Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

Default Wonderful old recipe and 'useful things to know' book :-)

My wife was going through her recipe books yesterday, when she pulled this
small, A5 sized book off the shelf - looks like one of those school note
book type things. I didn't know she had this, but apparently it's been owned
passed down the line of women folk since it was printed, in 1908. It's (from
memory) titled "The Whalley Parish Fundraiser Recipe and 'Useful Things To
Know' Book".

It's an absolute delight to read, it being written when it was, and some of
that, copied from even older writings passed down. Some of the recipes sound
great, others, especially some of the 'medicinal' ones sound down right
scary!

Some great cough medicine recipes in there though. Pity one cannot easily
and legally purchase 'laudanum' any more! I miss the old apothecary ;-(

I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find one or
two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and post them here.
I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the web sometime - I just
found it really charming.

Precisely two and one quarter 'drachms' (no more and no less) of whiskey,
anyone? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Shaun aRe wrote:

> I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find
> one or two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and post
> them here. I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the web
> sometime - I just found it really charming.

Sounds neat!

If you have a scanner or digital camera you could capture the pages and
turn it into a pdf. Preserving the layout and design and notes, etc. from
so long ago.

--
Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> My wife was going through her recipe books yesterday, when she pulled
> this
> small, A5 sized book off the shelf - looks like one of those school
> note
> book type things. I didn't know she had this, but apparently it's been
> owned
> passed down the line of women folk since it was printed, in 1908. It's
> (from
> memory) titled "The Whalley Parish Fundraiser Recipe and 'Useful
> Things To
> Know' Book".
>
> It's an absolute delight to read, it being written when it was, and
> some of
> that, copied from even older writings passed down. Some of the recipes
> sound
> great, others, especially some of the 'medicinal' ones sound down
> right
> scary!
>
> Some great cough medicine recipes in there though. Pity one cannot
> easily
> and legally purchase 'laudanum' any more! I miss the old apothecary
> ;-(
>
> I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find
> one or
> two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and post them
> here.
> I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the web sometime - I
> just
> found it really charming.

I would love you to do that)

> Precisely two and one quarter 'drachms' (no more and no less) of
> whiskey,
> anyone? ',;~}~

Pah... are you crazy???????????????? )

> Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> > I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find
> > one or two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and post
> > them here. I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the web
> > sometime - I just found it really charming.

> Sounds neat!
>
> If you have a scanner or digital camera you could capture the pages and
> turn it into a pdf. Preserving the layout and design and notes, etc. from
> so long ago.

'If you have a scanner...' ',;~{~

'... or digital camera...',;~}~

Will have to try that, then - see how it comes out. Turn it into pdf?
Haven't the foggiest how that works...

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> reenews.net...
> >

> > My wife was going through her recipe books yesterday, when she pulled
> > this
> > small, A5 sized book off the shelf - looks like one of those school
> > note
> > book type things. I didn't know she had this, but apparently it's been
> > owned
> > passed down the line of women folk since it was printed, in 1908. It's
> > (from
> > memory) titled "The Whalley Parish Fundraiser Recipe and 'Useful
> > Things To
> > Know' Book".
> >
> > It's an absolute delight to read, it being written when it was, and
> > some of
> > that, copied from even older writings passed down. Some of the recipes
> > sound
> > great, others, especially some of the 'medicinal' ones sound down
> > right
> > scary!
> >
> > Some great cough medicine recipes in there though. Pity one cannot
> > easily
> > and legally purchase 'laudanum' any more! I miss the old apothecary
> > ;-(
> >
> > I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find
> > one or
> > two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and post them
> > here.
> > I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the web sometime - I
> > just
> > found it really charming.

> I would love you to do that)

I will try and remember to try and find the time to try and do it (just a
couple of fotos mebbe for now) this w/e if I can, but we're a bit tight on
time and stuff this w/e and the home PC is still in the shop. If not this
w/e, well then, I'll do it eventually, heheheh...

> > Precisely two and one quarter 'drachms' (no more and no less) of
> > whiskey,
> > anyone? ',;~}~

> Pah... are you crazy???????????????? )

OK then make it 5 straight ;;~}~

Shaun aRe - How much is a drachms anyway?!? (I take it, drachms = dram?).

