Melba's Jammin'

Default Recipe: Barb Schaller's Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies

By popular demand . . .
Modesty doesn't become me. I just took these out of the oven for
tomorrow's tv pitch. And I measured along the way. I so good.* They
are, of course, based on the Girl Brownies.

8/26/05 Blue Ribbon Brownies
*
*
Friday, August 26, 2005

I've been asked to provide the recipe for my Chocolate Cherry Amaretto
Brownies, 2004 Minnesota State Fair blue ribbon winner. Oh, yeah!

Enjoy them and remember where you got the recipe, eh?

Barb Schaller's Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies
2004 State Fair Blue Ribbon Winner
© Barbara Schaller 2005

1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup (2 sticks, 8 oz) unsalted butter
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp Amaretto di Saronno liqueur
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup Gedney State Fair Cherry Preserves (Barb Schaller's recipe)
1 cup toasted walnuts
1-1/2 cups cake flour (6-1/2 ounces, ~170g)
1 tsp baking powder

Move oven rack to middle of oven. Line a metal 9x13" baking pan with
parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350° F.

Chop the cherries in a food processor or with great skill and a sharp
knife; set aside.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a 2-quart microwave safe glass mixing
pitcher, about two minutes at full power. Stir to melt chocolate
completely and stir in cocoa powder.

Whisk in Amaretto, almond and vanilla extracts, salt, and sugar. Whisk
in the eggs, one at a time. Add the Cherry Preserves, the reserved
chopped dried cherries, walnuts, and mix well.

Combine the flour and baking powder and whisk into chocolate mixture
until no white flour remains. Pour into parchment-lined baking pan and
bake at 350° for about 33-35 minutes, using a toothpick to test for
doneness. Fudgy crumbs are okay, wet batter on the pick is not.

When done, remove from oven and set pan on a cooling rack to cool for
about 15 minutes. Remove brownies from pan to finish cooling: tilt pan
and quickly slip the brownies from the pan using the parchment to lift
and pull them out. You should be able to do this without wrecking the
brownies.

When completely cooled, frost with your favorite chocolate icing to
which 1/3 cup Gedney Cherry Preserves and 2-3 Tbsp Amaretto di Saronna
liqueur have been added. Lick the bowl of any remains! Cut into 12-24
pieces, depending on your lust for chocolate and cherry! Store covered
at room temperature for a day or two (if they last that long) or freeze
for later enjoyment.

Notes: Yes, I do use unsalted butter, cake flour, real almond extract,
and a flat wire whisk for mixing. If you don't, don't complain to me
about it. In fact, don't complain to me anyway! "-)

And I do hope you will enjoy these as much as we and the Fair Judging
staff did! A cup of good coffee or an icy cold glass of milk will only
enhance the experience. Oh, baby; oh, baby.

Dobru' chut'! (The Slovak equivalent of "Enjoy!")

Thanks for looking! I may have pictures later. Or I may not.

-Barb Schaller, Burnsville, Minnesota
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Andy

Barb,

Got a talent agent yet?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> By popular demand . . .
> Modesty doesn't become me. I just took these out of the oven for
> tomorrow's tv pitch. And I measured along the way. I so good. They
> are, of course, based on the Girl Brownies.
>

> 8/26/05 Blue Ribbon Brownies
> <SNIP>

Barb, although I'm expecting the FedEx arrival of lots of "seewties"
soon, this is one recipe for immediate print. I quite likely will be
making take-home plates of a dozen each for my Marines come Christmas.
Once they've had these, I can just hear them in February.... "Miss
Jeanine, is it Christmas yet?"

....Picky

Ugh! Try sweeties there....JA

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"..." > wrote:

> Ugh! Try sweeties there....JA

I figured! LOL!! You're a treat, Miss Jeanine! God bless you!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Andy <Q>
wrote:

> Barb,
>
> Got a talent agent yet?

I'm independent.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Sheryl Rosen

Barb,
I'm curious about the use of both cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate.
Does that deepen the chocolate flavor?

America's Test Kitchen does something similar, using a combo of unsweetened
chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder.

I'm just curious what the effect is.

