jmcquown

Default Interesting tidbit from Titanic Cookbook

Entitled "The Last Dinner on the Titanic - Menus and Recipes from the Great
Liner" by Rich Archbold and Dana McCauley, I read this bit of information
which I find fascinating. I've snipped some portions but the quotes from
the book are accurate:

"When all the lifeboats had departed, more than half of Titanic's passengers
and crew remained on the ship. One of those was the chief baker, Charles
Joughin, who had passed a most eventful night. When first awakened by the
impact, he had immediately organized a party of bakers to provision the
lifeboats with any bread they could find. Then he helped load the boats and
even bullied reluctant passengers into leaving the sinking ship."

"When all the boats were away, Joughin began throwing wooden chairs
overboard for use as life rafts. Whenever he needed a break, he nipped back
to his cabin on E-deck for a snort of whisky. By the time the ship was
about to sink, he seemed hardly to have minded."

"Calmly, almost nonchalantly, he stepped over the starboard rail and began
climbing the side of the ship until he stood on the upended stern." [NOTE:
this remind anyone of what those folks in the film did? Could the guy
wearing white suit sipping from the flask next to Leo DiCaprio and Kate
Winslett have been intended to portray Joughin?] He cinched in his lifebelt
as the ship began its plunge, stepped calmly into the water and swam gently
away."

"Thanks, presumeably, to the alcohol in his blood acting as an anti-freeze,
Joughin survived several hours in the icy water and emerged none the worse
for the experience."

OB Food:

Vegetable Soup
(from the Third Class, scaled in the book to serve 6)

2 Tbps. butter
1 finely chopped onion
1 cup each finely chopped celery and carrot
1 potato, peeled and cubed
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. each dried oregano and thyme
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups white kidney beans, drained
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup asparagus tips
2 cups shredded Swiss chard or spinach
salt & pepper

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery,
carrots, potato, garlic, oregano, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook,
stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onion is translucent.

Stir in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for
15-20 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.

Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans. Stir beans, corn and asparagus into
vegetable mixture. Cook, for 5 minutes until asparagus is bright green and
tender. Stir in Swiss chard and season to taste with salt & pepper. Makes
6 servings.

Jill

Julia Altshuler

jmcquown wrote:

> "Thanks, presumeably, to the alcohol in his blood acting as an anti-freeze,
> Joughin survived several hours in the icy water and emerged none the worse
> for the experience."

That's such a great story, it is almost a shame to question it, but
wouldn't the alcohol only help him lose body heat faster?

--Lia

jmcquown

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> "Thanks, presumeably, to the alcohol in his blood acting as an
>> anti-freeze, Joughin survived several hours in the icy water and
>> emerged none the worse for the experience."

> That's such a great story, it is almost a shame to question it, but
> wouldn't the alcohol only help him lose body heat faster?
>
> --Lia

I dunno, just quoted what the book said. My focus was pretty much on this
guy knowing the ship was going down and worrying about putting bread and
such in the lifeboats. My first thought would *not* be "Right! The ship is
sinking, better bake some more buns for the boats!" If it's true, I
applaude the gentleman who apparently didn't stick any bread in his own
(soon to be waterlogged) pockets

Jill

jmcquown

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> "Thanks, presumeably, to the alcohol in his blood acting as an
>> anti-freeze, Joughin survived several hours in the icy water and
>> emerged none the worse for the experience."

> That's such a great story, it is almost a shame to question it, but
> wouldn't the alcohol only help him lose body heat faster?
>
> --Lia

Lia, you might find the link to testimony as taken after the sinking
involving the chief baker interesting. I certainly do

http://www.titanicinquiry.org/BOTInq...Joughin01.html

Jill

Julia Altshuler

jmcquown wrote:

> Lia, you might find the link to testimony as taken after the sinking
> involving the chief baker interesting. I certainly do
>
> http://www.titanicinquiry.org/BOTInq...Joughin01.html

Thanks for the link. The things I learn!

