Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

Default Post Thanksgiving get-together...need more ideas please!

We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but we're
also having several friends and some family over the day after. I thought,
since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several
nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few
slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted
olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers. What
else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd set
out too. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but

we're
> also having several friends and some family over the day after. I thought,
> since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several
> nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few
> slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted
> olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers.

What
> else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd

set
> out too. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> kimberly

Deviled eggs? Pasta salad? Potato Salad? Green Salad? Crudites? Crab
Dip? Cheese & Crackers? Artichoke Dip? I dunno, these are just things
that come to mind. I would think a medly of appetizers would do the trick,
along with leftover turkey sandwiches or a deli tray with rolls.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:43:16 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but we're
>also having several friends and some family over the day after. I thought,
>since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several
>nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few
>slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted
>olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers. What
>else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd set
>out too. Any ideas?

Some kind of fruit dip for the apples and pears. I don't have a
recipe, but I'm sure someone else can provide one.

Chex Mix. We make ours with rice and corn Chex (no wheat - everyone
just picks those out), Cheerios, cashews, and pretzels.

Crab or clam dip is a must, and is to be served with kettle cooked
potato chips. This is a rule.

Stuffed dates. Cut lengthwise on one side to form a canoe shape,
stick in an almond or a half pecan, then roll in granulated sugar.
Delicious, super-easy and looks pretty classy.

Along those lines, dried apricots are very nice, too.

I'll keep thinking.
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article <n7dgf.13790$qw.429@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but we're
> also having several friends and some family over the day after. I thought,
> since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several
> nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few
> slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted
> olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers. What
> else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd set
> out too. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> kimberly

I always liked Kay Hartman's idea (maybe it was her neighbor's):
Everyone brings their leftovers to the party and they eat each other's
stuff.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:n7dgf.13790$qw.429@fed1read07...
> We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but we're
> also having several friends and some family over the day after. I thought,
> since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several nibbles
> and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few slices of
> leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted olives and
> cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers. What else to
> serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd set out too.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> kimberly

Buy a jar of the Mexican Mole.
Make the sauce.
Add the leftover Turkey

Put out the fixing's for a Mexican Tostada, Burrito, chimichanga (electric
frypan on the table) buffet.

A crock pot will hold the Mole, all the other stuff will hold nicely for many
hours - if necessary put all the condiments in double bowls - the outer filled
with ice, the inner with the condiments.

:-)

Serve lots of Mexican beer

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:43:16 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:
>
>>We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but
>>we're
>>also having several friends and some family over the day after. I thought,
>>since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several
>>nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few
>>slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted
>>olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers.
>>What
>>else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd
>>set
>>out too. Any ideas?

> Some kind of fruit dip for the apples and pears. I don't have a
> recipe, but I'm sure someone else can provide one.
>
> Chex Mix. We make ours with rice and corn Chex (no wheat - everyone
> just picks those out), Cheerios, cashews, and pretzels.
>
> Crab or clam dip is a must, and is to be served with kettle cooked
> potato chips. This is a rule.

This sounds yummy! Do you have a recipe for Crab dip? I've always wanted to
make it but somehow I never have!

> Stuffed dates. Cut lengthwise on one side to form a canoe shape,
> stick in an almond or a half pecan, then roll in granulated sugar.
> Delicious, super-easy and looks pretty classy.

I'm glad you suggested this as I know at least a few of my guests love dates
and I wouldn't have thought of it since I don't love dates!

> Along those lines, dried apricots are very nice, too.
>
> I'll keep thinking.
> Carol
> --
> Wash away the gray to respond.

