Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Crepes?

I had some friends over for dinner Sunday night, and I was trying to
think of a super duper dessert for us to have after our turkey pilaf and
salad. After "make your own trifle" bit the dust (I couldn't get up the
energy to bake a yellow cake *and* make a fruit sauce *and* make custard
sauce), I was inspired by someone's reference online to crepes for
Shrove Tuesday.

I hadn't made crepes for probably 30 years, but I pulled a very simple
recipe off the web, used my grandmother's cast iron griddle, and
produced some fabulous crepes. My guests each had two, while I
satisfied myself with one. I cleaned out the freezer of some very old
frozen fruit, making three bowls of sweetened thickened cooked fruit:
blueberry, raspberry, and peach. I also sweetened up some ricotta and
thinned it a bit with cream. I used a lot of ricotta and a bit of
blueberry in my crepe, while my guests threw caution to the winds and
made some lovely goopy concoctions.

I've been craving crepes ever since and have been trying to come with
ways to make them less carby so I might enjoy them from time to time as
part of my normal eating. Certainly sweetening ricotta with sugar
substitute and not sweetening the berries would help the filling side of
it. But for the crepes themselves?

Here are the ingredients in the crepe batter that made six good-sized
crepes:

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup flour

The problem, of course, is the flour, although I can also make it 1/4
cup heavy cream and 3/4 cup water instead of the 1/2 and 1/2.

My thought is that almond meal would be too heavy to use in the place of
the flour, and my intuition says that trying to grind it farther would
result in almond paste. I could add another egg and make it a cross
between an omelet and a crepe, but I'd rather keep something closer to
crepe texture.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
[...]

: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm
Sounds lovely. My oly question is now that Shrove tuesday or Pancke day
has passed, do you have to wait until Easter to try them again:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:

> My thought is that almond meal would be too heavy to use in the place of
> the flour, and my intuition says that trying to grind it farther would
> result in almond paste. I could add another egg and make it a cross
> between an omelet and a crepe, but I'd rather keep something closer to
> crepe texture.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

The French make "galettes" of various kinds - some are just crepes made with
buckwheat flour instead of white flour. Would whole grain flour help?

We had "galettes Norvégiennes" - the filling was a slice of smoked salmon.
Yum! ("Omelette Norvégienne" is Baked Alaska to you USians)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie wrote:
>

> > My thought is that almond meal would be too heavy to use in the place of
> > the flour, and my intuition says that trying to grind it farther would
> > result in almond paste. I could add another egg and make it a cross
> > between an omelet and a crepe, but I'd rather keep something closer to
> > crepe texture.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?

> The French make "galettes" of various kinds - some are just crepes made with
> buckwheat flour instead of white flour. Would whole grain flour help?
>
> We had "galettes Norvégiennes" - the filling was a slice of smoked salmon.
> Yum! ("Omelette Norvégienne" is Baked Alaska to you USians)

Sounds yummy, but whole grain or white, it's still flour and spikey.

Thanks, though!

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Have you ever had Passover egg noodles? Quite awful, but kind of lie
> omelettes with a little potato starch in the egg, rooled and cut.
>
> One of those things i do without at the holiday(as well as the rest of the
> year:-)
>
> Wendy

Hmmm.. Wouldn't potato starch be as carby as flour? But, come to think
of it, I can handle potatoes better than many other major carb sources.

Good idea! Worth a try at least.

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Sounds lovely. My oly question is now that Shrove tuesday or Pancke day
> has passed, do you have to wait until Easter to try them again:-)

Heh! No, because I don't follow those rules or traditions any more. I
was inspired by someone else talking about crepes for Shrove Tuesday. I
wasn't making Sunday into Shrove Tuesday. :-)

That reminds me, though. Oh, dear! Hot cross buns have become a
personal tradition in terms of permitted unhealthy eating. I'm trying
to get back on the stick in anticipation of breaking in a new endo in
early March, but... but... Entenmann's hot cross buns are the absolute
BEST! And they may have them in the local store now. Aaarrgghh!!!
Those angels on each shoulder seem to be wearing spike heels. No fair.
*sigh*

Priscilla, conflicted
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

[...]

:

Ah Priscila, Are those Entenmenn's hot cross buns kosher dairry or parev
to mix a metapho-)

Wendy
-
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> I wonder if you take a look at Josephs or some other brand of low carb
> tortilla, then adapt to your needs, if that would work?

Do you mean check out their ingredients or use them as crepes?

To the former I say, "good idea." To the latter, "I don't think so."

Thanks for whichever. ;-)

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Ah Priscila, Are those Entenmenn's hot cross buns kosher dairry or parev
: > to mix a metapho-)
: >
: > Wendy
: > -

: I'm not sure. If I give in, I'll read the box carefully.

: Oh, wait....

: I can't seem to find that info he
: http://www.entenmanns.com/op-prod.cfm/prodId/7203000198

: or he
: http://www.shopwell.com/entenmanns-h...astries/p/7203
: 000198

: However, a .pdf document at
: http://www.ou.org/pdf/symbol/Behind-Summer02.pdf says that Entenmann's
: products are certified kosher by the Orthodox Union.

: I didn't realize!

: And they have whey in them, so kosher dairy is the answer. :-)

: Priscilla
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

Thanks you! Very important, especially for hot cross buns. Now I have to
contend with Hamantaschen for Purim. Why do so many holidays have all
these sweets !!! even Lent for you guys and Rosh hashana for my guys.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> how do you spike with rice, because rice flour might work and you also might
> be able to use less for the same effect, Lee

Rice is probably the worst. Thanks, though.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am sorry to hear that, good luck anyway, Lee
"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> how do you spike with rice, because rice flour might work and you also
>> might
>> be able to use less for the same effect, Lee

> Rice is probably the worst. Thanks, though.
>
> PP

Member

Its truly very incredible and too great and massive working i ever found
i enjoy this nice and superb sharing

sleep number m7 bed l sleep number m7 bed l sleep number i10 bed

Last edited by manuelaa12 : 05-03-2012 at 01:29 PM

Crepes Gayle Hodur[_2_] General Cooking 18 22-03-2012 03:17 PM
Crepes Georgette Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 09:51 PM
Crepes kalanamak General Cooking 6 08-11-2005 09:21 PM
Got Crepes? Martha General Cooking 7 05-06-2005 05:40 PM
Crepes for One Mabry General Cooking 13 05-01-2004 12:50 PM