Dimitri

Default Japanese Curry day

I work is a fairly large office - the small (<20) department here has a
tradition - on a persons birthday or a new employee or the last day of a person
leaving we all go out to lunch together and the celebrant doesn't pay.

Today is such a day and we're going to a local Japanese restaurant "Curry House"
They have a few stores in the LA Area.

It occurred to me some people may not have tasted "Japanese Curry" sauce- rice-
gravy or the pickled condiments served with the curry.

If you have not - and you get a chance - try it. It is very very different from
Indian Curry.

Dimitri

notbob

On 2005-05-06, Dimitri > wrote:

> If you have not - and you get a chance - try it. It is very very different from
> Indian Curry.

Got any recipes?

nb
aem

Dimitri wrote:
> [snip]
> Today is such a day and we're going to a local Japanese restaurant
> "Curry House" They have a few stores in the LA Area.
>
> It occurred to me some people may not have tasted "Japanese Curry"
> sauce- rice- gravy or the pickled condiments served with the curry.
>
> If you have not - and you get a chance - try it. It is very very
> different from Indian Curry.

Is it the one in Weller Court? I used to go there years ago and liked
it a lot. The pickled onions were especially good among the
condiments. If I recall correctly, there was a big ground meat patty
on the menu....At any rate, Japanese curry is pretty easy to replicate
at home. There seems to be one standard sauce (yellow-brown) they call
curry, unlike the Indian style where every curry is different. So all
you need is a jar of Japanese curry sauce.... -aem

George

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-05-06, Dimitri > wrote:
>

>>If you have not - and you get a chance - try it. It is very very different from
>>Indian Curry.

> Got any recipes?
>
> nb

The easiest way to make Japanese curry(and the way most Japanese
households would) is to use "Vermont Curry":

http://www.house-foods.com/our_produ..._products.html

It comes in 3 different heats and it can be found in most Asian markets.
The other common one is made by "S&B". We commonly make it using chicken
thighs. I like the taste of the Vermont curry best.

Dimitri

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-05-06, Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> If you have not - and you get a chance - try it. It is very very different
>> from
>> Indian Curry.

> Got any recipes?
>
> nb

Traditionally the stuff is called a curry roux to make the base sauce:

http://japanesefood.about.com/librar...blcurrymix.htm

Once the sauce is made then any other products such as a hamburger patty or a
Tonkatsu (pork cutlet) or a curry stew is served in a bowl on a separate plate
they serve the rice.

Dimitri

Joseph Littleshoes

Dimitri wrote:

> I work is a fairly large office - the small (<20) department here has
> tradition - on a persons birthday or a new employee or the last day of
> a person
> leaving we all go out to lunch together and the celebrant doesn't pay.
>
> Today is such a day and we're going to a local Japanese restaurant
> "Curry House"
> They have a few stores in the LA Area.
>
> It occurred to me some people may not have tasted "Japanese Curry"
> sauce- rice-
> gravy or the pickled condiments served with the curry.
>
> If you have not - and you get a chance - try it. It is very very
> different from
> Indian Curry.
>
> Dimitri

There is a commercial Japanese brand available called "Golden Curry" in
mild, medium and hot. While i prefer an Indian curry the "elderly
relative" i live with prefers the Japanese. It comes in a paste and
keeps for a long time. Is a just add water type of thing, though i often
sauté onions or other veggies with shrimp or chicken or other meat and
then add the curry and water and about 20 minuet later one has a nice
big pot of curry.

One thing that amazed me is that i can get the same size package for 3 -
4 dollars (U.S.) in most ordinary "safeway" or other large American
grocery stores that i get for about $ 1.75 in my local "Chinatown".

The Thai curries are more like the Japanese than the Indian and hotter,
more distinctly flavoured at least IMO.

If any one is interested i have a recipe that call for 12 large onions
and is called Roosevelt curry.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Chris Lemon

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> One thing that amazed me is that i can get the same size package for 3 -
> 4 dollars (U.S.) in most ordinary "safeway" or other large American
> grocery stores that i get for about $ 1.75 in my local "Chinatown".

I have found this to be true of most Asian ingredients. While it's not a
full-blown Asian market per se, we have a place called Central Market here
in Seattle that has a huge Asian section, and the same box of noodles that
is two-fitty anywhere else is a buck-twenty there. A four-dollar bottle of
oyster sauce is $1.79.

So basically I shop for Asian stuff seperately from the rest of my
groceries...when I get low, I make a list and make a Central Market run...

--
Chris Lemon

http://fredsmythe.com
EFNet: FredSmyth

> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> I work is a fairly large office - the small (<20) department here has
>> tradition - on a persons birthday or a new employee or the last day of
>> a person
>> leaving we all go out to lunch together and the celebrant doesn't pay.
>>
>> Today is such a day and we're going to a local Japanese restaurant
>> "Curry House"
>> They have a few stores in the LA Area.
>>
>> It occurred to me some people may not have tasted "Japanese Curry"
>> sauce- rice-
>> gravy or the pickled condiments served with the curry.
>>
>> If you have not - and you get a chance - try it. It is very very
>> different from
>> Indian Curry.
>>
>> Dimitri

> There is a commercial Japanese brand available called "Golden Curry" in
> mild, medium and hot. While i prefer an Indian curry the "elderly
> relative" i live with prefers the Japanese. It comes in a paste and
> keeps for a long time. Is a just add water type of thing, though i often
> sauté onions or other veggies with shrimp or chicken or other meat and
> then add the curry and water and about 20 minuet later one has a nice
> big pot of curry.
>

> The Thai curries are more like the Japanese than the Indian and hotter,
> more distinctly flavoured at least IMO.
>
> If any one is interested i have a recipe that call for 12 large onions
> and is called Roosevelt curry.
> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes

Curry Shrimp: http://caribbeanfoodrecipes.net/curry-shrimp Ryan Augustine Recipes 0 18-11-2011 02:31 AM
REVIEW: Trader Joe's Tuna in Green Curry and Tuna in Red Panang Curry Mark Thorson General Cooking 5 10-01-2011 06:23 AM
Japanese Curry Ian Asian Cooking 5 03-08-2010 09:52 AM
Japanese Kare (curry) Steve B. General Cooking 2 10-09-2004 02:11 AM
Zucchini-Curry Eintopf (Zucchini Curry Stew) Beth Martin Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2004 02:19 AM