Old 09-11-2005, 11:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jillie

Default Fried Meyer lemon slices

I just returned from a lovely luncheon at La Provence Restaurant, here
in Roseville.

I had calamari, which was excellent, but the thing that was beyond
wonderful were the fried Meyer lemon slices that were served as a
garnish.

The slices were paper thin and dropped in the same batter as the
calamari and then fried. They were "almost" crisp and tasted so good.
There were about six slices on the plate and I ate every one of them

I'm going to try this at home and the next time I go there am going to
order a whole plate of these delightful morsels.

jillie
Rosevill, CA

Old 10-11-2005, 03:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

jillie wrote:

I just returned from a lovely luncheon at La Provence Restaurant, here
in Roseville.

I had calamari, which was excellent, but the thing that was beyond
wonderful were the fried Meyer lemon slices that were served as a
garnish.

The slices were paper thin and dropped in the same batter as the
calamari and then fried. They were "almost" crisp and tasted so good.
There were about six slices on the plate and I ate every one of them

I'm going to try this at home and the next time I go there am going to
order a whole plate of these delightful morsels.

jillie
Rosevill, CA

Aren't they just wonderful??!? Mario Batali often garnishes his dishes with
fried Meyer lemon slices, particularly as an accompaniment to fish.
'Course, I'm with you: they're just fine on their own, and even better when
heaped on large plates!

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

jillie wrote:
I just returned from a lovely luncheon at La Provence Restaurant, here
in Roseville.

I had calamari, which was excellent, but the thing that was beyond
wonderful were the fried Meyer lemon slices that were served as a
garnish.

The slices were paper thin and dropped in the same batter as the
calamari and then fried. They were "almost" crisp and tasted so good.
There were about six slices on the plate and I ate every one of them

I'm going to try this at home and the next time I go there am going to
order a whole plate of these delightful morsels.

jillie
Rosevill, CA

Don't save any of those slices for me, please. I will gladly eat an
unadulterated lemon, instead. )

Hugs, M
Old 10-11-2005, 01:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred

In article , "Spitzmaus" wrote:
jillie wrote:

I just returned from a lovely luncheon at La Provence Restaurant, here
in Roseville.

I had calamari, which was excellent, but the thing that was beyond
wonderful were the fried Meyer lemon slices that were served as a
garnish.

The slices were paper thin and dropped in the same batter as the
calamari and then fried. They were "almost" crisp and tasted so good.
There were about six slices on the plate and I ate every one of them

I'm going to try this at home and the next time I go there am going to
order a whole plate of these delightful morsels.

Aren't they just wonderful??!? Mario Batali often garnishes his dishes with
fried Meyer lemon slices, particularly as an accompaniment to fish.
'Course, I'm with you: they're just fine on their own, and even better when
heaped on large plates!

Probably just a silly question from a neophyte: But is this done with
"whole" lemon slices, or is the lemon skinned?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 10-11-2005, 02:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Stark

In article . com,
jillie wrote:

I just returned from a lovely luncheon at La Provence Restaurant, here
in Roseville.

I had calamari, which was excellent, but the thing that was beyond
wonderful were the fried Meyer lemon slices that were served as a
garnish.

The slices were paper thin and dropped in the same batter as the
calamari and then fried. They were "almost" crisp and tasted so good.
There were about six slices on the plate and I ate every one of them

I'm going to try this at home and the next time I go there am going to
order a whole plate of these delightful morsels.

jillie
Rosevill, CA

I'd have them after dinner, unless dieting. Tart citrus is an appetite
suppressant for me. One taste of a salad with grapefruit, meyer
lemons, preserved lemons or pomegranite and I don't want my entree.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
jillie

The slices were from a whole lemon...rind and all.

The slices were paper thin, and they were delicious.

After Spitz mentioned that Mario Batalia made them, I went to
foodnetwork.com and found the recipe. Nothing to it and I think I'll
be making these to garnish my sliced turkey platter for Thanksgiving.
That is, if I don't eat them all before they get to the dining room!

Here is Mario's recipe...
Lemon Crisps
4 cups vegetable oil
2 lemons
1 1/2 cups rice flour
Watercress, for garnish

In a medium sized saucepan, over medium heat, heat 1 to 2 inches of the
oil in a deep saucepot to about 250 degrees F. Cut off the ends of the
lemons. Using a sharp mandolin, slice the lemons into thin rings about
1/16th of an inch. Coat each ring individually in the rice flour and
fry in the hot oil until it begins to slightly brown. Remove from the
oil and place on a paper towel and allow them to sit for a minute to
fully cook.

jillie
Roseville, CA

Old 10-11-2005, 05:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"jillie" wrote in message
oups.com...
The slices were from a whole lemon...rind and all.

The slices were paper thin, and they were delicious.

