mook, what's a mook?

Default best pizzaria and fried chicken joint? and pepsi vs coke?

gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.

as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.

and coke kicks pepsi's ass

mook, what's a mook? wrote:
> gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
> pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>
> as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
> a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>
> and coke kicks pepsi's ass

And go White Castle as Harold & Kumar.

Dave Smith

"mook, what's a mook?" wrote:

> gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
> pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>
> as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
> a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>
> and coke kicks pepsi's ass

Best pizza and wings? Coke vs. Pepsi?
How could I dare to disagree with a connoisseur?

Syssi

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> "mook, what's a mook?" wrote:
>
>> gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
>> pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>>
>>snip<<

Yep - Gino's East ROCKS!!!

--
Syssi

mook, what's a mook? wrote:
> gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
> pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>
> as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
> a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>
> and coke kicks pepsi's ass

KFC used to have the best chicken on earth, but something happened to
them several years ago. Not sure what it is, but it's like they just
stopped trying. Supermarket fried chicken is better than KFC nowa days.
Is Pioneeer still around?

Best pizza? BJ's in Santa Ana. I usually get jalapeno, anchovi,
mushroom, and tomato. Don't laugh. I don't have to share it with my
roommies

And Shasta cola beats Coke and Pepsi hands down.

b.

Vilco

Mi e' parso che mook, what's a mook? abbia scritto:

> and coke kicks pepsi's ass

Also Maradona prefers coke
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Dee Randall

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> "mook, what's a mook?" wrote:
>
>> gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
>> pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>>
>> as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
>> a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>>
>> and coke kicks pepsi's ass

> Best pizza and wings? Coke vs. Pepsi?
> How could I dare to disagree with a connoisseur?

Coke & Pepsi -- vile stuff!
I learned a lesson early in life (about 5 years old). In the "Corner"
grocery store (in the sticks), the town was named "Corner" had about 5
houses and a Corner Grocery store, some men (probably lazy farmers) sat
around the stove all day jawing with the owner. One of the 'sitters'
up-and-died. Everyone from miles around said he died from drinking too much
Coke while he was sitting around the store.
"It's a possibility."
Dee Dee

Mark D

Don't know where you live, but I lived in Chicago basically all my life.
I thought Ginos East sucked! (And I had visited a few different Gino
franchises in the Chicagoland area over the years.)

And I also sampled thier thin crust (in St Charles, Ill), which was like
eating a Saltine Cracker with Sauce on it.
When thier pizzas take 10-15 minutes to make, from time of order, to
being on your table, something tells me, that something is already
pre-made, most likely the crust. Then they just top it, and pop it in
the oven.

If you're in Chicago, or visit Chicago, and you want the best Deep Dish
Pizza IMO, give Lou Malnati's a try. Pizzeria Uno, and Due, used to be
very good years ago (I'm talking 30 years) as they were pretty much the
originators of Chicago Deep Dish.

Nancy's in Chicago was pretty good years ago too. For Deep dish now, I
pretty much make my own, and it's very very good. Mark

Mark D

Of course tastes vary I might add, and now that I'm living down here in
Southern NM, people here think Domino's is the cat's meow. YUCK!

They wouldn't know a good Pizza down here if it fell from the sky, and
cracked them in the head.

Same with Mexican Food here. Taco Bell is actually better than 100% of
the Mexican restaurants in the area. The restaurants here either have
no idea what real mexican food is, or are too cheap to make it.

I suppose there's exceptions to the rule, but I'm not about to travel
1/2 way across the state to like Santa Fe, or El Paso, for a Carne
Asada, or a decent order of Tacos. Here again, I make my own. Mark

Where I am from Armands is the best pizza and Coke always wins.

JohnB

Best pizza? Make my own...

Best Pepsi or Coke? Yeuch to both. I prefer Dandelion and Burdock.

biig

"mook, what's a mook?" wrote:

> gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
> pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>
> as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
> a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>
> and coke kicks pepsi's ass

If you live near Orlando Florida, there is a place in St. Cloud that
makes the BEST fried chicken. Bonnie Lee's. Went there for years at
least once a week when we used to spend time down that way.....droool...
Sharon
Carol Garbo

Mark: Would you mind sharing your deep dish pizza recipe? Many thanks!
Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

JT

"mook, what's a mook?" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
> pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>
> as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
> a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>
> and coke kicks pepsi's ass

Pizza? I like Lou Malnati's in Chi-town and Lombardi's in NY.
Chicken is damn good at The Praline Connection in New Orleans.
....and if you think Coke is good try one that says "Heche en Mexico" on the
bottle.

