Nancy Lother

Default canning

i was wondering if anyone could help me with a receipe for canning
pears, or peaches. its my first time at anything like this. thanks,
nancy

Ophelia

"Nancy Lother" > wrote in message
>i was wondering if anyone could help me with a receipe for canning
> pears, or peaches. its my first time at anything like this. thanks,
> nancy

If you go on over the rec.food.preserving you will get lots of help

Ophelia

Ahh you have Barb herself.. you don't need any preserving group)))

www.jamlady.eboard.com -
> there's an envelope in the upper left corner; click on that.
> -Barb
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05

pjjehg

"Ophelia" wrote ...
> Ahh you have Barb herself.. you don't need any preserving group)))
> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote ...

(Nancy Lother) wrote:>>> i was wondering if anyone could help me with a
receipe for canning
>>> pears, or peaches. its my first time at anything like this. thanks,
>>> nancy

>> What do you want to know? (I think peaches are easier to peel than
>> pears.) The "recipes" are pretty simple, Nancy, and you have options
>> for how sweet you want the liquid they're canned in. You'll want to pay
>> attention to how you process them. Your best bet, IMNSHO, for a paper
>> text is the Ball Blue Book; for a website, go to the National Center for
>> Home Food Preservation (NCHFP) at the University of Georgia
>> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>, they're the only university currently doing
>> research for the USDA. For newsgroups, Usenet's rec.food.preserving is
>> frequented by some helpful and very pleasant folks (the horse's ass left
>> about 2-1/2 years ago) who will be happy to advise on any specifics that
>> you might not understand from the NCHFP site. The BBB (Ball Blue Book)
>> has illustrations to give you some confidence, I'd say.
>>
>> My very first net friend was a woman in Seattle who I taught to can --
>> via email. Fond memories. We met in person a few years later. If you
>> want to email me, do it from my website: www.jamlady.eboard.com -
>> there's an envelope in the upper left corner; click on that.
>> -Barb
>> --
>> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05

This is all well and good, Ophelia and Barb. However, Nancy is a WebTVer.
She hasn't had (sp?) jacqui's training session. She was fairly restrained
in this OP, but I caught an earlier one from her that wasn't quite... She
wasn't abusive, she just wasn't in the neighborhood.

What is it? Does WebTV give these incredible specials or do they just point
their clients at newsgroups periodically? Why can't they explain lurking
and searching? Oh, who do I think I am and why do I care? ;-)

The only other newsgroup to which I regularly post is rec.art.mystery. We
don't get much of the WebTV scene; some crossposting with other groups, but
we're small enough and nasty enough (outside the group) to fight back. The
very few
WebTVer's who have shown up over the years have been very circumspect.

I keep thinking that there should be a firewall when WebTVers start
posting---"Read this www and Usenet and whatever manual. There will be a
test. If you do not pass the test, phhffttt, you can't play." I know
that's not fair---look at all the a***oles out here! It's just that they
come in here like they have the keys to kingdom and who are we---give us a
break!

Oh, well, I'm tired, cranky, and am trying to clean up and pack up this
****hole we call a computer room so Ed will let me have the "good" computer
on the move this weekend.

Pam

Ophelia

"pjjehg" > wrote in message
> This is all well and good, Ophelia and Barb. However, Nancy is a WebTVer.
> She hasn't had (sp?) jacqui's training session. She was fairly restrained
> in this OP, but I caught an earlier one from her that wasn't quite... She
> wasn't abusive, she just wasn't in the neighborhood.
>
> What is it? Does WebTV give these incredible specials or do they just
> point their clients at newsgroups periodically? Why can't they explain
> lurking and searching?

Ahh I didn't know.

>Oh, who do I think I am and why do I care? ;-)

I can't answer that but I think it is lovely that you do. I am sure I
would care too if I understood the problems

I know absolutely nothing about WebTV and its problems

zxcvbob

Ophelia wrote:
> "pjjehg" > wrote in message
>
>>This is all well and good, Ophelia and Barb. However, Nancy is a WebTVer.
>>She hasn't had (sp?) jacqui's training session. She was fairly restrained
>>in this OP, but I caught an earlier one from her that wasn't quite... She
>>wasn't abusive, she just wasn't in the neighborhood.
>>
>>What is it? Does WebTV give these incredible specials or do they just
>>point their clients at newsgroups periodically? Why can't they explain
>>lurking and searching?

