Andy

Default Dumb waitress II & III.

Fearless readers,

Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.

This time I went to Denny's. Waitress took my order and I said extra
country gravy. Pleasant enough, she brought my coffee. After five
minutes she came back and said "sorry we're out of country fried
steak," and thrust the menu back at me! I claimed I got out of bed
specifically for chicken fried steak and eggs. She looked quite puzzled.
I left.

Damn. So, I drive BACK to IHOP, determined to get my breakfast, knowing
full well I'm asking for it.

I'm seated at IHOP and order my chicken fried steak and eggs. I ask to
substitute biscuits for the pancakes. She says "OK, but it's 'country'
fried steak and eggs."

When she brings my coffee I add "would you please bring extra gravy for
my chicken fried steak, and a couple extra napkins." She says sure but
quietly says "It's 'country' fried ..." Jokingly, I said "stop
correcting me."

Now my meal comes and it's OK, except the side dish only has three
biscuit halves. I ask "where's the other biscuit half?" She tries to
think and replies "I guess it's because you substituted from three
pancakes." HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half biscuit?"
She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with." ????????

I thought about that last statement on the way home and perhaps they do
it like that, but for me, it didn't make a lick of sense at the time.

Kick me!

Andy
jmcquown

Andy wrote:
> Now my meal comes and it's OK, except the side dish only has three
> biscuit halves. I ask "where's the other biscuit half?" She tries to
> think and replies "I guess it's because you substituted from three
> pancakes." HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half
> biscuit?" She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with."
> ????????

ROFL! Okay, now I think I've heard it ALL! That's just too funny... they
come in halves. Yeah, everyone I know bakes half a biscuit at a time.
(giggling)

Jill (fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me)

kilikini

"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
> Fearless readers,

(snippage fun stuff)

> Now my meal comes and it's OK, except the side dish only has three
> biscuit halves. I ask "where's the other biscuit half?" She tries to
> think and replies "I guess it's because you substituted from three
> pancakes." HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half biscuit?"
> She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with." ????????
>
> I thought about that last statement on the way home and perhaps they do
> it like that, but for me, it didn't make a lick of sense at the time.
>
> Kick me!
>
> Andy

What the heck is with your luck, Mr.? I think you have to switch to a
"real" restaurant next time. :~)

kili

Andy

"kilikini" > wrote in news:71gte.146154
:

> "Andy" <Q> wrote in message
> .. .
>> Fearless readers,
>>

> (snippage fun stuff)
>
>> Now my meal comes and it's OK, except the side dish only has three
>> biscuit halves. I ask "where's the other biscuit half?" She tries to
>> think and replies "I guess it's because you substituted from three
>> pancakes." HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half

biscuit?"
>> She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with." ????????
>>
>> I thought about that last statement on the way home and perhaps they

do
>> it like that, but for me, it didn't make a lick of sense at the time.
>>
>> Kick me!
>>
>> Andy

> What the heck is with your luck, Mr.? I think you have to switch to a
> "real" restaurant next time. :~)
>
> kili

kili,

It seems that I left my good luck on a shelf this weekend!

Andy
Sheldon

kilikini wrote:
> "Andy" <Q> wrote:
> > Fearless readers,
> >

> (snippage fun stuff)
>
> > Now my meal comes and it's OK, except the side dish only has three
> > biscuit halves. I ask "where's the other biscuit half?" She tries to
> > think and replies "I guess it's because you substituted from three
> > pancakes." HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half biscuit?"
> > She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with." ????????
> >
> > I thought about that last statement on the way home and perhaps they do
> > it like that, but for me, it didn't make a lick of sense at the time.
> >
> > Kick me!
> >
> > Andy

> What the heck is with your luck, Mr.? I think you have to switch to a
> "real" restaurant next time. :~)
>
> kili

Or enter a rehab facility to kick his drug habit, I don't believe a
word.