Of course, everyone loves my brownies the way they are, I'm afraid to change
it (and they seem to be something of a good luck charm to the baseball
team...) but an improvement might be fun to try!
Thanks

Melba's Jammin' at wrote on 8/26/05 4:13 PM:

> [...]
>
> When completely cooled, frost with your favorite chocolate icing to
> which 1/3 cup Gedney Cherry Preserves and 2-3 Tbsp Amaretto di Saronna
> liqueur have been added. Lick the bowl of any remains! Cut into 12-24
> pieces, depending on your lust for chocolate and cherry! Store covered
> at room temperature for a day or two (if they last that long) or freeze
> for later enjoyment.
>
> Notes: Yes, I do use unsalted butter, cake flour, real almond extract,
> and a flat wire whisk for mixing. If you don't, don't complain to me
> about it. In fact, don't complain to me anyway! "-)
>
> And I do hope you will enjoy these as much as we and the Fair Judging
> staff did! A cup of good coffee or an icy cold glass of milk will only
> enhance the experience. Oh, baby; oh, baby.
>
> Dobru' chut'! (The Slovak equivalent of "Enjoy!")
>
> Thanks for looking! I may have pictures later. Or I may not.

---
Love like you've never been hurt
Live like there's no tomorrow
And dance like there's nobody watching

Margaret Suran

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Barb,
> I'm curious about the use of both cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate.
> Does that deepen the chocolate flavor?
>
> America's Test Kitchen does something similar, using a combo of unsweetened
> chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder.
>
> I'm just curious what the effect is.
>
> Of course, everyone loves my brownies the way they are, I'm afraid to change
> it (and they seem to be something of a good luck charm to the baseball
> team...) but an improvement might be fun to try!
> Thanks

I do the same thing now. Last year or the year before, one of the
exhibitors at the New York Chocolate Show had samples of chocolate
brownies and they tasted especially chocolaty. I asked him how come
and he told me that he had used Callebeau unsweetened chocolate and
said that he also added a few tablespoons of unsweetened chocolate
powder, to enhance the flavor. I didn't ask, but I assumed he meant
Callebeau Chocolate powder, which I have not been able to find. I use
Ghiradelli, which is the only one I can find. It really makes a
difference in the flavor, especially with boxed Brownie Mix, which is
always much too sweet.
Segue

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> I've been asked to provide the recipe for my Chocolate Cherry Amaretto
> Brownies, 2004 Minnesota State Fair blue ribbon winner. Oh, yeah!
>
> Enjoy them and remember where you got the recipe, eh?
>
> Barb Schaller's Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies

These look fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

> 1/2 cup Gedney State Fair Cherry Preserves (Barb Schaller's recipe)

Please can you share this one??!

Thanks,

Segue

jake

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
>> Barb,
>> I'm curious about the use of both cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate.
>> Does that deepen the chocolate flavor?
>>
>> America's Test Kitchen does something similar, using a combo of
>> unsweetened
>> chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder.
>>
>> I'm just curious what the effect is.
>>
>> Of course, everyone loves my brownies the way they are, I'm afraid to
>> change
>> it (and they seem to be something of a good luck charm to the baseball
>> team...) but an improvement might be fun to try!
>> Thanks
>>

> I do the same thing now. Last year or the year before, one of the
> exhibitors at the New York Chocolate Show had samples of chocolate
> brownies and they tasted especially chocolaty. I asked him how come and
> he told me that he had used Callebeau unsweetened chocolate and said
> that he also added a few tablespoons of unsweetened chocolate powder, to
> enhance the flavor. I didn't ask, but I assumed he meant Callebeau
> Chocolate powder, which I have not been able to find. I use Ghiradelli,
> which is the only one I can find.

I believe it is spelled Callebaut and is made in Belgium. Very good
quality, used by bakers. Valrhona (French) is another brand bakers used
(and even more expensive, iirc). When you can't get that, any good brand
of 70% chocolate should work. Anyting that doens't have too much sugar
nor too many additives, really.

It really makes a difference in the
> flavor, especially with boxed Brownie Mix, which is always much too sweet.

