Me

Default Cauliflower

Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are beurre noir
and cheese. Thanks

Julia Altshuler

Me wrote:
> Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are beurre noir
> and cheese. Thanks

As cauliflower doesn't turn a nasty grey color when exposed to vinegar
or lemon the way broccoli does, I often put vinaigrette on cauliflower
especially in the summer when cold salady vegetables suit me better than
hot buttery ones.

--Lia

Dean G.

"As cauliflower doesn't turn a nasty grey color when exposed to vinegar
or lemon the way broccoli does, I often put vinaigrette on cauliflower
especially in the summer when cold salady vegetables suit me better
than hot buttery ones."

I havce a recipe that uses califlower this way. It also has black
olives, grape tomatoes, and (sugar?) snap beans. Very good and very
colorful. A basil vinaigrette works great with this.

Dean G.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Me wrote on 29 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are
> beurre noir and cheese. Thanks

Try it roasted in the oven...Loads of recipes out there to find, so
there sure to be one to suit your tastes.

...google is your friend.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Doug Kanter

"Me" > wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are beurre noir
> and cheese. Thanks

I've got an Italian recipe that combines it with bowtie pasta or ziti, spicy
Italian sausage, and a very light fresh tomato sauce that "noticeably" (some
might say "heavily" spiced with garlic, a few chili flakes, and dried fennel
seeds which have been bruised in a mortar & pestle. The response I've gotten
to the dish has been good, so I've tried making JUST the cauliflower and the
sauce as a side dish. Works nicely. Start with cauliflower pieces a little
smaller than a golf ball. Blanch for 2 minutes, then combine quickly with
the sauce you've made ahead of time. If you want the flavor to permeate the
cauliflower, sautee it for a few minutes in the sauce. I can't really guide
you as to the the amount of fennel seeds, since it's a matter of taste. But,
a good starting point would be a teaspoon of seeds to 2 cups of sauce. If
you don't have a mortar & pestle, try a rolling pin, or wizzing them in a
food processor VERY BRIEFLY. The idea is bruise them, not turn them into a
granular or powder consistency.

Joseph Littleshoes

Me wrote:

> Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are beurre
> noir
> and cheese. Thanks

After partly steaming or blanching the cauliflowerettes finish cooking
in butter & garlic remove from heat and add fresh lemon juice and black
pepper. Serve with a bit of the lemon butter over the caluiflower.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Lisa Smith

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> Me wrote on 29 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are
> > beurre noir and cheese. Thanks
> >

> Try it roasted in the oven...Loads of recipes out there to find, so
> there sure to be one to suit your tastes.
>
> ...google is your friend.

I was gonna suggest roasting it myself. Got the recipe I use from Egullet.
Even the very picky DH
will eat it roasted.

Lisa aka pagemaster

~patches~

Me wrote:

> Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are beurre noir
> and cheese. Thanks

How about a light white sauce with a little nutmeg? Our favourite ways
for cauliflower, and we eat a lot of it, a cheesy cauliflower soup,
faux mashed potatoes (google), steamed with a little butter, and raw
with veggie dip du jour.
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Julia Altshuler wrote on 29 Jun 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Me wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are
> > beurre noir and cheese. Thanks

> As cauliflower doesn't turn a nasty grey color when exposed to
> vinegar or lemon the way broccoli does, I often put vinaigrette on
> cauliflower especially in the summer when cold salady vegetables
> suit me better than hot buttery ones.
>

> --Lia

I often brush a vinegrette on veggies on the grill...Usually something
with soya sauce and a dash of toasted sesame oil.
--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
AlleyGator

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > wrote:

>It's not a question of where he grips it!
>It's a simple question of weight ratios!
>
>A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
>
>Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

OT - Cool, my wife bought me 18 episodes for Father's Day. Thank god
"dead parrot" was included.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

Amarantha

"Me" > wrote in
:

> Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are beurre
> noir and cheese. Thanks

I like to fry some ground indian spices and whole mustard seeds and toss
with the cauliflower, alu gobi-style.

nil illegitimi carborundum
Bob (this one)

Amarantha wrote:
> "Me" > wrote
>
>>Can anyone recommend some sauces for it? My two thoughts are beurre
>>noir and cheese. Thanks
>>

> I like to fry some ground indian spices and whole mustard seeds and toss
> with the cauliflower, alu gobi-style.

And for an astonishment, go the other way to simplicity. I cut the whole
curd into smaller curdlets(?), put them into a nuke-safe container,
cover with plastic wrap and cook on full power until it's reasonably
tender. No added water or any other liquid: none necessary. Test it with
a paring knife; the blade should penetrate it easily. Depending on the
size, anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes in my mike.

Salt, a few small dabs of butter and some lemon juice (or orange or
tangerine...) for the simplest and most unencumbered flavor. I've
crumbled bacon over it (and drizzled some hot bacon fat, too). Also,
different dish, crumbled bleu cheese on top and let it melt in.
Dazzling. Done cauli and broc together. Wonderful. Farted like a steam
engine and it was wonderful.

Several cool things about this method. No nasty kitchen smell - also
works with broccoli and cabbage (I cut it into 1/2" strips). Fast. No
wetness nuisance. Full flavor of the veggie.

Pastorio