Mark D

Where I am from Armands is the best pizza and Coke always wins.
======================================
Hylander, If you're speaking of Armands in Elmwood Park, Ill, then yes,
I'll go along with that. Armands always did make a very good thin crust
pizza. Thier Italian food isn't at all bad either, but 99% of the time,
I always ate pizza there. I've always been a sucker for a Stuffed
Artichoke too, and they used to serve these there also.

Generally, I'd order myself a Dozen Raw Clams, with Lemon/Tabasco on the
Side, a Large Sausage/Mushroom Pizza, and a Pitcher of Miller Low Life
to wash it all down! :-) Mmm Mmm Good!

Being Italian, I always did get my share of good eats from the family.
:-) Mark

Mark D

Pizza? I like Lou Malnati's in Chi-town and Lombardi's in NY. Chicken is
damn good at The Praline Connection in New Orleans. ...and if you think
Coke is good try one that says "Heche en Mexico" on the bottle.
======================================

I'll agree here also, the "Made in Mexico" Coke is the best IMO. Some
have said that they use Sucrose, instead of Fructose, like Coke
originally used to use.

They sell it here in town (NM), but it isn't cheap, never seen it cheap
in Chicago either, and the bottles always look like they've been
recycled about a 1000 times. Mark

Wayne Boatwright

In phoenix, one of the best places is Pizzeria Bianco, but we have a fair
number of very good pizza places. Out in Apache Junction where I live we
have a dive called Joe Jo's that serves an excellent thin crust pizza with
really great cheese at rock bottom prices. They even give you a dozen wings
with an order of a large pizza. Coca-Cola from Mexico is easy to get in the
area.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Mark D

Mark: Would you mind sharing your deep dish pizza recipe? Many thanks!
Carol
======================================Hi Carol,
Sure! Here it is.

Crust:
1 Cup Warm Water
1 Pkg Active Dry Yeast
3 1/2 Cups of Flour
1/2 Cup Ground Cornmeal
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

Filling:
1 Lb Mozzarella Cheese Sliced 1/8" Thick
1 Lb Italian Sausage Removed From Casing
2-28oz Cans Whole Tomatoes, Drained, Squeezed, and Crumbled
2 Large Garlic Cloves, Peeled, and Minced
3 Tsp Dry Oregano, and/or 5 fresh Basil Leaves Torn/Shedded
4 TBSP Freshly Grated Prmesan/Romano Cheese (Imported preferably)

Pour Warm Water into a Large micing Bowl, and dissolve Yeast with a
Fork.

Add 1 Cup of Flour, all of the Cornmeal, Salt, and Vegetable Oil. Mix
well with a Large Spoon.

Continue stirring in the remainder of the Flour 1/2 Cup at a time, until
the Dough comes away from the sides of the Bowl. (Water amount may vary
slightly, you might need a bit more Water/Flour to achieve the proper
consistency)

Flour your hands, and the Work Surface, and knead the Ball of Dough till
it is no longer sticky.
Let the Dough rise in an Oiled Bowl, sealed with Plastic Wrap for 45-60
minutes in a warm place until it has doubled in bulk.

Punch it down, and knead it briefly.

Press it into a lightly oiled 15" Deep Dish Pan (Or two smaller 10"
Pans) until it comes 2" up the sides, is even on the bottom of Pan. Let
the Dough rise 15 minutes before filling.

Preheat Oven to 500 Degrees:

While the Dough is rising, prepare the filling.
Cook the crumbled Sausage till it's no longer pink, drain of excess fat.

Drain, and Chop the Tomatoes.
When the Dough has finished its second rise, Lay one layer of the Sliced
Cheese over the bottom of the Dough Shell completely covering the bottom
of Shell, then distribute the crumbled Sausage evenly over the Cheese.
Sprinkle the Garlic (your call on how much you wish to use) Top with
the Crumbled Tomatoes, then lastly, sprinkle on the Seasonings (Oregano
and/or Basil) anf Parmesan/Romano Cheese

Bake at 500 Degrees for 10-12 Minutes, then lower Oven to 400 Degrees,
and Bake for another 25-35 Minutes.

Lift a Section of the Crust from time to time with a Spatula o check on
its color. The Crust will be a Golden Brown when done. Serve
immediately.

(Additonal tips)
Down here in NM, you can't get good Italian Homemade Sausage like you
can in the little Import Shops in Chicago, so I make my own simple
Sausage which is much better tasting than any commercial brands.

Per 1 lb of Coarse Ground/Chili Ground Pork, I use 1 tsp Whole Fennel
Seed, 1 Tsp Salt, and Pepper to taste. (Red Pepper Flakes are optional)

Also, make sure the Canned Tomatoes are drained/squeezed quite well.
Otherwise, you'll wind up with a Pizza with a Tomato topping that is a
little bit to watery.

Some Mushrooms may be also be added to the top of the Tomatoes before
baking.

