Pandora

Default wild boar

I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
you cook.
In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled polenta
is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
Cheers
Pandora

*JimH*

"Pandora" > wrote in message
>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
>you cook.
> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
> polenta is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta
> (Fettuccine, ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
> Cheers
> Pandora

In my best Bubba voice (Forrest Gump)............wild boar kabobs, wild boar
and shrimp, wild boar grilled, wild boar cooked, breaded wild boar, deep
fried wild boar, marinated wild boar, sun dried wild boar, zesty wild
boar.................................. :-)

Yes, there are wild boar in the US but it is something not normally on the
menu.

I would imagine it tastes like pork but gamey.....is that correct?

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
> you cook.
> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled polenta
> is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
> ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
> Cheers
> Pandora

Yes, there are both feral (domestic) wild pigs and true wild boars known
as "Javalina". I know they are around here but I've never tried it. :-)
--
Om.

Pandora

"*JimH*" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
>>how you cook.
>> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
>> polenta is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta
>> (Fettuccine, ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> In my best Bubba voice (Forrest Gump)............

What is Bubba voice?

wild boar kabobs,
wild boar and shrimp,

I don't think that you can eat wild boar with shrimps !!!!)))

wild boar grilled, wild boar cooked,
breaded wild boar,

Breaded WB?

deep
> fried wild boar, marinated wild boar, sun dried wild boar, zesty wild
> boar.................................. :-)
>
> Yes, there are wild boar in the US but it is something not normally on the
> menu.

Here you can find Wb on the mountains menu.

> I would imagine it tastes like pork but gamey.....is that correct?

I don't know what "gamey" does mean?
Cheers
pandora

Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
>> I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
>> how
>> you cook.
>> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
>> polenta
>> is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>> ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> Yes, there are both feral (domestic) wild pigs and true wild boars known
> as "Javalina". I know they are around here but I've never tried it. :-)

Ohhh! It is a very pity! You don't know what you loose.
We often use wild boar salami. Very good taste!
Cheers
Pandora

*JimH*

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "*JimH*" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
>>>how you cook.
>>> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
>>> polenta is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta
>>> (Fettuccine, ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora
>>>

>> In my best Bubba voice (Forrest Gump)............

> What is Bubba voice?
>
> wild boar kabobs,
> wild boar and shrimp,
>
> I don't think that you can eat wild boar with shrimps !!!!)))
>
> wild boar grilled, wild boar cooked,
> breaded wild boar,
>
> Breaded WB?
>
> deep
>> fried wild boar, marinated wild boar, sun dried wild boar, zesty wild
>> boar.................................. :-)
>>
>> Yes, there are wild boar in the US but it is something not normally on
>> the menu.

> Here you can find Wb on the mountains menu.
>>
>> I would imagine it tastes like pork but gamey.....is that correct?

> I don't know what "gamey" does mean?
> Cheers
> pandora

Gamey.....a taste of the wild. If you ever ate wild turkey and turkey
raised on farms you would know what I mean.

Allan Matthews

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:17:01 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
>you cook.
>In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled polenta
>is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>Cheers
>Pandora

I shot one in North Carolina several years ago...meat was so rank no
even the dog would eat it. Really bad.

Curly Sue

wrote:

>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
>you cook.
>In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled polenta
>is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>Cheers
>Pandora

I had it once at a local restaurant, Po, in a sauce for pappardelle.
But it's not very common.

Sue(tm)
Uecho

Here in South Louisiana there is an area called Honey Island Swamp. It is
very aptly named and consists of a very large area. It is over populated
with feral hogs. Each fall some very large boars are taken by hunters. They
taste very gamey, but,if cooked right, can be very tasty.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > In article >,
> > "Pandora" > wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
> >> how
> >> you cook.
> >> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
> >> polenta
> >> is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
> >> ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
> >> Cheers
> >> Pandora
> >>

> > Yes, there are both feral (domestic) wild pigs and true wild boars known
> > as "Javalina". I know they are around here but I've never tried it. :-)

> Ohhh! It is a very pity! You don't know what you loose.
> We often use wild boar salami. Very good taste!
> Cheers
> Pandora

It's a matter of paying the hunting leases. :-)
All the land in Texas is privately owned! There really is no place to
hunt without paying those hunting lease fees and that can be VERY
expensive!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> "*JimH*" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > "Pandora" > wrote in message
> >>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
> >>how you cook.
> >> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
> >> polenta is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta
> >> (Fettuccine, ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
> >> Cheers
> >> Pandora
> >>

> > In my best Bubba voice (Forrest Gump)............

