Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanksgiving Ideas

Hi All,
Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes. I'm
allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there :-)
This is my first Thanksgiving where I'll be the only one NOT eating
turkey. IN the past, it was my husband being the only one eating
turkey.

I'm looking for any interesting, tasty and hopefully easy side
dishes/desserts/appetizers/salads that any of you would like to share.
I'd love to hear a few, "wow, this is so delicious!!!" I"m not a great
cook, I've never been big on following recipes and when there are too
many ingredients, I tend to get turned off.

Yeah, I know, I do have some peculiarities. I have a great recipe for
overnight mashed potatoes if anyone is interested in it. I've made it
annually and love having that part of the dinner done the night before.
And it's delicious even with all of my substitutions of soymilk, soy
sour cream, non-hydrogenated fake butter, etc. Just say the word and
I'll post it.

I'd love to be able to make as many things before Thanksgiving day...my
kitchen isn't tiny nor is it huge. And with my son and his wife to be,
making a turkey, well, the less we have to all be in there at the same
time, the better.

Thanks in advance you wonderful foodies you :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Nov 2006 16:53:00 -0800, "tofuqueen" > wrote:

>Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes. I'm
>allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there :-)

.....oh...too bad!

There is plenty of room for ALL God's creatures....
......right next to the mashed potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen said...

> Yeah, I know, I do have some peculiarities.

Ya don't say?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:
> Hi All,
> Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes. I'm
> allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there :-)
> This is my first Thanksgiving where I'll be the only one NOT eating
> turkey. IN the past, it was my husband being the only one eating
> turkey.

Find some dried bread or cornbread stuffing crumbs (like Pepperidge Farm)
that doesn't bother you (having to add butter or margarine - I'm not a
vegetarian so I don't know how butter plays into things). Prepare some,
moistened with a rich vegetable stock. Season the dressing with some dried
sage, tarragon, some thyme, salt & pepper. Taste it and adjust the
seasonings. Then spoon it into split and seeded buttercup or acorn squash
halves and bake it until the squash is fork-tender and the stuffing on top
is golden brown, I'd guess about 45 minutes at 325F. I'm planning to make
something similar but I'm absolutely not a vegetarian. That's why I don't
know about the butter thing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I'm looking for any interesting, tasty and hopefully easy side
> dishes/desserts/appetizers/salads that any of you would like to share.
> I'd love to hear a few, "wow, this is so delicious!!!" I"m not a great
> cook, I've never been big on following recipes and when there are too
> many ingredients, I tend to get turned off.

Yeah lots of ingredients are a turrnoff but they actually can lead to some
very tasty dishes. Good luck and have fun.

2 lb yams, in 2 inch chunks.
1 cup fresh squeezed oj.
1 tablespoon minced orange zest.
1/2 - 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon salt
butter or olive oil
1 cup toasted pecans

Steam the yams over boiling water for about 20 minutes or until tender.

Mash the yams adding the fresh squeezed orange juice, powdered ginger, salt,
and fresh minced orange zest,. Add butter or olive oil depending on your fat
pref, or leave the fat out.

Add 1 cup toasted pecans to the mashed yams.

Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

Chestnut Compote (From the Green's Cookbook)

3 Tablespoons butter
1 pint Pearl Onions, peeled.
1 1/2 cups veal or beef stock
1 cup port
2 cups moist prunes
2 cups whole chestnuts, roasted and peeled *
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- or -
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
thyme sprigs for garnish

In small saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add onions and saute, rolling them on
all sides to coat evenly. Add 1 cup stock, bring to a boil - then simmer.
Cook
until the onions are clear and soft, about 25 minutes. Set aside.

In another saucepan, combine 3/4 cup port, prunes and remaining stock, and
bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer until pretty soft, about 10 minutes.
Spoon the prunes into the onions.

In a sauté pan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and add the
chestnuts.
Add the remaining port and toss chestnuts to coat and glaze. Combine with
onions & prunes. Add salt, pepper and chopped thyme.

Serve at room temperature.