I always also use the 1 lb balls of Mozzarella Cheese and slice, and
never use Kraft or any other pre-grated commercial Cheeses on any of my
pizzas.
Although not cheap, typically about $4 a lb, it makes a huge difference.

I've also found Wal-Mart sells nice little 10"-12" Deep Dish Pizza Pans
(Cheap) and two Pans work perfectly for this recipe. Enjoy! Mark

lariadna

>gino's east for its deep dish pizza.

Did gino's east used to be gino's (Everybody goes to gino's...)?

C.

Carol Garbo

Mark; many thanks for your deep-dish pizza recipe. I already have a
deep-dish pizza pan and will be out shopping this week-end for the
ingredients; this really sounds great!! Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

Mason Barge

On 19 Oct 2005 14:20:24 -0700, "mook, what's a mook?"
> wrote:

>gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
>pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>
>as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
>a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>
>and coke kicks pepsi's ass

Sad, you just don't know any better.

The best pizza place AND the second best pizza place in the U.S. are
in New Haven, Conn. Pepe's and Sally's.

http://pizzatherapy.com/sallyfans.htm
Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Dee Randall

"Mason Barge" > wrote in message
> On 19 Oct 2005 14:20:24 -0700, "mook, what's a mook?"
> > wrote:
>
>>gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
>>pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>>
>>as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
>>a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>>
>>and coke kicks pepsi's ass

> Sad, you just don't know any better.
>
> The best pizza place AND the second best pizza place in the U.S. are
> in New Haven, Conn. Pepe's and Sally's.
>
> http://pizzatherapy.com/sallyfans.htm
> Mason Barge

I choose Sally's. Peppy's - nope! "Modern" mentioned: we tried it about 3
months ago. In the late afternoon, they were not busy. It doesn't hold a
candle to Sally's.
Peppy's is in a league all of their own; I'm one of the people that think
Peppy's stinks!
Dee Dee

D.Currie

"Mark D" > wrote in message
> Where I am from Armands is the best pizza and Coke always wins.
> ======================================
> Hylander, If you're speaking of Armands in Elmwood Park, Ill, then yes,
> I'll go along with that. Armands always did make a very good thin crust
> pizza. Thier Italian food isn't at all bad either, but 99% of the time,
> I always ate pizza there. I've always been a sucker for a Stuffed
> Artichoke too, and they used to serve these there also.

Oh my gosh, are you my long-lost brother? Armand's pizza! Artichokes! I'm
drooling.

former poster

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:11:42 -0600, "D.Currie"
> wrote:

>"Mark D" > wrote in message
>> Where I am from Armands is the best pizza and Coke always wins.
>> ======================================
>> Hylander, If you're speaking of Armands in Elmwood Park, Ill, then yes,
>> I'll go along with that. Armands always did make a very good thin crust
>> pizza. Thier Italian food isn't at all bad either, but 99% of the time,
>> I always ate pizza there. I've always been a sucker for a Stuffed
>> Artichoke too, and they used to serve these there also.

>Oh my gosh, are you my long-lost brother? Armand's pizza! Artichokes! I'm
>drooling.

Armond's has IMO the best thin crust in the Chicago area. All the
rest of the names mentioned in this thread pale in comparison. It
must have something to do with all the black limos in the parking lot.
Nancy Young

"former poster" > wrote

> Armond's has IMO the best thin crust in the Chicago area. All the
> rest of the names mentioned in this thread pale in comparison. It
> must have something to do with all the black limos in the parking lot.

It's next to a limo service?

nancy

Default User

L, not -L wrote:

> In St. Louis it's:
> IMO's if you love thin crust

Bah. Fortel's and Talayna's both make a better thin crust pizza than
Imo's.

> and Vito's if you don't

And Talayna's thick crust is the best pizza I've eaten in town.

> Hodak's - there is no better fried chicken

The best used to be Pat's on Tamm Ave in Dogtown (formerly
McDermott's), but I haven't eaten there since the blowed up the Arena,
so I'm not sure that's still true.

Brian

won't shut up.
Mason Barge

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:31:51 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"Mason Barge" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 19 Oct 2005 14:20:24 -0700, "mook, what's a mook?"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>gino's east for its deep dish pizza.
>>>pequeno and gigio's also have badass pizza.
>>>
>>>as for fried chicken, kfc is best.
>>>a local joint called harold's chicken also be good.
>>>
>>>and coke kicks pepsi's ass

>> Sad, you just don't know any better.
>>
>> The best pizza place AND the second best pizza place in the U.S. are
>> in New Haven, Conn. Pepe's and Sally's.
>>
>> http://pizzatherapy.com/sallyfans.htm
>> Mason Barge
>>

>I choose Sally's. Peppy's - nope! "Modern" mentioned: we tried it about 3
>months ago. In the late afternoon, they were not busy. It doesn't hold a
>candle to Sally's.
> Peppy's is in a league all of their own; I'm one of the people that think
>Peppy's stinks!
>Dee Dee

A chacun son gout, but Pepe's has sausage the size of golf balls.
Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Nancy Young

"Mason Barge" > wrote

> A chacun son gout, but Pepe's has sausage the size of golf balls.