Sheldon

AlleyGator

"Sheldon" > wrote:

You must be one miserable old fart. Does anybody besides you measure
up to your incredible standards of perfection and knowledge of all
things? Go ahead, bait me - you'll be disappointed. First Dog, now
Andy and everyone in between. I had you killed for a while, but I
missed the entertainment.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Felice Friese

"jmcquown" wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>> Now my meal comes and it's OK, except the side dish only has three
>> biscuit halves. I ask "where's the other biscuit half?" She tries to
>> think and replies "I guess it's because you substituted from three
>> pancakes." HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half
>> biscuit?" She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with."
>> ????????

> ROFL! Okay, now I think I've heard it ALL! That's just too funny... they
> come in halves. Yeah, everyone I know bakes half a biscuit at a time.
> (giggling)
>
> Jill (fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me)

And all my recipes say they make "12 biscuit halves".

Felice

AlleyGator

Andy <Q> wrote:

>Let him vent. It is anarchy after all.
>
>I took it as a compliment that I could possibly be that creative!

Anarchy can be a good thing.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
sf

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:31:12 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.

LOL! I am not alone... Your chicken fried steak is my eggs benedict
and yet we continue to tilt at windmills.

You should have went to the Cracker Barrel, if there's one near you. I
don't like Dennys or IHOP. I had a bad experience a few years back at
a Denny's when I got an omelette which came with hash browns and the
hash browns smelled like ammonia. I was so sickened by the smell I
couldn't eat it. As for IHOP; I don't like pancakes and the last time
I went there unless you get waffles or French Toast there isn't much on
the breakfast menu that doesn't include pancakes.

Rusty

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:31:12 -0500, Andy <Q> wrote:

>Fearless readers,
>
>Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
>morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.
>
>This time I went to Denny's. Waitress took my order and I said extra
>country gravy. Pleasant enough, she brought my coffee. After five
>minutes she came back and said "sorry we're out of country fried
>steak," and thrust the menu back at me! I claimed I got out of bed
>specifically for chicken fried steak and eggs. She looked quite puzzled.
>I left.
>
>Damn. So, I drive BACK to IHOP, determined to get my breakfast, knowing
>full well I'm asking for it.
>
>I'm seated at IHOP and order my chicken fried steak and eggs. I ask to
>substitute biscuits for the pancakes. She says "OK, but it's 'country'
>fried steak and eggs."
>
>When she brings my coffee I add "would you please bring extra gravy for
>my chicken fried steak, and a couple extra napkins." She says sure but
>quietly says "It's 'country' fried ..." Jokingly, I said "stop
>correcting me."
>
>Now my meal comes and it's OK, except the side dish only has three
>biscuit halves. I ask "where's the other biscuit half?" She tries to
>think and replies "I guess it's because you substituted from three
>pancakes." HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half biscuit?"
>She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with." ????????
>
>I thought about that last statement on the way home and perhaps they do
>it like that, but for me, it didn't make a lick of sense at the time.
>
>Kick me!
>
>Andy

Cheap *******s. They should change their name to IHOBH.

International House of Biscuit Halves.

;-)

Rusty
Dave Smith

" wrote:

> You should have went to the Cracker Barrel, if there's one near you. I
> don't like Dennys or IHOP. I had a bad experience a few years back at
> a Denny's when I got an omelette which came with hash browns and the
> hash browns smelled like ammonia. I was so sickened by the smell I
> couldn't eat it. As for IHOP; I don't like pancakes and the last time
> I went there unless you get waffles or French Toast there isn't much on
> the breakfast menu that doesn't include pancakes.

I have always wondered why the pancakes and waffles offered in pancake
joints are so bad. I understand that mixes are easy to deal with, and when
you are hiring kitchen staff who work cheap you can't expect a gourmet
dish, but pancakes are pretty easy to make. Considering how much they
charge for an order of pancakes, which are pretty cheap to make, their
prime ingredients being flour, milk and eggs, there is lots of room for
profit. I would be willing to pay for good pancakes but my experiences
with restaurant pancakes have never been anything but negative.

As for Cracker Barrel..... I used to frequent one when I was working. We
had a limited number of places to eat in that town so we rotated. After a
few visits, Cracker Barrel was taken out of the rotation.

You get the big head by feeling superior to your waitress? You sound
like a little man with a big head.

You must be low man on the totem pole at work. It is nice to go to
IHOP to lift your spirits.

