least*.

Of all the celebrities who have died during my lifetime, I have cried over
perhaps three. Strangers or not, some celebrities strike a chord with some
people.

With the Beatles, I had a momentary connection because I got to meet them
on their very first US tour. The daughter of one of the promnoters was a
close friend of mine.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"kalanamak" > wrote

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all college
>students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU WILL ALWAYS
>REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why and she
>shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I don't have a specific memory of learning about his death, I do
remember going into work the next morning, my boss was grousing,
that's just great, now we're going to hear all the time how great he
was and how great his music was and I never liked him. (laugh)
Okay, Bob.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ravinwulf

wrote:

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
>and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
>
>So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
>they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
>the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
>parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
>trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
>catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
>people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
>
>Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
>pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
>cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
>Paul Newman".
>blacksalt
>Imagine there's no Velveeta

I remember exactly where I was. I was sitting in my bed in the first
house I'd ever rented working on a term paper and listening to the
radio.

Tracy R.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I can't remember where I was when Lennon was killed. But I CAN
> remember where I was when JFK was shot, and also when his brother was
> shot too.
>
> Christine

I remember JFK/RFK's deaths vividly. Although I adored the Beatles,
Lennon's death wasn't as traumatic for me because after the group broke
up and he hooked up with Yoko he seemed really weird to me, not the same
person at all.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

kalanamak wrote:
> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Goomba38 wrote:
> kalanamak wrote:
>
>> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked
>> why and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
> when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
> Goomba

I was only a year old. SO I have absolutely no recollection. My dad says
he cried, though. Of course, he made a million jokes when Kurt Cobain
killed himself. (Not that Kurt was half the songwriter/musician that
Lennon was, but it still ****ed me off.)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 08:30:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

> Goomba38 wrote:
>> kalanamak wrote:
>>
>>> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>>> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>>> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked
>>> why and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

>> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
>> when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
>> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
>> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
>> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
>> Goomba

> I was only a year old. SO I have absolutely no recollection. My dad says
> he cried, though. Of course, he made a million jokes when Kurt Cobain
> killed himself. (Not that Kurt was half the songwriter/musician that
> Lennon was, but it still ****ed me off.)

I couldn't have cared less when Kurt Cobain killed himself. Regardless of
the cause or reason, he was in control of his own destiny. John Lennon was
*murdered*.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 08:30:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
> bennett?
>

>>Goomba38 wrote:

>>>Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
>>>when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
>>>John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
>>>parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
>>>had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
>>>Goomba

>>I was only a year old. SO I have absolutely no recollection. My dad says
>>he cried, though. Of course, he made a million jokes when Kurt Cobain
>>killed himself. (Not that Kurt was half the songwriter/musician that
>>Lennon was, but it still ****ed me off.)

> I couldn't have cared less when Kurt Cobain killed himself. Regardless of
> the cause or reason, he was in control of his own destiny. John Lennon was
> *murdered*.

Oh, I certainly see the difference. And I can understand the loss of a
person who is culturally relevant by violent means, out of their own
control; I just don't think it is in good taste to make jokes about
stuff like that. At least when the person involved has recently died.
Besides, the most vivid memories I have of the "where I was when ***
happened" are personal events, like when my granfather died, not
celebrity stuff.
My father likes to tell this story that he thinks is very funny about
how once when I was 15, he was playing some MC5 and I ran up from the
basement saying "Dad, what is this, it's awesome!" If my daughter shows
any interest in good music when she is 15, I'm not going to be making
fun of her. Lord knows that 15 year olds are not known for their refined
tastes. Of course, he leaves out the part where when a few months later,
after I was massively digging them, he refused to let me tag along to an
appearance by Wayne Kramer at some local record store. He also wouldn't
let me touch his records or his stereo, which accounts for my inability
to retain any money in my wallet when i browse used LP shops.

If Lennon had died when I was old enough to be aware of it, I would have
been much more upset about it then the Kurt thing. What I remember most
from that, actually, other than my dad's bad jokes, was the sudden
realization that what my friends and I had sort of co-opted as what we
thought as hip was not unique or special and that all media concerning
"youth culture" was bullshit. The whole : "do you remember where you
were" deal with 60's icons kind of bugs me, but probably because I have
ex-hippies for parents and much of my youth was steeped in music etc.
from that period and I was annoyed as a child once I realized it was
already the 80's and being idealistic doesn't ****ing work.
Much love for the Beatles though. Have 'Rubber Soul' on the turntable
atm, actually

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 10:22:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

Entirely understood...

