orangetrader

Default Sabatier Steak Knives

I bought two steak knives at a department store about two years ago. I
don't remember which one - could be Burdines or Macy's - can't find the
receipt anymore.

They are Sabatier Commericial Cuisine steak knives, high carbon steel, made
in France. They were I think priced at $40 each and I got it at an open
stock clearance, paid about $40 total.

The knife plastic handles are now badly badly faded, and many rust spots
developed along the blade to the point I don't used them anymore. I have
Henckels knives that are more than twice their age and no rust spot, plus I
used and washed my Henckels a lot more (steak knives aren't used all the
time).

Are they defective or just an inferior brand? If I remember correctly those
have life time warranties, but I can't find a USA contact number to see
about getting these replaced (or is it even worth it?)

Any comments appreciated.

Peter Aitken

"orangetrader" > wrote in message
> I bought two steak knives at a department store about two years ago. I
> don't remember which one - could be Burdines or Macy's - can't find the
> receipt anymore.
>
> They are Sabatier Commericial Cuisine steak knives, high carbon steel,

made
> in France. They were I think priced at $40 each and I got it at an open
> stock clearance, paid about $40 total.
>
> The knife plastic handles are now badly badly faded, and many rust spots
> developed along the blade to the point I don't used them anymore. I have
> Henckels knives that are more than twice their age and no rust spot, plus

> used and washed my Henckels a lot more (steak knives aren't used all the
> time).
>
> Are they defective or just an inferior brand? If I remember correctly

those
> have life time warranties, but I can't find a USA contact number to see
> about getting these replaced (or is it even worth it?)
>
> Any comments appreciated.

If they are really carbon steel they will rust - not a flaw, just the nature
of the metal. For many years all good knives were made this way until they
developed the stainless carbon steel that is used in most high quality
knives today. The older carbon steel is a bit softer and some people claim
is easier to sharpen and takes a better edge. But, it does rust. To avoid
you must wash soon after use and dry right away.

--
Peter Aitken

Kate Dicey

orangetrader wrote:

> I bought two steak knives at a department store about two years ago. I
> don't remember which one - could be Burdines or Macy's - can't find the
> receipt anymore.
>
> They are Sabatier Commericial Cuisine steak knives, high carbon steel, made
> in France. They were I think priced at $40 each and I got it at an open
> stock clearance, paid about $40 total.
>
> The knife plastic handles are now badly badly faded, and many rust spots
> developed along the blade to the point I don't used them anymore. I have
> Henckels knives that are more than twice their age and no rust spot, plus I
> used and washed my Henckels a lot more (steak knives aren't used all the
> time).
>
> Are they defective or just an inferior brand? If I remember correctly those
> have life time warranties, but I can't find a USA contact number to see
> about getting these replaced (or is it even worth it?)
>
> Any comments appreciated.

Nothing inferior about them. I have owned a set of high carbon steel
cooks knives by Sabatier for over 20 years. They WILL rust if you let
them rest damp, as they are NOT stainless steel. Just clean the rust
off, sharpen and polish them, and if you are not using them frequently,
give them a light coating of mineral oil. If the handles have faded,
this may have been the result of dishwashing, or leaving them out in the
light. Try giving them a coat of the same kind of plastic restorer as
used on car dashboards.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
orangetrader

OK thanks.

So Henckels 4 stars are stainless carbon steel and that is why they don't
rust? They perform fine just thought it was unusual.

I won't worry about it then.

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> "orangetrader" > wrote in message
> > I bought two steak knives at a department store about two years ago. I
> > don't remember which one - could be Burdines or Macy's - can't find the
> > receipt anymore.
> >
> > They are Sabatier Commericial Cuisine steak knives, high carbon steel,

> made
> > in France. They were I think priced at $40 each and I got it at an open
> > stock clearance, paid about $40 total.
> >
> > The knife plastic handles are now badly badly faded, and many rust spots
> > developed along the blade to the point I don't used them anymore. I

have
> > Henckels knives that are more than twice their age and no rust spot,

plus
> > used and washed my Henckels a lot more (steak knives aren't used all the
> > time).
> >
> > Are they defective or just an inferior brand? If I remember correctly

> those
> > have life time warranties, but I can't find a USA contact number to see
> > about getting these replaced (or is it even worth it?)
> >
> > Any comments appreciated.

> If they are really carbon steel they will rust - not a flaw, just the

nature
> of the metal. For many years all good knives were made this way until they
> developed the stainless carbon steel that is used in most high quality
> knives today. The older carbon steel is a bit softer and some people claim
> is easier to sharpen and takes a better edge. But, it does rust. To avoid
> you must wash soon after use and dry right away.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

orangetrader

Thanks,