Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What annoys you (or don't you understand) about your partner's eating habits?

Time to gripe :P

My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
to eat them every day...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> Time to gripe :P

DH always uses this curry sauce on his chicken. I hate the smell of it
and I detest it. Unfortunately DS likes it too! I'm doomed!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Time to gripe :P
>
> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
> to eat them every day...

My better half insists on dumping Tabasco on pork, despite that fact she has
an ulcer and it gives her problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
>> Time to gripe :P
>>
>> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
>> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
>> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
>> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
>> to eat them every day...
>>

> My better half insists on dumping Tabasco on pork, despite that fact she
> has an ulcer and it gives her problems.

Has she been tested for the bacteria Helicobacter pylori? It's been found to
be the cause of many ulcers, although some doctors still don't believe it
because it was discovered initially by a veterinarian. More info:
http://www.gihealth.com/html/educati...icobacter.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Time to gripe :P
>
> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
> to eat them every day...

It astounds me how willing DH is to eat anything I cook for him. He's not
one of those who nibbles or takes little tastes of things, he just dives
right in. Afterwards, he may ask what it is, but he seldom asks ahead of
time.

I'm sure part of it is that he trusts me not to poison him (although we do
have a running joke...) but he has no squeamishness about any meat, veggie,
fruit, ethnic cuisine or whatever.

The only time I've ever seen him even a little cautious is when something
looks like it might be cantaloupe. That's about the only think he dislikes
enough to want to avoid.

I think I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but he puts me to shame.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> Time to gripe :P
>
> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
> to eat them every day...

I like to have vegetables with every meal, but I before a small amount of
several different vegetables. I don't see a need for a lot of sauces or
dressings on them. A bit of salt, maybe a little butter, or a little
lemon juice, that's all I need on them. Jut don't give me huge amounts
of them.
And no lettuce thanks. It's a waste of time and energy, and it is
something that absolutely has to have dressing of some sort.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:17:31 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>Time to gripe :P

My SO thinks potatoes are only good when roasted or fried. Jacket
potatoes or baked potatoes, he thinks they have no taste. Heathen! ;-)

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> dressings on them. A bit of salt, maybe a little butter, or a little
> lemon juice, that's all I need on them.
> And no lettuce thanks. It's a waste of time and energy, and it is
> something that absolutely has to have dressing of some sort.

LOL. I like a tossed/mixed greens/dinner/side salad without dressing.
And if I'm alone with it, I'll pick it from plate to mouth with my
fingers. Quel horror! And I think I've probably made clear here that I
don't believe in gilding a lily -- I like my cooked vegetables without a
lot of "extra treatment," too.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-23-2006; The Cool, Cool, Cool of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> dressings on them. A bit of salt, maybe a little butter, or a little
>> lemon juice, that's all I need on them.
>> And no lettuce thanks. It's a waste of time and energy, and it is
>> something that absolutely has to have dressing of some sort.

> LOL. I like a tossed/mixed greens/dinner/side salad without dressing.
> And if I'm alone with it, I'll pick it from plate to mouth with my
> fingers. Quel horror! And I think I've probably made clear here that I
> don't believe in gilding a lily -- I like my cooked vegetables without a
> lot of "extra treatment," too.

I like my salad with good oil and herb vinegar and my veggies with good
butter

Ophelia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
.121...
> Nathalie Chiva >
> news >
>> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:17:31 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Time to gripe :P

>> My SO thinks potatoes are only good when roasted or fried. Jacket
>> potatoes or baked potatoes, he thinks they have no taste. Heathen! ;-)
>>
>> Nathalie in Switzerland

> My SO just stares at the plate whenever I serve up a different type of
> food
> other than beef, pork and potatoes (he likes baked). He must have stared
> at
> the plantain and pork, I made last night, for 5 minutes before tasting it.
> He liked it.
>
> Michael

Do you ever ask him what he thinks will be accomplished by staring at the
food? Is he making sure it's dead?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> My SO just stares at the plate whenever I serve up a different type of
>> food
>> other than beef, pork and potatoes (he likes baked). He must have stared
>> at
>> the plantain and pork, I made last night, for 5 minutes before tasting
>> it.
>> He liked it.
>>
>> Michael

> Do you ever ask him what he thinks will be accomplished by staring at the
> food? Is he making sure it's dead?

Working on x-ray vision, maybe? If you stare long enough, maybe you can
count the actual number of calories on the plate.