> Ahh I didn't know.
>

>>Oh, who do I think I am and why do I care? ;-)

> I can't answer that but I think it is lovely that you do. I am sure I
> would care too if I understood the problems
>
> I know absolutely nothing about WebTV and its problems

WebTV does seem to have a disproportionate number of idiots (all ISP's
have their share), but I have no idea what set off Pam; Nancy's post
looked perfectly reasonable to me. No dancing frogs or singing kittens
or fully animated local weather reports... ;-)

Welcome to Nancy. But you'll get more and better *canning* advice at
rec.food.preserving

Best regards,
Bob
~patches~

Nancy Lother wrote:

> i was wondering if anyone could help me with a receipe for canning
> pears, or peaches. its my first time at anything like this. thanks,
> nancy

Hi Nancy. I do a lot of canning including peaches and pears. Right now
I'm in the middle of doing up various tomato products and have posted
links to pictures of some of them. When I get tired of seeing tomatoes
I switch and do up a batch of something using apples. Today I'm taking
a break from tomatoes and apples and doing up mint jelly The best
resouce is the Ball Blue Book. A good website is homecanning.com and
Melba posted an excellent link in her reply. Here's the link to
homecanning's instructions for doing peaches
http://www.homecanning.com/can/AlRecipes.asp?R=103 Since you are new to
canning you would find it quite helpful to read through canning basics
at the homecanning website. As others have mentioned
rec.food.preserving is a great newsgroup with lots of friendly and
knowledgable posters. I post there too. If you need any help just ask.

A couple of tips when doing peaches or pears - I find the 1 L (quart)
size of jars to be the best size to use. I like using a thin flexible
spatula for removing air bubbles.

~patches~

(Nancy Lother) wrote:

>>>What do you want to know? (I think peaches are easier to peel than
>>>pears.) The "recipes" are pretty simple, Nancy, and you have options

> You're flattering, and I thank you for that, but it's just not so. I
> know a fair amount about a few things but others actually DO more than I
> do -- I'd trust George Shirley with my life. And maybe zxcvbob. Maybe.
> ?-)

George has to be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to peppers
and hot sauce! I love reading about his hot sauce. I'm so envious that
I haven't been able to make a batch yet. I only grow enough of the
various hot peppers to make salsa with so never have enough for much of
anything else. Maybe next year I'll take over another section of yard
for more veggies. You know zxcvbob is rather iffy. Everyone says the
canning has gone right to his head - LOL R&D

Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Nancy Lother wrote:
>
>> i was wondering if anyone could help me with a receipe for canning
>> pears, or peaches. its my first time at anything like this. thanks,
>> nancy
>>

> Hi Nancy. I do a lot of canning including peaches and pears. Right now
> I'm in the middle of doing up various tomato products and have posted
> links to pictures of some of them. When I get tired of seeing tomatoes I
> switch and do up a batch of something using apples. Today I'm taking a
> break from tomatoes and apples and doing up mint jelly The best
> resouce is the Ball Blue Book. A good website is homecanning.com and
> Melba posted an excellent link in her reply. Here's the link to
> homecanning's instructions for doing peaches
> http://www.homecanning.com/can/AlRecipes.asp?R=103 Since you are new to
> canning you would find it quite helpful to read through canning basics at
> the homecanning website. As others have mentioned rec.food.preserving is
> a great newsgroup with lots of friendly and knowledgable posters. I post
> there too. If you need any help just ask.
>
> A couple of tips when doing peaches or pears - I find the 1 L (quart) size
> of jars to be the best size to use. I like using a thin flexible spatula
> for removing air bubbles.

