Ramona Cruz

Default AMERICAN vs EURO/ASIAN eating habits

I am conducting a survey.

Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).

Please also indicate your country/nationality.

My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
people from European or Asian nations.

Mia

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

I wouldn't be so sure. There are just as many McDonalds and now KFC/Pizza
Hut combos where I live in Germany as I've seen in towns in the U.S and they
are always packed .... 1. Because they're the only places that stay open
when other restaurants close; 2. Kids, Teens, 20-somethings think it's hip
to go there, especially in eastern Germany where they've had this stuff for
only about 10 years; 3. These are the only places I have ever seen here that
have a drive-thru (and the line is usually backed up onto the street); 4.
Chains have more money than single-owner restaurants to spend on big
advertising and gimmicks because German taxes are so high. 5. People live on
less money than in the U.S so that 99cent burger is looking pretty damn
good, especially to students.

I think people in the U.S are trying to get away from the fast food kick
while people in Europe are raring to go .... just like smoking ....

Mia

Nancy Young

Ramona Cruz wrote:

> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

I have an hypothesis of my own. You're a troll, and not a very good
one. I'm sure the people in rec.photo.whatever appreciate your
crosscrap as well.

nancy
Peter Aitken

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

Well I am not going to help your hypothesis. I never eat at those places and
am a native born USian.

--
Peter Aitken

uselesses

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

You ain`t seen how many fish and chip shops there are here in the UK then?
)
Here in North Wales there is one on every corner almost.
Think KFC MacD`s etc may be predominan in the south of England though.
But they`re strange there.

Shawn

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).

Enh, why not.

McD's: maybe twice/thrice a month.
Burger King: likewise.
Wendys: never. (I believe there's one downtown Montreal, but I've never
been.)
Arbys: never.
Taco Bell: ate there once about 6 years ago. Never again.
Pizza Hut: never.
KFC: once a month, maybe.
Miami Subs: uh, no.
Checkers: who in the what now?
Olive Garden: nope.
Etc: no, but I here they have a fine salad bar.

> Please also indicate your country/nationality.

Canada/Canuckian

> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

This remains in doubt? I'd imagine that it's a commonly accepted idea that
North Americans eat more fast food. However, it seems to me that NA are
probably the most representative at the other end of the spectrum as
well--crazy-ass fad diets like Atkins, South Beach, etc.

Me, I seem to have topped (bottomed?) out at 190lbs.

-- Shawn

Mike Lipphardt

And RPE35 take another step down the slope to uselessness. Freakin
crossposters.

In rec.food.cooking Ramona Cruz > wrote:
> I am conducting a survey.

> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).

30 or 40 times a month. I am from Europe.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking Ramona Cruz > wrote:
> I am conducting a survey.

> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).

Never. I am from the United States.

And I admire the most excellent techniques you use to ascertain facts.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
William D. Tallman

Mia wrote:

> "Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
>> I am conducting a survey.
>>
>> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

> Burger
>> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

> Subs,
>> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>>
>> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>>
>> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

> than those
>> people from European or Asian nations.
>>

> I wouldn't be so sure. There are just as many McDonalds and now KFC/Pizza
> Hut combos where I live in Germany as I've seen in towns in the U.S and
> they are always packed .... 1. Because they're the only places that stay
> open when other restaurants close; 2. Kids, Teens, 20-somethings think
> it's hip to go there, especially in eastern Germany where they've had this
> stuff for only about 10 years; 3. These are the only places I have ever
> seen here that have a drive-thru (and the line is usually backed up onto
> the street); 4. Chains have more money than single-owner restaurants to
> spend on big advertising and gimmicks because German taxes are so high. 5.
> People live on less money than in the U.S so that 99cent burger is looking
> pretty damn good, especially to students.
>
> I think people in the U.S are trying to get away from the fast food kick
> while people in Europe are raring to go .... just like smoking ....
>
> Mia

This thread was also posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm. I've deleted that
NG from the addresses.

A fellow recently did a documentary on MacDonalds food, a video piece, I
think. He ate nothing but that food for a month. The results:

He now has a damaged liver and is vulnerable to liver disease, presumably
for the rest of his life. The cause was insoluable fat, IIRC. He gained a
good deal of weight, he lost his sex drive (so said his girl friend), and
became subject to mood swings. Toward the end, the thought of giving up
that food began to terrify him, as he had become addicted. This was
written up in either Science News or Scientific American recently, forget
which...

Now, most people don't eat MacDonalds food to that extent, I must suppose,
but there are those who make it predominant in their diet. This is
probably not a Good Thing, I think.