This is a good thing? nancy

Dee Randall

"Mason Barge" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:31:51 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Mason Barge" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On 19 Oct 2005 14:20:24 -0700, "mook, what's a mook?"

>>> Sad, you just don't know any better.
>>>
>>> The best pizza place AND the second best pizza place in the U.S. are
>>> in New Haven, Conn. Pepe's and Sally's.
>>>
>>> http://pizzatherapy.com/sallyfans.htm
>>> Mason Barge
>>>

>>I choose Sally's. Peppy's - nope! "Modern" mentioned: we tried it about 3
>>months ago. In the late afternoon, they were not busy. It doesn't hold a
>>candle to Sally's.
>> Peppy's is in a league all of their own; I'm one of the people that
>> think
>>Peppy's stinks!
>>Dee Dee

> A chacun son gout, but Pepe's has sausage the size of golf balls.
> Mason Barge

OMG, perhaps the reason -- tee hee!
Dee Dee

Mark D

Armond's has IMO the best thin crust in the Chicago area. All the rest
of the names mentioned in this thread pale in comparison. It must have
something to do with all the black limos in the parking lot.
======================================
LOL, He's probably referring to Gansters.

Years ago, Home Run Inn, when they were just a little hole in the wall
Tavern, also used to make an outstanding Pizza. Even now, that they've
expanded, and have Carosel/Ferris Wheel Ovens that probably hold 40
Pizzas at a crack, they still aren't bad. And IMO, Home Run Inn Still
makes the best Frozen Commercial pizzas, much better than Digiorno.
Wish I could get those Frozen Home Run Inn Jobs down here in New Mexico.
They're probably just sold in NW Illinois area.

Connies pizza is edible, but as of recent times, they just are too darn
salty for my tastes. Salerno's in Oak Park at one time was pretty decent
also.

Going way back, Gennaros on Taylor St at one time made really good
pizza, as did Mama Shiavones (All the Chicago Blackhawks used to go
there in the 'early '60's, and then Blackies Pizza on Taylor in the
early '60's was every bit as good as Armands, and in fact better. They
made the best thin crust I ever had in my life IMO.

Even Ricobenes used to make an acceptable Pizza 35 years ago, when it
was all family working there. I remember they used to have a line just
for thier French Fries, which were great. Thier Breaded Steak Sandwich
was pretty good back then too, but a little place called Sara's west of
the original Ricobenes on 26th Street (around Wallace st) was the best
for Breaded Steak.

30 years ago, I used to frequent Gennaros for thier Cavetelli, with
Sausage on the side.
which was very good, as was Tufano's back then, when the ole man was
still alive.

Superior Bakery (Masi's) on Taylor St, and Western Ave. still makes the
very best Italian Bread I've ever eaten, and do a real good Bakery Pizza
too, but you gotta get there early (6-8am)
Get there at 11am-12 noon, and they're out of everything. Mark

D.Currie

"Mark D" > wrote in message
> Armond's has IMO the best thin crust in the Chicago area. All the rest
> of the names mentioned in this thread pale in comparison. It must have
> something to do with all the black limos in the parking lot.
> ======================================
> LOL, He's probably referring to Gansters.
>
> Years ago, Home Run Inn, when they were just a little hole in the wall
> Tavern, also used to make an outstanding Pizza. Even now, that they've
> expanded, and have Carosel/Ferris Wheel Ovens that probably hold 40
> Pizzas at a crack, they still aren't bad. And IMO, Home Run Inn Still
> makes the best Frozen Commercial pizzas, much better than Digiorno.
> Wish I could get those Frozen Home Run Inn Jobs down here in New Mexico.
> They're probably just sold in NW Illinois area.
>
> Connies pizza is edible, but as of recent times, they just are too darn
> salty for my tastes. Salerno's in Oak Park at one time was pretty decent
> also.
>
> Going way back, Gennaros on Taylor St at one time made really good
> pizza, as did Mama Shiavones (All the Chicago Blackhawks used to go
> there in the 'early '60's, and then Blackies Pizza on Taylor in the
> early '60's was every bit as good as Armands, and in fact better. They
> made the best thin crust I ever had in my life IMO.
>
> Even Ricobenes used to make an acceptable Pizza 35 years ago, when it
> was all family working there. I remember they used to have a line just
> for thier French Fries, which were great. Thier Breaded Steak Sandwich
> was pretty good back then too, but a little place called Sara's west of
> the original Ricobenes on 26th Street (around Wallace st) was the best
> for Breaded Steak.
>
> 30 years ago, I used to frequent Gennaros for thier Cavetelli, with
> Sausage on the side.
> which was very good, as was Tufano's back then, when the ole man was
> still alive.
>
> Superior Bakery (Masi's) on Taylor St, and Western Ave. still makes the
> very best Italian Bread I've ever eaten, and do a real good Bakery Pizza
> too, but you gotta get there early (6-8am)
> Get there at 11am-12 noon, and they're out of everything. Mark

I almost forgot about Ricobene's steak sandwiches.