I love to read your postings, but I'm thinking that the food ng 'preserving'
would really enjoy your postings as well. For some reason, subscribers seem
not to like 'cross-postings.' I've not done any, but I always wonder why.
Dee Dee

~patches~

Dee Randall wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>
>>Nancy Lother wrote:
>>

>>>i was wondering if anyone could help me with a receipe for canning
>>>pears, or peaches. its my first time at anything like this. thanks,
>>>nancy
>>>

>>Hi Nancy. I do a lot of canning including peaches and pears. Right now
>>I'm in the middle of doing up various tomato products and have posted
>>links to pictures of some of them. When I get tired of seeing tomatoes I
>>switch and do up a batch of something using apples. Today I'm taking a
>>break from tomatoes and apples and doing up mint jelly The best
>>resouce is the Ball Blue Book. A good website is homecanning.com and
>>Melba posted an excellent link in her reply. Here's the link to
>>homecanning's instructions for doing peaches
>>http://www.homecanning.com/can/AlRecipes.asp?R=103 Since you are new to
>>canning you would find it quite helpful to read through canning basics at
>>the homecanning website. As others have mentioned rec.food.preserving is
>>a great newsgroup with lots of friendly and knowledgable posters. I post
>>there too. If you need any help just ask.
>>
>>A couple of tips when doing peaches or pears - I find the 1 L (quart) size
>>of jars to be the best size to use. I like using a thin flexible spatula
>>for removing air bubbles.

> I love to read your postings, but I'm thinking that the food ng 'preserving'
> would really enjoy your postings as well. For some reason, subscribers seem
> not to like 'cross-postings.' I've not done any, but I always wonder why.
> Dee Dee

Thank-you for your kind words. I post on rec.food.preserving and on
rec.garden.edible. Many of the posters here do the same thing so they
would likely get bored seeing the same messages. If you can or freeze
chances are good you garden and chances are even better you like to
cook. Most of the canning is seasonal so I should be back to regular
cooking soon. Wait until I post pick of my lasagne! My quiche isn't
all that bad either. Well I still have mushrooms and a couple of soups
to can as well as finish up salsa. My canned and frozen goodies is what
helps me to cook healthy meals the rest of the year I'm not sure
what the problem with cross posting is as long as the two groups are
related.
kr_gentner

"pjjehg" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote ...
>> Ahh you have Barb herself.. you don't need any preserving group)))
>> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote ...

> (Nancy Lother) wrote:>>> i was wondering if anyone could help me with a
> receipe for canning
>>>
>>> What do you want to know? (I think peaches are easier to peel than
>>> pears.) The "recipes" are pretty simple, Nancy, and you have options
>>> for how sweet you want the liquid they're canned in. You'll want to pay
>>> attention to how you process them. Your best bet, IMNSHO, for a paper
>>> text is the Ball Blue Book; for a website, go to the National Center for
>>> Home Food Preservation (NCHFP) at the University of Georgia
>>> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>, they're the only university currently doing
>>> research for the USDA. For newsgroups, Usenet's rec.food.preserving is
>>> frequented by some helpful and very pleasant folks (the horse's ass left
>>> about 2-1/2 years ago) who will be happy to advise on any specifics that
>>> you might not understand from the NCHFP site. The BBB (Ball Blue Book)
>>> has illustrations to give you some confidence, I'd say.
>>>
>>> My very first net friend was a woman in Seattle who I taught to can --
>>> via email. Fond memories. We met in person a few years later. If you
>>> want to email me, do it from my website: www.jamlady.eboard.com -
>>> there's an envelope in the upper left corner; click on that.
>>> -Barb
>>> --
>>> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05

> This is all well and good, Ophelia and Barb. However, Nancy is a WebTVer.
> She hasn't had (sp?) jacqui's training session. She was fairly restrained
> in this OP, but I caught an earlier one from her that wasn't quite... She
> wasn't abusive, she just wasn't in the neighborhood.
>
> What is it? Does WebTV give these incredible specials or do they just
> point their clients at newsgroups periodically? Why can't they explain
> lurking and searching? Oh, who do I think I am and why do I care? ;-)
>
> The only other newsgroup to which I regularly post is rec.art.mystery. We
> don't get much of the WebTV scene; some crossposting with other groups,
> but we're small enough and nasty enough (outside the group) to fight back.
> The very few
> WebTVer's who have shown up over the years have been very circumspect.
>
> I keep thinking that there should be a firewall when WebTVers start
> posting---"Read this www and Usenet and whatever manual. There will be a
> test. If you do not pass the test, phhffttt, you can't play." I know
> that's not fair---look at all the a***oles out here! It's just that they
> come in here like they have the keys to kingdom and who are we---give us a
> break!
>
> Oh, well, I'm tired, cranky, and am trying to clean up and pack up this
> ****hole we call a computer room so Ed will let me have the "good"
> computer on the move this weekend.
>
> Pam