* I've found the easiest way to roast and peel chestnuts is to cut an x in
the
flat side of their shells with a sharp knife, then roast them in a 425 oven
for
15 or 20 minutes. While they're roasting, put some water on to boil. When
you
take the nuts out of the oven, plunge them in the boiling water and let them
simmer for about 5 minutes. This steams the sometimes stubborned inner shell
off the nut. Remove them one by one to peel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> tofuqueen wrote:

> Then spoon it into split and seeded buttercup or acorn squash
> halves and bake it until the squash is fork-tender and the stuffing on top
> is golden brown, I'd guess about 45 minutes at 325F. I'm planning to make
> something similar but I'm absolutely not a vegetarian. That's why I don't
> know about the butter thing.
>
> Jill

This is a forgotten dish from my childhood, but in my memory it has sausage
:-P I know what I"m making for dinner next week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> tofuqueen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes.
>> I'm allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there
>> :-) This is my first Thanksgiving where I'll be the only one NOT
>> eating turkey. IN the past, it was my husband being the only one
>> eating turkey.
>>

> Find some dried bread or cornbread stuffing crumbs (like Pepperidge
> Farm) that doesn't bother you (having to add butter or margarine -
> I'm not a vegetarian so I don't know how butter plays into things).
> Prepare some, moistened with a rich vegetable stock. Season the
> dressing with some dried sage, tarragon, some thyme, salt & pepper.
> Taste it and adjust the seasonings. Then spoon it into split and
> seeded buttercup or acorn squash halves and bake it until the squash
> is fork-tender and the stuffing on top is golden brown, I'd guess
> about 45 minutes at 325F. I'm planning to make something similar but
> I'm absolutely not a vegetarian. That's why I don't know about the
> butter thing.
>
> Jill

I like that idea, Jill! I'm going to have to try it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> tofuqueen wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes.
>>> I'm allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there
>>> :-) This is my first Thanksgiving where I'll be the only one NOT
>>> eating turkey. IN the past, it was my husband being the only one
>>> eating turkey.
>>>

>> Find some dried bread or cornbread stuffing crumbs (like Pepperidge
>> Farm) that doesn't bother you (having to add butter or margarine -
>> I'm not a vegetarian so I don't know how butter plays into things).
>> Prepare some, moistened with a rich vegetable stock. Season the
>> dressing with some dried sage, tarragon, some thyme, salt & pepper.
>> Taste it and adjust the seasonings. Then spoon it into split and
>> seeded buttercup or acorn squash halves and bake it until the squash
>> is fork-tender and the stuffing on top is golden brown, I'd guess
>> about 45 minutes at 325F. I'm planning to make something similar but
>> I'm absolutely not a vegetarian. That's why I don't know about the
>> butter thing.
>>
>> Jill

> I like that idea, Jill! I'm going to have to try it.
>
> kili

Did the dietician tell you anything about the reconstituted Butter Buds? It
would work perfectly for adding to stuffing crumbs along with stock
(vegetable or otherwise) if you're allowed to eat it!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> tofuqueen wrote:
>>>>
>>> Find some dried bread or cornbread stuffing crumbs (like Pepperidge
>>> Farm) that doesn't bother you (having to add butter or margarine -
>>> I'm not a vegetarian so I don't know how butter plays into things).
>>> Prepare some, moistened with a rich vegetable stock. Season the
>>> dressing with some dried sage, tarragon, some thyme, salt & pepper.
>>> Taste it and adjust the seasonings. Then spoon it into split and
>>> seeded buttercup or acorn squash halves and bake it until the squash
>>> is fork-tender and the stuffing on top is golden brown, I'd guess
>>> about 45 minutes at 325F. I'm planning to make something similar
>>> but I'm absolutely not a vegetarian. That's why I don't know about
>>> the butter thing.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I like that idea, Jill! I'm going to have to try it.
>>
>> kili

> Did the dietician tell you anything about the reconstituted Butter
> Buds? It would work perfectly for adding to stuffing crumbs along
> with stock (vegetable or otherwise) if you're allowed to eat it!
>
> Jill

Jill, I haven't heard from the clinic all week! That means I'm absolutely
expecting a call tomorrow telling me when my surgery date is. My thoracic
surgeon said that his schedule was full until the 6th and he had to
correlate with the anesthesiologist and the plastic surgeon, so....... I'm
thinking Wednesday, maybe?

(When I'm there, in-patient - or should that be impatient? - , I'll see a
dietician.)