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all college
>students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU WILL ALWAYS
>REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why and she
>shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I don't remember where I was, although I can tell you with certainty, it was
cold outside. (Minnesota, December...not hard to figure! lol)
I do, however, remember the exact moment I found out Elvis had died. I was
jumping rope with my sister on the sidewalk beside our house when the
neighbor boy from across the street came to tell us. We accused him of being
a jealous, mean, vicious liar. Turns out he wasn't lying.
I was devastated.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

WHAT???
What BF?
What have you neglected to tell us?

sf
<hoping I read this the wrong way>
`````````````````````````

wrote:

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
>and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

<snip>

>Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
>pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
>cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
>Paul Newman".

>blacksalt
>Imagine there's no Velveeta

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

kalanamak wrote:
> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
>
> So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
> they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
> the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
> parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
> trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
> catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
> people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.

I had just graduated from High School. I was home smoking pot and
couldn't believe it - it was all so convoluted and ****ed up. It still
makes me sad. I wonder what sort of world we would live in now had he
not died. He was a peace activist before anyone knew what that meant.

The world needs more Lennons.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Goomba38 wrote:

> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
> when I heard that Elvis had died..

You mean Elvis is REALLY dead?

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - still reeling from the shock

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

cathyxyz wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was

doing
>> when I heard that Elvis had died..

> You mean Elvis is REALLY dead?
>
> but barely any memory of caring about
>> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
>> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
>> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
>> Goomba

If it weren't for John Lennon, I'd never have picked up the guitar. Sadly
I had to skip the vocals.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Myers

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
> > when I heard that Elvis had died..

> You mean Elvis is REALLY dead?

(In my best Tommy Lee Jones):

No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Bob Myers wrote:
> "cathyxyz" > wrote in message
>
>>Goomba38 wrote:
>>

>>>Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
>>>when I heard that Elvis had died..

>>You mean Elvis is REALLY dead?

> (In my best Tommy Lee Jones):
>
> No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!
>
> Bob M.

But, but, but.... wasn't that ET?

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Bob Myers wrote:

> > > Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
> > > when I heard that Elvis had died..

> > You mean Elvis is REALLY dead?

> (In my best Tommy Lee Jones):
>
> No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!

Elvis has left the building.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Bob Myers wrote:

> > > (In my best Tommy Lee Jones):
> > >
> > > No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!
> > >
> > > Bob M.
> > >

> > But, but, but.... wasn't that ET?

> What, you never saw "Men In Black"?
>
> Bob M.

UM, er, I surely did... but I thought the kid with the big ears was
cuter than the old guy with the rug
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Myers

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> >>You mean Elvis is REALLY dead?

> > (In my best Tommy Lee Jones):
> >
> > No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!
> >
> > Bob M.
> >

> But, but, but.... wasn't that ET?

What, you never saw "Men In Black"?

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Myers

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > What, you never saw "Men In Black"?
> >
> > Bob M.

> UM, er, I surely did... but I thought the kid with the big ears was
> cuter than the old guy with the rug

Right, I liked Frank the Pug, too...

Or did you mean the tall skinny kid with the big ears? ;-)

Actually - as we drift more and more uncontrollably off-topic
- my favorite character from MiB was "Jack Jeebs," the
alien who ran the shady pawn shop ("...or I'll shoot you
where it doesn't grow back!"). I just like the fact that
Jeebs and Adrian Monk are the same person...:-)

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

-L. wrote:
> I had just graduated from High School. I was home smoking pot and
> couldn't believe it - it was all so convoluted and ****ed up. It still
> makes me sad. I wonder what sort of world we would live in now had he
> not died. He was a peace activist before anyone knew what that meant.

Oh, come on. He was a peace activist, and an influential one. But out
in the world apart from rock music the peace movement was already very
well established before he joined it. His great album "Imagine" came
out in 1971. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kalanamak

sf wrote:
> WHAT???
> What BF?
> What have you neglected to tell us?
>
> sf
> <hoping I read this the wrong way>
> `````````````````````````

I had a BF 25 years ago......why the WHAT???

I will quote Chaucer about a woman who had gone on the Crusades, a
rather randy event for many:
"She hadde passed many a straunge stream"
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

aem wrote:

> Oh, come on. He was a peace activist, and an influential one. But out
> in the world apart from rock music the peace movement was already very
> well established before he joined it. His great album "Imagine" came
> out in 1971. -aem

He and Yoko did their first "bed-in" in '69 (1969 is thought to be the
height of the peace movement for Vietnam) and were involved long before
that. Either way, he motivated a lot of young people to join the peace
movement, and not many other individuals did so (MLK, Jr. being another
example). While few people knew of groups like SANE or the "Mobes"
almost everyone knew of Lennon and that kind of influence/attention is
what is needed in such movements. I don't think we have a contemporary
equivalent, sadly.
-L.

25 years today Kent[_5_] General Cooking 0 10-04-2011 06:49 AM
25 years today Felice General Cooking 0 10-04-2011 04:05 AM
20 Years Ago Today... Gregory Morrow[_376_] General Cooking 3 10-11-2009 05:13 AM
28 years ago today Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 221 22-12-2008 04:29 PM
Where were you 40 years ago today? limey General Cooking 17 24-11-2003 03:26 AM