Andy wrote:
> Fearless readers,
>
> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.

Dee Randall

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> You get the big head by feeling superior to your waitress? You sound
> like a little man with a big head.
>
> You must be low man on the totem pole at work. It is nice to go to
> IHOP to lift your spirits.
>

> Andy wrote:
>> Fearless readers,
>>
>> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
>> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.

IHOP was Mary Hartman's favorite restaurant. Whenever her family was in
trouble, she always suggested that they all gather at the "International
House of Pancakes" to lift their spirits.
Dee

notbob

On 2005-06-19, sf > wrote:

> LOL! I am not alone... Your chicken fried steak is my eggs benedict
> and yet we continue to tilt at windmills.

.....and isn't it pathetic we have to tilt at windmills, that bad CFS
and bad EB have become the expected norm and we are shocked if these
dishes are actually cooked and served well. I haven't run across a
restaurant that can do either, in years.

nb
Shaun aRe

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> You must be one miserable old fart. Does anybody besides you measure
> up to your incredible standards of perfection and knowledge of all
> things? Go ahead, bait me - you'll be disappointed. First Dog, now
> Andy and everyone in between. I had you killed for a while, but I
> missed the entertainment.

I don't KF anyone, never have. I do occasionally like to read Shelly's
posts - it reminds me just how hilarious a true arrogant fool really is.
Plus it gives me a rare chance to be mean to someone who deserves it ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Crybaby

Andy wrote:
> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.
>
> HUH? I asked "what did they do with the other half biscuit?"
> She says "I think biscuits come in halves to begin with." ????????

This cracked me up and brought to mind something that happened to me in
a very nice restaurant about 25 years ago. After being seated by the
hostess and ordering a cocktail with the waiter, I perused the menu.
When I was ready to order, I closed the menu and waited for the waiter.
When he asked me if I was ready to order, I asked if he could please
tell me what the Soup of the Day was. This is the God's honest TRUTH:
He replied, "Today it's Soup du Jour." I waited and that's all he
said! I managed to keep from giggling and, of course, quickly forgot
the other questions I had. To play it safe, I ordered the Gumbo of the
Day and skipped the soup. I wondered for years if it was his first day
on the job...

Wayne Boatwright

Back in the early 1940s my parents stopped at a small roadside restaurant
while on a cross-country trip. They had finished eating their sandwiches
when the waitress asked if they'd like dessert. Without looking at a menu,
my dad replied, "bring us each cherry pie a la mode." The waitress looked
puzzled and told him that they didn't serve anything like that for dessert.
My dad asked if they had any cherry pie and the waitress said they did. He
then asked if they had any vanilla ice cream and the waitress again replied
that they did. My dad then ask the waitress to bring them each a slice of
cherry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Margaret Suran

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Back in the early 1940s my parents stopped at a small roadside restaurant
> while on a cross-country trip. They had finished eating their sandwiches
> when the waitress asked if they'd like dessert. Without looking at a menu,
> my dad replied, "bring us each cherry pie a la mode." The waitress looked
> puzzled and told him that they didn't serve anything like that for dessert.
> My dad asked if they had any cherry pie and the waitress said they did. He
> then asked if they had any vanilla ice cream and the waitress again replied
> that they did. My dad then ask the waitress to bring them each a slice of
> cherry pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Reminds you of "Five Easy Pieces".
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 02:50:47p, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Back in the early 1940s my parents stopped at a small roadside
>> restaurant while on a cross-country trip. They had finished eating
>> their sandwiches when the waitress asked if they'd like dessert.
>> Without looking at a menu, my dad replied, "bring us each cherry pie a
>> la mode." The waitress looked puzzled and told him that they didn't
>> serve anything like that for dessert. My dad asked if they had any
>> cherry pie and the waitress said they did. He then asked if they had
>> any vanilla ice cream and the waitress again replied that they did. My
>> dad then ask the waitress to bring them each a slice of cherry pie with
>> a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
>>

> Reminds you of "Five Easy Pieces".

I must confess that I've never actually seen that film. What was the
incident?