It's been a nice week "off", though. I've been busy fixing people's
computers, visiting with friends from out-of-town, doing things, seeing
people and spending quality time with my hubby, since I'll be out of
commission for a LONG time after this. I'm trying to make sure that the
house is in order as well. (i.e. stocked on light bulbs, house is clean
(for now), etc. I've been really busy. It's funny; if you expect to not be
able to do pretty much anything for about 6 months or more, you'd be amazed
at the little things you need to think of AND what people think of you! All
of a sudden, NOW people want me to fix their computers. I've been here the
whole time, duh! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

> (When I'm there, in-patient - or should that be impatient? - , I'll
> see a dietician.)
>
> All of a sudden, NOW people want me to fix their computers. I've been

here the whole time, duh! :~)

I sure as hell hope you are charging those people for working on their
computers! Funny how freebie-seekers come running out of the woodwork when
things are less than perfect for you. This is *not* the time to become a
"sure I'll do it" charity. No excuses, no charity cases. No "I'll pay you
when I get my tax refund". I don't care if the minister drops off free food
at their house; I don't care if they are on welfare or have kids or have a
boyfriend who might get paid later or whatever. You know what I think about
your neighbors!!

If *anyone* wants your help, make them pay for it. Over the phone, take
nothing less than a credit card that you can run through the actual bank.
Note: Visa cards start with the number 4, Mastercard's with the number 5.
AmEx starts with the number 6 or 7, I can't recall at the moment.

Going to their house to work on a computer? $125/hour with a 1 hour minimum
fee and a contract in your hand for them to sign. Period. Absolutely.

In short, please don't let yourself be taken advantage of. And blessed be

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

I don't care
> if they are on welfare or have kids or have a boyfriend who might get
> paid later or whatever. You know what I think about your neighbors!!
>
> If *anyone* wants your help, make them pay for it. Over the phone,
> take nothing less than a credit card that you can run through the
> actual bank. Note: Visa cards start with the number 4, Mastercard's
> with the number 5. AmEx starts with the number 6 or 7, I can't recall
> at the moment.

LOL, Discover starts with a 6, American Express starts with a 3. You learn
that when you're the former manager of a company who does electronic
billing. <g>

And, my neighbor paid me in food (food card, food stamps, so I guess *you*
all paid me), but whatever, another person paid my phone bill, another
person gave me some free CD-R's and a gas gift card worth $20, and the other
person still owes. As a tech, I usually charge about $40 per visit to
diagnose a problem. Luckily, and thankfully, word is getting out that I'm
here, finally. People would much rather go by word of mouth than a person
out of a phone book, so I'm getting referrals. Thing is, they're all
saying, "She's sick, get her now before you can't!"

Funny how that is. :~)

I'll take it! We need it!

Hope you are doing well. I may just try your stuffed squash thingy soon,
before I get.........well, you know. :-(

kili <------- who's NOT looking forward to surgery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

> I don't care
>> if they are on welfare or have kids or have a boyfriend who might get
>> paid later or whatever. You know what I think about your neighbors!!
>>
>> If *anyone* wants your help, make them pay for it. Over the phone,
>> take nothing less than a credit card that you can run through the
>> actual bank. Note: Visa cards start with the number 4, Mastercard's
>> with the number 5. AmEx starts with the number 6 or 7, I can't recall
>> at the moment.
>>

> LOL, Discover starts with a 6, American Express starts with a 3. You
> learn that when you're the former manager of a company who does
> electronic billing. <g>
>
> And, my neighbor paid me in food (food card, food stamps, so I guess
> *you* all paid me), but whatever, another person paid my phone bill,
> another person gave me some free CD-R's and a gas gift card worth $20,
> and the other person still owes. As a tech, I usually charge about
> $40 per visit to diagnose a problem. Luckily, and thankfully, word is
> getting out that I'm here, finally. People would much rather go by
> word of mouth than a person out of a phone book, so I'm getting
> referrals. Thing is, they're all saying, "She's sick, get her now
> before you can't!"

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, how's abouts getting your butt over here to fix mine??

$40 a visit.......... I *like* that :-)

Stay strong.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in
> :
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

> Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, how's abouts getting your butt over here to fix mine??
>
> $40 a visit.......... I *like* that :-)

Thank, Peter. :-) What's wrong with it? E-mail me directly and maybe I
can help. kilikini at tampabay dot rr dot com.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in news:uzl3h.2626
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> "kilikini" > wrote in
>> :

>> Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, how's abouts getting your butt over here to fix

mine??

