Wanda

Default No Tears Cutting Onions

I have done this twice now and both times it has worked. Next time
you have to chop onions, place your cutting board as close to your
sink as possible yet still having a nice stable work surface. Place a
large pan in the sink closest to you. Turn your hot water on about
1/3 or half. Now chop your onion. The hot running water pulls the
onion vapors towards it and not up in your face. It's worked for me!
I have only used the yellow onions, but I would think it should work
with all onions. I recommend putting the pan in the sink to catch the
water so you can use it to rinse off your dishes and not waste the
water! Be "Froogle" here! ) I just thought I'd share this
information with you all!
BillKirch

>place your cutting board as close to your
>sink as possible yet still having a nice stable work surface. Place a
>large pan in the sink closest to you. Turn your hot water on about
>1/3 or half. Now chop your onion. The hot running water pulls the
>onion vapors towards it and not up in your face.

###############
Or just peel them under cold running water. BG
John Gaughan

When I chop onions while wearing contact lenses the vapors do not bother
me. When I wear glasses I cry.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

kilikini

"John Gaughan" > wrote in message
> When I chop onions while wearing contact lenses the vapors do not bother
> me. When I wear glasses I cry.
>
> --
> John Gaughan
> http://www.johngaughan.net/

That's interesting! I never noticed because I usually try to use Maui
Onions which don't make you cry. I'll have to buy a regular and cut it
wearing contacts and then wearing glasses to "see" (ahem, pun intended) the
difference.

kili

PENMART01

>(BillKirch) wrote
>
>Or just peel them under cold running water.

Wouldn't be so bad if yoose was a goil, makes their nipple hard... but you'd
end up with peepee the size of small woim eating a pair of peas.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
JimLane

PENMART01 wrote:

but you'd
> end up with peepee the size of small woim eating a pair of peas.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

More true life stories from your personal experiences, sheldon?

jim
Goomba38

JimLane wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> but you'd
> > end up with peepee the size of small woim eating a pair of peas.
> >

> > ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> > ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> > *********
> > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````

> More true life stories from your personal experiences, sheldon?
>
> jim

Jim- you seem oddly obsessed with sheldon's wang. What gives?

John Gaughan

Goomba38 wrote:
> Jim- you seem oddly obsessed with sheldon's wang. What gives?

Sheldon's wang is very interesting.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Felice Friese

From the Don't Laugh Until You've Tried It file: Sing, loud and strong, as
you chop. It helps to use a song with a lot of verses (I do "Battle Hymn of
the Republic" or "Onward, Christian Soldiers").

Well, it works for me. There's probably a pseudo-scientific explanation, but
I'm damned if I know what it is.

Felice

J.J. Marie

Hark! I heard "Felice Friese" > say:

> From the Don't Laugh Until You've Tried It file: Sing, loud and strong, as
> you chop. It helps to use a song with a lot of verses (I do "Battle Hymn of
> the Republic" or "Onward, Christian Soldiers").
>
> Well, it works for me. There's probably a pseudo-scientific explanation, but
> I'm damned if I know what it is.

Maybe because when you sing, you're breathing through your mouth rather
than nose? Heck if I know...

J.J. - who luckily doesn't have trouble with onion tears...
Kswck

"Wanda" > wrote in message
om...
> I have done this twice now and both times it has worked. Next time
> you have to chop onions, place your cutting board as close to your
> sink as possible yet still having a nice stable work surface. Place a
> large pan in the sink closest to you. Turn your hot water on about
> 1/3 or half. Now chop your onion. The hot running water pulls the
> onion vapors towards it and not up in your face. It's worked for me!
> I have only used the yellow onions, but I would think it should work
> with all onions. I recommend putting the pan in the sink to catch the
> water so you can use it to rinse off your dishes and not waste the
> water! Be "Froogle" here! ) I just thought I'd share this
> information with you all!