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
JimLane

Not to you, Margaret, but to Wayne"

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Back in the early 1940s my parents stopped at a small roadside
>> restaurant while on a cross-country trip. They had finished eating
>> their sandwiches when the waitress asked if they'd like dessert.
>> Without looking at a menu, my dad replied, "bring us each cherry pie a
>> la mode." The waitress looked puzzled and told him that they didn't
>> serve anything like that for dessert. My dad asked if they had any
>> cherry pie and the waitress said they did. He then asked if they had
>> any vanilla ice cream and the waitress again replied that they did.
>> My dad then ask the waitress to bring them each a slice of cherry pie
>> with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Perhaps they just called it "pie with ice cream?" and she was confused
by the term or had not heard it.

Maybe, the lack of sensitivity to the reigning culture was the stupidity
in play, not the waitress's. There was an assumption being made (that
she would know and understand the term) and a bit of arrogance (the
patronizing re-ordering of the dish). Instead of this bs ritual, maybe,
"how about pie and ice cream?"

jim

Julia Altshuler

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>Reminds you of "Five Easy Pieces".
>>

> I must confess that I've never actually seen that film. What was the
> incident?

It's been years since I've seen it, but I think I remember that the
customer asks for a side of plain rye toast, and the waitress replies
that he can have the chicken salad on rye toast or a side of plain white
toast but not a side of rye toast as that's not on the menu. Nicholson
then asks for chicken salad on rye toast but hold the chicken salad
before clearing the table with a sweep of his hand putting dishes and
glasses all over the floor.

--Lia

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 04:36:18p, JimLane wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Not to you, Margaret, but to Wayne"
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Back in the early 1940s my parents stopped at a small roadside
>>> restaurant while on a cross-country trip. They had finished eating
>>> their sandwiches when the waitress asked if they'd like dessert.
>>> Without looking at a menu, my dad replied, "bring us each cherry pie a
>>> la mode." The waitress looked puzzled and told him that they didn't
>>> serve anything like that for dessert. My dad asked if they had any
>>> cherry pie and the waitress said they did. He then asked if they had
>>> any vanilla ice cream and the waitress again replied that they did.
>>> My dad then ask the waitress to bring them each a slice of cherry pie
>>> with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

> Perhaps they just called it "pie with ice cream?" and she was confused
> by the term or had not heard it.
>
> Maybe, the lack of sensitivity to the reigning culture was the stupidity
> in play, not the waitress's. There was an assumption being made (that
> she would know and understand the term) and a bit of arrogance (the
> patronizing re-ordering of the dish). Instead of this bs ritual, maybe,
> "how about pie and ice cream?"

Whatever... My parents were not arrogant people. I don't think it was a
bs ritual to ascertain if they had pie and if they had ice cream. You can
think what you want. From what I understand, back in the 1940s is was
*quite* common to order pie a la mode.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-0, 06/20/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 6:46:03 PM

notbob

On 2005-06-20, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I must confess that I've never actually seen that film. What was the
> incident?

Nicholson (Dupea) is in a roadside diner and gives his order to an
uptight waitress. The dialogue is as follows:

Dupea: I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes, tomatoes instead, a cup
of coffee, and wheat toast.
Waitress: (She points to the menu) No substitutions.
Dupea: What do you mean? You don't have any tomatoes?
Waitress: Only what's on the menu. You can have a number two - a plain
omelette. It comes with cottage fries and rolls.
Dupea: Yeah, I know what it comes with. But it's not what I want.
Waitress: Well, I'll come back when you make up your mind.
Dupea: Wait a minute. I have made up my mind. I'd like a plain
omelette, no potatoes on the plate, a cup of coffee, and a side order
of wheat toast.
Waitress: I'm sorry, we don't have any side orders of toast...an
English muffin or a coffee roll.
Dupea: What do you mean you don't make side orders of toast? You make
sandwiches, don't you?
Waitress: Would you like to talk to the manager?
Dupea: ...You've got bread and a toaster of some kind?
Waitress: I don't make the rules.
Dupea: OK, I'll make it as easy for you as I can. I'd like an
omelette, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no
mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
Waitress: A number two, chicken sal san, hold the butter, the lettuce
and the mayonnaise. And a cup of coffee. Anything else?
Dupea: Yeah. Now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the
toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't
broken any rules.
Waitress (spitefully): You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
Dupea: I want you to hold it between your knees.
Waitress (turning and telling him to look at the sign that says, "No
Substitutions") Do you see that sign, sir? Yes, you'll all have to
leave. I'm not taking any more of your smartness and sarcasm.
Dupea: You see this sign? (He sweeps all the water glasses and menus
off the table.)

http://www.filmsite.org/five.html

It's a classic!

