Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turnip Greens question

I have been cooking turnip greens for some time. I just
cut up the greens, stems and all, and put them in boiling
water for ten minutes. It works well for me.

However, I recently went to a number of on-line cookbooks
and they all say to "remover the stems because the stems
are bitter". I haven't observed this to be accurate. When cooked
they taste, to me, just like the leaves.

In fact, for mature greens, the stems are very large, much
like miniature celery, and I separate them , cut them in
1/2 inch lengths, and cook them in vegetable soup like
celery. Works great - very tender, no particular taste- like
cooked celery.

So , my question to the cooks here is whether they cook
the stems along with the greens like I do, or just automatically
discard them, as the cookbooks say ... ??????
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob123" > wrote in message
> I have been cooking turnip greens for some time. I just
> cut up the greens, stems and all, and put them in boiling
> water for ten minutes. It works well for me.
>
> However, I recently went to a number of on-line cookbooks
> and they all say to "remover the stems because the stems
> are bitter". I haven't observed this to be accurate. When cooked
> they taste, to me, just like the leaves.

(snippage)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to online cookbooks. If it works for you,
keep on chopping and cooking stems and all

Take broccoli, for example. A lot of people say to cut the large stalks off
broccoli and discard them. I don't. I'll cut off the very bottom of the
stalks, then cut the top into florets. I finely chop the stems and steam
them right along with the florets. They taste just the same. They
certainly aren't tough (or bitter). Works great in broccoli soup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 07:42:10 -0700 (PDT), Bob123 >
wrote:

>I have been cooking turnip greens for some time. I just
>cut up the greens, stems and all, and put them in boiling
>water for ten minutes. It works well for me.
>
>However, I recently went to a number of on-line cookbooks
>and they all say to "remover the stems because the stems
>are bitter". I haven't observed this to be accurate. When cooked
>they taste, to me, just like the leaves.
>
>In fact, for mature greens, the stems are very large, much
>like miniature celery, and I separate them , cut them in
>1/2 inch lengths, and cook them in vegetable soup like
>celery. Works great - very tender, no particular taste- like
>cooked celery.
>
>So , my question to the cooks here is whether they cook
>the stems along with the greens like I do, or just automatically
>discard them, as the cookbooks say ... ??????

It's silly to discard the stems from any greens, just treat them as as
separate vegetable... I like collards stems sliced, simmered, and
served with butter, delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 07:42:10 -0700 (PDT), Bob123 >
> wrote:
>
>>I have been cooking turnip greens for some time. I just
>>cut up the greens, stems and all, and put them in boiling
>>water for ten minutes. It works well for me.
>>
>>However, I recently went to a number of on-line cookbooks
>>and they all say to "remover the stems because the stems
>>are bitter". I haven't observed this to be accurate. When cooked
>>they taste, to me, just like the leaves.
>>
>>In fact, for mature greens, the stems are very large, much
>>like miniature celery, and I separate them , cut them in
>>1/2 inch lengths, and cook them in vegetable soup like
>>celery. Works great - very tender, no particular taste- like
>>cooked celery.
>>
>>So , my question to the cooks here is whether they cook
>>the stems along with the greens like I do, or just automatically
>>discard them, as the cookbooks say ... ??????

> It's silly to discard the stems from any greens, just treat them as as
> separate vegetable... I like collards stems sliced, simmered, and
> served with butter, delicious.

Interesting, I'll have to try that. But fresh greens (turnip, collards,
even spinach) aren't in season here yet. And despite the wide distribution
and availability of fresh vegetables across the country, I rarely find
greens (other than bagged "salad blends") at Publix this time of year.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bull" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Bob123 > wrote:
>
>> I have been cooking turnip greens for some time. I just
>> cut up the greens, stems and all, and put them in boiling
>> water for ten minutes. It works well for me.
>>
>> However, I recently went to a number of on-line cookbooks
>> and they all say to "remover the stems because the stems
>> are bitter". I haven't observed this to be accurate. When cooked
>> they taste, to me, just like the leaves.
>>
>> In fact, for mature greens, the stems are very large, much
>> like miniature celery, and I separate them , cut them in
>> 1/2 inch lengths, and cook them in vegetable soup like
>> celery. Works great - very tender, no particular taste- like
>> cooked celery.
>>
>> So , my question to the cooks here is whether they cook
>> the stems along with the greens like I do, or just automatically
>> discard them, as the cookbooks say ... ??????

