Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Jean B: Another "Interesting" Cookbook

Found among the cache of things my mother left...

'A World of Good Eating.' A collection of Old and New Recipes from Many
Lands. Tested in the kitchen of a New England Housewife and Published for
the Enjoyment of Many American Families' Copyright 1951. Apparently
written by a Mrs. Heloise Frost.

The forward says "Like many another young homemaker, she likes nothing
better than to go out to eat at the strange and exotic restaurants that
serve the dishes of foreign lands. However, with three youngsters and a
busy budget, such ventures are limited. So Mrs. Frost found another answer.
If she couldn't go to the foreign restaurants, maybe she could bring their
exotic dishes into her own home. Cooking was fun anway. Now it became
really exciting as she chased down recipes of one country after another."

Under the heading 'The British Isles' is a recipe for English Muffins. Huh?

The book has some nicely coloured drawings (plates, I suppose you could call
them) and the book is published so as to appear all of the recipes are hand
written. It's quaint.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Found among the cache of things my mother left...
>
> 'A World of Good Eating.' A collection of Old and New Recipes from Many
> Lands. Tested in the kitchen of a New England Housewife and Published
> for the Enjoyment of Many American Families' Copyright 1951.
> Apparently written by a Mrs. Heloise Frost.
>
> The forward says "Like many another young homemaker, she likes nothing
> better than to go out to eat at the strange and exotic restaurants that
> serve the dishes of foreign lands. However, with three youngsters and a
> busy budget, such ventures are limited. So Mrs. Frost found another
> answer. If she couldn't go to the foreign restaurants, maybe she could
> bring their exotic dishes into her own home. Cooking was fun anway.
> Now it became really exciting as she chased down recipes of one country
> after another."
>
> Under the heading 'The British Isles' is a recipe for English Muffins.
> Huh?
>
> The book has some nicely coloured drawings (plates, I suppose you could
> call them) and the book is published so as to appear all of the recipes
> are hand written. It's quaint.
>
> Jill

Oh! That sounds interesting. Take a look at some of the
more-exotic recipes and see how archaic they are.

Interesting, perhaps among other things, the same author penned a
book on New England cookery.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> Interesting, perhaps among other things, the same author penned
> a book on New England cookery.

i have a New Hampshire Farm cookbook, compiled & printed in 1991 but
containing old recipes with terse directions (you're expected to know
certain things). also, Sturbridge Museum has a cookbook out with
modern adaptations of early 1800s recipes (with the original recipes
using open hearth included). that was quite useful when the power was
out, as one of my fireplaces still has the crane in place.
unfortunately, no bake oven
lee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in
> :
>
>> Interesting, perhaps among other things, the same author penned
>> a book on New England cookery.

> i have a New Hampshire Farm cookbook, compiled & printed in 1991 but
> containing old recipes with terse directions (you're expected to know
> certain things). also, Sturbridge Museum has a cookbook out with
> modern adaptations of early 1800s recipes (with the original recipes
> using open hearth included). that was quite useful when the power was
> out, as one of my fireplaces still has the crane in place.
> unfortunately, no bake oven
> lee

Oh! Lucky you with the crane! I'd really like a brick oven
though. Oh well, I need to forget about that now. Probably
forever. Sniff.

--
Jean B.