:-)

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

>>> My SO just stares at the plate whenever I serve up a different type of
>>> food
>>> other than beef, pork and potatoes (he likes baked). He must have stared
>>> at
>>> the plantain and pork, I made last night, for 5 minutes before tasting
>>> it.
>>> He liked it.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Do you ever ask him what he thinks will be accomplished by staring at the
>> food? Is he making sure it's dead?

> Working on x-ray vision, maybe? If you stare long enough, maybe you can
> count the actual number of calories on the plate.

He's probably thinking How can I say I'm not eating this without
****ing Michael off.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "D.Currie" > wrote
>
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

>>> Do you ever ask him what he thinks will be accomplished by staring at
>>> the food? Is he making sure it's dead?

>> Working on x-ray vision, maybe? If you stare long enough, maybe you can
>> count the actual number of calories on the plate.

> He's probably thinking How can I say I'm not eating this without
> ****ing Michael off.
>
> nancy

.....to which we all know how to respond: "You know where the peanut butter &
jelly are kept. Go make yourself another dinner!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> .121...
> > Nathalie Chiva >
> > news > >
> >> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:17:31 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit

> >> My SO thinks potatoes are only good when roasted or fried. Jacket
> >> potatoes or baked potatoes, he thinks they have no taste. Heathen! ;-)
> >>
> >> Nathalie in Switzerland

> > My SO just stares at the plate whenever I serve up a different type of
> > food
> > other than beef, pork and potatoes (he likes baked). He must have stared
> > at
> > the plantain and pork, I made last night, for 5 minutes before tasting it.
> > He liked it.
> >
> > Michael

> Do you ever ask him what he thinks will be accomplished by staring at the
> food? Is he making sure it's dead?

Somewhere I have a diet book by Elizabeth Taylor (yeah, I know, but
she's old now) and she recommended taking some minutes when you sit
down, to just look at the food on your plate and appreciate the colors
and textures, etc. Maybe he read that book. LOL.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:43:59 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> dressings on them. A bit of salt, maybe a little butter, or a little
>>> lemon juice, that's all I need on them.
>>> And no lettuce thanks. It's a waste of time and energy, and it is
>>> something that absolutely has to have dressing of some sort.

>> LOL. I like a tossed/mixed greens/dinner/side salad without dressing.
>> And if I'm alone with it, I'll pick it from plate to mouth with my
>> fingers. Quel horror! And I think I've probably made clear here that I
>> don't believe in gilding a lily -- I like my cooked vegetables without a
>> lot of "extra treatment," too.

>I like my salad with good oil and herb vinegar and my veggies with good
>butter

I'm not really a salad-eater at all... but when I have it the only
bottled dressing I like is Italian, and very little of it. Just enough
to give the wishy-washy lettuce some tang.

My standard vegetable accompaniment used to be some carrot and
sweetcorn gently steamed then with broccoli or zucchini or green peas
added a few minutes before we ate. Served PLAIN so we could enjoy the
flavour of the fresh vegetables... DH drowns everything in salt,
pepper, hot sauce and/or salad dressing before he touches it.
He bought the groceries last week and he forgot the vegetables so he
stopped at the store next day, and came home with six boxes of
Birdseye frozen vegetables in 'butter' or 'cheese' sauce. And he
thought it was good that they were a 'brand name' instead of plain
label. (sighs) We used the first box that night and even he had to
admit it was pretty horrible compared to the plain ones - it's a shame
we still have five left!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:47:30 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>My SO just stares at the plate whenever I serve up a different type of food
>other than beef, pork and potatoes (he likes baked). He must have stared at
>the plantain and pork, I made last night, for 5 minutes before tasting it.
>He liked it.

He's probably trying to decide whether it would poison him on the spot
if he ate it :P (glad he liked the pork and plantain... sounds yummy)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> dressings on them. A bit of salt, maybe a little butter, or a little
>> lemon juice, that's all I need on them.
>> And no lettuce thanks. It's a waste of time and energy, and it is
>> something that absolutely has to have dressing of some sort.

> LOL. I like a tossed/mixed greens/dinner/side salad without dressing.
> And if I'm alone with it, I'll pick it from plate to mouth with my
> fingers. Quel horror! And I think I've probably made clear here that I
> don't believe in gilding a lily -- I like my cooked vegetables without a
> lot of "extra treatment," too.
> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-23-2006;

I detest the cheese sauce that so many people I know seem to be fond of putting all
over their veggies. Ugh. I also think there's just never a good reason to put cheese
on a potato. Yuck.
No hollandaise, no cream sauce. The closest I come to putting a sauce on veggies is
adding the juice of half an orange or a lemon to my green beans or asparagus, or
adding milk to peas. It has to be the silver can of peas, the baby ones, and milk,
not cream sauce, along with butter, salt and lots of pepper. Old childhood throw
back....