Ever been to Esposito's? Up north, maybe Morton Grove or something? Thinnest
pizza I've ever had.

Carol Garbo

Best pizza? Years ago(I'm talking the 1950's), the best pizza I've
eaten was from 2 Brothers in Springfield, IL, but they closed down (as
far as we can tell) several years ago. Now, I think that a really good
place for pizza is the Roca Bar in Evansville, IN.
Best fried chicken? In my area, it's getting harder & harder to find
really great (or even passable) fried chicken. The Dog Town Tavern in
Evansville, IN used to have great fried chicken, but the last 2 times we
went there, it was just barely edible.
Coke or Pepsi? My favorite is really R-C, but for some reason, it's
really gotten pricey in this area. So, it's Coke over Pepsi; Pepsi just
tastes too darn sweet. Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

D.Currie

"Mark D" > wrote in message
> Of course tastes vary I might add, and now that I'm living down here in
> Southern NM, people here think Domino's is the cat's meow. YUCK!
>
> They wouldn't know a good Pizza down here if it fell from the sky, and
> cracked them in the head.
>
> Same with Mexican Food here. Taco Bell is actually better than 100% of
> the Mexican restaurants in the area. The restaurants here either have
> no idea what real mexican food is, or are too cheap to make it.
>
> I suppose there's exceptions to the rule, but I'm not about to travel
> 1/2 way across the state to like Santa Fe, or El Paso, for a Carne
> Asada, or a decent order of Tacos. Here again, I make my own. Mark

I feel your pain...I moved from Chicago to Colorado, and the pizza it truly
awful, and most of the things I took for granted as cheap eats or easy to
find in any supermarket just don't exist here.

There are a few hole-in-the wall Mexican places here that are pretty good
(but not very pretty) and a couple of larger places that are good, so that's
not so terrible.

But I can't find sweet Italian sausage in any store or restaurant -- it's
either hot sausage or completely bland and tasteless. And gyros just don't
exist. I can find smoked polish sausage, but not fresh...No one really knows
what an Italian beef sandwich is, either.

So I've been working on making all those things for myself. So instead of
gyros being cheap, fast take-out, it's a two-day process. And I still
haven't perfected the tzaiziki sauce -- most recipes I see ask for mint or
oregano, and I don't remember seeing green bits in the stuff I used to get.
Actually, nothing's quite perfected yet, it's all a work in progress, but I
get closer with every batch.

As for pizza, there's one place that opened up that's got a good, but not
great pizza. I think the altitude affects the crust, so it's just not quite
right. I'll figure it out some day.

Maybe next time I go to Chicago, I drive a refrigerated truck, so I can
bring home everything I miss.

Donna

Mark D

Hi Donna, I had Gyros once In Durango, CO, but naturally, not anywhere
as good as Gyros in Greektown, Chicago.

The Tzaiziki (sp) sauce is a blend of Sour Cream, and finely chopped
Cucumber I believe. Nothing much more than this, and perhaps thinned
with a bit with Milk, or 1/2+1/2. You should be able to find the proper
recipe by googling for it.

The one hard part about Gyros, would be the cost of a Professional Spit
to make/cook them on. (Same with Al Pastor Tacos)

Another very hard item to exactly duplicate, is Italian Beef Sandwiches.
(And also finding the good French Bread like Gonnella's, or Turano.

Sure, one could have a shipment of Buona Beef, or Scalas shipped
basically anywhere in the US, but the prices will stagger you. Try
about $60 for a small order of Beef. I looked.

I know how to make homemade Giardeniera, but can't find the correct
Chile peppers to make it here. Traditionally, a pepper called the Sport
Pepper was used, but I've had good success using Cayenne, or Fingerhot
Peppers/Chiles.

Here in New Mexico, of all places, the so called "Haven of Chiles", you
cannot find numerous varieties, which is surprising, considering the
large percentage of Latino folks who live in New Mexico.

All you basically find is Jalapenos, NM Chiles, Anahiems/Cubanelles on
occasion, Bell Peppers, and Poblanos, Serranos, and usually Habaneros.
Half these peppers probably don't even come from NM, but from Mexico.