>> $40 a visit.......... I *like* that :-)
>>

> Thank, Peter. :-) What's wrong with it? E-mail me directly and

maybe I
> can help. kilikini at tampabay dot rr dot com.

Will do in the morning. It's 2345hrs, had a 1&1/2" thick chargrilled T-
bone (seared on the barby and finished to medium rare in the oven), with
a side serving of crispy fresh mescalun and rocket salad
and a couple bottles of Barwang 1998 Special Reserve Cab Sav to go with
it.

Had a big day......... went for a boat cruise for a couple of hours, met
up with SO's #1 daughter for lunch, got back and the local restaurant
owners gave us a call when we were on the way home, to come and have a
bottle of wine with them.

*Finally* got home and cooked the (boneless T-bones) and sat down to
relax.

To fuzzy at the moment to talk technical :-)

Crux of the problem is...... I have two boxes side by side here, one
died. Don't know if it's a HD or a RAM problem. What I wanted to do was
take the HD out of the dead one and put it in here. And see if it works
again.

And now it's 2355hrs, and it's time for me to have a shower and hit the
sack.

Looking forward to it too... 1000 count sheets do that for you :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> tofuqueen wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes. I'm
> > allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there :-)
> > This is my first Thanksgiving where I'll be the only one NOT eating
> > turkey. IN the past, it was my husband being the only one eating
> > turkey.
> >

> Find some dried bread or cornbread stuffing crumbs (like Pepperidge Farm)
> that doesn't bother you (having to add butter or margarine - I'm not a
> vegetarian so I don't know how butter plays into things). Prepare some,
> moistened with a rich vegetable stock. Season the dressing with some dried
> sage, tarragon, some thyme, salt & pepper. Taste it and adjust the
> seasonings. Then spoon it into split and seeded buttercup or acorn squash
> halves and bake it until the squash is fork-tender and the stuffing on top
> is golden brown, I'd guess about 45 minutes at 325F. I'm planning to make
> something similar but I'm absolutely not a vegetarian. That's why I don't
> know about the butter thing.
>
> Jill

This sounds lovely Jill, Thank you! I think I"ll try it this week and
see how my daughter and I like it. Sounds pretty easy too. I
appreciate your help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rox formerly rmg wrote:
> "tofuqueen" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> > I'm looking for any interesting, tasty and hopefully easy side
> > dishes/desserts/appetizers/salads that any of you would like to share.
> > I'd love to hear a few, "wow, this is so delicious!!!" I"m not a great
> > cook, I've never been big on following recipes and when there are too
> > many ingredients, I tend to get turned off.

> Yeah lots of ingredients are a turrnoff but they actually can lead to some
> very tasty dishes. Good luck and have fun.
>
> 2 lb yams, in 2 inch chunks.
> 1 cup fresh squeezed oj.
> 1 tablespoon minced orange zest.
> 1/2 - 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
> 1 teaspoon salt
> butter or olive oil
> 1 cup toasted pecans
>
> Steam the yams over boiling water for about 20 minutes or until tender.
>
> Mash the yams adding the fresh squeezed orange juice, powdered ginger, salt,
> and fresh minced orange zest,. Add butter or olive oil depending on your fat
> pref, or leave the fat out.
>
> Add 1 cup toasted pecans to the mashed yams.
>
> Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

> Chestnut Compote (From the Green's Cookbook)
>
> 3 Tablespoons butter
> 1 pint Pearl Onions, peeled.
> 1 1/2 cups veal or beef stock
> 1 cup port
> 2 cups moist prunes
> 2 cups whole chestnuts, roasted and peeled *
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
> 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
> - or -
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
> thyme sprigs for garnish
>
> In small saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter. Add onions and saute, rolling them on
> all sides to coat evenly. Add 1 cup stock, bring to a boil - then simmer.
> Cook
> until the onions are clear and soft, about 25 minutes. Set aside.
>
> In another saucepan, combine 3/4 cup port, prunes and remaining stock, and
> bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer until pretty soft, about 10 minutes.
> Spoon the prunes into the onions.
>
> In a sauté pan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and add the
> chestnuts.
> Add the remaining port and toss chestnuts to coat and glaze. Combine with
> onions & prunes. Add salt, pepper and chopped thyme.
>
> Serve at room temperature.
>
> * I've found the easiest way to roast and peel chestnuts is to cut an x in
> the
> flat side of their shells with a sharp knife, then roast them in a 425 oven
> for
> 15 or 20 minutes. While they're roasting, put some water on to boil. When
> you
> take the nuts out of the oven, plunge them in the boiling water and let them
> simmer for about 5 minutes. This steams the sometimes stubborned inner shell
> off the nut. Remove them one by one to peel.

