Posted to alt.food.asian
Ian Ian is offline

Default Japanese Curry

Hi -

My local Lotte store was selling packs of Japanese curry sauce base
cheap this weekend, and I finally broke down and bought two. I made a
chicken curry with one block tonight, and was surprised at how delicious
it was.

So, I looked up 'curry' in my Japanese cookbooks. Two fo them told me
how to use the little blocks of curry base, but nobody told me how to
make the curry base myself.

Tonight I found a posting here
http://asianhomestylecooking.tribe.n...0-d65ac41e0d70
that does describe it, and I thought some of you might be interested too.

I repeat the recipe he

40 servings...that's right. I said 40!

Ingredients:
for the roux:
*1/4 cup yellow curry powder (less if spicy, or more to taste)
6 yellow onions, minced
1 cup flour
7 quarts stock (beef for meat version, veggie and Bragg's Amino's for
vegetarian)
2 cups reduced apple juice (begin with 4 and reduce to 2)
4 Tbls grated fresh ginger
4 Tbls fresh chopped garlic
2 Tbls garam masala
* 1/4 cup canola oil or clarified butter or combination

For Curry:
6 to 8 lbs stew meat, cut into large bite size pieces for meat version,
or *2 lbs tempeh for vegetarian
*Splash of apple juice
10 lbs potato, or *14 lbs for vegetarian, peeled, cut into large bite
size pieces
6 lbs carrots, or *8 lbs for vegetarian, peeled and cut into large moon
shapes
6 lbs onion, or *8 lbs for vegetarian
(optional additional vegetables: green beans cut in half, quartered
mushrooms, firm white parts of bok choy- green parts may be added to
another dish, turnips, etc.)

Directions for roux:
Heat stockand juice in pot.
Saute onion in oil or butter slowly until browned, about 20 minutes. Add
garlic and ginger. Blend in flour and curry powder to form roux and
slowly sir in stock/juice mixture til thickened. Add garam masala last.
Adjust seasoning as needed and add cayenne if a spicier roux is desired.
Continue to cook over low heat, stirring ocassionally.

For Curry:
Prepare and cut all vegetables, meat and/or tempeh into large bite size
pieces. Cook meat and/or tempeh in lightly oiled saute pan over high
heat til seared on all sides. Remove and add to roux. Add a splash of
apple juice to saute pan while still hot to deglaze and then add a few
tbls roux to saute pan, then add back to roux pot. Add vegetables to
roux in order of cooking time, begining with onions, potatoes, carrots,
turnips (if using), beans, mushrooms and ending with bok choy (if using).
Reduce heat and simmer curry til meat is cooked, or until ready to serve.

There is also a version that proportionately cuts the recipe to 8 servings:

8 servings

Ingredients:
for the roux:
*2 ½ teaspoons yellow curry powder (less if spicy, or more to taste)
1 yellow onion, minced
3 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon flour
5 2/3 cup (1.4 quarts) stock (beef for meat version, veggie and Bragg's
Amino's for vegetarian)
1/4 cup reduced apple juice (begin with 1/2 and reduce to 1/4)
2 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped garlic
1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
* 2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil or clarified butter or combination

For Curry:
1 lb stew meat, cut into large bite size pieces for meat version, or *2
lbs tempeh for vegetarian
*Splash of apple juice
2 lbs potato, peeled, cut into large bite size pieces
1 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into large moon shapes
1 lbs onion
(optional additional vegetables: green beans cut in half, quartered
mushrooms, firm white parts of bok choy- green parts may be added to
another dish, turnips, etc.)

Cheers,

Ian

Banned

sounds good! i will try this at home, i have tried cooking chicken curry before and it was good too, chicken curry though, has coconut milk which makes the dish so creamy
Posted to alt.food.asian

raiundazan > wrote:
> sounds good! i will try this at home, i have tried cooking chicken curry
> before and it was good too, chicken curry though, has coconut milk which
> makes the dish so creamy

Thai Gaeng Kiew Wan Gai! Mmmmm! Gai Dom Kah is real good, too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian
Ian Ian is offline

raiundazan wrote:
> sounds good! i will try this at home, i have tried cooking chicken curry
> before and it was good too, chicken curry though, has coconut milk which
> makes the dish so creamy

That might be a Thai or further south curry.

The Japanese S7B box just says to start with water, and boild your
ingredients. I made it last week using chicken stock instead of water,
and fried up some garlic, shallots, and the chicken meat before I did
that. I dropped bak choi, mushrooms, & red peppers into it too. The
resulting curry tasted great, I have to say, thought it seems altogether
too easy, and not quite real cooking.

Ian

Member

It is look like very tasty dish i will be make at home with my friends. So thank you for the Recipe .

Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kattima
Post

Every Japanese family/region makes curry differently. If there is an Asian market near you, my mom always bought the mild curry mix and added veggies and cubed beef and served over rice.
Budget hotels in chennai | Ooty