I've never seen Fingerhots, CayennesArbols, Sport Peppers, Thai Peppers,
or anything else unusual here. I'll have to order some seeds next year,
and grow my own, as the Pepper Plants I've gotten from places like
Wal-Mart all wind up being NM Chiles, no matter what the label says. Of
course, dried Arbols, which are easily gotten here won't be suitable for
Giardeneria.

I suppose one must remember that there are more latinos living in the
city of Chicago, than all the people in NM combined. (NM's population is
about 1.5 mil)

Fresh Shellfish is another difficult item to get here (Clams/Oysters) I
found fresh Bluepoints in Farmington some months back, and found fresh
Clams in Las Cruces at Albertsons which were good, but here in Southern
NM, things like that don't sell, as the majority of the population only
know one thing, and that's Tacos, and just basically Ground Beef at
that. I don't think anyone in the area knows what a real Steak Taco Is.
(Unless they get it at Taco Bell)
No one here even knows what Al Pastor is?

Also, forget about finding a decent Bakery, or a Deli-Cheese Store here.
Finding real "English" Cheddar, real Roquefort, any any other quality
Blue Cheeses is an impossibility. A few stores did carry pre-packaged
Society Brand Roquefort for awhile, which is very good, but stopped
carrying it, as no one down here will spend the money on this type of
Cheese ($6.49 for a small wedge). It's too expensive for thier tastes.

There is a Trader Joes in the State, but it's in Santa Fe. Figures, as
many Movie Stars live in this town, and can afford, and appreciate the
finer foods.

Where I live in Alamogordo, NM, a Trader Joes wouldn't last two weeks.
We once had an Albertsons I understand. They packed up, and fled over 3
years ago, because people are basically just too cheap to patronize
establishments such as this.. (Thanks to Wal-Mart in part) Mark

D.Currie

"Mark D" > wrote in message
> Hi Donna, I had Gyros once In Durango, CO, but naturally, not anywhere
> as good as Gyros in Greektown, Chicago.
>
> The Tzaiziki (sp) sauce is a blend of Sour Cream, and finely chopped
> Cucumber I believe. Nothing much more than this, and perhaps thinned
> with a bit with Milk, or 1/2+1/2. You should be able to find the proper
> recipe by googling for it.

Actually it's yogurt and cucumber, but I can't get it exactly right. The
online recipes usually include oregano or mint, which isn't what I remember.
Sometimes lemon or oilive oil, usually some salt. I usually add some sour
cream to it, because it seems closer to what I remember, but I'm still
missing something. And I'm sure it's not mint. Maybe it's just the yogurt I
use...

> The one hard part about Gyros, would be the cost of a Professional Spit
> to make/cook them on. (Same with Al Pastor Tacos)

That's what I thought, until I saw an episode of Good Eats where he made the
meat on a grill rotisserie. Okay, it's horizontal instead of vertical, but
the result it pretty darned close.

> Another very hard item to exactly duplicate, is Italian Beef Sandwiches.
> (And also finding the good French Bread like Gonnella's, or Turano.

Just had beefs a couple nights ago. I bake my own bread, so that's not as
much an issue. Sure, it's not exactly the same, but it's closer than
anything I can find here.

Make my own pita bread, too, for the gyros.

And Cuban bread, for Cuban sandwiches.

> Sure, one could have a shipment of Buona Beef, or Scalas shipped
> basically anywhere in the US, but the prices will stagger you. Try
> about $60 for a small order of Beef. I looked.

Last year for Christmas, I ordered from Taste of Chicago, and got beef,
Vienna dogs, pizza, and Eli's cheesecake. It was pricey, but good. Carson's
ribs will ship, too, if you like them. Ordered those for Thanksgiving one
year.

Sadly, I can get frozen White Castle burgers at the grocery store. I can
live without those, no problem. I'd rather see a package of Vienna dogs or
Vienna beef....

> I know how to make homemade Giardeniera, but can't find the correct
> Chile peppers to make it here. Traditionally, a pepper called the Sport
> Pepper was used, but I've had good success using Cayenne, or Fingerhot
> Peppers/Chiles.

I just scored about a pint of them from a New York style deli here. The
brand is Marconi, which is the right one. He buys the stuff in gallon jugs
for the "Chicago-style" beef sandwiches he makes, but he sold me a container
of the peppers, so I'm good for a while now. Those things go a long way.
Maybe one of these days, I'll try one of beef his sandwiches - he cooks his
own beef but says he buys the gravy from Vienna.. Other places have had
them, but they always mess something up - one place was close, but the beef
was sliced way too thick.

The New York deli also has the whole sport peppers used for hot dogs,
although I saw similar ones at the grocery that I might try.

