Joe H.

Default Grandma's Spice Cake

Grandma's Spice Cake

This is my all time favorite Spice Cake recipe. The frosting is
perfect,
not too sweet and very light. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/4 cup of salted butter
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg,
cloves ginger, and set aside. In A large mixing bowl beat the butter
and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the
sugar and vanilla and beat until well mixed. Add the eggs, one at a
time, beating after adding each egg. Add the dry flour mixture and
buttermilk alternately into the egg and butter mixture, beating on low
speed after each addition, just until combined. Pour into two greased
and lightly floured 8 X 1-1/2 inch cake pans. Bake in a 350 degree
oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on
wire rack.

Creamy Nut Frosting:

Blend 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour and 1/2 cup of milk. Cook the flour
mixture until it forms a thick paste and cool until it is lukewarm.
Meanwhile cream 1/4 cup of butter, 1/4 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of
sugar together and add to lukewarm flour paste. Beat until fluffy.
Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. Blend in 1
cup of powdered sugar (more if needed). Beat until fluffy. Frost the
cooled cake and sprinkle chopped pecans on top.

---

Joe Harris

Discover The Most Delicious, Authentic Southern Country Cooking You
Have Ever Tasted!
http://www.carolina-country-cooking.com

Curly Sue

On 11 Jul 2005 18:16:12 -0700, "Joe H." > wrote:

>Grandma's Spice Cake
>
>This is my all time favorite Spice Cake recipe. The frosting is
>perfect,
>not too sweet and very light. Enjoy!
>
>Ingredients:
>
>2 cups of all-purpose flour
>1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
>1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
>1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
>1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
>1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
>1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
>1 1/2 cups of sugar
>1/4 cup of salted butter
>1/4 cup of vegetable oil
>1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
>2 eggs
>1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
>
>Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg,
>cloves ginger, and set aside. In A large mixing bowl beat the butter
>and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the
>sugar and vanilla and beat until well mixed. Add the eggs, one at a
>time, beating after adding each egg. Add the dry flour mixture and
>buttermilk alternately into the egg and butter mixture, beating on low
>speed after each addition, just until combined. Pour into two greased
>and lightly floured 8 X 1-1/2 inch cake pans. Bake in a 350 degree
>oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on
>wire rack.
>
>Creamy Nut Frosting:
>
>Blend 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour and 1/2 cup of milk. Cook the flour
>mixture until it forms a thick paste and cool until it is lukewarm.
>Meanwhile cream 1/4 cup of butter, 1/4 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of
>sugar together and add to lukewarm flour paste. Beat until fluffy.
>Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. Blend in 1
>cup of powdered sugar (more if needed). Beat until fluffy. Frost the
>cooled cake and sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
>
>---
>
>Joe Harris

Thanks; I'll give this a try soon. Spice cake is one of my favorites,
though I haven't made it in a while. I would add raisins to it and
call it "Spanish Bar," like the A&Ps used to sell. Cream cheese
frosting is good too.

Sue(tm)
Puester

Curly Sue wrote:

> Thanks; I'll give this a try soon. Spice cake is one of my favorites,
> though I haven't made it in a while. I would add raisins to it and
> call it "Spanish Bar," like the A&Ps used to sell. Cream cheese
> frosting is good too.

Wasn't it here, quite a few years ago, where there was
a rather heated discussion regarding whether or not
A&P Spanish Bar was made from their leftover doughnuts?

gloria p
Nexis

"Joe H." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Grandma's Spice Cake

<Snip delicious sounding recipe>

> ---
>
> Joe Harris

This sounds exactly like my Grandma's Spice Cake! Well, except for the
frosting. My favorite frosting she made with it was a chocolate cream cheese
frosting, with homemade cream cheese. (My aunt & uncle own a dairy farm).

Some of the best memories I have are of being at my Grandparents' house in
Wisconsin for Sunday Dinner. Usually beef and pork roasts, mashed taters,
gravy, salad with Grandma's apple cider vinegar dressing, and a few of the
vegetable's from their garden..either fresh, if it was in season, or one's
she'd put up herself. That was served around 1pm. Around 5:30 or 6, everyone
would eat some leftovers from Dinner for Supper. That was followed by
dessert, which was usually chocolate or spice cake, and a couple of pies.
She made the best pie crust I've ever had; wish I could replicate it!

Thanks for the memories

kimberly

Grandma Websters Choclate Sheet Cake Sean Surlow Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2008 03:59 AM
Grandma Webster’s CHOCLATE SHEET CAKE RECEIPE Sean Surlow General Cooking 0 12-05-2008 08:09 PM
Grandma's Light Coffee Cake T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 16-11-2005 02:50 AM
Grandma's Cake Tim Recipes 0 09-07-2005 02:35 AM
Grandma's Holiday Cake luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2004 11:40 PM