> What is Bubba voice?
>
> wild boar kabobs,
> wild boar and shrimp,
>
> I don't think that you can eat wild boar with shrimps !!!!)))
>
> wild boar grilled, wild boar cooked,
> breaded wild boar,
>
> Breaded WB?

He's just teasing Pandora! <lol>
That's a takeoff from the movie "Forrest Gump".

> deep
> > fried wild boar, marinated wild boar, sun dried wild boar, zesty wild
> > boar.................................. :-)
> >
> > Yes, there are wild boar in the US but it is something not normally on the
> > menu.

> Here you can find Wb on the mountains menu.
> >
> > I would imagine it tastes like pork but gamey.....is that correct?

> I don't know what "gamey" does mean?

Gamey. Hmmmmmm... hard to describe but older wild animals, even deer,
tend to have a "wild game" taste that is unique. Some people don't like
it, but specific marinading techniques can control it somewhat.

--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Allan Matthews > wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:17:01 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
> >I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
> >you cook.
> >In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled polenta
> >is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
> >ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
> >Cheers
> >Pandora

> I shot one in North Carolina several years ago...meat was so rank no
> even the dog would eat it. Really bad.

Was it bled out properly when it was killed?
That's pretty important.

Proper marinating can also take care of that somewhat I'm told?
--
Om.

modom

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:35:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
>> I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
>> you cook.
>> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled polenta
>> is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>> ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

>Yes, there are both feral (domestic) wild pigs and true wild boars known
>as "Javalina". I know they are around here but I've never tried it. :-)

Folks tell me that one is almost never hungry enough to eat javalina.
They taste that bad.

Here in northeast Texas feral hogs are common enough to be a problem.
They are hunted for their meat and to reduce their population. They
can really mess up one's corn crop or pasture land fast. While most
hunters kill them in the field, some take them alive so they can be
butchered according to health department code for the upscale
restaurant trade in Dallas. The latter hunters share some
characteristics in common with Bat Man. And I don't mean their
fabulous wealth. A wild hog is capable of eating a hunter.

modom
Pandora

"*JimH*" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message

>>> In my best Bubba voice (Forrest Gump)............

>> What is Bubba voice?
>>
>> wild boar kabobs,
>> wild boar and shrimp,
>>
>> I don't think that you can eat wild boar with shrimps !!!!)))
>>
>> wild boar grilled, wild boar cooked,
>> breaded wild boar,
>>
>> Breaded WB?
>>
>> deep
>>> fried wild boar, marinated wild boar, sun dried wild boar, zesty wild
>>> boar.................................. :-)
>>>
>>> Yes, there are wild boar in the US but it is something not normally on
>>> the menu.

>> Here you can find Wb on the mountains menu.
>>>
>>> I would imagine it tastes like pork but gamey.....is that correct?

>> I don't know what "gamey" does mean?
>> Cheers
>> pandora
>>>

> Gamey.....a taste of the wild. If you ever ate wild turkey and turkey
> raised on farms you would know what I mean.

I don't like very much turkey's meat (I eat only grilled slices of breast);
BTW we haven't wild turkey, here.
Yes. The wild bear has a very hard taste of gamey.
But we kill this taste with a particular system of cooking called "Civet" or
Civè (a french word which means cook in the wine.). We let the meat in the
wine for about a night, than change the wine and let other 12 hours in new
wine with spicy, onions, carrots, celery and a potato (potatos thicken the
sauce). In this way we also cook chamois, deers, roes.
Once upon a time an highlander gave me a secret: "put in the first and in
the second wine a piece of chocolate, the gamey tast will go away). I tried
and I must say that he said the truth!
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:17:01 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
>>how
>>you cook.
>>In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
>>polenta
>>is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>>ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>>Cheers
>>Pandora

> I had it once at a local restaurant, Po, in a sauce for pappardelle.
> But it's not very common.

