Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

Default Sabatier knives - what's the opinion on their quality or lack of?

Just as the subject - saw some (Corolla range I believe) that were supposed
to be a 'good price' and was curious.

TIA and cheers folks!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-11-09, Shaun aRe > wrote:
> Just as the subject - saw some (Corolla range I believe) that were supposed
> to be a 'good price' and was curious.

As I understand it, all knives but the Provence, Grand Chef, and Au
Carbone lines are lesser quality non-forged knives outsourced to
companies outside France.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Shaun aRe wrote:

> Just as the subject - saw some (Corolla range I believe) that were supposed
> to be a 'good price' and was curious.
>
> TIA and cheers folks!
>
> Shaun aRe

Only have the older Sabatier knives, made in France. Apparently some of
the more recent models are rubbish and aren't made in France by
Sabatier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charles Gifford

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Shaun aRe wrote:
> >
> > Just as the subject - saw some (Corolla range I believe) that were

supposed
> > to be a 'good price' and was curious.
> >
> > TIA and cheers folks!
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Only have the older Sabatier knives, made in France. Apparently some of
> the more recent models are rubbish and aren't made in France by
> Sabatier.

I may be wrong, but I have always understood that there is no one Sabatier.
Rather it is a consortium of several manufacturers who contribute to the
Sabatier name. The trick used to be to identify the logo stamped on the
knife along with the name Sabatier. Nowadays, it doesn't seem to matter as
they are all made where they can be made the cheapest. I had an Elephant
logo Sabatier that was excellent and French made. I have a bunch of Lion
logo Sabatier that are made in China. I would not have purchased them if the
"made in China" part was obvious....it is in very small engraving.

Charlie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
barry in indy

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
k.net...

> I may be wrong, but I have always understood that there is no
> one Sabatier.
> Rather it is a consortium of several manufacturers who
> contribute to the
> Sabatier name. The trick used to be to identify the logo
> stamped on the
> knife along with the name Sabatier. Nowadays, it doesn't seem
> to matter as
> they are all made where they can be made the cheapest. I had an
> Elephant
> logo Sabatier that was excellent and French made. I have a
> bunch of Lion
> logo Sabatier that are made in China. I would not have
> purchased them if the
> "made in China" part was obvious....it is in very small
> engraving.

I use a few Sabatier knives marked "Chefstar" with a five-pointed
star next to it. On the other side of the blade, the "China" is
obvious. As for the logo, on the blade and on the end of the
tang, it looks like a floating ghost or an animated carrot!

The knives were inexpensive, have plastic handles, decent
balance, and hold an edge. But they are carbon steel, and will
rust if they are not washed and dried immediately after use. I've
had them for several years, and no rust at all. No comparison to
my Henckels Professional "S" santoku.

--
barry in indy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Shaun aRe wrote:
> > >
> > > Just as the subject - saw some (Corolla range I believe) that were

> supposed
> > > to be a 'good price' and was curious.
> > >
> > > TIA and cheers folks!
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe

> > Only have the older Sabatier knives, made in France. Apparently some of
> > the more recent models are rubbish and aren't made in France by
> > Sabatier.

> I may be wrong, but I have always understood that there is no one Sabatier.
> Rather it is a consortium of several manufacturers who contribute to the
> Sabatier name. The trick used to be to identify the logo stamped on the
> knife along with the name Sabatier. Nowadays, it doesn't seem to matter as
> they are all made where they can be made the cheapest. I had an Elephant
> logo Sabatier that was excellent and French made. I have a bunch of Lion
> logo Sabatier that are made in China. I would not have purchased them if the
> "made in China" part was obvious....it is in very small engraving.
>
> Charlie

That's probably true now. When the knives were given to me as a school
graduation pressie, only one French company was making Sabatier knives
in France.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> Just as the subject - saw some (Corolla range I believe) that were

supposed
> to be a 'good price' and was curious.
>

> TIA and cheers folks!

Thanks for the replies folks. ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

GREAT MERCHANDISE FROM TRUSTED MANUFACTURERS( ACTAVIS, ROCHE, ASTRA , ZENECA, NOVARTIS , PFIZER, ABBOT LAB & MORE) TOP QUALITY REGULAR SUPPLIES OF QUALITY PHARMACEUTICAL MEDICATIONS AND OTHER DRUGS AT VERY AFFORDABLE PRICES. WE DO OFFER DISCRETE Dr. Jethro General Cooking 0 14-11-2016 10:22 AM
GREAT MERCHANDISE FROM TRUSTED MANUFACTURERS( ACTAVIS, ROCHE, ASTRA , ZENECA, NOVARTIS , PFIZER, ABBOT LAB & MORE) TOP QUALITY REGULAR SUPPLIES OF QUALITY PHARMACEUTICAL MEDICATIONS AND OTHER DRUGS AT VERY AFFORDABLE PRICES. WE DO OFFER DISCRETE Dr. Jethro Marketplace 0 14-11-2016 10:22 AM
Old K Sabatier grape logo knife Will T Cooking Equipment 0 24-06-2004 02:46 AM
Sabatier Steak Knives orangetrader Cooking Equipment 4 11-05-2004 04:32 AM
Sabatier Pot Lid gets water trapped under handle, any solutions? Christopher Feeny General Cooking 3 18-11-2003 08:29 PM