Cooks Illustrated had a piece a couple of months ago that said that the best
way to avoid tears was to burn a candle near your work surface while working
with onions.

notbob

On 2004-04-28, Kswck > wrote:

> Cooks Illustrated had a piece a couple of months ago that said that the best
> way to avoid tears was to burn a candle near your work surface while working
> with onions.

Why am I not surprised?

Another sure-fire technique is to have someone else do it for you or, if you
must do it yourself, peel the onions while holding your head under water.

PBTM is an idiot.

nb
Blair P. Houghton

Kswck > wrote:
>Cooks Illustrated had a piece a couple of months ago that said that the best
>way to avoid tears was to burn a candle near your work surface while working
>with onions.

A breeze from behind your head is the best way. The candle
might create the airflow, as the rising heat from the hot
running water does.

--Blair
"Wrap your head in cellophane."
PENMART01

>Kswck > wrote:
>>Cooks Illustrated had a piece a couple of months ago that said that the best
>>way to avoid tears was to burn a candle near your work surface while
>>working with onions.

Sharp knife, no tears.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Darryl L. Pierce

PENMART01 wrote:

>>Kswck > wrote:
>>>Cooks Illustrated had a piece a couple of months ago that said that the
>>>best way to avoid tears was to burn a candle near your work surface while
>>>working with onions.

> Sharp knife, no tears.

That doesn't seem realistic. Tears are caused by the onion releasing sulfur
compounds into the air, which land on your eye and cause tearing. The
sharper knife may (pardon the pun) cut the number of cells actually
ruptured by slicing, but I don't think it will reduce it enough to stop
tearing.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
PENMART01

> "Darryl L. Pierce" drubbed:
>
>PENMART01 wrote:

>> Sharp knife, no tears.

>That doesn't seem realistic. Tears are caused by the onion releasing sulfur
>compounds into the air, which land on your eye and cause tearing. The
>sharper knife may (pardon the pun) cut the number of cells actually
>ruptured by slicing, but <STRONG>I don't think</STRONG> it will reduce it

enough to stop
>tearing.

There's your problem.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Darryl L. Pierce

PENMART01 wrote:

>>> Sharp knife, no tears.

>>That doesn't seem realistic. Tears are caused by the onion releasing
>>sulfur compounds into the air, which land on your eye and cause tearing.
>>The sharper knife may (pardon the pun) cut the number of cells actually
>>ruptured by slicing, but <STRONG>I don't think</STRONG> it will reduce it

> enough to stop
>>tearing.

> There's your problem.

No, slicing onions with my well-sharpened knives and having tears rolling
down my face is my problem. The above is my stated opinion.

I think the only way to prevent tearing is to find a way to stop the sulphur
compounds for coming into contact with your eye. Goggles, glasses, welding
mask, scuba mask, large plastic bag, whatever...

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
PENMART01

>>>That doesn't seem realistic. Tears are caused by the onion releasing
>>>sulfur compounds into the air, which land on your eye and cause tearing.
>>>The sharper knife may (pardon the pun) cut the number of cells actually
>>>ruptured by slicing, but I don't think it will reduce it

>> enough to stop
>>>tearing.

>> There's your problem.

>No, slicing onions with my well-sharpened knives and having tears rolling
>down my face is my problem. The above is my stated opinion.
>
>I think the only way to prevent tearing is to find a way to stop the sulphur
>compounds for coming into contact with your eye. Goggles, glasses, welding
>mask, scuba mask, large plastic bag, whatever...

Yeah, a plastic bag...

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Darryl L. Pierce

PENMART01 wrote:

>>> There's your problem.

>>No, slicing onions with my well-sharpened knives and having tears rolling
>>down my face is my problem. The above is my stated opinion.
>>
>>I think the only way to prevent tearing is to find a way to stop the
>>sulphur compounds for coming into contact with your eye. Goggles, glasses,
>>welding mask, scuba mask, large plastic bag, whatever...

> Yeah, a plastic bag...

With a gasoline soaked rag as an air filter?

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Blair P. Houghton