Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Knecht

Default Looking for high-fiber meal ideas

I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
very tired of after several years):

Campbells (or clone) Bean & Bacon soup and other such canned soups with
beans or other high-fiber vegetables

15-bean soup
Pork shanks and northern beans
Chili with kidney beans
Liver and lima beans (family recipe)
Baked beans and hot dogs or other sausage
Bean burritos
Stewed lentils and Polish sausage
Red beans and rice

I found a recipe for bean patties in an old Joy of Cooking - tasted great
the first time I made them, then I tried them twice more and didn't like
them. Odd.

I substitute brown for white rice where I can and usually have raisin
bran for breakfast.

I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm not
a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or more
books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet seen
anything that looked good.

Suggestions please?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Ken Knecht > wrote:

> I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
> very tired of after several years):
>
> Campbells (or clone) Bean & Bacon soup and other such canned soups with
> beans or other high-fiber vegetables
>
> 15-bean soup
> Pork shanks and northern beans
> Chili with kidney beans
> Liver and lima beans (family recipe)
> Baked beans and hot dogs or other sausage
> Bean burritos
> Stewed lentils and Polish sausage
> Red beans and rice
>
> I found a recipe for bean patties in an old Joy of Cooking - tasted great
> the first time I made them, then I tried them twice more and didn't like
> them. Odd.
>
> I substitute brown for white rice where I can and usually have raisin
> bran for breakfast.
>
> I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm not
> a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or more
> books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet seen
> anything that looked good.
>
> Suggestions please?
>
> TIA

Just eat steamed VEGGIES!!!
Beans are ok, but they are NOT the best source of fiber!

Spinach, brocolli, carrots, onions, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, bok
choy, swiss chard, lettuce (all varieties), endive, corn on the cob,
apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums (and dried plums, aka prunes),
summer and winter sqaush, peppers (all varieties), okra.... I could go
on but you get the idea. The produce section is your friend!

I would NEVER rely on grains and legumes as my only fiber sources! How
boring, no offense. ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
axlq

In article >,
Ken Knecht > wrote:
>I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas.

Sorry, the subject line reminded me of a scene in the novel Catch-22
where Milo tries to sell chocolate-covered cotton balls to his
comrades. That's about as high fiber as you can get!

Seriously, just have more fresh vegetables in your meals, and you'll
get plenty of fiber. I also get all the fiber I need each day by
drinking, upon rising from bed each morning, a cocktail made from 8
oz of 1:3 diluted unsweetened cranberry juice with 1 tablespoon of
psyllium husk powder.

-A
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Ken Knecht wrote on 06 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
> very tired of after several years):
>
> Campbells (or clone) Bean & Bacon soup and other such canned soups
> with beans or other high-fiber vegetables
>
> 15-bean soup
> Pork shanks and northern beans
> Chili with kidney beans
> Liver and lima beans (family recipe)
> Baked beans and hot dogs or other sausage
> Bean burritos
> Stewed lentils and Polish sausage
> Red beans and rice
>
> I found a recipe for bean patties in an old Joy of Cooking - tasted
> great the first time I made them, then I tried them twice more and
> didn't like them. Odd.
>
> I substitute brown for white rice where I can and usually have raisin
> bran for breakfast.
>
> I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm
> not a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or
> more books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet
> seen anything that looked good.
>
> Suggestions please?
>
> TIA

Black Soy beans...have more fiber than most other beans...try substituting
them for other beans in your recipes. Raw veggies such as in salads are a
foods for fiber. Oatmeal used in your cooking...say a bran muffin with
oatmeal also in it or flax seeds sprinkled on stuff.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
> very tired of after several years):
>
> Campbells (or clone) Bean & Bacon soup and other such canned soups with
> beans or other high-fiber vegetables
>
> 15-bean soup
> Pork shanks and northern beans
> Chili with kidney beans
> Liver and lima beans (family recipe)
> Baked beans and hot dogs or other sausage
> Bean burritos
> Stewed lentils and Polish sausage
> Red beans and rice
>
> I found a recipe for bean patties in an old Joy of Cooking - tasted great
> the first time I made them, then I tried them twice more and didn't like
> them. Odd.
>
> I substitute brown for white rice where I can and usually have raisin
> bran for breakfast.
>
> I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm not
> a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or more
> books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet seen
> anything that looked good.
>
> Suggestions please?
>
> TIA