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 06:53:07p, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2005-06-20, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I must confess that I've never actually seen that film. What was the
>> incident?

> Nicholson (Dupea) is in a roadside diner and gives his order to an
> uptight waitress. The dialogue is as follows:
>
> Dupea: I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes, tomatoes instead, a cup
> of coffee, and wheat toast.
> Waitress: (She points to the menu) No substitutions.
> Dupea: What do you mean? You don't have any tomatoes?
> Waitress: Only what's on the menu. You can have a number two - a plain
> omelette. It comes with cottage fries and rolls.
> Dupea: Yeah, I know what it comes with. But it's not what I want.
> Waitress: Well, I'll come back when you make up your mind.
> Dupea: Wait a minute. I have made up my mind. I'd like a plain
> omelette, no potatoes on the plate, a cup of coffee, and a side order
> of wheat toast.
> Waitress: I'm sorry, we don't have any side orders of toast...an
> English muffin or a coffee roll.
> Dupea: What do you mean you don't make side orders of toast? You make
> sandwiches, don't you?
> Waitress: Would you like to talk to the manager?
> Dupea: ...You've got bread and a toaster of some kind?
> Waitress: I don't make the rules.
> Dupea: OK, I'll make it as easy for you as I can. I'd like an
> omelette, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no
> mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.
> Waitress: A number two, chicken sal san, hold the butter, the lettuce
> and the mayonnaise. And a cup of coffee. Anything else?
> Dupea: Yeah. Now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the
> toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't
> broken any rules.
> Waitress (spitefully): You want me to hold the chicken, huh?
> Dupea: I want you to hold it between your knees.
> Waitress (turning and telling him to look at the sign that says, "No
> Substitutions") Do you see that sign, sir? Yes, you'll all have to
> leave. I'm not taking any more of your smartness and sarcasm.
> Dupea: You see this sign? (He sweeps all the water glasses and menus
> off the table.)
>
> http://www.filmsite.org/five.html
>
> It's a classic!
>
> nb

It is, indeed!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-0, 06/20/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 7:52:12 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 05:41:45p, Julia Altshuler wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>>Reminds you of "Five Easy Pieces".
>>>

>> I must confess that I've never actually seen that film. What was the
>> incident?

> It's been years since I've seen it, but I think I remember that the
> customer asks for a side of plain rye toast, and the waitress replies
> that he can have the chicken salad on rye toast or a side of plain white
> toast but not a side of rye toast as that's not on the menu. Nicholson
> then asks for chicken salad on rye toast but hold the chicken salad
> before clearing the table with a sweep of his hand putting dishes and
> glasses all over the floor.

Thanks, Lia. I vaguely remember hearing this described before , but
couldn't think of it when the film was mentioned.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-0, 06/20/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 8:32:38 PM

JimLane

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 20 Jun 2005 04:36:18p, JimLane wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>>Not to you, Margaret, but to Wayne"

>>Perhaps they just called it "pie with ice cream?" and she was confused
>>by the term or had not heard it.
>>
>>Maybe, the lack of sensitivity to the reigning culture was the stupidity
>>in play, not the waitress's. There was an assumption being made (that
>>she would know and understand the term) and a bit of arrogance (the
>>patronizing re-ordering of the dish). Instead of this bs ritual, maybe,
>>"how about pie and ice cream?"

> Whatever... My parents were not arrogant people. I don't think it was a
> bs ritual to ascertain if they had pie and if they had ice cream. You can
> think what you want. From what I understand, back in the 1940s is was
> *quite* common to order pie a la mode.