> Here in New Mexico, of all places, the so called "Haven of Chiles", you
> cannot find numerous varieties, which is surprising, considering the
> large percentage of Latino folks who live in New Mexico.
>
> All you basically find is Jalapenos, NM Chiles, Anahiems/Cubanelles on
> occasion, Bell Peppers, and Poblanos, Serranos, and usually Habaneros.
> Half these peppers probably don't even come from NM, but from Mexico.
>
> I've never seen Fingerhots, CayennesArbols, Sport Peppers, Thai Peppers,
> or anything else unusual here. I'll have to order some seeds next year,
> and grow my own, as the Pepper Plants I've gotten from places like
> Wal-Mart all wind up being NM Chiles, no matter what the label says. Of
> course, dried Arbols, which are easily gotten here won't be suitable for
> Giardeneria.

Peppers are pretty easy to grow, but I have no idea what those peppers are
in the Marconi Giardeneira. They aren't the same ones other brands use,
that's for sure. If you've got room for them inside, and enough light, you
can grow peppers all year long, too. I've got a couple of odd plants that
I've had in containers for going on three years now, and they bloom and
produce all year. Better in the summer, of course, but if you're intent on
one type of pepper, at least you wouldn't be starting over each year.

> I suppose one must remember that there are more latinos living in the
> city of Chicago, than all the people in NM combined. (NM's population is
> about 1.5 mil)

I used to work at Cermak and Ashland, more or less, which is predominately
hispanic, but with a pocket of old-time Italian places just to the west.
Lunches there were always interesting.

A couple of those hole-in-the-wall type hispanic places have opened here,
which makes for some interesting eating. One is a combo grocery, meat market
and restaurant. I've never seem so many selections of meats for tacos.

> Fresh Shellfish is another difficult item to get here (Clams/Oysters) I
> found fresh Bluepoints in Farmington some months back, and found fresh

I'm not all that crazy about clams and oysters. When we lived in Chicago, we
used to order lobsters and steamers from a place in Maine, though. We'd take
orders from everyone we knew, and we'd end up with hundreds of lobsters to
divvy up.

> Clams in Las Cruces at Albertsons which were good, but here in Southern
> NM, things like that don't sell, as the majority of the population only
> know one thing, and that's Tacos, and just basically Ground Beef at
> that. I don't think anyone in the area knows what a real Steak Taco Is.
> (Unless they get it at Taco Bell)
> No one here even knows what Al Pastor is?

There are a couple of places here that sell Al Pastor tacos that are really
good, and there's a meat market that sells the marinated meat. Not the same
as the stuff as what you'd get carved off a spit, but it's pretty darned
tasty. Those places are pretty new here, though. When we first moved here,
there was one good place with a limited menu, and then Taco Bell and Taco
John's. At least now we're getting decent Mexican places.

> Also, forget about finding a decent Bakery, or a Deli-Cheese Store here.
> Finding real "English" Cheddar, real Roquefort, any any other quality
> Blue Cheeses is an impossibility. A few stores did carry pre-packaged
> Society Brand Roquefort for awhile, which is very good, but stopped
> carrying it, as no one down here will spend the money on this type of
> Cheese ($6.49 for a small wedge). It's too expensive for thier tastes.

There's a cheese warehouse here, which is odd. Huge refrigerated warehouse
with all sorts of imported cheeses. But I still can't get some of the stuff
that I used to pick up in Wisconsin. Or in the grocery stores in Chicago,
for that matter. I've given up on finding bread. I bake all of my own. I'm
still trying to perfect pizza crust though. I think the altitude is a big
part of the problem.

I also miss some of the other ethnic foods that were so common in Chicago. I
used to go to a couple of Polish deli's where I could buy fresh pierogi and
sausages and all sorts of things. I found a two polish stores about 45 miles
from here, and some of the stuff is imported from Poland and some is
imported from Chicago. Like frozen pierogi. It's better than nothing, but
it's a long drive, and still not as good at the plentiful places in Chicago.

> There is a Trader Joes in the State, but it's in Santa Fe. Figures, as
> many Movie Stars live in this town, and can afford, and appreciate the
> finer foods.
>
> Where I live in Alamogordo, NM, a Trader Joes wouldn't last two weeks.

Never been to a Trader Joe's.

> We once had an Albertsons I understand. They packed up, and fled over 3
> years ago, because people are basically just too cheap to patronize
> establishments such as this.. (Thanks to Wal-Mart in part) Mark

We've got an Albertson's and it doesn't seem all that expensive to me; no
more than the Safeway or King Soopers, which are the other chains here.
Albertson's has a bigger Hispanic section and they've got some different
cuts of meat that you can't get at the other places.

Ever been to Russell's on Thatcher in River Grove? (I think it's River
Grove....)

Donna

Mark D

Hi Donna, Ashland, and Cermak? I can't really picture much over there,
although it's been over two years since I've been in Chicago. There was
a decent large Mexican Restaurant right there on the corner, but the
name eludes me right now. I've been in there a few times, but they were
outrageously expensive I thought, and the food could've been better.
Camachos. or? Something like that.