Sheryl Rosen

TammyM at wrote on 8/27/05 4:07 PM:

> Whaddya think about frangelico 'steadathe amaretto? Hmmm. May just
> give it a shot....
>
> TammyM

If you do Frangelico, use broken hazelnuts instead of almonds.
I don't think of cherry and hazelnuts together--cherries and almond, yes.
What fruit goes with hazelnuts? Hmmm....Dunno.
Might be good with cherries.

I dunno...when it comes to brownies, I am a purist. I don't want cherries, I
don't almond flavoring, I don't want coffee flavoring...I don't even want
PEANUT BUTTER! And I LOVE peanut butter with chocolate!!!!

I just want pure, deep, rich chocolate flavor, unadulterated by anything but
the occasional crunch of a toasted walnut or pecan!

I love chocolate, but not in EVERYTHING. I prefer vanilla ice cream, in
fact, but chocolate accents are good (fudge swirl, chocolate candies, choc.
covered nuts, etc). I don't like chocolate in pancakes or muffins. I don't
like chocolate chips in banana bread. I don't really like chocolate milk or
hot cocoa, either. When I crave chocolate, it's not just the flavor I crave,
it's the texture, I think. too. Fudgy brownies are probably my very favorite
way to eat chocolate. Followed closely by chocolate candy...like a
Hershey's Kiss, or a chocolate bar with almonds, I'm very big on pure
chocolate plus either some kind of nuts or peanut butter. Chocolate plus ONE
thing. Nuts. OR peanut butter. OR coconut. Or cookie of some sort (like a
Kit Kat) Or Caramel. Ok, exceptions to this would be a Snickers, or one of
those new Take 5 bars (wow, if that wasn't invented by a woman with PMS I
don't know what was!!!! Salty pretzel, topped with sweet caramel, peanut
butter, chopped peanuts for more salt and crunch, all topped off with a
layer of rich milk chocolate! Salty, sweet and crunchy all in one!!!). And
Almond Joy. But otherwise, I tend to go simple when it comes to chocolate.

This seems to be more and more as I get older. I also no longer like
"everything" pizza. I'm more appreciative now of a single topping (two at
the most, because I'm indecisive) pizza.

Anyway, I wouldn't turn down one of Barb's amazing Chocolate Cherry
Amaretto Brownies, I'm certain they would be delicious. I know I would like
them. But I'd probably have just one and go back to the basic boy brownies.
(with nuts). I just feel like brownies with walnuts are perfect without all
the other stuff.
---
Love like you've never been hurt
Live like there's no tomorrow
And dance like there's nobody watching

zxcvbob

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> TammyM at wrote on 8/27/05 4:07 PM:
>

>>Whaddya think about frangelico 'steadathe amaretto? Hmmm. May just
>>give it a shot....
>>
>>TammyM

> If you do Frangelico, use broken hazelnuts instead of almonds.
> I don't think of cherry and hazelnuts together--cherries and almond, yes.
> What fruit goes with hazelnuts? Hmmm....Dunno.
> Might be good with cherries.
>
> I dunno...when it comes to brownies, I am a purist. I don't want cherries, I
> don't almond flavoring, I don't want coffee flavoring...I don't even want
> PEANUT BUTTER! And I LOVE peanut butter with chocolate!!!!
>
> I just want pure, deep, rich chocolate flavor, unadulterated by anything but
> the occasional crunch of a toasted walnut or pecan!
>
> I love chocolate, but not in EVERYTHING. I prefer vanilla ice cream, in
> fact, but chocolate accents are good (fudge swirl, chocolate candies, choc.
> covered nuts, etc). I don't like chocolate in pancakes or muffins. I don't
> like chocolate chips in banana bread. I don't really like chocolate milk or
> hot cocoa, either. When I crave chocolate, it's not just the flavor I crave,
> it's the texture, I think. too. Fudgy brownies are probably my very favorite
> way to eat chocolate. Followed closely by chocolate candy...like a
> Hershey's Kiss, or a chocolate bar with almonds, I'm very big on pure
> chocolate plus either some kind of nuts or peanut butter. Chocolate plus ONE
> thing. Nuts. OR peanut butter. OR coconut. Or cookie of some sort (like a
> Kit Kat) Or Caramel. Ok, exceptions to this would be a Snickers, or one of
> those new Take 5 bars (wow, if that wasn't invented by a woman with PMS I
> don't know what was!!!! Salty pretzel, topped with sweet caramel, peanut
> butter, chopped peanuts for more salt and crunch, all topped off with a
> layer of rich milk chocolate! Salty, sweet and crunchy all in one!!!). And
> Almond Joy. But otherwise, I tend to go simple when it comes to chocolate.
>
> This seems to be more and more as I get older. I also no longer like
> "everything" pizza. I'm more appreciative now of a single topping (two at
> the most, because I'm indecisive) pizza.
>
> Anyway, I wouldn't turn down one of Barb's amazing Chocolate Cherry
> Amaretto Brownies, I'm certain they would be delicious. I know I would like
> them. But I'd probably have just one and go back to the basic boy brownies.
> (with nuts). I just feel like brownies with walnuts are perfect without all
> the other stuff.

