Posted to rec.food.cooking
kalanamak

Default Crepes

Curly Sue wrote:

> This may be my next "thing," now that ice cream season is gone.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

a smear of melted very dark chocolate and some fine-chopped nuts. A
swath of sour cream over it if you want to paint the lilly.

minced mushrooms simmered in a bit of wine and browned butter, bound
with a little flour and beef stock, drizzled with truffle oil

A rich cream sauce with diced artichoke hearts, green peas and cubes of
ham. Alternately use asparagus tips for the artichoke hearts.

Those were the biggest sellers at a crepe place I used to make thousands
of crepes at.
blacksalt

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

A new crepe place opened up nearby. And this weekend on Sugar Rush,
the host visited a place that is famous for its stacked crepe cake.
I couldn't ignore an obvious double omen, so I dug out my ol' crepe
pans and fired them up. For myself, I filled one with some of the
beef and gravy I made yesterday and I also made a
strawberry-yogurt-whipped cream one for the college student.

This may be my next "thing," now that ice cream season is gone.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 07 Nov 2005 07:15:09p, Curly Sue wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> A new crepe place opened up nearby. And this weekend on Sugar Rush,
> the host visited a place that is famous for its stacked crepe cake.
> I couldn't ignore an obvious double omen, so I dug out my ol' crepe
> pans and fired them up. For myself, I filled one with some of the
> beef and gravy I made yesterday and I also made a
> strawberry-yogurt-whipped cream one for the college student.
>
> This may be my next "thing," now that ice cream season is gone.

I love crepes. I loved the crepe craze of the 70s. It's been way too long
since I've had them or made them. One of my favorites was a filling of
asparagus spears and enoki mushrooms, the finished crepes dressed with a
slightly garlicky hollandaise sauce.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Vilco

Mi e' parso che Curly Sue abbia scritto:

You remind me of a pinch of history I learned the last week: the
"crepes", "crespelle" in italian, are worldwide famous as a
french recipe, and also lots of people here in Italy believe the
crepes come from France. As usual, the thruth is somewhere else:
they have very probably been "invented" during the 5th century
when a Pope (a black pope, I didn't even know we had one) ordered
a confiscation of eggs and flour to feed the pilgrims, who were
coming to Rome for a religiuos festival. The cooked product had
an uneven surface, so they got called "crispum" (irregular,
uneven).
Then, the recipe spreaded to the rest of Italy, and it's only
after the 15th century that it crossed the Alps.

That said, this evening I'm definitely gonna make some "crispum
*** botulinus et formaticus" (sausage and cheese crepes)
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Denny wrote:

> ice cream season is never gone. (even when it's cold out, ice cream's
> still good)

I'll second that! I'll be making butter pecan ice cream to accompany my
Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Curly Sue wrote:
> A new crepe place opened up nearby. And this weekend on Sugar Rush,
> the host visited a place that is famous for its stacked crepe cake.
> I couldn't ignore an obvious double omen, so I dug out my ol' crepe
> pans and fired them up. For myself, I filled one with some of the
> beef and gravy I made yesterday and I also made a
> strawberry-yogurt-whipped cream one for the college student.
>
> This may be my next "thing," now that ice cream season is gone.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I've never seen a "crepe place" but we do still have a fondue restaurant not
far away

My favourite crepes are made with a chicken & mushroom filling with a creamy
wine sauce. Don't have the recipe handy but I can tell you I originally
bought them from frozen, might have been Sara Lee or something similar, and
decided to try to re-create them. More sauce on the top of the crepes.
Delicious!

Jill

Crepes Gayle Hodur[_2_] General Cooking 18 22-03-2012 03:17 PM
Crepes? Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 11 05-03-2012 01:27 PM
Crepes Georgette Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 09:51 PM
Got Crepes? Martha General Cooking 7 05-06-2005 05:40 PM
Crepes for One Mabry General Cooking 13 05-01-2004 12:50 PM