Did you appreciate the taste, or not?
Pandora

Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> > Yes, there are both feral (domestic) wild pigs and true wild boars
>> > known
>> > as "Javalina". I know they are around here but I've never tried it. :-)

>> Ohhh! It is a very pity! You don't know what you loose.
>> We often use wild boar salami. Very good taste!
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> It's a matter of paying the hunting leases. :-)
> All the land in Texas is privately owned! There really is no place to
> hunt without paying those hunting lease fees and that can be VERY
> expensive!

Ohhhh! But hunter?
We have hunter that hunt animals and then sell to the butcher.
I ate who kill the animals, but here wild boars goes in private gardens and
layed fields!!!
Pandora

Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:

>> > In my best Bubba voice (Forrest Gump)............

>> What is Bubba voice?
>>
>> wild boar kabobs,
>> wild boar and shrimp,
>>
>> I don't think that you can eat wild boar with shrimps !!!!)))
>>
>> wild boar grilled, wild boar cooked,
>> breaded wild boar,
>>
>> Breaded WB?

> He's just teasing Pandora! <lol>
> That's a takeoff from the movie "Forrest Gump".
>

>> deep
>> > fried wild boar, marinated wild boar, sun dried wild boar, zesty wild
>> > boar.................................. :-)
>> >
>> > Yes, there are wild boar in the US but it is something not normally on
>> > the
>> > menu.

>> Here you can find Wb on the mountains menu.
>> >
>> > I would imagine it tastes like pork but gamey.....is that correct?

>> I don't know what "gamey" does mean?

> Gamey. Hmmmmmm... hard to describe but older wild animals, even deer,
> tend to have a "wild game" taste that is unique. Some people don't like
> it, but specific marinading techniques can control it somewhat.

Yes. Thank you I understand now what it means!
Pandora

Pandora

"modom" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:35:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "Pandora" > wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
>>> how
>>> you cook.
>>> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
>>> polenta
>>> is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>>> ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora
>>>

>>Yes, there are both feral (domestic) wild pigs and true wild boars known
>>as "Javalina". I know they are around here but I've never tried it. :-)

> Folks tell me that one is almost never hungry enough to eat javalina.
> They taste that bad.
>
> Here in northeast Texas feral hogs are common enough to be a problem.
> They are hunted for their meat and to reduce their population. They
> can really mess up one's corn crop or pasture land fast. While most
> hunters kill them in the field, some take them alive so they can be
> butchered according to health department code for the upscale
> restaurant trade in Dallas. The latter hunters share some
> characteristics in common with Bat Man. And I don't mean their
> fabulous wealth. A wild hog is capable of eating a hunter.

We have also problems with wild boars which waste fields.
Pandora

> modom

itsjoannotjoann

Allan Matthews wrote:

> I shot one in North Carolina several years ago...meat was so rank no
> even the dog would eat it. Really bad.

I was coming home once after a gambling trip to Cherokee and was just a
mile or two outside of town. We saw something on the lefthand side of
the road grazing and snuffling along and thought from a distance it was
a dog. As we got close to it we saw it was a wild boar and we didn't
slow down one bit!! No pulling off the side of the road that day to
make pictures!

Allan Matthews

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:25:37 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Allan Matthews > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:17:01 +0200, "Pandora" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and how
>> >you cook.
>> >In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled polenta
>> >is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>> >ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>> >Cheers
>> >Pandora

>> I shot one in North Carolina several years ago...meat was so rank no
>> even the dog would eat it. Really bad.
>> >

>Was it bled out properly when it was killed?
>That's pretty important.

Yes, Guided hunt...bled out , field dressed immediately and packed in
ice. Found out later that a domestic boar, as an adult, is also rank
and the large ones are used for pepperoni only. Nearly all male
piglets are casterated very young.

>Proper marinating can also take care of that somewhat I'm told?