I made a big pan of brownies this early morning -- before I had any
coffee or anything. As I was taking them out of the oven, I saw the
bottle of vanilla extract (imitation) on the counter and realized I had
left it out. The brownies were good anyway, but they would have been a
lot better with the vanilla.

I made the batter without nuts, then sprinkled chopped walnuts over half
the pan and smoothed them in a little with the rubber spatula. That way
I had both boy brownies and girl brownies with just one batch.

Bob
Chris

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message

> I dunno...when it comes to brownies, I am a purist. I don't want
> cherries, I
> don't almond flavoring, I don't want coffee flavoring...I don't even
> want
> PEANUT BUTTER! And I LOVE peanut butter with chocolate!!!!
>
> I just want pure, deep, rich chocolate flavor, unadulterated by
> anything but
> the occasional crunch of a toasted walnut or pecan!
>
> I love chocolate, but not in EVERYTHING. I prefer vanilla ice cream,
> in
> fact, but chocolate accents are good (fudge swirl, chocolate candies,
> choc.
> covered nuts, etc). I don't like chocolate in pancakes or muffins. I
> don't
> like chocolate chips in banana bread. I don't really like chocolate
> milk or
> hot cocoa, either. When I crave chocolate, it's not just the flavor I
> crave,
> it's the texture, I think. too. Fudgy brownies are probably my very
> favorite
> way to eat chocolate.

My sentiments almost exactly, Sheryl. I do like a good chocolate
birthday cake with chocolate frosting (in fact, I prefer it over white
or yellow cake), but am not one for fancy-schmancy decadent
Death-By-Chocolate type desserts.

But it is fun to read about Barb's new blue ribbon winners, and I'd
*love* to taste them!

Chris

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 27 Aug 2005 07:19:59p, Sheryl Rosen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> TammyM at wrote on 8/27/05 4:07 PM:
>

>> Whaddya think about frangelico 'steadathe amaretto? Hmmm. May just
>> give it a shot....
>>
>> TammyM

> If you do Frangelico, use broken hazelnuts instead of almonds.
> I don't think of cherry and hazelnuts together--cherries and almond,
> yes. What fruit goes with hazelnuts? Hmmm....Dunno.
> Might be good with cherries.
>
> I dunno...when it comes to brownies, I am a purist. I don't want
> cherries, I don't almond flavoring, I don't want coffee flavoring...I
> don't even want PEANUT BUTTER! And I LOVE peanut butter with
> chocolate!!!!
>
> I just want pure, deep, rich chocolate flavor, unadulterated by anything
> but the occasional crunch of a toasted walnut or pecan!
>
> I love chocolate, but not in EVERYTHING. I prefer vanilla ice cream, in
> fact, but chocolate accents are good (fudge swirl, chocolate candies,
> choc. covered nuts, etc). I don't like chocolate in pancakes or
> muffins. I don't like chocolate chips in banana bread. I don't really
> like chocolate milk or hot cocoa, either. When I crave chocolate, it's
> not just the flavor I crave, it's the texture, I think. too. Fudgy
> brownies are probably my very favorite way to eat chocolate. Followed
> closely by chocolate candy...like a Hershey's Kiss, or a chocolate bar
> with almonds, I'm very big on pure chocolate plus either some kind of
> nuts or peanut butter. Chocolate plus ONE thing. Nuts. OR peanut butter.
> OR coconut. Or cookie of some sort (like a Kit Kat) Or Caramel. Ok,
> exceptions to this would be a Snickers, or one of those new Take 5 bars
> (wow, if that wasn't invented by a woman with PMS I don't know what
> was!!!! Salty pretzel, topped with sweet caramel, peanut butter, chopped
> peanuts for more salt and crunch, all topped off with a layer of rich
> milk chocolate! Salty, sweet and crunchy all in one!!!). And Almond
> Joy. But otherwise, I tend to go simple when it comes to chocolate.
>
> This seems to be more and more as I get older. I also no longer like
> "everything" pizza. I'm more appreciative now of a single topping (two
> at the most, because I'm indecisive) pizza.
>
> Anyway, I wouldn't turn down one of Barb's amazing Chocolate Cherry
> Amaretto Brownies, I'm certain they would be delicious. I know I would
> like them. But I'd probably have just one and go back to the basic boy
> brownies. (with nuts). I just feel like brownies with walnuts are
> perfect without all the other stuff.