> I don't throw them away and I also agree they aren't much different than
> the greens. I take the largest part of the stem off and chop it up and
> start them first, later adding the leaves. The best greens IMO are
> cooked a long time. A couple of pork chops on top never seems to ruin
> 'em.
>
> BULL

I would have said add a smoked ham hock or a couple of smoked turkey wings.
Add some white vinegar or lemon juice Simmer low and slow. This is the
old south (USian) style method. Cook until the greens are nice and tender,
about an hour.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

>Take broccoli, for example. A lot of people say to cut the large stalks off
>broccoli and discard them. I don't. I'll cut off the very bottom of the
>stalks, then cut the top into florets. I finely chop the stems and steam
>them right along with the florets. They taste just the same. They
>certainly aren't tough (or bitter). Works great in broccoli soup

I agree. I save the stalks for soup. Cut 'em the same size as carrots
and parsnips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 1:38 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> I would have said add a smoked ham hock or a couple of smoked turkey wings.
> Add some white vinegar or lemon juice Simmer low and slow. This is the
> old south (USian) style method. Cook until the greens are nice and tender,
> about an hour.
>
> Jill

Well, that sounds like good advice. However, in my experience, ten
minutes in a rolling boil has always been enough for greens by
themselves. I usually just fish out the biggest piece of stem I can
find, and see if it is nice and mushy tender. If not , a couple more
ninutes will always do it. I am guessing your "one hour" is for the
meat you add, and that sounds right to me.
On exception I recently ran into. I have some collards that are
bolting,
and I took the leaves on them and it took aobut a half hour for them
get to the tenderness I wanted... Apparently, they get really tough
when they bolt.
Regarding the other posts about cooking the stalks, that has
also
been my experience. The stalks on collard after it has bolted was
pretty tough the last time I tried it. Edible, but nothing I would
serve
to guests (except possibly a brother-in-law). :>)))

Thanks to all who replied. I enjoy reading the posts on this
group, and I'm sure it will help me agreat deal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:32:19 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Bob123" > wrote in message
>> I have been cooking turnip greens for some time. I just
>> cut up the greens, stems and all, and put them in boiling
>> water for ten minutes. It works well for me.
>>
>> However, I recently went to a number of on-line cookbooks
>> and they all say to "remover the stems because the stems
>> are bitter". I haven't observed this to be accurate. When cooked
>> they taste, to me, just like the leaves.
>>

>(snippage)
>
>I wouldn't pay too much attention to online cookbooks. If it works for you,
>keep on chopping and cooking stems and all
>
>Take broccoli, for example. A lot of people say to cut the large stalks off
>broccoli and discard them. I don't. I'll cut off the very bottom of the
>stalks, then cut the top into florets. I finely chop the stems and steam
>them right along with the florets. They taste just the same. They
>certainly aren't tough (or bitter). Works great in broccoli soup

I peel the stems and slice them into salads. I put the flowerettes in
salads too. I like raw broccoli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> fresh greens (turnip, collards, even spinach) aren't in season here yet.

This is the *best* time of year for collards and kale. You haven't even
looked, have you? This is just another Jill-ism, like your "no catfish"
bullshit.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob123 wrote:

> I have some collards that are bolting, and I took the leaves on them and it took aobut a half hour for them to get to the tenderness I wanted... Apparently, they get really tough when they bolt.

Very-thin slicing against the grain can alleviate that kind of problem.
For example, Iberian kale can be very tough and stringy, but there are
special slicing machines at the Spanish and Portuguese markets which cut
the kale into thin ribbons for cooking.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob123" > wrote in message
> On Mar 15, 1:38 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

>> I would have said add a smoked ham hock or a couple of smoked turkey
>> wings.
>> Add some white vinegar or lemon juice Simmer low and slow. This is
>> the
>> old south (USian) style method. Cook until the greens are nice and
>> tender,
>> about an hour.
>>
>> Jill

> Well, that sounds like good advice. However, in my experience, ten
> minutes in a rolling boil has always been enough for greens by
> themselves. I usually just fish out the biggest piece of stem I can
> find, and see if it is nice and mushy tender. If not , a couple more
> ninutes will always do it. I am guessing your "one hour" is for the
> meat you add, and that sounds right to me.

Actually, smoked ham hocks or smoked turkey wings are already cooked. No, I
said low and slow because boiling greens isn't something I'd do. I don't
want them to cook in 10 minutes. I want them to cook down until tender.
Time to develop that "pot likker" which results from long slow cooking.