As far as lettuce, I love salad, and usually use a dressing spritzer or just a
squeeze of lemon on it. I don't care much for creamy dressings on salad, except for
pasta salad. I do like to munch on lettuce when I have it at the table as well...just
by itself.
kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> > LOL. I like a tossed/mixed greens/dinner/side salad without dressing.
> > And if I'm alone with it, I'll pick it from plate to mouth with my
> > fingers. Quel horror! And I think I've probably made clear here that I
> > don't believe in gilding a lily -- I like my cooked vegetables without a
> > lot of "extra treatment," too.

> I like my salad with good oil and herb vinegar and my veggies with good
> butter

My wife makes a fantastic dressing, olive oil, red wine vinegar, a bit of
lemon juice, a crushed clove of garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce
and mustard powder. It's pretty good. I don't usually bottled dressing, but
if I do I love like Blue Cheese. I usually add some extra blue cheese.

My wife loves butter. She slathers veggies with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> >
> > "D.Currie" > wrote
> >
> >> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> >> Working on x-ray vision, maybe? If you stare long enough, maybe you can
> >> count the actual number of calories on the plate.

> > He's probably thinking How can I say I'm not eating this without
> > ****ing Michael off.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> ....to which we all know how to respond: "You know where the peanut butter &
> jelly are kept. Go make yourself another dinner!"

Or, as my mother used to say: "If you don't like it, DON'T EAT IT!
I'M NOT MAKING 2 SUPPERS!!! :- )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> Time to gripe :P
>
> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
> to eat them every day...

Ooooo, boy! A gripefest!! <grin>

When my wife makes bread, about half the time she forgets to add the
salt. Because she doesn't seem to taste the difference. Ugh!

Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 23 Jun 2006 07:12:48p, meant to say...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "D.Currie" > wrote

>> > He's probably thinking How can I say I'm not eating this without
>> > ****ing Michael off.
>> >
>> > nancy
>> >

>> ....to which we all know how to respond: "You know where the peanut
>> butter & jelly are kept. Go make yourself another dinner!"

> Or, as my mother used to say: "If you don't like it, DON'T EAT IT!
> I'M NOT MAKING 2 SUPPERS!!! :- )

hehehe! That would not work in our house. One or the other of us would
starve to death. :-) We can usually agree on a meat, but apart from that
it always goes in two directions. I will eat virtually anything, but I
can't be happy limited to the 2-3 side dishes that SO is willing to eat.
I've been cooking like this for the past 14 years.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 23 Jun 2006 07:12:48p, meant to say...
>

>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> ....to which we all know how to respond: "You know where the peanut
>>> butter & jelly are kept. Go make yourself another dinner!"

>> Or, as my mother used to say: "If you don't like it, DON'T EAT IT!
>> I'M NOT MAKING 2 SUPPERS!!! :- )

> hehehe! That would not work in our house. One or the other of us would
> starve to death. :-) We can usually agree on a meat, but apart from that
> it always goes in two directions. I will eat virtually anything, but I
> can't be happy limited to the 2-3 side dishes that SO is willing to eat.
> I've been cooking like this for the past 14 years.
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

My son's got this thing about vegetables. He doesn't like them cooked, but
he doesn't like them raw, either. He likes them frozen. If I'm cutting &
washing broccolli, he asks me to put some in the freezer an hour before
dinner. Same with green beans. Carrots have to be very cold.
Asparagus...those he drowns in blue cheese dressing. But, make him a salad
the size of a Volkswagen, with just lettuce & cucumbers, and he'll eat it
with nothing at all on it. If I cut up (literally) a gallon of watermelon
into chunks the size of dice, he'll polish the whole thing off within 24
hours. Bananas, sometimes 4-6 per day. I guess I should be thankful. Some
teenagers won't touch fruit or vegetables at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe wrote:
>> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
>> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
>> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
>> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
>> to eat them every day...

> I had a girlfriend that like to poach things - eggs, chicken, fish...
>
> She always started with hot water from the tap because it heated up
> faster. I was always taught to start with cold water because it
> doesn't contain water heater sediment. Her poached food tasted
> distinctly less 'fresh' than mine, I think because of this, but she
> could never tell the difference.