Could you please explain what being a webtver has to do with the ability to
can? Does being able to use a computer confer some special ability to can?

Kathy

pjjehg

"zxcvbob" wrote ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "pjjehg" wrote...
>>
>>>This is all well and good, Ophelia and Barb. However, Nancy is a
>>>WebTVer. She hasn't had (sp?) jacqui's training session. She was fairly
>>>restrained in this OP, but I caught an earlier one from her that wasn't
>>>quite... She wasn't abusive, she just wasn't in the neighborhood.
>>>
>>>What is it? Does WebTV give these incredible specials or do they just
>>>point their clients at newsgroups periodically? Why can't they explain
>>>lurking and searching?

>> Ahh I didn't know.
>>

>>>Oh, who do I think I am and why do I care? ;-)

>> I can't answer that but I think it is lovely that you do. I am sure I
>> would care too if I understood the problems
>>
>> I know absolutely nothing about WebTV and its problems

> WebTV does seem to have a disproportionate number of idiots (all ISP's
> have their share), but I have no idea what set off Pam; Nancy's post
> looked perfectly reasonable to me. No dancing frogs or singing kittens or
> fully animated local weather reports... ;-)
>
> Welcome to Nancy. But you'll get more and better *canning* advice at
> rec.food.preserving
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Sorry, Nancy and Bob, I'm very cranky these days---I'm moving. I think part
of my problem with the WebTV crew is that they never seem to take the time
to lurk and read, to learn how this or that particular group operates, to
learn just some basic netiquette. Have you seen even a basic Hi, I'm so and
so, from any of them? We just had an 18-year-old dude with a question on
cooking with wine who had the manners to introduce himself to the group.
Jacqui works very hard to educate this group, and I applaud her. I'm just
not all that patient these days, and I apologize.

BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm one of the original trollops. I
posted regularly for some time (under various addresses), disappeared for
awhile, wandered in again, disappeared again, wandered in, and disappeared,
and have been back for a fair time at this point. I'm not always mannerly,
but I try to be! I live a looong way down the street from Melba, but in the
same part of the world, although Ed and I are moving to
Colorado---officially 10/1. Ed is responsible for introducing to the world
"Campbell's" Cream of Lutefisk Soup.

Dang, Carol, I promised that we pass the official
"first-off-the-assembly-line" cans to you and Gene. We'll get to
that---unless you're afraid to have them in the house! Now that I think of
it, they might blow up during transport.

Pam

pjjehg

"kr_gentner" wrote ...
> "pjjehg" wrote

This is all well and good, Ophelia and Barb. However, Nancy is a WebTVer.
>> She hasn't had (sp?) jacqui's training session. She was fairly
>> restrained in this OP, but I caught an earlier one from her that wasn't
>> quite... She wasn't abusive, she just wasn't in the neighborhood.
>>
>> What is it? Does WebTV give these incredible specials or do they just
>> point their clients at newsgroups periodically? Why can't they explain
>> lurking and searching? Oh, who do I think I am and why do I care? ;-)
>>
>> The only other newsgroup to which I regularly post is rec.art.mystery.
>> We don't get much of the WebTV scene; some crossposting with other
>> groups, but we're small enough and nasty enough (outside the group) to
>> fight back. The very few
>> WebTVer's who have shown up over the years have been very circumspect.
>>
>> I keep thinking that there should be a firewall when WebTVers start
>> posting---"Read this www and Usenet and whatever manual. There will be a
>> test. If you do not pass the test, phhffttt, you can't play." I know
>> that's not fair---look at all the a***oles out here! It's just that they
>> come in here like they have the keys to kingdom and who are we---give us
>> a break!
>>
>> Oh, well, I'm tired, cranky, and am trying to clean up and pack up this
>> ****hole we call a computer room so Ed will let me have the "good"
>> computer on the move this weekend.
>>
>> Pam

> Could you please explain what being a webtver has to do with the ability
> to can? Does being able to use a computer confer some special ability to
> can?
>
> Kathy

Sorry, Kathy, I'm just cranky these days. Please read the other post I sent
in reply on this thread.