> On exception I recently ran into. I have some collards that are
> bolting,

I have no idea what "bolting" means.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:
> "Bob123" wrote:
>
>> I have some collards that are bolting,

>I have no idea what "bolting" means.

Bolting means the plant is going to seed, like when basil begins to
flower. Leafy greens are cool weather crops so when suddenly there's
a warm spell the plant growth will spurt and it will try to reproduce
by flowering and making seeds. With leafy greens this growth can be
dramatic and occur over night. The plant doesn't know that the
pollenating insects may not have emerged so there won't be any seeds
produced but the plant's energy will be diverted from growing leaves
to flowering so the remaining leaves will become tough and bitter.
Bolting is very common among cool weather crops, especially those in
the cabbage family (cruciferous). In home gardens it's best to
harvest the crop at the first sign of flowering and break off the
flower spike. I used to grow various greens but they are very labor
intensive with weeding so I buy them instead, the local crop should be
at the market very soon now. Produce is seasonal, you may not find
fresh greens in your local markets yet because the local crop has not
yet been harvested and/or they are not yet ready to harvest elsewhere
for shipping. Greens are no different from tomatoes or any other
crop, they are seasonal... greens are more seasonal than most produce
because they are so prone to bolting, that's why so much is
canned/frozen, for best quality it needs to be harvested before it
bolts. Most of the fresh greens sold where you live are very likely
grown where I live and shipped south. Greens are considered cuisine
of the south but they don't grow nearly so well in the south as in the
northern climes.... in warm climes they grow too rapidly, they begin
to bolt before many leaves have developed. If you want greens all
year buy frozen, they are excellent... or try some from the small
cannerys that proudce "soul food style" seasoned veggies, many are
very good. The Margaret Holmes brand is excellent, I buy many of
their products, I love their various seasoned beans. The Walmart here
carries many of their products and they are priced very reasonably.
They do have pretty good seasoned greens too... you try them and tell
me how they stand up to homemade southern style:
http://www.margaretholmes.com/produc...asoned-greens/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>> On exception I recently ran into. I have some collards that are
>> bolting,

> I have no idea what "bolting" means.

It has two meanings which you need to know: First, it refers to the
specific stage in a plant's growth when it starts producing seeds.
Second, it describes what John does whenever you mention money.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 9:41 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Bob123" > wrote in message

> > On Mar 15, 1:38 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> >> I would have said add a smoked ham hock or a couple of smoked turkey
> >> wings.
> >> Add some white vinegar or lemon juice Simmer low and slow. This is
> >> the
> >> old south (USian) style method. Cook until the greens are nice and
> >> tender,
> >> about an hour.

> >> Jill

> > Well, that sounds like good advice. However, in my experience, ten
> > minutes in a rolling boil has always been enough for greens by
> > themselves. I usually just fish out the biggest piece of stem I can
> > find, and see if it is nice and mushy tender. If not , a couple more
> > ninutes will always do it. I am guessing your "one hour" is for the
> > meat you add, and that sounds right to me.

> Actually, smoked ham hocks or smoked turkey wings are already cooked. No, I
> said low and slow because boiling greens isn't something I'd do. I don't
> want them to cook in 10 minutes. I want them to cook down until tender.
> Time to develop that "pot likker" which results from long slow cooking.
>
> > On exception I recently ran into. I have some collards that are
> > bolting,

> I have no idea what "bolting" means.
>
> Jill

Jill, collards, and turnip greens just grow, get bigger and bigger,
and then almost overnight a big stalk comes up in the center
and shoots skyward. It grows very fast, and in a week the "bolt"
will be maybe 5 or 6 feet high, sticking up from the center of the
leaf bunch and heading skyward. Then, near the top of the bolt,
yellow flowers form. That turns into seeds, or seed pods.
In collards, it is pods that have seeds in them about the size
of a BB. My turnips haven't seeded yet, and this is the first time
I've gone thru this with turnip greens, so I'm not sure how the
seeds are presented. But I'll know in a week or two.
Senior Member

Location: New York

I would never prefer online cookbooks. Cut off the bottom of the
stalks, then cut the top into florets.Then chop the stems and steam
them. It is the most simple way.

Turnip greens Todd Diabetic 17 26-07-2013 08:49 PM
Southern Turnip Greens and Ham Hocks Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2006 03:30 AM
what to do with turnip greens? zxcvbob General Cooking 8 01-07-2005 09:55 PM
Granny's Turnip Greens luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 27-10-2003 04:57 AM
Turnip Greens and Turnip Roots From the Deep South a la Nita [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:08 AM