zxcvbob

Default what to do with turnip greens?

I planted tyfon in my garden this year, which is a large fast growing
"greens". I've harvested some, and they taste like turnip greens, only
milder. I'm the only one in my family that will eat boiled turnip
greens, and I don't like them all that much. I've seen similar-looking
greens at an Asian market. Does anybody have any interesting recipes or
ideas for turnip greens? I probably shouldn't have planted them, but I
hate to waste them. Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob
Bubba

zxcvbob wrote:

> I planted tyfon in my garden this year, which is a large fast growing
> "greens". I've harvested some, and they taste like turnip greens,
> only milder. I'm the only one in my family that will eat boiled
> turnip greens, and I don't like them all that much. I've seen
> similar-looking greens at an Asian market. Does anybody have any
> interesting recipes or ideas for turnip greens? I probably shouldn't
> have planted them, but I hate to waste them. Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Follow a recipe for Kale Soup....but use the "turnip" greens.

Use them like grape leaves....so little is used, they are not as strong.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

The Cook

zxcvbob > wrote:

>I planted tyfon in my garden this year, which is a large fast growing
>"greens". I've harvested some, and they taste like turnip greens, only
>milder. I'm the only one in my family that will eat boiled turnip
>greens, and I don't like them all that much. I've seen similar-looking
>greens at an Asian market. Does anybody have any interesting recipes or
>ideas for turnip greens? I probably shouldn't have planted them, but I
>hate to waste them. Thanks.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

Have you tried sauteing them with olive oil, onion and garlic? Add a
few flakes of red pepper.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, zxcvbob wrote:

> I planted tyfon in my garden this year, which is a large fast growing
> "greens". I've harvested some, and they taste like turnip greens, only
> milder. I'm the only one in my family that will eat boiled turnip
> greens, and I don't like them all that much. I've seen similar-looking
> greens at an Asian market. Does anybody have any interesting recipes or
> ideas for turnip greens? I probably shouldn't have planted them, but I
> hate to waste them. Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Well, I have an idea, but... ...spritz 'em with weed killer.

Sorry. Mea Culpa.

Elaine <g>

Sheldon

zxcvbob wrote:
> I planted tyfon in my garden this year, which is a large fast growing
> "greens". I've harvested some, and they taste like turnip greens, only
> milder. I'm the only one in my family that will eat boiled turnip
> greens, and I don't like them all that much. I've seen similar-looking
> greens at an Asian market. Does anybody have any interesting recipes or
> ideas for turnip greens? I probably shouldn't have planted them, but I
> hate to waste them. Thanks.

If you need to hide them try burying your turnip greens under a mess of
blackeyed peas with smoked pork... if all you have is bacon that will
do too. I happen to enjoy all types of greens, kale, collard, mustard,
turnip, beet, and especially cabbage. Just so happens I have some
extra space in my garden, gonna go with a couple dozen bok choy... the
white stems are great in stir fries but I love the green leaves in
soups... bok choy is a form of cabbage.

Sheldon

enigma

"Sheldon" > wrote in
ups.com:

> If you need to hide them try burying your turnip greens
> under a mess of blackeyed peas with smoked pork... if all
> you have is bacon that will do too. I happen to enjoy all
> types of greens, kale, collard, mustard, turnip, beet, and
> especially cabbage. Just so happens I have some extra
> space in my garden, gonna go with a couple dozen bok
> choy... the white stems are great in stir fries but I love
> the green leaves in soups... bok choy is a form of cabbage.

cabbage? yum. got any really good cabbage recipes? or kale...
trying to get the Kid interested in kale (he already likes
cabbage)
lee
Sandi

zxcvbob wrote:
> I planted tyfon in my garden this year, which is a large fast growing
> "greens". I've harvested some, and they taste like turnip greens, only
> milder. I'm the only one in my family that will eat boiled turnip
> greens, and I don't like them all that much. I've seen similar-looking
> greens at an Asian market. Does anybody have any interesting recipes or
> ideas for turnip greens? I probably shouldn't have planted them, but I
> hate to waste them. Thanks.

The compost pile? Fry some bacon, drain off most of the fat and stir
fry the greens, Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon pieces.

Sandi

Sheldon

enigma wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> >
> > If you need to hide them try burying your turnip greens
> > under a mess of blackeyed peas with smoked pork... if all
> > you have is bacon that will do too. I happen to enjoy all
> > types of greens, kale, collard, mustard, turnip, beet, and
> > especially cabbage. Just so happens I have some extra
> > space in my garden, gonna go with a couple dozen bok
> > choy... the white stems are great in stir fries but I love
> > the green leaves in soups... bok choy is a form of cabbage.

> cabbage? yum. got any really good cabbage recipes? or kale...
> trying to get the Kid interested in kale (he already likes
> cabbage)

Kids typically like noddles, so why not fried cabbage and noodles...
coarsley shred an entire large head of green cabbage and place in large
pot with a half stick of butter, melted... add salt and pepper to taste
and cook over med-low heat until cabbage is wilted/tender. Then stir
in a pound of pre-cooked wide egg noodles. That's it. I see no reason
kale couldn't replace the cabbage. This dish goes great with meat loaf
and brown gravy, and a side of carrot coins for color and antioxidents.
Use curly kale and curly egg noodles... I just know there's a kid's
name in there.

Sheldon

Brick

On 4-Jun-2005, zxcvbob > wrote:

> I planted tyfon in my garden this year, which is a large fast growing
> "greens". I've harvested some, and they taste like turnip greens, only
> milder. I'm the only one in my family that will eat boiled turnip
> greens, and I don't like them all that much. I've seen similar-looking
> greens at an Asian market. Does anybody have any interesting recipes or
> ideas for turnip greens? I probably shouldn't have planted them, but I
> hate to waste them. Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Spinach, Collards and Turnip Greens benefit from a small quantity of
Balsami vinegar. Start with about 1 tsp per quart of liquid and greens
and adjust to your taste. YMMV.
--
The Brick® said that (Work harder; millions on welfare depend on you. )

Turnip greens Todd Diabetic 17 26-07-2013 08:49 PM
Turnip Greens question Bob123 General Cooking 17 22-03-2012 07:20 AM
Southern Turnip Greens and Ham Hocks Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2006 03:30 AM
Granny's Turnip Greens luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 27-10-2003 04:57 AM
Turnip Greens and Turnip Roots From the Deep South a la Nita [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:08 AM