Just a few blocks from there, was one of my fav Mexican Restaurants,
Nuevo Leon, on 18th St, and around Laflin. Then there was El Milagro
over on Blue Island near 18th St. Very good too, and thier prices were
very reasonable. The El Milagro Tortilla Factory was right next door.

I visited both establishments for quite a few years, Nuevo Leon for
probably 25 years. God, do I miss that place. Really good Carne Asada.

Yep, and I miss Greektown too. Probably been in every place in
Greektown over the years.
Sure miss the Saganaki, the delicious Greek Bread, the Octopus,
Egg-Lemon Soup and Lamb Chops, the Greek Wine (Roditys) to wash it down
with, and even miss the Baklava.

And don't get me started on Chinatown. Another place I dearly miss. I
used to visit Moon Palace all the time, which was right next to the Fire
House Station on Wentworth St. at Cermak.

I always ordered either Beef, or Chicken with Black Mushrooms/Bamboo
Shoots, and instead of Rice, would order pan fried Chow Fun Noodles,
which are a wide rice noodle, first boiled/steamed, then pan fried.
Thier Pot Stickers were also to die for. All I can get here, are the
Ling Ling Potstickers from Wally World, and while they're OK, they are a
far cry from the real thing at Moon Palace.

When I used to go there, the Boss always knew to tell the waitresses to
bring me my order of Potstickers. Thier Hot Pepper Oil/Black Bean Sauce
was the perfect compliment to them.
Those poor people probably wonder what the heck happened to me, and why
I never come anymore? :-( Mark

Mark D

Yes Donna, I remember they also used to sell Marconi Brand Giardeniera
in Chicago also, and another decent brand called Bari.

My Uncle taught me how to make my own, and my recipe follows below.
Perhaps you might have better luck than I in the future acquiring the
correct peppers/chiles to make it.

Giardeniera:
1/2 lb of Fingerhot, or green fresh Cayenne Peppers

1 small jar of small Pimento Stuffed Olives
2, or 3 Stalks of Celery

1 heaping TBSP of Capers in Brine

If the peppers are washed, they must be totally dry before chopping into
slices. Same with the Celery.

Discard Stems, and Slice all peppers 3/8" long, slice Celery into 1/4"
Strips, drain Olives, and dry them as much as you can on paper towels,
and the same for the Capers also.

Throw all ingredients into a large Stainless Steel, or Glass Bowl, and
cover with Vegetable Oil, completely immersing all ingredients. (Usually
1 large Bottle Of Veggie Oil will do the trick)

Cover with Aluminum Foil, Store in a cool place, and daily one must
check the mixture making sure all ingredients are immersed, pushing the
ingredients down, and slight stirring, otherwise mold might begin to
develope.

The pepper mixture must remain in the bowl for one week, until all
gasses are spent. Then they may be bottled/jarred, without risk of any
problems. The Salt/Vinegar brine from the Capers/Olives is usually
enough to correctly flavor the entire Mixture. Some people will first
give all ingredients a vinegar bath, and no doubt this gives the
Giardeniera a better shelf life, but to me, also gives it too much of a
sharp "vinegary" taste. After this is made, it may be eaten after about
a month of sitting/storing, till the peppers/celery "soften" a bit.
Shelf life is about 1 year. Mark

D.Currie

Hi,

Actually, it was Paulina, not Ashland; I quit that job some time before I
left town and I tried to forget it. And it was a bit further south -- about
25th, it seems. There was a high school nearby -- corner of Ashland and
something, I think, can't recall the name, and nearby was a grade school
where a cop got shot when some nut was running amok. And the street ran at a
bit of an angle -- was that Blue Island? Some of those neighborhoods were
pretty rough, and that wasn't the worst of where I had to go, which is one
reason why I quit.

I wish I could remember the names of some of those Italian places...they
were older than the neighborhoods.

Nueva Leon was one of the lunch spots, for sure. There were a couple other
places that may not have had actual names...El Milagro I really don't
remember, but I know the tortillas.

I grew up under the shadow of O'Hare, though, so those are the neighborhoods
I knew better. Are you familiar with Gene's & Jude's hot dogs or Bob-O's or
the Beef Joint? The best pizzas sometimes were the neighborhood places that
weren't famous and weren't chains. I remember watching the guy make pizzas
right by the counter...almost across the street from where I lived. It may
have had a name, but we just called it "The Pizzeria" and that was it. Then
it closed, got sold, got remodeled, and it was suddenly a "Sport's" bar and
I wanted to go over there and whack them upside the head for the apostrophe
in the name.

But I digress. I'm starting to get hungry and I really ought to tuck it in
for the night. I'll probably dream about food and wake up to find the pillow
gone...

Donna