I have always used boiled water from a kettle when a recipe calls for
bringing water to the boil. It doesn't taste different and it cuts
electricity bills.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Fri 23 Jun 2006 07:12:48p, meant to say...

>>>Or, as my mother used to say: "If you don't like it, DON'T EAT IT!
>>>I'M NOT MAKING 2 SUPPERS!!! :- )

>>hehehe! That would not work in our house. One or the other of us would
>>starve to death. :-) We can usually agree on a meat, but apart from that
>>it always goes in two directions. I will eat virtually anything, but I
>>can't be happy limited to the 2-3 side dishes that SO is willing to eat.
>>I've been cooking like this for the past 14 years.
>>Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

> My son's got this thing about vegetables. He doesn't like them cooked, but
> he doesn't like them raw, either. He likes them frozen. If I'm cutting &
> washing broccolli, he asks me to put some in the freezer an hour before
> dinner. Same with green beans. Carrots have to be very cold.
> Asparagus...those he drowns in blue cheese dressing. But, make him a salad
> the size of a Volkswagen, with just lettuce & cucumbers, and he'll eat it
> with nothing at all on it. If I cut up (literally) a gallon of watermelon
> into chunks the size of dice, he'll polish the whole thing off within 24
> hours. Bananas, sometimes 4-6 per day. I guess I should be thankful. Some
> teenagers won't touch fruit or vegetables at all.

Man, no worries about that boy getting his fiber!

Sometimes I suspect these kinds of extreme preferences are biochemically
driven.

How is he about protein sources? If he's getting enough good quality
protein and seems to be thriving I'd probably semi-cater to the
weirdness. Better that than a junk food fiend.

He'd have to learn to dice his own watermelon, though.

Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> Time to gripe :P
>
> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
> to eat them every day...

if he could, he would eat everything wrapped in a tortilla.
Beyond that he eats everything I put in front of him and has no problem trying
anything.

What really annoys me, however, is that he can eat up to 3 times what I eat
and still be skinny as a rail. He's 6'2" and 147 pounds. It's amazing.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I first met my husband, I don't think I ever saw him eat anything
but cheese pizzas or cheeseburgers for the first year we were dating.
I used to get SO mad at him - "How can you know you don't like it if
you won't TRY anything??" He has gotten a lot better now - he even
tried sushi recently!!

One thing that drives me crazy though is that he eats everything on his
plate, one thing at a time - he will eat all of his salad, then all of
his meat, then all of his mashed potatoes - instead of varying bites.
I don't know WHY this drives me crazy...I guess it's just because I'm
WEIRD!

~Shelly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

shelly1205 > wrote:

>When I first met my husband, I don't think I ever saw him eat anything
>but cheese pizzas or cheeseburgers for the first year we were dating.
>I used to get SO mad at him - "How can you know you don't like it if
>you won't TRY anything??" He has gotten a lot better now - he even
>tried sushi recently!!

>One thing that drives me crazy though is that he eats everything on his
>plate, one thing at a time - he will eat all of his salad, then all of
>his meat, then all of his mashed potatoes - instead of varying bites.
>I don't know WHY this drives me crazy...I guess it's just because I'm
>WEIRD!

Seems to me that if you order the tasting menu in a fancy
restaurant, this is how you end up eating.

I'd view it as a complement.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Jun 2006 05:32:17p, shelly1205 meant to say...

> When I first met my husband, I don't think I ever saw him eat anything
> but cheese pizzas or cheeseburgers for the first year we were dating.
> I used to get SO mad at him - "How can you know you don't like it if
> you won't TRY anything??" He has gotten a lot better now - he even
> tried sushi recently!!
>
> One thing that drives me crazy though is that he eats everything on his
> plate, one thing at a time - he will eat all of his salad, then all of
> his meat, then all of his mashed potatoes - instead of varying bites.
> I don't know WHY this drives me crazy...I guess it's just because I'm
> WEIRD!

Tat drives me crazy, too. My paternal grandfather would only allow one food
on his plate at a time, eating each one in succession. He would, however,
eat virtually anything...just not together. He had another odd
taste/habit... He wouldn't drink either iced or hot tea or coffee unless it
was sweetened with a saccharine tablet, never sugar. He was not diabetic nor
had any other dietetic limitation that would eliminate sugar from his diet.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Tat drives me crazy, too. My paternal grandfather would only allow one food
> on his plate at a time, eating each one in succession. He would, however,
> eat virtually anything...just not together.