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
modom > wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:35:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Pandora" > wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
> >> how
> >> you cook.
> >> In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
> >> polenta
> >> is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
> >> ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
> >> Cheers
> >> Pandora
> >>

> >Yes, there are both feral (domestic) wild pigs and true wild boars known
> >as "Javalina". I know they are around here but I've never tried it. :-)

> Folks tell me that one is almost never hungry enough to eat javalina.
> They taste that bad.
>
> Here in northeast Texas feral hogs are common enough to be a problem.
> They are hunted for their meat and to reduce their population. They
> can really mess up one's corn crop or pasture land fast. While most
> hunters kill them in the field, some take them alive so they can be
> butchered according to health department code for the upscale
> restaurant trade in Dallas. The latter hunters share some
> characteristics in common with Bat Man. And I don't mean their
> fabulous wealth. A wild hog is capable of eating a hunter.
>

> modom

That's what tree or standing blinds are for. ;-)
--
Om.

day dreamer@dream .com@

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:36:42 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> modom > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:35:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In article >,
>> > "Pandora" > wrote:

I've hunted boar twice, once in Texas and once in Oklahoma . It's been
about 20 years or so ago. Both times I used an 80lb draw longbow and
boar spear. I prefer traditional hunting on foot or horseback. The
one(and only) boar I bagged took 3 days to track and find before I had
a chance at him. He weighed in around 150-175 lbs, not a giant but at
ground level he looked like as big and mean as a T-Rex to me. Maybe
before I get to old I'll try a deer hunt again that way and actually
get one. I really enjoy the solitude and challenge.

Robert Klute

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:35:46 GMT, Allan Matthews
> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:25:37 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Allan Matthews > wrote:

>>> I shot one in North Carolina several years ago...meat was so rank no
>>> even the dog would eat it. Really bad.
>>> >

>>Was it bled out properly when it was killed?
>>That's pretty important.

>Yes, Guided hunt...bled out , field dressed immediately and packed in
>ice. Found out later that a domestic boar, as an adult, is also rank
>and the large ones are used for pepperoni only. Nearly all male
>piglets are casterated very young.

You are what you eat. The taste of any animal is greatly affected by
its diet and diet will change over the course of the seasons - I can
tell when a deer has been eating lots of acorns.

The second thing to be careful of is dressing the animal. You have to
be very careful of the scent glands. I quick search turned up the
following site with some tips: http://www.fishersnet.com/prep.html

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Robert Klute > wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:35:46 GMT, Allan Matthews
> > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:25:37 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:

> >>Was it bled out properly when it was killed?
> >>That's pretty important.

> >Yes, Guided hunt...bled out , field dressed immediately and packed in
> >ice. Found out later that a domestic boar, as an adult, is also rank
> >and the large ones are used for pepperoni only. Nearly all male
> >piglets are casterated very young.

> You are what you eat. The taste of any animal is greatly affected by
> its diet and diet will change over the course of the seasons - I can
> tell when a deer has been eating lots of acorns.
>
> The second thing to be careful of is dressing the animal. You have to
> be very careful of the scent glands. I quick search turned up the
> following site with some tips: http://www.fishersnet.com/prep.html

Neat site! :-)
It would be nice to have pictures of where these scent glands are...

With squirrel, they forgot to mention that squirrels tend to shed like
fury when they are being skinned!

If you wet the entire carcass prior to dressing it, that totally
prevents this problem and keeps you from ending up with a hairy,
inedible carcass.

Those are delicious cooked fresh. Skin, gut, remove head, tail and feet
and quarter with a pair of poultry shears or a cleaver.

Cook on medium heat in a skillet with EVOO and a little salt free lemon
pepper, or pepper and salt to taste. They have a delicate flavor and are
very tender so don't over-spice...

Porcupine. It's been years (I was a very young child when dad used to
hunt porcupine on hunting trips) but mom just used to stew it over the
campfire and I remember it being very good. :-)
--
Om.

day dreamer@dream .com@

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:32:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

snipped
>Cook on medium heat in a skillet with EVOO

Ack, there's that word again

Curly Sue

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:58:14 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:17:01 +0200, "Pandora" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to know if in Us there are wild boars; if you eat them and
>>>how
>>>you cook.
>>>In nothern Italy we use boar stew, cooked in red wine. With grilled
>>>polenta
>>>is wonderful! With The sauce of the meat we season pasta (Fettuccine,
>>>ravioli, pappardelle, etc).
>>>Cheers
>>>Pandora

>> I had it once at a local restaurant, Po, in a sauce for pappardelle.
>> But it's not very common.