Quite a few folks may share your preferences, Sheryl, myself included. I
might want to eat one of those Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies, but I
wouldn't want a pan full. Still, I applaud Barb's efforts and innovative
experiments and, for her at least, it certainly pays off.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
sf

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:22:44 GMT, Chris wrote:

> My sentiments almost exactly, Sheryl. I do like a good chocolate
> birthday cake with chocolate frosting (in fact, I prefer it over white
> or yellow cake), but am not one for fancy-schmancy decadent
> Death-By-Chocolate type desserts.

I'm just the opposite. I can take or leave cake, but give me a
chocolate decadence ASAP and I'll put it out of its misery.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 12:09:55a, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:22:44 GMT, Chris wrote:
>
>> My sentiments almost exactly, Sheryl. I do like a good chocolate
>> birthday cake with chocolate frosting (in fact, I prefer it over white
>> or yellow cake), but am not one for fancy-schmancy decadent
>> Death-By-Chocolate type desserts.

> I'm just the opposite. I can take or leave cake, but give me a
> chocolate decadence ASAP and I'll put it out of its misery.

I'd much rather have a pie any day than a cake, although I do like some
"specialty" cakes. Our family had some traditional cakes that are rarely
made today; Amalgamation Cake, Lord Baltimore and Lady Baltimore Cakes,
Fresh Coconut Cake (unlike any other I've ever had), and Fresh Orange Cake.
All of those are labor intensive and I rarely make them.

Wellesley Fudge Cake and Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake are
my two favorite chocolate cakes, and they're easy to make.

Pies of almost any type; fresh fruit, chocolate, banana, and coconut cream
pies, chess pie, pecan pie, etc. To me, all pies are easy to make.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
-L.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I'd much rather have a pie any day than a cake, although I do like some
> "specialty" cakes.

Smae here. Cake? Ho hum!

> Our family had some traditional cakes that are rarely
> made today; Amalgamation Cake, Lord Baltimore and Lady Baltimore Cakes,

Ok, what are these?

> Fresh Coconut Cake (unlike any other I've ever had),

Sounds delicioso!

> and Fresh Orange Cake.
> All of those are labor intensive and I rarely make them.
>
> Wellesley Fudge Cake and Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake are
> my two favorite chocolate cakes, and they're easy to make.
>
> Pies of almost any type; fresh fruit, chocolate, banana, and coconut cream
> pies, chess pie, pecan pie, etc. To me, all pies are easy to make.

What is chess pie?

I would take a piece of pie - any kind - over any cake except for maybe
Carrot (a good home-made one with walnuts and lots of spice) or Italian
Wedding Cake. Other than that, I don't care if I ever eat cake.

Cookies, OTOH...

-L.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 12:39:02a, -L. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> I'd much rather have a pie any day than a cake, although I do like some
>> "specialty" cakes.

> Smae here. Cake? Ho hum!
>
>> Our family had some traditional cakes that are rarely made today;
>> Amalgamation Cake, Lord Baltimore and Lady Baltimore Cakes,

> Ok, what are these?