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bull moose

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:54:54 -0000, "Shaun aRe"
> wrote:

>"Andy" <q> wrote in message
. ..
>> Shaun aRe wrote:
>>
>> > I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find
>> > one or two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and post
>> > them here. I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the web
>> > sometime - I just found it really charming.

>> Sounds neat!
>>
>> If you have a scanner or digital camera you could capture the pages and
>> turn it into a pdf. Preserving the layout and design and notes, etc. from
>> so long ago.

Others as far back as the "90s" have successfully turned these into
full graphic rtf files.. depends on the software you have.. there was
one that was just gaining popularity back in 99 or so from netherlands
that promised to do it extreemly simpley (and old tymer could do it)
I forgot the name, but right now I dont have the hundreds of bucks it
cost... OH well..

bull

>'If you have a scanner...' ',;~{~
>
>'... or digital camera...',;~}~
>
>Will have to try that, then - see how it comes out. Turn it into pdf?
>Haven't the foggiest how that works...
>
>Cheers!
>

>Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>
>> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
>> reenews.net...
>> >

>> > My wife was going through her recipe books yesterday, when she
>> > pulled
>> > this
>> > small, A5 sized book off the shelf - looks like one of those school
>> > note
>> > book type things. I didn't know she had this, but apparently it's
>> > been
>> > owned
>> > passed down the line of women folk since it was printed, in 1908.
>> > It's
>> > (from
>> > memory) titled "The Whalley Parish Fundraiser Recipe and 'Useful
>> > Things To
>> > Know' Book".
>> >
>> > It's an absolute delight to read, it being written when it was, and
>> > some of
>> > that, copied from even older writings passed down. Some of the
>> > recipes
>> > sound
>> > great, others, especially some of the 'medicinal' ones sound down
>> > right
>> > scary!
>> >
>> > Some great cough medicine recipes in there though. Pity one cannot
>> > easily
>> > and legally purchase 'laudanum' any more! I miss the old apothecary
>> > ;-(
>> >
>> > I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find
>> > one or
>> > two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and post
>> > them
>> > here.
>> > I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the web sometime - I
>> > just
>> > found it really charming.

>> I would love you to do that)

> I will try and remember to try and find the time to try and do it
> (just a
> couple of fotos mebbe for now) this w/e if I can, but we're a bit
> tight on
> time and stuff this w/e and the home PC is still in the shop. If not
> this
> w/e, well then, I'll do it eventually, heheheh...
>
>> > Precisely two and one quarter 'drachms' (no more and no less) of
>> > whiskey,
>> > anyone? ',;~}~

>> Pah... are you crazy???????????????? )

> OK then make it 5 straight ;;~}~

Hehe

> Shaun aRe - How much is a drachms anyway?!? (I take it, drachms =
> dram?).

>http://tinyurl.com/85s3d

Have wee lookie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Shaun aRe wrote:
> My wife was going through her recipe books yesterday, when she pulled
> this small, A5 sized book off the shelf - looks like one of those
> school note book type things. I didn't know she had this, but
> apparently it's been owned passed down the line of women folk since
> it was printed, in 1908. It's (from memory) titled "The Whalley
> Parish Fundraiser Recipe and 'Useful Things To Know' Book".
>
> It's an absolute delight to read, it being written when it was, and
> some of that, copied from even older writings passed down. Some of
> the recipes sound great, others, especially some of the 'medicinal'
> ones sound down right scary!
>
> Some great cough medicine recipes in there though. Pity one cannot
> easily and legally purchase 'laudanum' any more! I miss the old
> apothecary ;-(

You aren't old enough to remember laudenum as a painkiller! Morphine, maybe
Cocaine in cola... naw, that was stateside

> I'm going to take a better look at it soon, and see if I can't find
> one or two of the most charming and/or bizarre items from it, and
> post them here. I'd love to get the whole little booklet up on the
> web sometime - I just found it really charming.
>
> Precisely two and one quarter 'drachms' (no more and no less) of
> whiskey, anyone? ',;~}~

Aye, I'm game!

> Shaun aRe

Jill