>Did you appreciate the taste, or not?
>Pandora

It was fine but didn't knock my socks off. I was more interested in
the pasta :>

Sue(tm)
Bob (this one)

In my restaurants, we served wild game meats. Lion, hippo, bear, boar,
venison, llama, elk and like that. They are commercially available as
long as they're not endangered.

I bought boar hams - the hind legs - and cured them like country hams,
except, since I wasn't looking for a full-cure, for only a month. When
they were ready, I soaked them in apple juice for 24 hours to get salt
out and moisture back in, and then roasted them slowly over apple-wood
fires. Made a pan gravy with the drippings. We served it thinly sliced
over a bed of sauteed apples (local golden delicious and Granny Smith)
with a small dribble of the gravy.

One other way I did them was to bone them out and butterfly them one
more fold open. I laid orange slices (very thin, peel and all) inside
the opened cut. Topped that with very thin slices of country ham and
finely chopped dried cranberries. Rolled them up from the hock, tied and
roasted at 205°F in a conventional oven until the meat was at 155°F and
pulled it to rest. Sliced about 1/2-inch thick. Napped the plate with a
demi-glace made with boar stock made with the bones of other legs and
meat trimmings. Served it with pears and fresh cranberries over a
risotto made with dried fruit.

It was the "Lion Loin Chops" that got the most comment.

Pastorio
Peter Aitken

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> In my restaurants, we served wild game meats. Lion, hippo, bear, boar,
> venison, llama, elk and like that. They are commercially available as long
> as they're not endangered.
>
> I bought boar hams - the hind legs - and cured them like country hams,
> except, since I wasn't looking for a full-cure, for only a month. When
> they were ready, I soaked them in apple juice for 24 hours to get salt out
> and moisture back in, and then roasted them slowly over apple-wood fires.
> Made a pan gravy with the drippings. We served it thinly sliced over a bed
> of sauteed apples (local golden delicious and Granny Smith) with a small
> dribble of the gravy.
>
> One other way I did them was to bone them out and butterfly them one more
> fold open. I laid orange slices (very thin, peel and all) inside the
> opened cut. Topped that with very thin slices of country ham and finely
> chopped dried cranberries. Rolled them up from the hock, tied and roasted
> at 205°F in a conventional oven until the meat was at 155°F and pulled it
> to rest. Sliced about 1/2-inch thick. Napped the plate with a demi-glace
> made with boar stock made with the bones of other legs and meat trimmings.
> Served it with pears and fresh cranberries over a risotto made with dried
> fruit.
>
> It was the "Lion Loin Chops" that got the most comment.

Here's a recipe that treats a fresh ham in a way that imitates wild boar. I
do not know how much it really tastes like wild boar but it sure is
delicious.

http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm#Ro...%20Wild%20Boar

--
Peter Aitken

Pandora

"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:58:14 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> I had it once at a local restaurant, Po, in a sauce for pappardelle.
>>> But it's not very common.

>>Did you appreciate the taste, or not?
>>Pandora
>>

> It was fine but didn't knock my socks off. I was more interested in
> the pasta :>
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I love pasta, too.
Pandora

Steve Pope

Wild boar is sometimes hunted in California and served
at restaurants around here. Normally, it is just slighty
gamey, otherwise tastes like everyday pork (which is what
it is, just escaped).

I'm sure though that killing/bleeding/hanging techniques
affect the result. A rancher I know explained it: either
let it age a few days after killing; or bleed it slowly
(a "stuck pig"); or the meat has the texture of jelly if
you just kill and cook and eat. Taste is fine, but the
mouth feel is icky.

"Stuck pigs" were hung on infamous Catherine Wheels invented
in slaughterhouses in Chicago when that city was just getting
its bearings. When I lived in Italy, I would hear them
screaming from the country farms down the hill from our villa.
There is no more godawful a sound, enough to send many people
to deciding to become vegan.

Steve

Pandora

"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Wild boar is sometimes hunted in California and served
> at restaurants around here. Normally, it is just slighty
> gamey, otherwise tastes like everyday pork (which is what
> it is, just escaped).
>
> I'm sure though that killing/bleeding/hanging techniques
> affect the result. A rancher I know explained it: either
> let it age a few days after killing; or bleed it slowly
> (a "stuck pig"); or the meat has the texture of jelly if
> you just kill and cook and eat. Taste is fine, but the
> mouth feel is icky.