First off, these are typically Southern cakes, the cake layers themselves
rather simple white or yellow cake. The unique quality of each is
dependent on the rich fillings.

Amalgamation Cake is made with white cake layers, the rich filling is made
with egg yolks, sugar, butter, and obscene amounts of coarsely chopped
pecans, raisins, and coconut. The frosting is like an Italian meringue,
made with just egg whites, sugar, and water.

Lord Baltimore cake is made with yellow cake layers. The filling and
frosting is, again, rather like an Italian meringue, with the additions of
orange juice, lemon juice, quartered candied cherries, crumbled macaroons,
coarsely chopped pecans, and coarsely chopped blanched almonds.

Lady Baltimore cake is made with white cake layers. The filling and
frosting, once again, is rather like an Italian meringue, with the
additions of chopped pecans, chopped figs, raisins, candied cherries, and
candied pineapple, all cut in small pieces.

>> Fresh Coconut Cake (unlike any other I've ever had),

> Sounds delicioso!

The fresh coconut cakes my grandmothers and mother made used yellow cake
layers. The filling is actually a rather soupy mess made with the grated
flesh of two fresh coconuts, sugar, whole milk, and a dozen or so whole
standard size marshmallows. The mixture is cooked slowly at first to melt
the marshmallows, then cooked at higher heat for a few minutes until very
slightly thickened. The cake is baked in 4 layers and stacked
alternatively with generous spoonings of the hot filling. The filling
layers are a good 3/8" thick of very moist coconut, and the syrup soaks
into the cake layers making a very moist cake. The frosting, once again,
is like an Italian meringue.

All the above cakes are baked in 4 layers.

>> and Fresh Orange Cake.
>> All of those are labor intensive and I rarely make them.
>>
>> Wellesley Fudge Cake and Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake
>> are my two favorite chocolate cakes, and they're easy to make.
>>
>> Pies of almost any type; fresh fruit, chocolate, banana, and coconut
>> cream pies, chess pie, pecan pie, etc. To me, all pies are easy to
>> make.

> What is chess pie?

Chess pie is sometimes referred to as Transparent Custard Pie, but it is
far richer than a regular egg custard pie. The recipe I use contains a
stick of butter, 2 cups sugar, 6 egg yolks, and cream or evaporated milk,
and a spoonful each of flour and cornmeal. It's a killer!

> I would take a piece of pie - any kind - over any cake except for maybe
> Carrot (a good home-made one with walnuts and lots of spice) or Italian
> Wedding Cake. Other than that, I don't care if I ever eat cake.

I love Italian Wedding Cake if it's a good one. Some bakeries are making
poor imitations these days. I used to love carrot cake, but I must have
had a few pieces that weren't very good, as I don't care for it much
anymore.

> Cookies, OTOH...

Oh, don't get me started on cookies! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> What is chess pie?

> Chess pie is sometimes referred to as Transparent Custard Pie, but it is
> far richer than a regular egg custard pie. The recipe I use contains a
> stick of butter, 2 cups sugar, 6 egg yolks, and cream or evaporated milk,
> and a spoonful each of flour and cornmeal. It's a killer!
>

>> I would take a piece of pie - any kind - over any cake except for maybe
>> Carrot (a good home-made one with walnuts and lots of spice) or Italian
>> Wedding Cake. Other than that, I don't care if I ever eat cake.

> I love Italian Wedding Cake if it's a good one. Some bakeries are making
> poor imitations these days. I used to love carrot cake, but I must have
> had a few pieces that weren't very good, as I don't care for it much
> anymore.
>
>> Cookies, OTOH...