Pam

~patches~

pjjehg wrote:

> "zxcvbob" wrote ...
>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>>"pjjehg" wrote...

>>>Ahh I didn't know.

>>>I can't answer that but I think it is lovely that you do. I am sure I
>>>would care too if I understood the problems
>>>
>>>I know absolutely nothing about WebTV and its problems

>>WebTV does seem to have a disproportionate number of idiots (all ISP's
>>have their share), but I have no idea what set off Pam; Nancy's post
>>looked perfectly reasonable to me. No dancing frogs or singing kittens or
>>fully animated local weather reports... ;-)
>>
>>Welcome to Nancy. But you'll get more and better *canning* advice at
>>rec.food.preserving
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Sorry, Nancy and Bob, I'm very cranky these days---I'm moving. I think part
> of my problem with the WebTV crew is that they never seem to take the time
> to lurk and read, to learn how this or that particular group operates, to
> learn just some basic netiquette. Have you seen even a basic Hi, I'm so and
> so, from any of them? We just had an 18-year-old dude with a question on
> cooking with wine who had the manners to introduce himself to the group.
> Jacqui works very hard to educate this group, and I applaud her. I'm just
> not all that patient these days, and I apologize.
>
> BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm one of the original trollops. I

I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be considered a
regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I assume it is a
good thing?

> posted regularly for some time (under various addresses), disappeared for
> awhile, wandered in again, disappeared again, wandered in, and disappeared,
> and have been back for a fair time at this point. I'm not always mannerly,
> but I try to be! I live a looong way down the street from Melba, but in the
> same part of the world, although Ed and I are moving to
> Colorado---officially 10/1. Ed is responsible for introducing to the world
> "Campbell's" Cream of Lutefisk Soup.
>
> Dang, Carol, I promised that we pass the official
> "first-off-the-assembly-line" cans to you and Gene. We'll get to
> that---unless you're afraid to have them in the house! Now that I think of
> it, they might blow up during transport.
>
> Pam

Nancy Young

"~patches~" > wrote

> I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be considered a
> regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I assume it is a good
> thing?

Well, Damsel is the head trollop, and most of us are charter members.
If she says you can join, you will be 37 years of age forthwith and anon.

nancy

pjjehg

"~patches~" wrote ...
> pjjehg wrote:

lots of snippage
>> BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm one of the original trollops. I

> I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be considered a
> regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I assume it is a good
> thing?

Oh, yes, trollop is good. Just ask Carol (Damsel). She started it, IIRC,
and the rest of us all sang in harmony!!!!! ;-) Barb (Melba), Terry
(Squeaks) ... dang, who all was there at the time? Kay Hartman, Mary
Frye---both coasts were well represented.

BTW, I think I started in '95 or '96 or thereabouts. I'd have to check.

Pam

kr_gentner

"pjjehg" > wrote in message

> Sorry, Kathy, I'm just cranky these days. Please read the other post I
> sent in reply on this thread.
>
> Pam

I hate moving too so you're forgiven for being cranky. Where are you moving
too?

Kathy

Nancy Young

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "~patches~" > wrote
>>

>>>I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be considered a
>>>regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I assume it is a good
>>>thing?

>> Well, Damsel is the head trollop, and most of us are charter members.
>> If she says you can join, you will be 37 years of age forthwith and anon.

> Well I love reading Damsel's posts and I'm over age 37 but enjoying every
> minute of it and I *love* cooking. Do I qualify as a trollop?

I think you more than qualify! You are now 37. Welcome to
the club.

nancy (acting head trollop)

~patches~

Nancy Young wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote
>

>>I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be considered a
>>regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I assume it is a good
>>thing?