Thank you very much; for sure I'll try the first one. Unless I can
find peeled chestnuts, I'll probaby pass on the work that it looks like
it takes :-) I guess I'm not a real foodie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> tofuqueen wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes.
>>> I'm allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there
>>> :-) This is my first Thanksgiving where I'll be the only one NOT
>>> eating turkey. IN the past, it was my husband being the only one
>>> eating turkey.
>>>

>> Find some dried bread or cornbread stuffing crumbs (like Pepperidge
>> Farm) that doesn't bother you (having to add butter or margarine -
>> I'm not a vegetarian so I don't know how butter plays into things).
>> Prepare some, moistened with a rich vegetable stock. Season the
>> dressing with some dried sage, tarragon, some thyme, salt & pepper.
>> Taste it and adjust the seasonings. Then spoon it into split and
>> seeded buttercup or acorn squash halves and bake it until the squash
>> is fork-tender and the stuffing on top is golden brown, I'd guess
>> about 45 minutes at 325F. I'm planning to make something similar
>> but I'm absolutely not a vegetarian. That's why I don't know about
>> the butter thing.
>>
>> Jill

> This sounds lovely Jill, Thank you! I think I"ll try it this week and
> see how my daughter and I like it. Sounds pretty easy too. I
> appreciate your help.

Your're welcome. I like stuffed squash

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> tofuqueen wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >> tofuqueen wrote:

> > This sounds lovely Jill, Thank you! I think I"ll try it this week and
> > see how my daughter and I like it. Sounds pretty easy too. I
> > appreciate your help.

> Your're welcome. I like stuffed squash

I would have never thought of it, but it really sounds wonderful. I've
already told Allan that, as long as I'm home, that's what I want for
Thanksgiving dinner. Stuffed squash with cornbread stuffing. He can go to
his mother's or cook whatever he wants, but I want stuffed squash. (Shoots,
I may not be able to wait until Thanksgiving!) <g>

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 16:51:19 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> (Shoots, I may not be able to wait until Thanksgiving!) <g>

Hey, you need to "practice" so you'll get it right on the big day!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In ups.com,
tofuqueen > typed:
> Hi All,
> Veggie here, looking for animal free, tasty, healthy side dishes.
> I'm
> allowing my son to cook a turkey in my oven, but it stops there :-)
> This is my first Thanksgiving where I'll be the only one NOT eating
> turkey. IN the past, it was my husband being the only one eating
> turkey.

I have three requests for me to cook whole hogs for Thanksgiving day
celebrations. Since I got these orders, I've had to turn away about
15 orders for smoked turkey.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> I have three requests for me to cook whole hogs for Thanksgiving day
> celebrations. Since I got these orders, I've had to turn away about
> 15 orders for smoked turkey.

How do you do your hogs?
I was in the commissary this week and saw an older man buying charcoal,
a gallon of soy sauce, a bag with about 50 large knobs of garlic, a 50
pound bag of rice and a couple of cans of spam, lol. He appeared to be
pacific islander or something? I wondered if he was doing a huge bbq pig
or something with all the soy sauce and garlic. I was intrigued.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 typed:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> I have three requests for me to cook whole hogs for Thanksgiving
>> day
>> celebrations. Since I got these orders, I've had to turn away
>> about
>> 15 orders for smoked turkey.
>>

> How do you do your hogs?
> I was in the commissary this week and saw an older man buying
> charcoal,
> a gallon of soy sauce, a bag with about 50 large knobs of garlic, a
> 50
> pound bag of rice and a couple of cans of spam, lol. He appeared
> to be
> pacific islander or something? I wondered if he was doing a huge bbq
> pig
> or something with all the soy sauce and garlic. I was intrigued.