That's totally me but they can be on the plate together. I just
like very few food combos.

> He had another odd
> taste/habit... He wouldn't drink either iced or hot tea or coffee unless it
> was sweetened with a saccharine tablet, never sugar. He was not diabetic nor
> had any other dietetic limitation that would eliminate sugar from his diet.

Saccharine was so nasty. Splenda tastes like saccharine to me.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Jun 2006 05:58:48p, -L. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Tat drives me crazy, too. My paternal grandfather would only allow one
>> food on his plate at a time, eating each one in succession. He would,
>> however, eat virtually anything...just not together.

> That's totally me but they can be on the plate together. I just
> like very few food combos.

I can understand that. There are a few foods I prefer eating by
themselves, but most things I will eat together.

>> He had another odd
>> taste/habit... He wouldn't drink either iced or hot tea or coffee
>> unless it was sweetened with a saccharine tablet, never sugar. He was
>> not diabetic nor had any other dietetic limitation that would eliminate
>> sugar from his diet.

> Saccharine was so nasty. Splenda tastes like saccharine to me.

Splenda is the first artificial sweetener that I've used and like. With
the exception of baking, I use it in almost everything. However, even
though they have a "measure for measure" version, I still reduce the amount
as I find it sweeter than sugar for the same amount.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen-
You're on your own, gal. I have a guy that will only eat Vanilla ice
cream, and drink Folger's coffee. His palate doesn't wander far from
very basic things. . .No microbrews, or fine wines - only Budweiser.

My cat has more distinguished tastes than he does;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> My paternal grandfather would only allow one food on his plate
> at a time, eating each one in succession. He would, however,
> eat virtually anything...just not together.

I would say he had focus.

Sometimes, I like to eat a single dish without interruptions.
This is particularly true, somehow, of pasta dishes, which
are traditionally a course all by themselves.

> He had another odd taste/habit... He wouldn't drink either
> iced or hot tea or coffee unless it was sweetened with a
> saccharine tablet, never sugar. He was not diabetic nor had
> any other dietetic limitation that would eliminate sugar from
> his diet.

Nothing odd about not eating much sugar. It's not like it's
good for you, or anything. I drink very few sugar-sweetened
beverages -- don't see the point.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Jun 2006 08:12:21p, Steve Pope meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My paternal grandfather would only allow one food on his plate
>> at a time, eating each one in succession. He would, however, eat
>> virtually anything...just not together.

> I would say he had focus.
>
> Sometimes, I like to eat a single dish without interruptions.
> This is particularly true, somehow, of pasta dishes, which
> are traditionally a course all by themselves.

Pasta, yes, I prefer eating it as a course on its own. I don't
particularly care for it as a side dish. I don't recall my grandfather
ever eating pasta in any form. He was a southern country farmer.

Having said that, I would definitely not enjoy a meal of meat, a couple of
vegetables, garnishes, etc., if I had to eat it one thing at a time. I
like the contrast of textures and flavors when eaten together, although not
necessarily in the same bite.

>> He had another odd taste/habit... He wouldn't drink either
>> iced or hot tea or coffee unless it was sweetened with a
>> saccharine tablet, never sugar. He was not diabetic nor had
>> any other dietetic limitation that would eliminate sugar from his
>> diet.

> Nothing odd about not eating much sugar. It's not like it's
> good for you, or anything. I drink very few sugar-sweetened
> beverages -- don't see the point.

Oh, he drank it sweetened, alright. With saccharine, and sweeter than any
sugar (also on the bitter side).

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"shelly1205" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> One thing that drives me crazy though is that he eats everything on his
> plate, one thing at a time - he will eat all of his salad, then all of
> his meat, then all of his mashed potatoes - instead of varying bites.
> I don't know WHY this drives me crazy...I guess it's just because I'm
> WEIRD!

I can sympathise, but from the opposite end of the spectrum!

My hubby portions everything on his plate so that there's always equal
amounts while he's eating. It's all very neat and tidy to look at, but I
can't help wondering what Freud would make of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Jun 2006 08:58:59p, Jo Ling meant to say...

> "shelly1205" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> One thing that drives me crazy though is that he eats everything on his
>> plate, one thing at a time - he will eat all of his salad, then all of
>> his meat, then all of his mashed potatoes - instead of varying bites.
>> I don't know WHY this drives me crazy...I guess it's just because I'm
>> WEIRD!