Thanks!!!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article <n7dgf.13790$qw.429@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
> wrote:
>
>> We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but
>> we're
>> also having several friends and some family over the day after. I
>> thought,
>> since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several
>> nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few
>> slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted
>> olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers.
>> What
>> else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd
>> set
>> out too. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> kimberly

> I always liked Kay Hartman's idea (maybe it was her neighbor's):
> Everyone brings their leftovers to the party and they eat each other's
> stuff.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

That would work for some of the guests! The others will be here for
Thanksgiving, so it will still be my leftovers! lol

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but
>> we're also having several friends and some family over the day after. I
>> thought, since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do
>> several nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to
>> add a few slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip,
>> assorted olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of
>> crackers. What else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears
>> I thought I'd set out too. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> kimberly

> Buy a jar of the Mexican Mole.
> Make the sauce.
> Add the leftover Turkey
>
> Put out the fixing's for a Mexican Tostada, Burrito, chimichanga (electric
> frypan on the table) buffet.
>
> A crock pot will hold the Mole, all the other stuff will hold nicely for
> many hours - if necessary put all the condiments in double bowls - the
> outer filled with ice, the inner with the condiments.
>
> :-)
>
> Serve lots of Mexican beer
>
> Dimitri

Wow, that sounds yummy. I have mastered several styles of margheritas too,
which would go nicely I think
Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:11:21 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:43:16 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:
>>
>>>We're having the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the actual day, but
>>>we're
>>>also having several friends and some family over the day after. I thought,
>>>since everyone will be so stuffed the day before, that we'd do several
>>>nibbles and no really big meal. There'll be home made rolls to add a few
>>>slices of leftover turkey or roast to, some pate`, onion dip, assorted
>>>olives and cornishons, assorted cheeses and several styles of crackers.
>>>What
>>>else to serve? I have a bowl of apples, oranges and pears I thought I'd
>>>set
>>>out too. Any ideas?

>> Some kind of fruit dip for the apples and pears. I don't have a
>> recipe, but I'm sure someone else can provide one.
>>
>> Chex Mix. We make ours with rice and corn Chex (no wheat - everyone
>> just picks those out), Cheerios, cashews, and pretzels.
>>
>> Crab or clam dip is a must, and is to be served with kettle cooked
>> potato chips. This is a rule.

>This sounds yummy! Do you have a recipe for Crab dip? I've always wanted to
>make it but somehow I never have!

I have a curried crab dip recipe that I like:

8 - 12 oz well picked & cleaned crab meat, shredded
8 oz package cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk (depending on the final consistency you prefer)
2 TBSP curry powder (preferable something yummy from Penzey's- hot or
sweet, as your choice)

Let the cream cheese come to room temp. Cream in small bowl with sour
cream, milk & curry powder until all is mixed. Mix in crab.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving with veggies, crackers,
etc.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:11:21 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Crab or clam dip is a must, and is to be served with kettle cooked
>> potato chips. This is a rule.

>This sounds yummy! Do you have a recipe for Crab dip? I've always wanted to
>make it but somehow I never have!

I just sorta wing it. Softened cream cheese, sour cream, the seafood
of choice, along with some of its juices. Just enough to make it of
dipping consistency. And a dash of Worcestershire sauce provides a
nice background flavor to round out the otherwise bland dip. Sorry I
can't provide proportions.

>> Stuffed dates. Cut lengthwise on one side to form a canoe shape,
>> stick in an almond or a half pecan, then roll in granulated sugar.
>> Delicious, super-easy and looks pretty classy.

>I'm glad you suggested this as I know at least a few of my guests love dates
>and I wouldn't have thought of it since I don't love dates!

They look so elegant when stuffed and sugared. To me, they look like
June bugs without legs. Doesn't stop me from eating them, though.

Have a kick-ass party!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:UDrgf.13844$qw.590@fed1read07...

<snip>

>> A crock pot will hold the Mole, all the other stuff will hold nicely for many
>> hours - if necessary put all the condiments in double bowls - the outer
>> filled with ice, the inner with the condiments.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Serve lots of Mexican beer
>>
>> Dimitri

> Wow, that sounds yummy. I have mastered several styles of margheritas too,
> which would go nicely I think
> Thanks!
>
> Happy Thanksgiving
>
> kimberly

You're welcome have a great weekend.(long)

Dimitri