Bill Tallman

Arri London

Ramona Cruz wrote:

> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

The question is badly put.
Every country has its own versions of fast food. Just because people
overseas don't eat at American-origin fast food places doesn't mean they
don't eat fast food.
Bob

Ramona Cruz trolled:

> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,
> Burger King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken,
> Miami Subs, Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff
> than those people from European or Asian nations.

Let me counter with a survey of my own:

Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like pho, yaki-mandu,
yakitori, ramen, Hainanese chicken & rice, or anything similar from a street
vendor).

My hypothesis is that Asians will eat much more of this stuff than people
from European or American nations.

Or how about this survey:

Please answer how often each month you drink wine.

My hypothesis is that Europeans will drink more wine than people from other
continents.

Bob

Dave Smith

Ramona Cruz wrote:

> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

I get a slice of pizza from Pizza Pizza 2-3 times per month, a sandwich from the deli
about the same. Other than that, no fast food at all.

In rec.food.cooking Ramona Cruz > wrote:
> I am conducting a survey.

> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).

Of course, if you compare the number of Asians who patronize American
owned restaurant chains, you'll find that more Americans patronize those
places. If you include all the fast food places that are local to
geographic areas such as the little food stands on street corners, then
you will likely get a very different picture.

William Graham

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

American.....about twice a month......I wouldn't put Olive Garden in the
same class as most of the others....You can get a pretty nice meal in the
Olive Gardens around here...Just because it's a franchise, that doesn't mean
it's, "fast food"......

Bhup

To brink it right back on topic
I never go there unless I seek shelter from rain or I want to use their
bathroom
I always take a 35mm camera with me for sneak shots of people with a burger
in their gob I like to use my 300mm F2.8 lens a SB26 for fill in flash for
the grease and my trusty Nikon F90x.

--
All outgoing emails are scanned with Norton Antivirus 2003
"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

Kajikit

Ramona Cruz had something important to tell us on Thu, 06 May 2004
11:19:33 -0400:

>I am conducting a survey.
>
>Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
>King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
>Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
>Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
>My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
>people from European or Asian nations.

How about never? I don't eat fast food - it's got too much salt, too
many preservatives and especially too much MSG (I'm allergic!)

I eat fast food about once every three months, equally divided between
Chinese food, Hungry Jacks, and takeaway pizza from a small pizzeria
NOT from the big chains. I am allergic to MSG and have high
bloodpressure so fastfood has far too much salt for me.

I'm Australian and moving to the USA soon but I don't expect my eating
habits to change.

--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 29 April 2004 - 61 cards, 41 SB pages (plus 3 small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:48:23 +1000, Kajikit wrote:

.....qually divided between
> Chinese food, ..... I am allergic to MSG and have high
> bloodpressure so fastfood has far too much salt for me.

You're allergic to MSG and you still eat Chinese?

--
Tim C.
Cindy hamilton

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message news:<409A1F45.24911.471160@localhost>...
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

Zero. I'm in the United States.

Of course, rec.food.cooking will hardly get you a random sampling.

Cindy Hamilton
Mike Lipphardt

"Cindy hamilton" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message

> > I am conducting a survey.
> >
> > Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> > King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> > Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
> >
> > Please also indicate your country/nationality.
> >
> > My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> > people from European or Asian nations.

> Zero. I'm in the United States.
>
> Of course, rec.food.cooking will hardly get you a random sampling.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

And of course your cross posting will get you nothing but ****ed off usenet
neighbors. Look at your headers before you post. Does this sound like
something a photo newsgroup would care about? No? Delete them from the
header!

uselesses

"Mike Lipphardt" > wrote in message
.com...
> And RPE35 take another step down the slope to uselessness.

I resent that remark!

Bob Myers

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message
> I am conducting a survey.

OK, but you realize that without actually using a
random list of participants drawn from a sufficient wide
geographic base, you're not going to be able to show
ANYTHING other than the eating habits of those who
choose to respond, right? (In other words, "surveys"
such as the one you seem to be trying to conduct here
can never be used to show what they claim to.)

Wouldn't it be simpler (not to mention far more
meaningful) just to check the per-capita "presence"
(i.e., number and size of restaurants) and sales for the
global fast-food chains in various regions/countries?

> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).