Any vegetarian diet will be high fibre. You seem to be eating a lot of
beans and few other vegetables. There's a world of photosynthesing
things to eat out there. Even just a lettuce salad every day will help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Ken Knecht wrote:
> I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
> very tired of after several years):
>
> Campbells (or clone) Bean & Bacon soup and other such canned soups with
> beans or other high-fiber vegetables
>
> 15-bean soup
> Pork shanks and northern beans
> Chili with kidney beans
> Liver and lima beans (family recipe)
> Baked beans and hot dogs or other sausage
> Bean burritos
> Stewed lentils and Polish sausage
> Red beans and rice
>
> I found a recipe for bean patties in an old Joy of Cooking - tasted great
> the first time I made them, then I tried them twice more and didn't like
> them. Odd.
>
> I substitute brown for white rice where I can and usually have raisin
> bran for breakfast.
>
> I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm not
> a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or more
> books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet seen
> anything that looked good.
>
> Suggestions please?
>
> TIA

Beans, pulses in general etc work . So does going whole wheat with
everything (rice, bread,. pasta, cereal), And unpeeled potatoes help,
too. pumpkin skin - afaik, not all squash necessarily needs to be
peeled. Things from the onion family might help, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message

> I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas.

I know of one that is doubly satisfying - a meal that one eats, that will
satisfy two - carpet munching.

(She'll love you for it.)

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Ken Knecht > wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
> > very tired of after several years):
> >
> > Campbells (or clone) Bean & Bacon soup and other such canned soups with
> > beans or other high-fiber vegetables
> >
> > 15-bean soup
> > Pork shanks and northern beans
> > Chili with kidney beans
> > Liver and lima beans (family recipe)
> > Baked beans and hot dogs or other sausage
> > Bean burritos
> > Stewed lentils and Polish sausage
> > Red beans and rice
> >
> > I found a recipe for bean patties in an old Joy of Cooking - tasted great
> > the first time I made them, then I tried them twice more and didn't like
> > them. Odd.
> >
> > I substitute brown for white rice where I can and usually have raisin
> > bran for breakfast.
> >
> > I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm not
> > a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or more
> > books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet seen
> > anything that looked good.
> >
> > Suggestions please?
> >
> > TIA

> Just eat steamed VEGGIES!!!
> Beans are ok, but they are NOT the best source of fiber!
>
> Spinach, brocolli, carrots, onions, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, bok
> choy, swiss chard, lettuce (all varieties), endive, corn on the cob,
> apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums (and dried plums, aka prunes),
> summer and winter sqaush, peppers (all varieties), okra.... I could go
> on but you get the idea. The produce section is your friend!
>
> I would NEVER rely on grains and legumes as my only fiber sources! How
> boring

One of the best fiber sources is fresh berries... also high in
antioxidants and many other nutrients (vitamins/minerals), and low
caloric and no fat.... and they totally remove the guilt associated
with eating ice cream, chocolate sauce, candied nuts, and whipped cream
concoctions. hehe

The most nutritious berry is buckwheat.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> Ken Knecht > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
>>>very tired of after several years):

There's another possible way to deal with this issue. Eat whatever you
like and take fiber supplements. There are lots to choose from. If every
meal has to have a high fiber content, take a reduced level (1/3 if
three meals) from the normal entire daily amount of supplements with
each meal.

>>>Campbells (or clone) Bean & Bacon soup and other such canned soups with
>>>beans or other high-fiber vegetables
>>>
>>>15-bean soup
>>>Pork shanks and northern beans
>>>Chili with kidney beans
>>>Liver and lima beans (family recipe)
>>>Baked beans and hot dogs or other sausage
>>>Bean burritos
>>>Stewed lentils and Polish sausage
>>>Red beans and rice
>>>
>>>I found a recipe for bean patties in an old Joy of Cooking - tasted great
>>>the first time I made them, then I tried them twice more and didn't like
>>>them. Odd.
>>>
>>>I substitute brown for white rice where I can and usually have raisin
>>>bran for breakfast.
>>>
>>>I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm not
>>>a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or more
>>>books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet seen
>>>anything that looked good.
>>>
>>>Suggestions please?
>>>
>>>TIA

>>Just eat steamed VEGGIES!!!
>>Beans are ok, but they are NOT the best source of fiber!
>>
>>Spinach, brocolli, carrots, onions, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, bok
>>choy, swiss chard, lettuce (all varieties), endive, corn on the cob,
>>apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums (and dried plums, aka prunes),
>>summer and winter sqaush, peppers (all varieties), okra.... I could go
>>on but you get the idea. The produce section is your friend!

