cathy

Default Recipe software advice needed

I need to update my recipe program. I'm using a VERY old program
called Micro Kitchen. It's something like circa 1992, but it still
works on my XP laptop.

However I figured it's probably time to get something more current. I
need a program that will run on both my laptop (XP) and my PDA (Palm
Tungsten E). Ideally I'd like something that can import the files from
Micro Kitchen, but I'm not sure if such a thing exists. MK has no
export feature, the only thing it allows you to do is copy an
individual recipe to Clipboard.

I just need a basic program in which to keep recipes. I've looked at
Master Cook and it seems more....complicated than I need. I also don't
know if it's compatable with my PDA (that's kinda critical, because
I'm always forgetting to buy the one key ingredient for this or that
special recipe. If all my recipes are on my PDA then I can just look
at the whole recipe while I'm right there in the grocery store.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cathy
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

cathy wrote on 15 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I need to update my recipe program. I'm using a VERY old program
> called Micro Kitchen. It's something like circa 1992, but it still
> works on my XP laptop.
>
> However I figured it's probably time to get something more
> current. I need a program that will run on both my laptop (XP) and
> my PDA (Palm Tungsten E). Ideally I'd like something that can
> import the files from Micro Kitchen, but I'm not sure if such a
> thing exists. MK has no export feature, the only thing it allows
> you to do is copy an individual recipe to Clipboard.
>
> I just need a basic program in which to keep recipes. I've looked
> at Master Cook and it seems more....complicated than I need. I
> also don't know if it's compatable with my PDA (that's kinda
> critical, because I'm always forgetting to buy the one key
> ingredient for this or that special recipe. If all my recipes are
> on my PDA then I can just look at the whole recipe while I'm right
> there in the grocery store.)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy

Go to http://www.tucows.com/
search for recipe software for a pda then makes your choice.
I like Now your Cokking from www.ffts.com but pretty sure it won't run
on a pda. You could make a template in Word and download the recipes
that way...Excell has grocery Shopping list templates too. You can Get
those at the MS office template page. Or make your own.
--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Pete Romfh

cathy wrote:
> I need to update my recipe program. I'm using a VERY old
> program called Micro Kitchen. It's something like circa
> 1992, but it still works on my XP laptop.
>
> However I figured it's probably time to get something
> more current. I need a program that will run on both my
> laptop (XP) and my PDA (Palm Tungsten E). Ideally I'd
> like something that can import the files from Micro
> Kitchen, but I'm not sure if such a thing exists. MK has
> no export feature, the only thing it allows you to do is
> copy an individual recipe to Clipboard.
>
> I just need a basic program in which to keep recipes.
> I've looked at Master Cook and it seems
> more....complicated than I need. I also don't know if
> it's compatable with my PDA (that's kinda critical,
> because I'm always forgetting to buy the one key
> ingredient for this or that special recipe. If all my
> recipes are on my PDA then I can just look at the whole
> recipe while I'm right there in the grocery store.)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy

I'm having pretty good success with Big Oven. It's full featured, imports a
number of formats and isn't terribly expensive. The tech support has been
fine so far.

http://www.bigoven.com

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Phred

In article >, Monsur Fromage
du Pollet > wrote:
>cathy wrote on 15 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I need to update my recipe program. I'm using a VERY old program
>> called Micro Kitchen. It's something like circa 1992, but it still
>> works on my XP laptop.
>>
>> However I figured it's probably time to get something more
>> current. I need a program that will run on both my laptop (XP) and
>> my PDA (Palm Tungsten E). Ideally I'd like something that can
>> import the files from Micro Kitchen, [...]

>Go to http://www.tucows.com/
>search for recipe software for a pda then makes your choice.
>I like Now your Cokking from www.ffts.com but pretty sure it won't run
>on a pda. You could make a template in Word and download the recipes
>that way...Excell has grocery Shopping list templates too. You can Get
>those at the MS office template page. Or make your own.

Ah! Thanks for that hint. I was going to suggest a Word template to
a previous enquirer here because I know someone who is happily using
one to organise a few generations of her family's cooking heritage;
but when I looked around my own Office installation, I couldn't find
one. Never occurred to me to look for a free download of the things
from Microsoft, but now a quick google based on your phrase "MS office
template", and all is revealed! :-)

The "Cooking and Entertaining" templates are at:
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT011553901033.aspx>

The Cookbook template requires Word97 or later. The compressed
download is about 124KB which expands to a .DOT file about 262KB.
It claims a 4-star rating (out of 5) based on 730 opinions.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID