jw 1111

Default need to remove lentil scum.

hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
(especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).

with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with this
scum. need it be removed?

maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
thanks.

Gregory Morrow

jw 1111 wrote:

> hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
> (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
>
> with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
> because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with

this
> scum. need it be removed?
>
> maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?

Yeah, why not try learning about capitalization and punctuation? You come
off as *really* ignorant.

--
Best
Greg

Margaret Suran

jw 1111 wrote:
> hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
> (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
>
> with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
> because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with this
> scum. need it be removed?
>
> maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
> thanks.

Try washing the lentils and beans before you cook them. Some of the
impurities will be washed away.

I have a small metal sieve, with which I scoop away the scum that
always forms during cooking. As far as I know, you will not lose any
nutrients.
Dee Randall

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> jw 1111 wrote:
>> hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
>> (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
>>
>> with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
>> because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with
>> this scum. need it be removed?
>>
>> maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
>> thanks.

> Try washing the lentils and beans before you cook them. Some of the
> impurities will be washed away.
>
> I have a small metal sieve, with which I scoop away the scum that always
> forms during cooking. As far as I know, you will not lose any nutrients.

When I make lentils, the scum comes to the top, I scoop it away. THEN, I add
the tumeric; otherwise, I am diluting the amount of tumeric in my lentils.
The same concept would go for any powdered ingredient.
Dee Dee

Sheldon

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I forgot to mention that in my previous response.
> I also season after scumming.

Hehe, we really didn't need to know that much.

jw 1111

"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote in
message link.net...

> jw 1111 wrote:
>
>> hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the top
>> (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
>>
>> with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
>> because of their processing they have been through, but what to do with

> this
>> scum. need it be removed?
>>
>> maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?

> Yeah, why not try learning about capitalization and punctuation? You come
> off as *really* ignorant.
> > Greg

thank you. actually i am ignorant. but doing a google search on your
address and seeing the amount of time you spend on trivia i feel you might
qualify for a close second.

Sheldon

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "jw 1111" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
> > hi, when i boil beans and lentils i get lots of scum floating on the
> > top (especially with red split lentils i get masses of it).
> >
> > with frozen green beans and red split lentils i am sure they are clean
> > because of their processing they have been through, but what to do
> > with this scum. need it be removed?
> >
> > maybe there are even certain nutrients in it? any advice please?
> > thanks.

> Soak the beans beforehand and then rinse them in a collander. That will
> help a bit with any 'stuff' on the beans. I don't know how long to soak
> them, maybe an hour or 2 unless you're going to soak them overnight which I
> do sometimes. While cooking, just skim the scum off.

Lentils require less than an hour to cook, they should not be soaked,
if soaked they'll become mush when cooked. Lentils should not be
boiled, a very low simmer is sufficient. It's the boiling that
produces that scum, the harder the boil the greater the quantity of
scum. There's never a reason to boil any legumes, always lower the
heat to a low simmer just *before* coming to a boil.

Sheldon

Nazi scum alert nazi hunter General Cooking 8 12-06-2014 12:25 AM
Soda scum notbob General Cooking 8 16-09-2010 05:44 AM
Are you all scum? Tony General Cooking 84 28-02-2009 08:51 PM
Scum JonK Wine 5 11-11-2005 12:44 AM
Where's My Pickle Scum ? John Kiss Preserving 1 07-09-2005 05:50 AM