WHERE? That is the key. Not necessarily in some out of the way, small
place along a highway. I'm betting it was on the menu: Pie and Ice Cream.

jim
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 11:09:39p, JimLane wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 20 Jun 2005 04:36:18p, JimLane wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>>Not to you, Margaret, but to Wayne"

>>>Perhaps they just called it "pie with ice cream?" and she was confused
>>>by the term or had not heard it.
>>>
>>>Maybe, the lack of sensitivity to the reigning culture was the
>>>stupidity in play, not the waitress's. There was an assumption being
>>>made (that she would know and understand the term) and a bit of
>>>arrogance (the patronizing re-ordering of the dish). Instead of this bs
>>>ritual, maybe, "how about pie and ice cream?"

>> Whatever... My parents were not arrogant people. I don't think it was
>> a bs ritual to ascertain if they had pie and if they had ice cream.
>> You can think what you want. From what I understand, back in the 1940s
>> is was *quite* common to order pie a la mode.
>>

> WHERE? That is the key. Not necessarily in some out of the way, small
> place along a highway. I'm betting it was on the menu: Pie and Ice
> Cream.

I have no idea WHERE. That was over 60 years ago and I wasn't there. My
point was, from what I've been told, that during that period "pie a la
mode" was popular enough to be know almost anywhere, be it podunk or
Manhattan. If it was as popular a term as I've been told, then it didn't
necessarily have to be on the menu to be understood.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Stan Horwitz

In article >, Andy <Q>
wrote:

> Fearless readers,
>
> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.
>
> This time I went to Denny's. Waitress took my order and I said extra
> country gravy. Pleasant enough, she brought my coffee. After five
> minutes she came back and said "sorry we're out of country fried
> steak," and thrust the menu back at me! I claimed I got out of bed
> specifically for chicken fried steak and eggs. She looked quite puzzled.
> I left.
>
> Damn. So, I drive BACK to IHOP, determined to get my breakfast, knowing
> full well I'm asking for it.
>
> I'm seated at IHOP and order my chicken fried steak and eggs. I ask to
> substitute biscuits for the pancakes. She says "OK, but it's 'country'
> fried steak and eggs."

Okay. I just gotta ask, what's the difference between "country fried
steak" and "chicken fried steak?" Please forgive my ignorance; I am a
northerner!
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 21 Jun 2005 12:37:02p, Stan Horwitz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Andy <Q>
> wrote:
>
>> Fearless readers,
>>
>> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
>> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.
>>
>> This time I went to Denny's. Waitress took my order and I said extra
>> country gravy. Pleasant enough, she brought my coffee. After five
>> minutes she came back and said "sorry we're out of country fried
>> steak," and thrust the menu back at me! I claimed I got out of bed
>> specifically for chicken fried steak and eggs. She looked quite puzzled.
>> I left.
>>
>> Damn. So, I drive BACK to IHOP, determined to get my breakfast, knowing
>> full well I'm asking for it.
>>
>> I'm seated at IHOP and order my chicken fried steak and eggs. I ask to
>> substitute biscuits for the pancakes. She says "OK, but it's 'country'
>> fried steak and eggs."

> Okay. I just gotta ask, what's the difference between "country fried
> steak" and "chicken fried steak?" Please forgive my ignorance; I am a
> northerner!

No difference, really.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 21 Jun 2005 12:37:02p, Stan Horwitz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Andy <Q>
> wrote:
>
>> Fearless readers,
>>
>> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
>> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.
>>
>> This time I went to Denny's. Waitress took my order and I said extra
>> country gravy. Pleasant enough, she brought my coffee. After five
>> minutes she came back and said "sorry we're out of country fried
>> steak," and thrust the menu back at me! I claimed I got out of bed
>> specifically for chicken fried steak and eggs. She looked quite puzzled.
>> I left.
>>
>> Damn. So, I drive BACK to IHOP, determined to get my breakfast, knowing
>> full well I'm asking for it.
>>
>> I'm seated at IHOP and order my chicken fried steak and eggs. I ask to
>> substitute biscuits for the pancakes. She says "OK, but it's 'country'
>> fried steak and eggs."

> Okay. I just gotta ask, what's the difference between "country fried
> steak" and "chicken fried steak?" Please forgive my ignorance; I am a
> northerner!