> Oh, don't get me started on cookies! :-)

Three things I usually don't prepare within a 6-month period: Pie, Cake, and
Cookies. I'm always picking up packages of them at the grocery/Costco/BJ's
and setting them down after I look at the ingredients, saying, "I can make
them if I want them," not wanting to eat the hydrogentated oils. About the
only thing I've bought in the last year has been Costco's Palmier leaf
cookies (all butter) and the Bon-something chocolate brownies (just couldn't
resist any longer.) They probably have oil in them. Haven't bought a
second package though.
I love pie, cake and cookies, but I have no self-control.
Dee Dee

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Segue"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> > I've been asked to provide the recipe for my Chocolate Cherry Amaretto
> > Brownies, 2004 Minnesota State Fair blue ribbon winner. Oh, yeah!
> >
> > Enjoy them and remember where you got the recipe, eh?
> >
> > Barb Schaller's Blue Ribbon Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies

> These look fabulous! Thanks for sharing!
>
> > 1/2 cup Gedney State Fair Cherry Preserves (Barb Schaller's recipe)

> Please can you share this one??!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Segue

It's a commercial product, made from my recipe, by the M.A. Gedney
Company, Chaska, MN.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 05:37:46a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

>> must have had a few pieces that weren't very good, as I don't care for
>> it much anymore.
>>
>>> Cookies, OTOH...

>> Oh, don't get me started on cookies! :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Three things I usually don't prepare within a 6-month period: Pie, Cake,
> and Cookies. I'm always picking up packages of them at the
> grocery/Costco/BJ's and setting them down after I look at the
> ingredients, saying, "I can make them if I want them," not wanting to
> eat the hydrogentated oils. About the only thing I've bought in the
> last year has been Costco's Palmier leaf cookies (all butter) and the
> Bon-something chocolate brownies (just couldn't resist any longer.)
> They probably have oil in them. Haven't bought a second package
> though. I love pie, cake and cookies, but I have no self-control.

Always remember, A Pie is a Serving! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
(serious snipped)

> > brownies. (with nuts). I just feel like brownies with walnuts are
> > perfect without all the other stuff.

> Quite a few folks may share your preferences, Sheryl, myself included. I
> might want to eat one of those Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies, but I
> wouldn't want a pan full. Still, I applaud Barb's efforts and innovative
> experiments and, for her at least, it certainly pays off.

That's rich. I'll get $6.00 for first place. In this particular case,
I know that that doesn't cover the cost of the ingredients, much less
petrol for hauling them to the fairgrounds. Good thing I don't do it
for the money.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
this evening, 8/27/05.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
(serious snippage)
> I made a big pan of brownies this early morning -- before I had any
> coffee or anything. As I was taking them out of the oven, I saw the
> bottle of vanilla extract (imitation) on the counter and realized I had
> left it out. The brownies were good anyway, but they would have been a
> lot better with the vanilla.
>
> I made the batter without nuts, then sprinkled chopped walnuts over half
> the pan and smoothed them in a little with the rubber spatula. That way
> I had both boy brownies and girl brownies with just one batch.
>
> Bob

LOL! Bob, you and I think too much alike sometimes! When I was baking
Fair brownies last Sunday morning at 0-dark-hundred, I considered doing
exactly that -- I have to provide them with four pieces (about 1/6 of a
pan) and I thought I could do both the Plain Brownies and the Chocolate
Brownies with Nuts and/or Frosting in the same pan and get away with it.
Then I decided to futz with the latter entry and that's how the CCAB
came about. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
this evening, 8/27/05.
Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 28 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> > Three things I usually don't prepare within a 6-month period: Pie,
> > Cake, and Cookies. I'm always picking up packages of them at the
> > grocery/Costco/BJ's and setting them down after I look at the
> > ingredients, saying, "I can make them if I want them," not wanting
> > to eat the hydrogentated oils. About the only thing I've bought
> > in the last year has been Costco's Palmier leaf cookies (all
> > butter) and the Bon-something chocolate brownies (just couldn't
> > resist any longer.) They probably have oil in them. Haven't
> > bought a second package though. I love pie, cake and cookies, but
> > I have no self-control. Dee Dee

> Always remember, A Pie is a Serving! :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
> unless there are three other people.

Wayne...on triming posts....you're back sliding...Please trim.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 06:08:28a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Quite a few folks may share your preferences, Sheryl, myself included. I
>> might want to eat one of those Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies, but I
>> wouldn't want a pan full. Still, I applaud Barb's efforts and innovative
>> experiments and, for her at least, it certainly pays off.

> That's rich. I'll get $6.00 for first place. In this particular case,
> I know that that doesn't cover the cost of the ingredients, much less
> petrol for hauling them to the fairgrounds. Good thing I don't do it
> for the money.