In a dedicated Hog Smoker. It'll cook a 155 pounder (dressed) easily,
but we've smoked up to 225 pounds. It's a little crowded, but it
begins to shrink after a few hours.
This particular smoker is very labor intense, it needs "feeding" about
once every 45 minutes during the (up to) 18 hour cook.
Our injection (instead of marinade or baste) is cider vinegar,
wostershire sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper,
allspice, paprica, and whatever else suits us at the time.

BOB
sorry for the delay in answering...I've been busy getting ready for
the cooks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> In a dedicated Hog Smoker. It'll cook a 155 pounder (dressed) easily,
> but we've smoked up to 225 pounds. It's a little crowded, but it
> begins to shrink after a few hours.
> This particular smoker is very labor intense, it needs "feeding" about
> once every 45 minutes during the (up to) 18 hour cook.
> Our injection (instead of marinade or baste) is cider vinegar,
> wostershire sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper,
> allspice, paprica, and whatever else suits us at the time.

Man, I wish I was getting some of that. I've got orders for 79 smoked whole
turkeys, and another 113 orders for turkey breasts. I doubt I'll be much in
the mood for turkey on Thanksgiving.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In ,
Dave Bugg > typed:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> In a dedicated Hog Smoker. It'll cook a 155 pounder (dressed)
>> easily,
>> but we've smoked up to 225 pounds. It's a little crowded, but it
>> begins to shrink after a few hours.
>> This particular smoker is very labor intense, it needs "feeding"
>> about
>> once every 45 minutes during the (up to) 18 hour cook.
>> Our injection (instead of marinade or baste) is cider vinegar,
>> wostershire sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne
>> pepper,
>> allspice, paprica, and whatever else suits us at the time.

> Man, I wish I was getting some of that. I've got orders for 79
> smoked whole
> turkeys, and another 113 orders for turkey breasts. I doubt I'll be
> much in
> the mood for turkey on Thanksgiving.
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

If things go well, I'll be able to buy a less-labor-intense Hog Smoker
of my own.
Right now it's fun, but stoking a fire every 45 minutes for 18 hours
gets old fast.
I'll probably greatfully eat turkey on Thanksgiving.
;-) '-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> If things go well, I'll be able to buy a less-labor-intense Hog Smoker
> of my own.
> Right now it's fun, but stoking a fire every 45 minutes for 18 hours
> gets old fast.

No foolin'; especially when you need to get some sleep.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg typed:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> If things go well, I'll be able to buy a less-labor-intense Hog
>> Smoker
>> of my own.
>> Right now it's fun, but stoking a fire every 45 minutes for 18
>> hours
>> gets old fast.

> No foolin'; especially when you need to get some sleep.

Exactly. The insulated, (double) gravity feed unit that I'm looking
at *should* be able to go at least 20 hours on one load. We'll see on
December 8th and 9th when we demo the prototype at the Florida BBQ
Association's competition in Starke. I'm so sure that it will work,
I've already got my motel room reserved. ;-)

BOB

> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> Exactly. The insulated, (double) gravity feed unit that I'm looking
> at *should* be able to go at least 20 hours on one load. We'll see on
> December 8th and 9th when we demo the prototype at the Florida BBQ
> Association's competition in Starke. I'm so sure that it will work,
> I've already got my motel room reserved. ;-)

Try and get some pictures of the beast to post on AFB; I'd love to see it.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg typed:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> Exactly. The insulated, (double) gravity feed unit that I'm
>> looking
>> at *should* be able to go at least 20 hours on one load. We'll see
>> on
>> December 8th and 9th when we demo the prototype at the Florida BBQ
>> Association's competition in Starke. I'm so sure that it will
>> work,
>> I've already got my motel room reserved. ;-)

> Try and get some pictures of the beast to post on AFB; I'd love to
> see it.

I'll try. It was supposed to be ready for us to use at the "Best of
the Best" competition at the National BBQ Festival in Douglas,
Georgia, November 2 - 4, but wasn't. We had to use the old (hungry)
one.
I've been supposed to take some pictures of other Stump's Smokers at
other times (for the website) but I either forget, or the pictures
aren't any good. Too much fun and alcohol?

BOB