Old 26-07-2005, 07:58 AM
ntantiques

Default Ah, blueberries

Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
"jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Nancy

Old 26-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Bob

Nancy wrote:

Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
"jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Whereabouts in Oregon do you live? I attended Oregon State, and I've got an
uncle in Bend. I get top-quality peaches, tomatoes, and strawberries here in
Northern California, but I *really* miss those great Comice pears.

Bob

Old 26-07-2005, 10:58 AM
-L.

ntantiques wrote:
Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
"jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Nancy

Recipe for your jam? The bbs in the stores are just wonderful - very
large and sweet.

Our neighbors let their blueberries rot on the bush. This year I may
ask them if I can pick them - I will stroll over there tomorrow and see
what is up!

-L.
(Also an OR resident)

Old 26-07-2005, 11:23 AM
kilikini

"ntantiques" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
"jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Nancy

What a nice story! Glad you had fun jamming. I normally stay away from
anything sweet, but when it comes to blueberries, I eat anything made with
them! Jams, pies, fruit salad.................yum.

kili

Old 26-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com,
"ntantiques" wrote:

Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
"jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Nancy

My blues came from the supermarket and last night I made a batch of jam
with blueberries, strawberries, a few bing cherries, and a ripe banana.
And some Triple Sec and Southern Comfort. I'm still working on what to
call it. I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
you get some booze with them they're ok.
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

Old 26-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

My blues came from the supermarket and last night I made a batch of jam
with blueberries, strawberries, a few bing cherries, and a ripe banana.
And some Triple Sec and Southern Comfort. I'm still working on what to
call it. I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
you get some booze with them they're ok.

Banana-boozleberry? Three B's? (berries/banana/booze)

I hope you have a great trip, wonderfulfood, and
ideal weather.

gloria p
Old 26-07-2005, 04:46 PM
TammyM

"ntantiques" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
"jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Nancy

Am I on your Christmas list? (I hope I hope I hope I hope)

:-)

TammyM

Old 26-07-2005, 04:51 PM
TammyM

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

ntantiques wrote:
[...]

I'm nearly as bad with my blackberries. I've only made a few things from
them this year, and many berries have gone to waste. I get up so early to
go to work, and morning is best for berry picking (otherwise you get hot
squishy berries all over you!) And also, it's just too hot to have the oven
on!!! And the thought of making jam in this heat (105 today) is just ....
shudder

TammyM

p.s. can you make blueberry or blackberry jam from frozen berries? I could
face making jam in December!

Old 26-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

*some text snipped*

I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
you get some booze with them they're ok.

Tell me again that I do not have a good influence on you.
If you get some booze into people, they are ok., too )

Old 26-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Default User

ntantiques wrote:

Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and
the deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod.

I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
that. What's the catch?

I like to drop frozen blueberries into a bowl of Rice Chex. The berries
chill the milk down and of course add that great blueberry flavor.

Brian

Old 26-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Debbie

TammyM wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

ntantiques wrote:
[...]

Of course! I would often make jam in the late winter if I hadn't judged the
right amounts when making it in summer.

Debbie

Old 26-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Dave Smith

Default User wrote:

Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and
the deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod.

I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
that. What's the catch?

I like to drop frozen blueberries into a bowl of Rice Chex. The berries
chill the milk down and of course add that great blueberry flavor.

I think blueberries are the ultimate fruit for cold cereal. They pack a lot
of flavour, maybe too much. I like them only in small doses, so that works
well for cereal, muffins and pancakes. I am not a fan of blueberry pie. It's
just too much blueberry for me. I would rather have them as topping on a
custard or pastry cream tart.

Old 26-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Ranee Mueller

"Default User" wrote:

I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
that. What's the catch?

If you eat too many of them there are dire consequences.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Old 26-07-2005, 09:18 PM

Ranee Mueller wrote:

In article ,
"Default User" wrote:

I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND
now all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants
and all that. What's the catch?

If you eat too many of them there are dire consequences.

Well, there is that.

Brian
Old 26-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Bell Jar

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article .com,
"ntantiques" wrote:

[...]

Berry Comfortable

Blueberries George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 11 04-06-2014 01:47 AM
Blueberries! Gary General Cooking 7 14-07-2013 03:03 PM
Blueberries? Benji Z-Man General Cooking 13 03-05-2010 03:43 PM
Blueberries kalanamak General Cooking 17 05-08-2005 02:33 AM
blueberries donald girod General Cooking 7 04-08-2005 06:22 PM