After Spitz mentioned that Mario Batalia made them, I went to
foodnetwork.com and found the recipe. Nothing to it and I think I'll
be making these to garnish my sliced turkey platter for Thanksgiving.
That is, if I don't eat them all before they get to the dining room!

I saw Tuesday for the first time in my life Meyer lemons. They were at Whole
Foods in Baltimore, MD. For non-organic, they were $2.99 a lb. and waxed.
I was tempted to buy a couple -- but I had no recipe nor idea what would be
the best use for them, so I passed them up. But they were cute!
Dee Dee

Old 10-11-2005, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Stark wrote:

I'd have them after dinner, unless dieting. Tart citrus is an appetite
suppressant for me. One taste of a salad with grapefruit, meyer
lemons, preserved lemons or pomegranite and I don't want my entree.

Can't remember if it suppressed my appetite, but when I was little, my
mother used to "drill" a hole in a lemon and insert a peppermint stick in
the hole. I'd slurp the lemon juice up through the peppermint stick,
straw-fashion; my goodness, that mix of tart citrus and mint was a thing of
beauty. And a great childhood memory to boot!

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Old 10-11-2005, 08:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Pan Ohco

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:48:46 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

I saw Tuesday for the first time in my life Meyer lemons. They were at Whole
Foods in Baltimore, MD. For non-organic, they were $2.99 a lb. and waxed.
I was tempted to buy a couple -- but I had no recipe nor idea what would be
the best use for them, so I passed them up. But they were cute!
Dee Dee

They make great lemoncello

Pan Ohco

Old 10-11-2005, 08:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Pan Ohco" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:48:46 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

I saw Tuesday for the first time in my life Meyer lemons. They were at
Whole
Foods in Baltimore, MD. For non-organic, they were $2.99 a lb. and waxed.
I was tempted to buy a couple -- but I had no recipe nor idea what would
be
the best use for them, so I passed them up. But they were cute!
Dee Dee

They make great lemoncello

Pan Ohco

Is lemoncello generally made from Meyer lemons? Or is it that Meyer lemons
just make better lemoncello?
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

On 9 Nov 2005 14:59:52 -0800, "jillie" wrote:

I had calamari, which was excellent, but the thing that was beyond
wonderful were the fried Meyer lemon slices that were served as a
garnish.

What is a Meyer lemon?

(and is it sold at Fred Meyer's?)

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Denny Wheeler wrote:

On 9 Nov 2005 14:59:52 -0800, "jillie" wrote:

I had calamari, which was excellent, but the thing that was beyond
wonderful were the fried Meyer lemon slices that were served as a
garnish.

What is a Meyer lemon?

(and is it sold at Fred Meyer's?)

--
-denny-

I don't know if it's sold at Fred Meyer's ;-), but I know what a Meyer
lemon is.

It's a lemon variety that was first imported from China by a Mr. Meyer
in 1908. They are smaller, thin skinned and sweeter than a typical
lemon. The taste is described as a cross between a lemon and a
tangerine.

marcella
Old 10-11-2005, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Pan Ohco

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:25:23 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

"Pan Ohco" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:48:46 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

I saw Tuesday for the first time in my life Meyer lemons. They were at
Whole
Foods in Baltimore, MD. For non-organic, they were $2.99 a lb. and waxed.
I was tempted to buy a couple -- but I had no recipe nor idea what would
be
the best use for them, so I passed them up. But they were cute!
Dee Dee

They make great lemoncello

Pan Ohco

Is lemoncello generally made from Meyer lemons? Or is it that Meyer lemons
just make better lemoncello?
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Imho the meyer lemons are less acidic, and make a better lemoncello

Pan Ohco

Old 11-11-2005, 08:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:48:46 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

I saw Tuesday for the first time in my life Meyer lemons. They were at Whole
Foods in Baltimore, MD. For non-organic, they were $2.99 a lb. and waxed.
I was tempted to buy a couple -- but I had no recipe nor idea what would be
the best use for them, so I passed them up. But they were cute!
Dee Dee

I will go to my vegetable store just to buy Meyer lemons. I avoid the
regular (Persian) ones as much as possible.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:50:50 -0800, Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
Denny Wheeler wrote:

What is a Meyer lemon?

(and is it sold at Fred Meyer's?)

--

http://tinyurl.com/8vb6h

Meyer Lemon Zest Nonny Barbecue 7 18-07-2009 06:49 PM
REC: Russ Meyer Lemon Chicken Gregory Morrow[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-04-2008 04:20 AM
Meyer Lemon & Tequila 8-) koko General Cooking 3 31-12-2007 08:28 AM
Poached Salmon with Lemon Crisps and Meyer Lemon Cream becky Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 03:42 AM
Preserved Meyer Lemon Question rmg General Cooking 13 04-05-2005 05:13 AM