> Well, Damsel is the head trollop, and most of us are charter members.
> If she says you can join, you will be 37 years of age forthwith and anon.
>
> nancy

Well I love reading Damsel's posts and I'm over age 37 but enjoying
every minute of it and I *love* cooking. Do I qualify as a trollop?
S'mee in WA

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:

> "~patches~" > wrote
>
> > I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be considered a
> > regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I assume it is a good
> > thing?

> Well, Damsel is the head trollop, and most of us are charter members.
> If she says you can join, you will be 37 years of age forthwith and anon.

Is that all one has to do -- ask Carol? If so, I wanna be a trollop,
even though I am legally married... ;-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, FRPG Gamer, novice cook ~
Nancy Young

"S'mee in WA" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:
>>
>> "~patches~" > wrote
>>
>> > I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be considered
>> > regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I assume it is a
>> > good
>> > thing?

>> Well, Damsel is the head trollop, and most of us are charter members.
>> If she says you can join, you will be 37 years of age forthwith and anon.

> Is that all one has to do -- ask Carol? If so, I wanna be a trollop,
> even though I am legally married... ;-)

Well, that never stopped us. You trollop you! 37 and holding.

nancy

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, ~patches~
> wrote:

> pjjehg wrote:

(snippage)

> > BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm one of the original trollops. I

> I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be
> considered a regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I
> assume it is a good thing?

<cough> Was your mother proud the last time "trollop" was used in her
presence? I'll bet not.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "pjjehg"
> wrote:

> "~patches~" wrote ...
> > pjjehg wrote: lots of snippage
> >> BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm one of the original
> >> trollops. I

> > I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be
> > considered a regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I
> > assume it is a good thing?
> >

> Oh, yes, trollop is good. Just ask Carol (Damsel). She started it,
> IIRC, and the rest of us all sang in harmony!!!!! ;-) Barb (Melba),
> Terry (Squeaks) ... dang, who all was there at the time? Kay
> Hartman, Mary Frye---both coasts were well represented.

I BEG your pardon!? I am NOT a trollop. Never was. Never paid the
membership fee. Don't qualify. Never did. My mom wouldn't let me.
Puh-leeze!! That whirring sound you hear is Mom spinning in her grave
at the very iDEa!

> BTW, I think I started in '95 or '96 or thereabouts. I'd have to
> check.

I think a little later than that. I could be wrong.

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
pjjehg

"kr_gentner" wrote ...
> "pjjehg" wrote in message
>> Sorry, Kathy, I'm just cranky these days. Please read the other post I
>> sent in reply on this thread.
>>
>> Pam
>>

> I hate moving too so you're forgiven for being cranky. Where are you
> moving too?
>
> Kathy

Just west of Colorado Springs, CO---Woodland Park. We're sitting in 4
heavily wooded acres here in the south suburbs of St Paul, MN. In WP, we're
sitting in just over an acre, but right on the edge of Pike's Peak National
Forest with a fine view of Pike's Peak and 250 miles of trails just down the
street. Happy campers we! <When we finally get there!>

Pam

~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>pjjehg wrote:

> (snippage)
>
>>>BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm one of the original trollops. I

>>I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be
>>considered a regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I
>>assume it is a good thing?

> <cough> Was your mother proud the last time "trollop" was used in her
> presence? I'll bet not.

Well now, my mom died when I was 4 days old but the mom who raised me
was a really good sort. She had all these fab recipes stored in here
head never written down that died with her. Pity because she was a damn
fine cook in her own right and canner too. I have a chili sauce that
comes close to hers but still not quite right. I *wish* she had shared
her reciped! She could cook liver and onions worth a hoot though. I
had to get married to enjoy that type of goodie. I doubt she knew what
a trollop was. Putting it politely she would likely be considered a
prude nowadays.