What really gets me are the places that advertise "chicken fried chiekcn"!
Which turns out to be breaded and fried skinless, boneless chicken breast.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
JimLane

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have no idea WHERE. That was over 60 years ago and I wasn't there. My
> point was, from what I've been told, that during that period "pie a la
> mode" was popular enough to be know almost anywhere, be it podunk or
> Manhattan. If it was as popular a term as I've been told, then it didn't
> necessarily have to be on the menu to be understood.

The point is that it WAS NOT understood in this berg, period. She did
understand the ensuing directions and did not tell your father she could
not do that, did she? That is all it takes to make my point: pie and ice
cream.

jim
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> http://www.filmsite.org/five.html
>
> It's a classic!

Yup, and Jack Nicholson is a classic too!

This thread reminds me of a time at least fifteen years ago when I was
sharing a house with a friend in Northeast Philly. After we had just
moved into that house, we decided to go to a nearby diner for dinner.
My friend and I both ordered the turkey dinner special. I am not a fan
of green salads, so when the waitress asked me what dressing I wanted
with the salad that was included with the dinner, I asked for applesauce
instead. The waitress looked at me and said with a non-sympathetic voice
that no substitutions were permitted.

I politely asked if applesauce was available as a side dish. It was. I
pointed out to the waitress that the restaurant would save a bit of
money by making this substitution. The waitress still declined to bring
me applesauce. My friend and I were both famished, otherwise we would
have walked out. I ended up ordering a salad and my friend ate it. Due
to her snoot attitude, we decided not to leave the waitress a tip. If
the waitress would have at least offered to consult with the
restaurant's manager about my request, she would have received a
standard tip, but she was just plain nasty. In all the restaurants where
I have requested applesauce in place of the green salad, this was the
only time my request was ever denied. The waitress could have offered to
consider the applesauce as dressing for the salad. That was the last
time I set foot in that restaurant ... for many years.

Just last summer, I was in that same area at around 8:00pm and I was
hungry and tired after being stuck an hour in a traffic jam on I95 in
Philly. I decided to let bygones be bygones and I went in to get a late
dinner. The service was terrible. I had to wait about 20 minutes just to
receive a glass of water, but I was tired and the time passed by quickky
because I was reading a newspaper.

The restaurant was moderately busy and the food I ordered was lousy. I
ordered a hamburger and french fries; nothing special. The burger was
dripping in fat, the bun was mushy, and even the diet soda I ordered was
flat. The french fries I ordered were also not served until I asked for
them a second time.

After avoiding that diner for fifteen years, I realized I was not
missing anything. Off hand, the name of the restaurant doesn't even come
to mind, even though I drive by it a few times each month when I visit
my parents. That diner must do something right because its still in
business in an area with plenty of other restaurants competing with it.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 21 Jun 2005 01:24:57p, JimLane wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> I have no idea WHERE. That was over 60 years ago and I wasn't there.
>> My point was, from what I've been told, that during that period "pie a
>> la mode" was popular enough to be know almost anywhere, be it podunk or
>> Manhattan. If it was as popular a term as I've been told, then it
>> didn't necessarily have to be on the menu to be understood.
>>

> The point is that it WAS NOT understood in this berg, period. She did
> understand the ensuing directions and did not tell your father she could
> not do that, did she? That is all it takes to make my point: pie and ice
> cream.
>

> jim

As I said...whatever. It's hardly worth the argument.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Linda and Ron Audet

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 21 Jun 2005 12:37:02p, Stan Horwitz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >, Andy <Q>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Fearless readers,
> >>
> >> Now this probably goes under the "You asked for it" category, but this
> >> morning I went back out for chicken fried steak and eggs.
> >>
> >> This time I went to Denny's. Waitress took my order and I said extra
> >> country gravy. Pleasant enough, she brought my coffee. After five
> >> minutes she came back and said "sorry we're out of country fried
> >> steak," and thrust the menu back at me! I claimed I got out of bed
> >> specifically for chicken fried steak and eggs. She looked quite

puzzled.
> >> I left.
> >>
> >> Damn. So, I drive BACK to IHOP, determined to get my breakfast, knowing
> >> full well I'm asking for it.
> >>
> >> I'm seated at IHOP and order my chicken fried steak and eggs. I ask to
> >> substitute biscuits for the pancakes. She says "OK, but it's 'country'
> >> fried steak and eggs."