--Lia

Scott

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Thanks, presumeably, to the alcohol in his blood acting as an anti-freeze,
> Joughin survived several hours in the icy water and emerged none the worse
> for the experience."

hmmm. Interesting story, but this part rings false. The problem in very
cold water isn't in literally freezing (the liquid in your body doesn't
solidify), it's in reduced body temperature, which an anti-freeze
doesn't prevent. This is opposed to frostbite, which requires ambient
temperatures BELOW freezing (and won't happen in water that's above the
freezing point).
More to the point, alcohol dilates blood vessels, which would cause you
to lose body heat faster.

please mail OT responses only
Wayne

Scott > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> "Thanks, presumeably, to the alcohol in his blood acting as an
>> anti-freeze, Joughin survived several hours in the icy water and
>> emerged none the worse for the experience."

> hmmm. Interesting story, but this part rings false. The problem in
> very cold water isn't in literally freezing (the liquid in your body
> doesn't solidify), it's in reduced body temperature, which an
> anti-freeze doesn't prevent. This is opposed to frostbite, which
> requires ambient temperatures BELOW freezing (and won't happen in
> water that's above the freezing point).

Remember that brine or salt water can be chilled below the freezing point
of 32°F. and still remain a liquid.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Glenn Jacobs

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:11:22 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Entitled "The Last Dinner on the Titanic - Menus and Recipes from the Great
> Liner" by Rich Archbold and Dana McCauley, I read this bit of information
> which I find fascinating. I've snipped some portions but the quotes from
> the book are accurate:
>
> "When all the lifeboats had departed, more than half of Titanic's passengers
> and crew remained on the ship. One of those was the chief baker, Charles
> Joughin, who had passed a most eventful night. When first awakened by the
> impact, he had immediately organized a party of bakers to provision the
> lifeboats with any bread they could find. Then he helped load the boats and
> even bullied reluctant passengers into leaving the sinking ship."
>
> "When all the boats were away, Joughin began throwing wooden chairs
> overboard for use as life rafts. Whenever he needed a break, he nipped back
> to his cabin on E-deck for a snort of whisky. By the time the ship was
> about to sink, he seemed hardly to have minded."
>
> "Calmly, almost nonchalantly, he stepped over the starboard rail and began
> climbing the side of the ship until he stood on the upended stern." [NOTE:
> this remind anyone of what those folks in the film did? Could the guy
> wearing white suit sipping from the flask next to Leo DiCaprio and Kate
> Winslett have been intended to portray Joughin?] He cinched in his lifebelt
> as the ship began its plunge, stepped calmly into the water and swam gently
> away."
>
> "Thanks, presumeably, to the alcohol in his blood acting as an anti-freeze,
> Joughin survived several hours in the icy water and emerged none the worse
> for the experience."
>
> OB Food:
>
> Vegetable Soup
> (from the Third Class, scaled in the book to serve 6)
>
> 2 Tbps. butter
> 1 finely chopped onion
> 1 cup each finely chopped celery and carrot
> 1 potato, peeled and cubed
> 5 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 tsp. each dried oregano and thyme
> 1 bay leaf
> 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
> 2 cups white kidney beans, drained
> 1 cup corn kernels
> 1 cup asparagus tips
> 2 cups shredded Swiss chard or spinach
> salt & pepper
>
> In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery,
> carrots, potato, garlic, oregano, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook,
> stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onion is translucent.
>
> Stir in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for
> 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
>
> Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans. Stir beans, corn and asparagus into
> vegetable mixture. Cook, for 5 minutes until asparagus is bright green and
> tender. Stir in Swiss chard and season to taste with salt & pepper. Makes
> 6 servings.
>
> Jill

Intersting I agree, but i am curious how was the inforamtion gathered,
didn't all those left on the ship die?
--
JakeInHartsel

jmcquown

Glenn Jacobs wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:11:22 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Entitled "The Last Dinner on the Titanic - Menus and Recipes from
>> the Great Liner" by Rich Archbold and Dana McCauley, I read this bit
>> of information which I find fascinating. I've snipped some portions

(snip)
> Intersting I agree, but i am curious how was the inforamtion gathered,
> didn't all those left on the ship die?

NO, they did not all die. I would think most of them, granted, but not
*all* by a long shot. As indicated in my original post, this chief baker
cinched on his lifebelt (as he himself will tell you in testimony in the
following link) and then swam away when the ship went down. He spent a
couple of hours in the icy water and later wound up on the Carpathia. He
survived to answer questions from the Soliciter-General and others from the
"wreck commission" about the foundering of this "unsinkable" ship.