~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "pjjehg"
> > wrote:
>

>>"~patches~" wrote ...
>>
>>>pjjehg wrote: lots of snippage

>>>I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be
>>>considered a regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I
>>>assume it is a good thing?
>>>

>>Oh, yes, trollop is good. Just ask Carol (Damsel). She started it,
>>IIRC, and the rest of us all sang in harmony!!!!! ;-) Barb (Melba),
>>Terry (Squeaks) ... dang, who all was there at the time? Kay
>>Hartman, Mary Frye---both coasts were well represented.

> I BEG your pardon!? I am NOT a trollop. Never was. Never paid the
> membership fee. Don't qualify. Never did. My mom wouldn't let me.
> Puh-leeze!! That whirring sound you hear is Mom spinning in her grave
> at the very iDEa!

Now you really have me thinking about this trollop thing! You have to
ask your mom's permission? Can you qualify if you mom's gone to that
big kitchen in the sky? Spinning in the grave is just not a real good
idea unless the said deceased is pureeing something or making fruit
smoothies. I think there is a cemetery rule to that effect as to noise
after 11 pm

Funny thing, I learned to drive in the local cemetery. My mom never
drove so finally talked a friend into teaching me. The premis was they
were already dead so I couldn't do much harm. Now I do cemetery
stomping for genealogy. I pack a nice lunch then go take photos of
tombstones or rubbings if necessary. Cemeteries are a big part of my
life I'm particularly fond of egg salad sandwiches with a couple of
pickles, a piece of fruit and club soda or plain water for this type of
lunch. I do on occasion like a sandwich made of 12 grain bread, mesclun
mix, ham or turkey, swiss cheese, onions, tomatoes, mayo and just a wee
bit of mustard. I forego the pickle if I make this kind of sandwich but
if having ham like olives. DH is surprised I haven't taken the portable
bbq on these excursions. I swear he has an attitude sometimes but for
the most part he keeps it in check as long as I cook for him

>>BTW, I think I started in '95 or '96 or thereabouts. I'd have to
>>check.

> I think a little later than that. I could be wrong.
>

>>Pam

pjjehg

"Melba's Jammin'"wrote
"pjjehg" wrote:

>> "~patches~" wrote ...
>> > pjjehg wrote: lots of snippage
>> >
>> > I've been posting here long enough that I might remotely be
>> > considered a regular. I still don't know what a trollop is but I
>> > assume it is a good thing?
>> >

>> Oh, yes, trollop is good. Just ask Carol (Damsel). She started it,
>> IIRC, and the rest of us all sang in harmony!!!!! ;-) Barb (Melba),
>> Terry (Squeaks) ... dang, who all was there at the time? Kay
>> Hartman, Mary Frye---both coasts were well represented.

> I BEG your pardon!? I am NOT a trollop. Never was. Never paid the
> membership fee. Don't qualify. Never did. My mom wouldn't let me.
> Puh-leeze!! That whirring sound you hear is Mom spinning in her grave
> at the very iDEa!
>
>> BTW, I think I started in '95 or '96 or thereabouts. I'd have to
>> check.

> I think a little later than that. I could be wrong.
>
>> Pam

Hhmm, I just checked and Google ) puts me March '96.

Pam

Damsel

Nancy Young wrote:
> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> "~patches~" > wrote

> >> Well, Damsel is the head trollop, and most of us are charter members.
> >> If she says you can join, you will be 37 years of age forthwith and anon.

> > Well I love reading Damsel's posts and I'm over age 37 but enjoying every
> > minute of it and I *love* cooking. Do I qualify as a trollop?

> I think you more than qualify! You are now 37. Welcome to
> the club.
>
> nancy (acting head trollop)

Thanks, Nancy! Are you remembering to tap these women on each shoulder
with a spatula? Wanna remain acting head trollop for awhile? I'm
spending most of my time sleeping these days. Probably either a
migraine or a brain tumor. You just never know. <G>

Carol, Head Trollop

Nancy Young

"Damsel" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I think you more than qualify! You are now 37. Welcome to
>> the club.
>>
>> nancy (acting head trollop)

> Thanks, Nancy! Are you remembering to tap these women on each shoulder
> with a spatula? Wanna remain acting head trollop for awhile? I'm
> spending most of my time sleeping these days. Probably either a
> migraine or a brain tumor. You just never know. <G>
>
> Carol, Head Trollop

Geez, I knew I was messing up, no spatula tapping. I tried to get
you but no success. I failed my duties. I'll do better.