> > Okay. I just gotta ask, what's the difference between "country fried
> > steak" and "chicken fried steak?" Please forgive my ignorance; I am a
> > northerner!
> >

> No difference, really.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

There may be no difference in many parts of the country. In the part of
Virginia where I grew up, however, chicken fried steak was battered, fried,
and served topped with a white gravy; country fried steak (or just country
steak) was floured, browned, and simmered for hours in a dark brown gravy
with lots of onions. Even today, I love country fried steak and cannot stand
chicken fried steak. But I find that restaurants now tend to use the terms
interchangeably, making it all but impossible to find the real country fried
steak. So I make my own fairly regularly.

Ron

jmcquown

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-06-19, sf > wrote:
>
>> LOL! I am not alone... Your chicken fried steak is my eggs benedict
>> and yet we continue to tilt at windmills.

> ....and isn't it pathetic we have to tilt at windmills, that bad CFS
> and bad EB have become the expected norm and we are shocked if these
> dishes are actually cooked and served well. I haven't run across a
> restaurant that can do either, in years.
>
> nb

Try 'Buzzies Again' in Highland, Illinois. They do both perfectly well
Of course they've been in business 60 years so they've had time to perfect
both!

Jill

notbob

On 2005-06-23, jmcquown > wrote:

> Try 'Buzzies Again' in Highland, Illinois. They do both perfectly well
> Of course they've been in business 60 years so they've had time to perfect
> both!

Thanks for the heads-up, Jill. But, after spending 2 summer months in
IL (who knew humidity could exceed a hundred percent!?), the chances
of me spending any more time there are slim to none. Fortunately,
I've been working on my CFS w/ biscuits and gravy and I'm already way
beyond the crud being passed off in most Places. I did 'em last night
with hash browns and eggs over easy. Damn, it was good! Problem is
the cholesterol. It was all cooked in bacon grease! ....I'm going to
Hell!! ...and soon.

nb
Mad Dan

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-06-20, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > I must confess that I've never actually seen that film. What was the
> > incident?

> Nicholson (Dupea) is in a roadside diner and gives his order to an
> uptight waitress. The dialogue is as follows:
>
> Dupea: I'd like a plain omelette, no potatoes, tomatoes instead, a cup
> of coffee, and wheat toast.
> Waitress: (She points to the menu) No substitutions.

Either I've missed the relevant post somewhere, or this is one of those
cosmic coincidences - because it just so happens that the actress who
played that waitress passed away only this month. (Forgive me if
someone's already posted this)

United Press International

Memorable '5 Easy Pieces' waitress dies

By Jack E. Wilkinson
Jun. 17, 2005 at 10:30AM

Lorna Thayer, who died June 4 at 85 after 40 years before the camera,
was remembered for one brief appearance: the waitress on "Five Easy
Pieces."

In that memorable moment in the 1970 film, as the voice of authority
opposite Jack Nicholson's rebellious Bobby Dupea, a classical pianist
turned oil rigger, the middle-aged Thayer proved to be a formidable
foil in what has come to be known as the "chicken salad scene."

The scene, in which Thayer's character refuses repeatedly to change the
house rules, is considered quintessential Nicholson and has had a long
afterlife -- no Nicholson tribute or compilation of memorable Hollywood
lines does without it.

Thayer died at the Motion Picture and Television Fund retirement home
in Woodland Hills after battling Alzheimer's disease for five years,
the Los Angeles Times said Friday.

Bad waitress tricks D.Currie General Cooking 191 30-03-2006 04:28 PM
Waitress quote of the day modom General Cooking 10 07-02-2006 07:55 PM
Dumb waitress ending Julia Altshuler General Cooking 4 24-06-2005 11:02 PM
Dumb waitress. Andy General Cooking 77 23-06-2005 01:06 AM
Waitress order patrons to die pennyaline General Cooking 39 23-09-2004 02:21 AM