Raven

Default New to canning

I'm fairly new at canning. I have a water-bath canner and everything
except a book of recipes. With a handy library, I didn't think a book
was necessary. Here's my problem. I have about 3 lbs of cucumbers
that I want to pickle but all the recipes I have found call for 6 - 9
lbs. Any suggestions?

Raven
Anny Middon

"Raven" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm fairly new at canning. I have a water-bath canner and everything
> except a book of recipes. With a handy library, I didn't think a book
> was necessary. Here's my problem. I have about 3 lbs of cucumbers
> that I want to pickle but all the recipes I have found call for 6 - 9
> lbs. Any suggestions?

Can you just scale the recipe down? That is, if it calls for 6 lbs, cut all
the ingredients in half. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but the
experienced pickle-makers here will I'm sure let you know.

Anny

zxcvbob

Anny Middon wrote:

> "Raven" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I'm fairly new at canning. I have a water-bath canner and everything
>>except a book of recipes. With a handy library, I didn't think a book
>>was necessary. Here's my problem. I have about 3 lbs of cucumbers
>>that I want to pickle but all the recipes I have found call for 6 - 9
>>lbs. Any suggestions?
>>

> Can you just scale the recipe down? That is, if it calls for 6 lbs, cut all
> the ingredients in half. I don't see why this wouldn't work

Yes, you can halve the recipe.

Bob

canning Carolsue General Cooking 4 07-01-2011 03:35 AM
Anyone doing any canning? Dymphna[_6_] General Cooking 11 08-09-2009 08:28 PM
canning [email protected] Preserving 1 30-08-2008 09:49 PM
canning Nancy Lother General Cooking 57 30-09-2005 10:12 PM
canning DarbyDan Preserving 23 27-09-2004 10:10 PM