I'll be acting head trollop until you feel better. I don't like it, but
that's the way it is.

Have you heard? Barb says she was never a trollop. I almost
fell off my chair. My word.

nancy

Carole Beard

I cannot believe all of these responses, I am sure that most have never
canned, will not add my notes here, altho I have been canning for 40
years. at least

~patches~

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Damsel" > wrote
>

>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>I think you more than qualify! You are now 37. Welcome to
>>>the club.
>>>
>>>nancy (acting head trollop)

>>Thanks, Nancy! Are you remembering to tap these women on each shoulder
>>with a spatula? Wanna remain acting head trollop for awhile? I'm
>>spending most of my time sleeping these days. Probably either a
>>migraine or a brain tumor. You just never know. <G>
>>
>>Carol, Head Trollop

> Geez, I knew I was messing up, no spatula tapping. I tried to get
> you but no success. I failed my duties. I'll do better.
>
> I'll be acting head trollop until you feel better. I don't like it, but
> that's the way it is.
>
> Have you heard? Barb says she was never a trollop. I almost
> fell off my chair. My word.
>
> nancy

No way! Barb was never a trollop???? I never would have guessed.
She's the best jammer around IMO.
Damsel

pjjehg wrote:

> Oh, yes, trollop is good. Just ask Carol (Damsel). She started it, IIRC,
> and the rest of us all sang in harmony!!!!! ;-) Barb (Melba), Terry
> (Squeaks) ... dang, who all was there at the time? Kay Hartman, Mary
> Frye---both coasts were well represented.
>
> BTW, I think I started in '95 or '96 or thereabouts. I'd have to check.

I didn't start reading RFC until February of '97. It was probably that
summer.

Carol

Damsel

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Damsel" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> I think you more than qualify! You are now 37. Welcome to
> >> the club.
> >>
> >> nancy (acting head trollop)

> > Thanks, Nancy! Are you remembering to tap these women on each shoulder
> > with a spatula? Wanna remain acting head trollop for awhile? I'm
> > spending most of my time sleeping these days. Probably either a
> > migraine or a brain tumor. You just never know. <G>
> >
> > Carol, Head Trollop

> Geez, I knew I was messing up, no spatula tapping. I tried to get
> you but no success. I failed my duties. I'll do better.

I should say SO!

> I'll be acting head trollop until you feel better. I don't like it, but
> that's the way it is.

Ask sf. She was acting Head Trollop during one of my sabbaticals.

> Have you heard? Barb says she was never a trollop. I almost
> fell off my chair. My word.

Yeah, we couldn't get her to join for fear of offending her mother.
<sigh>

Now, where's the talk of Stud Muffins??

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> "Damsel" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> I think you more than qualify! You are now 37. Welcome to
> >> the club.
> >>
> >> nancy (acting head trollop)

> > Thanks, Nancy! Are you remembering to tap these women on each shoulder
> > with a spatula? Wanna remain acting head trollop for awhile? I'm
> > spending most of my time sleeping these days. Probably either a
> > migraine or a brain tumor. You just never know. <G>
> >
> > Carol, Head Trollop

> Geez, I knew I was messing up, no spatula tapping. I tried to get
> you but no success. I failed my duties. I'll do better.
>
> I'll be acting head trollop until you feel better. I don't like it, but
> that's the way it is.
>
> Have you heard? Barb says she was never a trollop. I almost
> fell off my chair. My word.
>
> nancy

Well, pick yourself up off the floor, Woman! It's true! I am not now,
nor have I ever been, a trollop. Mom wouldn't let me.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05

canning Carolsue General Cooking 4 07-01-2011 03:35 AM
Anyone doing any canning? Dymphna[_6_] General Cooking 11 08-09-2009 08:28 PM
canning [email protected] Preserving 1 30-08-2008 09:49 PM
canning DarbyDan Preserving 23 27-09-2004 10:10 PM
New to canning Raven Preserving 2 25-06-2004 10:46 PM