> I can sympathise, but from the opposite end of the spectrum!
>
> My hubby portions everything on his plate so that there's always equal
> amounts while he's eating. It's all very neat and tidy to look at, but I
> can't help wondering what Freud would make of it.

Well, Freud had plenty of his own problems, but he might have said, "Nußartig
als Fruchtkuchen."

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Jun 2006 09:48:54p, Abe meant to say...

>>One thing that drives me crazy though is that he eats everything on his
>>plate, one thing at a time - he will eat all of his salad, then all of
>>his meat, then all of his mashed potatoes - instead of varying bites.
>>I don't know WHY this drives me crazy...I guess it's just because I'm
>>WEIRD!

> That's a prime indication of autistic tendency.

Not if that behavior doesn't extend to areas.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

shelly1205 wrote:
> When I first met my husband, I don't think I ever saw him eat anything
> but cheese pizzas or cheeseburgers for the first year we were dating.
> I used to get SO mad at him - "How can you know you don't like it if
> you won't TRY anything??" He has gotten a lot better now - he even
> tried sushi recently!!
>
> One thing that drives me crazy though is that he eats everything on his
> plate, one thing at a time - he will eat all of his salad, then all of
> his meat, then all of his mashed potatoes - instead of varying bites.
> I don't know WHY this drives me crazy...I guess it's just because I'm
> WEIRD!
>
> ~Shelly

Maybe he likes certain foods better than others and he wants to save
those for last. When I was in school if I brought lunch from home it
usually consisted of a peanut butter sandwich (90% of the time), a bag
of Doritos, and a Little Debbie type snack cake. I always ate the
sandwich first, then the Doritos, then finally the snack cake. I love
peanut butter sandwiches but that was my least favorite part of the
lunch so I would always eat that first and get it out of the way.

The person I can't stand to watch eat is my mother. She literally
mixes everything together on her plate. Each forkful of food will
contain 4 to 5 different food items on it. We're not talking about
foods that go together either peas and carrots or beans and corn.
She'll mix macaroni and cheese with pinto beans, corn bread, stewed
tomatoes, and coleslaw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sat 24 Jun 2006 08:12:21p, Steve Pope meant to say...

>> Sometimes, I like to eat a single dish without interruptions.
>> This is particularly true, somehow, of pasta dishes, which
>> are traditionally a course all by themselves.

>Pasta, yes, I prefer eating it as a course on its own. I don't
>particularly care for it as a side dish. I don't recall my grandfather
>ever eating pasta in any form. He was a southern country farmer.

>Having said that, I would definitely not enjoy a meal of meat, a couple of
>vegetables, garnishes, etc., if I had to eat it one thing at a time. I
>like the contrast of textures and flavors when eaten together, although not
>necessarily in the same bite.

Fact is, I like either, at different times.

I sometimes serve a dinner one course at a time, to savor
each course. Othertimes, I manage to get all the dishes ready
at the same time and serve them up together. For the latter,
I have some 12" diameter dinner plates that can truly hold the
entire meal at once, without the stuff running into each other.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>
>> Time to gripe :P
>>
>> My husband seems to totally fail to grasp the concept that vegetables
>> can be more than a vehicle for sauce/dressing... or for that matter
>> that a healthy diet includes them every day. I think he'd be happy to
>> eat them once a week! I'm sure that he doesn't understand why I want
>> to eat them every day...

> I like to have vegetables with every meal, but I before a small amount of
> several different vegetables. I don't see a need for a lot of sauces or
> dressings on them. A bit of salt, maybe a little butter, or a little
> lemon juice, that's all I need on them. Jut don't give me huge amounts
> of them.
> And no lettuce thanks. It's a waste of time and energy, and it is
> something that absolutely has to have dressing of some sort.

Try stir frying lettuce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jun 2006 22:29:55 -0700, " >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

<snip>

>The person I can't stand to watch eat is my mother. She literally
>mixes everything together on her plate. Each forkful of food will
>contain 4 to 5 different food items on it. We're not talking about
>foods that go together either peas and carrots or beans and corn.
>She'll mix macaroni and cheese with pinto beans, corn bread, stewed
>tomatoes, and coleslaw.

When the DH tackles bacon, fried eggs and grits on a plate, he chops
everything up and mixes it all together. I have offered to run it all
through the blender, but he seems to find this way more entertaining.

He also hates tomatoes and avocados, laughs at every menu outside of
Maryland that offers Maryland crab cakes (claims they're not), and
makes an omelet out of cubed white bread, eggs, American cheese and
bacon bits that winds up looking like a sofa cushion.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)