Barb, you know I didn't mean "for the money". I guess one could say, "What
price a ribbon?", blue or otherwise. You've many accomplishments, and you've
probably been amply rewarded in every way but money. Congratulations are
always in order.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:24:31a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne...on triming posts....you're back sliding...Please trim.

Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the original
content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny how only a few are
worthy of "warnings".

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 28 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:24:31a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Wayne...on triming posts....you're back sliding...Please trim.

> Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the
> original content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny
> how only a few are worthy of "warnings".

Only a few are worth reading.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 10:02:24a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 28 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:24:31a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > Wayne...on triming posts....you're back sliding...Please trim.

>> Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the
>> original content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny
>> how only a few are worthy of "warnings".
>>

> Only a few are worth reading.

Thanks, Alan, I think. :-) I'll try to do better.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:24:31a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne...on triming posts....you're back sliding...Please trim.

> Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the
> original
> content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny how only a
> few are
> worthy of "warnings".

Yes I am one of the advantaged few too)

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 10:31:31a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:24:31a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne...on triming posts....you're back sliding...Please trim.

>> Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the
>> original content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny how
>> only a few are
>> worthy of "warnings".

> Yes I am one of the advantaged few too)

Good fortune smiles on us! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
sf

On 28 Aug 2005 09:30:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I'd much rather have a pie any day than a cake, although I do like some
> "specialty" cakes.

My grandmother used to laugh because I was the only kid she knew who
asked for a birthday pie.
S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 10:31:31a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:24:31a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
> >> rec.food.cooking:

> >> Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the
> >> original content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny how
> >> only a few are worthy of "warnings".

> > Yes I am one of the advantaged few too)

> Good fortune smiles on us! :-)

You could look at it this way -- someone is reading your posts and
cares about how you do Usenet. Better than being ignored... :-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 11:03:20a, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 28 Aug 2005 09:30:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I'd much rather have a pie any day than a cake, although I do like some
>> "specialty" cakes.

> My grandmother used to laugh because I was the only kid she knew who
> asked for a birthday pie.

Oh, me too! If there was a party where people would expect a birthday cake,
there was a cake, but there was also a pie for me, usually cherry.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 11:13:28a, S'mee [AKA Jani] wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:

>> > Yes I am one of the advantaged few too)

>> Good fortune smiles on us! :-)

> You could look at it this way -- someone is reading your posts and
> cares about how you do Usenet. Better than being ignored... :-)

Thanks, Jani. I did take it that way after I read Alan's second post.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:24:31a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Wayne...on triming posts....you're back sliding...Please trim.

> Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the
> original content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny
> how only a few are worthy of "warnings".

Maybe because we often select whose we'll read based on who is the
poster. I read your posts; I don't read most and don't see the other
offenders.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
this evening, 8/27/05.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 11:40:04a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>> Ok, fine. But there are often plenty of other posts here where the
>> original content is but a fraction of the total line count. Funny
>> how only a few are worthy of "warnings".

> Maybe because we often select whose we'll read based on who is the
> poster. I read your posts; I don't read most and don't see the other
> offenders.

Thank you, Barb. Understood.

BTW, unrelated, but have you every thought of doing a photo board of all your
ribbons together? I think that would be super. Maybe too many for one
board, but you could do one each for blue, red, etc. I think everyone would
love to see them on your site.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
TammyM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:09:55 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:22:44 GMT, Chris wrote:
>
>> My sentiments almost exactly, Sheryl. I do like a good chocolate
>> birthday cake with chocolate frosting (in fact, I prefer it over white
>> or yellow cake), but am not one for fancy-schmancy decadent
>> Death-By-Chocolate type desserts.

>I'm just the opposite. I can take or leave cake, but give me a
>chocolate decadence ASAP and I'll put it out of its misery.

I don't even know what chocolate decadence is. Am I deprived?

I generally prefer other things to chocolate desserts. I like
vanilla-based ice cream. I prefer fruit pies. Fave cake is carrot
cake. I like a bit of chocolate in candy form though, like REALLY
good dark chocolate or Kay's truffles, and brownies are deeeeeee-vine.

TammyM