All portions are for one cup, weights are for that cup, except as noted

Spinach - 180 gm - 4 gm fiber
Broccoli - 156 gm - 4 gm fiber
Carrots - 156 gm - 4 gm fiber
Onion - 210 gm - 2 gm fiber
Cauliflower - 124 gm - 3 gm fiber

Peanut - (1 ounce) 28 gm - 3 gm fiber
Peas - 160 gm - 8 gm fiber
Dried split peas - 196 gm - 10 gm fiber

Apple (1 medium) 138 gm - 3 gm fiber
Peach (1 medium, peeled) 87 gm - 2 gm fiber
Pear - (1 medium) 166 gm - 5 gm fiber
Plum - (i medium) 66 gm - 1 gm fiber
Prune - (5 dried, unpitted) 42 gm - 3 gm fiber

>>I would NEVER rely on grains and legumes as my only fiber sources! How
>>boring

> One of the best fiber sources is fresh berries... also high in
> antioxidants and many other nutrients (vitamins/minerals), and low
> caloric and no fat.... and they totally remove the guilt associated
> with eating ice cream, chocolate sauce, candied nuts, and whipped cream
> concoctions. hehe

For 1 cup portions
Blackberries - 165 gm - 7 gm fiber
Blueberries - 145 gm - 3 gm fiber
Strawberries - 166 gm - 4 gm fiber

Black beans - 172 gm - 10 gm fiber
Lima beans - 188 gm - 14 gm fiber
Pinto beans - 171 gm - 20 gm fiber
Red kidney beans - 177 gm - 15 gm fiber

> The most nutritious berry is buckwheat.

Buckwheat isn't a botanical berry. Berries are technically fruit that
contain seeds.

"In common parlance and cuisine, the term "berry" refers generically to
any small, sweet fruit; in this sense, the strawberry is a berry and the
tomato is not. Other berries in this but not the botanical sense include
aggregate fruits like the blackberry, raspberry, and boysenberry, as
well as the false berries such as blueberry, cranberry, and gooseberry
and its currant relatives (e.g. blackcurrant, redcurrant).

These fruits tend to be small, sweet, juicy, and of a bright color
contrasting with their background to make them more attractive to
animals that disperse them and thus scatter the seeds of the plant."
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry>

Calling the seeds of grasses and herbs "berries" is a new convention.
The name was created to minimize confusion (and help with the
marketing). In the past - like 50 years ago - unground wheat grains were
called "whole wheat." To contrast with "wheat flour" after milling.
Buckwheat "berries" are just the seeds and used in the same way.

Buckwheat "berries" -(1 cup cooked kasha) 198 gm - 5 gm fiber
Buckwheat flour - 98 gm - 8 gm fiber
Bulgur - 182 gm - 8 gm fiber
Whole wheat "berries" - 150 gm - 3 gm fiber

The numbers from "The Nutrition Bible" by Anderson and Deskins.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> [...]

> These fruits tend to be small, sweet, juicy, and of a bright color
> contrasting with their background to make them more attractive to
> animals that disperse them and thus scatter the seeds of the plant."
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry>
>
> Calling the seeds of grasses and herbs "berries" is a new convention.
> The name was created to minimize confusion (and help with the
> marketing). In the past - like 50 years ago - unground wheat grains were
> called "whole wheat." To contrast with "wheat flour" after milling.
> Buckwheat "berries" are just the seeds and used in the same way.
>
> Buckwheat "berries" -(1 cup cooked kasha) 198 gm - 5 gm fiber
> Buckwheat flour - 98 gm - 8 gm fiber
> Bulgur - 182 gm - 8 gm fiber
> Whole wheat "berries" - 150 gm - 3 gm fiber
>
> The numbers from "The Nutrition Bible" by Anderson and Deskins.

I'd still rather eat a bowl of spinach than a bowl of beans. ;-)

Fewer carbs.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I'm looking for high-fiber meal ideas. I already make (and am getting
> very tired of after several years):

<snip>
> I prefer stuff you've tried and liked, not just untried recipes. I'm not
> a very good cook so prefer simple recipes. I have a half-dozen or more
> books on high-fiber recipes (most international) but haven't yet seen
> anything that looked good.
>
> Suggestions please?

These are my standard high-fiber meals (I don't eat them specifically to
add fiber, but in looking over my standards, here's what we have a lot).
If anything looks interesting, I can post the recipes or links to them.

Hummus and whole-wheat pita or tortillas (I love wraps with hummus,
tomatoes, onions, and sprouts)

Italian white bean soup

Wheatberry salad

Black bean soft tacos