Yes! It's true.

> "Stuck pigs" were hung on infamous Catherine Wheels invented
> in slaughterhouses in Chicago when that city was just getting
> its bearings. When I lived in Italy, I would hear them
> screaming from the country farms down the hill from our villa.
> There is no more godawful a sound, enough to send many people
> to deciding to become vegan.

Ohhhh! poor animals!
Pandora

Bob (this one)

Steve Pope wrote:

> Wild boar is sometimes hunted in California and served
> at restaurants around here. Normally, it is just slighty
> gamey, otherwise tastes like everyday pork (which is what
> it is, just escaped).

That's not a wild boar, it's a feral pig. True boars taste very gamy and
the texture of the meat is sufficiently distinctive to be obviously
different. It's closer-grained and chewier when done to the same
doneness as commercial pork or feral pigs. Flavors significantly richer.

Male domesticated pigs are called "boars," but that's merely a statement
of its sex. If castrated, it's called a "barrow."

> I'm sure though that killing/bleeding/hanging techniques
> affect the result. A rancher I know explained it: either
> let it age a few days after killing; or bleed it slowly
> (a "stuck pig");

"Sticking" a pig means to kill it, nothing about bleeding it slowly. One
sticks a pig after stunning it (head shot with a 22 or big hammer) by
cutting an incision just above the breastbone and sticking the knife
down behind the bone and severing the arteries there. Pull the pig up to
hang by the hind feet and let the blood come out into a bucket.

Pigs and other animals for slaughter are specifically not bled slowly.
That would create fear and anxiety in them, and trigger adrenalin
production. That makes meat taste bad. Ask any hunter about that. Adult
boars, and sows (adult females) in heat also aren't slaughtered because
the meat will taste musky. A pig ready for slaughter is best between 8
and 10 months old and up near 180 pounds. Best are castrated males and
gilts (young females).

> or the meat has the texture of jelly if
> you just kill and cook and eat. Taste is fine, but the
> mouth feel is icky.

I've been to dozens of hog killings and never seen or heard of anything
like this. Some meats benefit from aging, pork isn't one, and commercial
pork isn't deliberately aged beyond shipping times.

Around here, at the end of Fall and the beginning of Winter, farmers
kill and butcher hogs. The usual rule of thumb is that the temperature
outside should be below 40°F and above 20°F. And even then, they often
set up ice water brines to cool the carcass quickly.

They discard very little and package the rest. Some of the packaging
includes making sausages and what is called variously (depending on
minor differences) pan haas, pon hoss, scrapple, pudding or whatever.
Some is cooked (and often, eaten) on the spot to make still other
dishes. The rest is wrapped and frozen or cured or dried or whatever. No
one deliberately ages any of it. Feasting on pork dishes happens that
day. The meat is wonderful, not like jelly. I've never seen that in all
these years.

> "Stuck pigs" were hung on infamous Catherine Wheels invented
> in slaughterhouses in Chicago when that city was just getting
> its bearings.

I find that difficult to believe. I just checked Mother Earth News and a
book called "Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game" by Mettler, a
veterinarian. They flatly disagree with this notion of slow bleeding, as
does my experience.

> When I lived in Italy, I would hear them
> screaming from the country farms down the hill from our villa.
> There is no more godawful a sound, enough to send many people
> to deciding to become vegan.

I live in a rural area where livestock - cattle, pigs, sheep, goats,
ostriches, llamas - are very common. I've lived in other countries in
similar areas. Never have I encountered this, heard of it or seen any
reference to it before this post. I don't believe any of it.

Pastorio

Wild boar au civet. Recipe and pics Pandora[_2_] General Cooking 0 26-01-2012 09:09 AM
wild boar Gil Faver Barbecue 5 22-10-2008 06:51 PM
Help: wild boar shoulder Zz Yzx Barbecue 7 19-05-2006 06:58 AM
wild boar smoke recipe Alon Negev Barbecue 3 20-05-2004 08:20 AM