Ummmm...Olive Garden? Not exactly what I'd consider
"fast food" - it is admittedly a lousy example of "Italian"
cuisine, but how is does, say, a plate of spaghetti with
meat sauce and a glass of chianti that you get at the OG
differ NUTRITIONALLY from the same things served
at some little, authentic, family-run, (insert whatever
adjective you like here) Italian restaurant, located in the
same region, in any significant way? For that matter,
what do you see as the significant/objectionable
differences, BESIDES taste, between a sandwich
served by Subway and one from the local deli? The
bottom line I'm trying to get to is - just what is it you really
want to show here? What does "fast food" mean in the
context of your interest in this topic? Is it a difference of
taste? Nutrition? Cost? Speed of service, or the time
spent on average by the patrons in consuming their meal?

> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

Based on what? I certainly haven't seen any of these sorts
of outlets lacking for local customers in any part of the world
I've visited (Europe or Asia).

Bob M.

paula

"Mike Lipphardt" > wrote in message y.com>...
> "Cindy hamilton" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message

> > > I am conducting a survey.
> > >
> > > Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

> Burger
> > > King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

> Subs,
> > > Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
> > >
> > > Please also indicate your country/nationality.

zero times and i am from the U.K.
Default User

Ramona Cruz wrote:

> I am conducting a survey.

I'd suggest you learn more about how to conduct a proper survey. Your
results will be meaningless.

Brian Rodenborn
Chuck

Fast food.....should we be counting Chicken Tikka or Bangers and Mash at our
local?

An American in Scotland.

"paula" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mike Lipphardt" > wrote in message

y.com>...
> > "Cindy hamilton" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message

McDonalds,
> > Burger

Miami
> > Subs,

> zero times and i am from the U.K.

S.Dunlap

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message news:<409A1F45.24911.471160@localhost>...
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

I live in a Central American country and fast food rules. It doesn't
make a difference whether it is American fast food chains,
local/regional fast food chains, or mom and pop places. Most do a
booming business.

Sandi
S.Dunlap

Tim Challenger <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote in message ws.com>...
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:48:23 +1000, Kajikit wrote:
>
> ....qually divided between
> > Chinese food, ..... I am allergic to MSG and have high
> > bloodpressure so fastfood has far too much salt for me.

> You're allergic to MSG and you still eat Chinese?

The CHinese place I used to go to in the US (in Hudson, Florida) had
an MSG free menu available. I'm sure there are others around that over
MSG free foods. It's possible to eat Chinese withoug MSG.

Sandi
William Graham

"S.Dunlap" > wrote in message
m...
> "Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message

> > I am conducting a survey.
> >
> > Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds,

Burger
> > King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami

Subs,
> > Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
> >
> > Please also indicate your country/nationality.
> >
> > My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff

than those
> > people from European or Asian nations.

> I live in a Central American country and fast food rules. It doesn't
> make a difference whether it is American fast food chains,
> local/regional fast food chains, or mom and pop places. Most do a
> booming business.
>
> Sandi

His hypothesis that Americans eat more fast food than Asians rings true to
me.....Most of the, "fast food" I eat is at Asian restaurants....:^)

Melissa Houle

"Ramona Cruz" > wrote in message news:<409A1F45.24911.471160@localhost>...
> I am conducting a survey.
>
> Please answer how often each month you eat fast foods (like McDonalds, Burger
> King, Wendys, Arbys, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Miami Subs,
> Checkers, Olive Garden, etc).
>
> Please also indicate your country/nationality.
>
> My hypothesis is that North Americans will eat much more of this stuff than those
> people from European or Asian nations.

In my own case, I gave up eating fast food on New Year's Day 2003, one
of the few New Year's resolutions I have actually kept successfully.
By Fast Food,I mean McD's, Jack in the Box, KFC, Taco Bell, and any
other recognizable fast food chains. I do have occasional lapses into
pizza consumption. I haven't turned into a hardbody in the meantime,
as I have been fighting a sweet tooth all my life. However, I can
tell you that my digestion is much better for having ditched the Big
Macs and fries, etc etc. Before I went on the wagon, I would say I'd
eat a fast food meal approximately once a week, and since there was a
McDonalds near where I work, that was the poison of choice.

Melissa

Kajikit

Tim Challenger had something important to tell us on Fri, 07 May 2004
10:49:00 GMT:

>On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:48:23 +1000, Kajikit wrote:
>
>....qually divided between
>> Chinese food, ..... I am allergic to MSG and have high
>> bloodpressure so fastfood has far too much salt for me.

>You're allergic to MSG and you still eat Chinese?

Not all Chinese food has MSG in it. A lot of chinese dishes contain no
added msg at all. There's a small amount in soy sauce, but I'm not
sensitive enough for it to bother me. I only have a problem if I eat
something loaded with it... packet soups are more of a problem for me
than your typical chinese stir-fry! It it has enough to have that
distinctive taste, then it's too much and I won't eat more than a
mouthful.