Reg

Default New Orleans Hurricane

New Orleans Hurricane

1/2 cup ice
2 fluid ounces light rum
2 fluid ounces passion fruit flavored syrup
1 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
1 ounce lime juice
1 fluid ounce rum

In a shaker, combine ice, light rum, passion fruit syrup, lemon-lime
flavored carbonated beverage and lime juice. Shake well and pour
mixture into a Hurricane or other large specialty glass. Float the
regular rum on top of the drink.

Bob

Reg wrote:

> New Orleans Hurricane
>
> 1/2 cup ice
> 2 fluid ounces light rum
> 2 fluid ounces passion fruit flavored syrup
> 1 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
> 1 ounce lime juice
> 1 fluid ounce rum
>
> In a shaker, combine ice, light rum, passion fruit syrup, lemon-lime
> flavored carbonated beverage and lime juice. Shake well and pour
> mixture into a Hurricane or other large specialty glass. Float the
> regular rum on top of the drink.

Feh... Try this one:

1 oz Light Rum
1 oz Dark Rum
1 oz 151 Proof Rum
1/2 oz Amaretto
1 oz Triple Sec
Pineapple Juice
1 splash(es) Grenadine
1 handful(s) Ice

Fill Hurricane glass with ice. Mix alcohol in order and fill the rest of the
glass up with the pineapple juice. Splash on grenadine and mix to a nice
pink color. (You don't have to use plain pineapple juice; you can use a
mixture of pineapple juice with grapefruit and/or orange juice.)

The best Hurricanes I ever had were made at Cobalt, the bar inside the Hotel
Monaco in New Orleans. It saddens me to say that the Hurricanes sold at Pat
O'Brien's (where the drink originated) are vastly inferior.

Bob

Reg

Bob wrote:

> Feh... Try this one:
>
> 1 oz Light Rum
> 1 oz Dark Rum
> 1 oz 151 Proof Rum
> 1/2 oz Amaretto
> 1 oz Triple Sec
> Pineapple Juice
> 1 splash(es) Grenadine
> 1 handful(s) Ice

That looks much better!

We've got all that except light rum. I think we'll just go with
100% dark.

Thanks Bob, we'll serve that one tonight instead.

Bronwyn

I think the residents of NOLA will need more than this drink to
withstand Hurricane Katrina....
Our thoughts and prayers are with those who are in the region to stay
safe. It sounds a frightening prospect if it crosses the coast near
built up communities.
Worried,
Bronwyn
Oz

Bob

Bronwyn wrote:

> I think the residents of NOLA will need more than this drink to
> withstand Hurricane Katrina....
> Our thoughts and prayers are with those who are in the region to stay
> safe. It sounds a frightening prospect if it crosses the coast near
> built up communities.
> Worried,
> Bronwyn
> Oz

Some very good friends of mine live in New Orleans. Last I heard, they'd
abandoned their one-story house and were taking refuge in the third-story
apartment of some other friends, but they hadn't evacuated.

*sigh* ...and these are SMART people! Just goes to show the difference
between intelligence and wisdom.

On an unrelated note, Bronwyn, looking at the RFC map, I think you might
live near my brother. How far are you from Lennox Head?

Bob

Gabby

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Bronwyn wrote:
>
>> I think the residents of NOLA will need more than this drink to
>> withstand Hurricane Katrina....
>> Our thoughts and prayers are with those who are in the region to stay
>> safe. It sounds a frightening prospect if it crosses the coast near
>> built up communities.
>> Worried,
>> Bronwyn
>> Oz

> Some very good friends of mine live in New Orleans. Last I heard, they'd
> abandoned their one-story house and were taking refuge in the third-story
> apartment of some other friends, but they hadn't evacuated.
>
> *sigh* ...and these are SMART people! Just goes to show the difference
> between intelligence and wisdom.

One of the officials is quoted as saying, "The die hards are going to die
hard."

Gabby

Puester

Gabby wrote

> One of the officials is quoted as saying, "The die hards are going to die
> hard."
>
> Gabby

We still own a small waterfront lot near Cape Cod that my parents bought
from an estate just after the infamous '39 hurricane. The former owner
was killed when (after evacuating) he drove back down to the house to
retrieve his forgotten wallet. He was caught in a huge wave. All of
the houses along the beach were washed away, as they were also in
hurricanes Carol, Diane, and ?, of 1954, '56, and 60.

After the '60 hurricane, my parents got smarter and built a small
retirement house up on the hill across the salt marsh (all of 8 ft.
above sea level.) We've had basement flooding there, but no hurricane
damage. Hurricanes haven't packed much of a punch once they reach New
England in recent years.

gloria p
Bronwyn

G'day Bob
Lennox Head is just over an hour's drive away, south down the coast.
And a pretty little coastal town it is too. Very *big* on the surfing
map too<g>. Lucky brother. If you come visit, we'll have a rfc
cook-up.
Cheers
Bronwyn