Carol \Damsel\ Peterson

Default REC - Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Can be made a day ahead of time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : nuts side dishes
vegetables

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
8
minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while
still hot
with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made
1 day
ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a microwave.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"November 1995"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bob Terwilliger

Carol wrote:

> Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon
>
> Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
> Categories : nuts side dishes
> vegetables

> 1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
> 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
> 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
> 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine
>
> In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
> 8 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while
> still hot with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may
> be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a
> microwave.
>
> Source:
> "http://www.epicurious.com/"
> Copyright:
> "November 1995"

I plan on making this for Thanksgiving, though I'll be using butter instead
of olive oil.

Bob

Carol Peterson

These beans kick ass. We have made a tradition of making them every
Thanksgiving. Butter sounds good!

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Carol wrote:
>
> > Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon
> >
> > Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
> > Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
> > Categories : nuts side dishes
> > vegetables
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
> > 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
> > 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
> > 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine
> >
> > In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
> > 8 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while
> > still hot with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may
> > be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a
> > microwave.
> >
> > Source:
> > "http://www.epicurious.com/"
> > Copyright:
> > "November 1995"

> I plan on making this for Thanksgiving, though I'll be using butter instead
> of olive oil.
>
> Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 24 Oct 2005 06:30:02p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Carol wrote:
>
>> Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon
>>
>> Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
>> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
>> Categories : nuts side dishes vegetables
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
>> 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
>> 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine
>>
>> In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
>> 8 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while
>> still hot with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may
>> be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a
>> microwave.
>>
>> Source:
>> "http://www.epicurious.com/"
>> Copyright:
>> "November 1995"

> I plan on making this for Thanksgiving, though I'll be using butter

instead
> of olive oil.
>
> Bob

I would probably not chop the hazelnuts that fine. I prefer nuts to be
more recognizable.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Bob Terwilliger

>>> "http://www.epicurious.com/"
>>> Copyright:
>>> "November 1995"

>> I plan on making this for Thanksgiving, though I'll be using butter

> instead of olive oil.
>>

> I would probably not chop the hazelnuts that fine. I prefer nuts to be
> more recognizable.

I've tried it with halved hazelnuts, and it *was* good. But the
finely-chopped nuts kind of coat the beans and spread the flavor evenly,
which is why I prefer the dish prepared that way. (Besides, it's a little
tricky to eat with a fork if the nut pieces are too big.)

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 24 Oct 2005 07:25:01p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne wrote:

>>> I plan on making this for Thanksgiving, though I'll be using butter
>>> instead of olive oil.
>>>

>> I would probably not chop the hazelnuts that fine. I prefer nuts to be
>> more recognizable.

> I've tried it with halved hazelnuts, and it *was* good. But the
> finely-chopped nuts kind of coat the beans and spread the flavor evenly,
> which is why I prefer the dish prepared that way. (Besides, it's a
> little tricky to eat with a fork if the nut pieces are too big.)
>
> Bob

Understood, and I see you point. I wasn't thinking of pieces as big as
half a nut, but chopped more coarsely, perhaps ~1/4 inch pieces.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey