Michael Odom

Default Chicken for dinner

Menu:

Sliced mango and avocado with salt and lime juice.

Shredded carrots with salt and lime juice (repetitive, but yummy)

Cabbage slaw with sesame oil, lime juice (repetitive, repetitive),
cumin, and salt.

Grill roasted whole free-range chicken with minced lemon, shiso,
ginger, jalapeno (all minced fine), and fish sauce stuffed under the
skin before cooking. Powdered ginger, salt and pepper on the skin.

The chicken was carved and served with a yogurt sauce spiked with
jalapeno (repetitive, but yummy), fresh mint, cumin (repetitive, but
yummy). and lime juice (repetitive, repetitive, repetitive)

Also yummy.

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde
Michael Odom

:

>> Menu:
>>
>> Sliced mango and avocado with salt and lime juice.
>>
>> Shredded carrots with salt and lime juice (repetitive, but yummy)
>>
>> Cabbage slaw with sesame oil, lime juice (repetitive, repetitive),
>> cumin, and salt.
>>
>> Grill roasted whole free-range chicken with minced lemon, shiso,
>> ginger, jalapeno (all minced fine), and fish sauce stuffed under the
>> skin before cooking. Powdered ginger, salt and pepper on the skin.
>>
>> The chicken was carved and served with a yogurt sauce spiked with
>> jalapeno (repetitive, but yummy), fresh mint, cumin (repetitive, but
>> yummy). and lime juice (repetitive, repetitive, repetitive)
>>
>> Also yummy.
>>
>> modom

>I have never used free range chicken. What do you find differnt about it
>in comparison to regular (for lack of a better word) chicken?

It might just be the power of suggestion, but I think free-range
animals and fowl tast better. Tonight's chicken was moist and
remarkably tender, but I don't know if that was in any way related to
the bird's lifestyle.

I got the chicken in the reduced bin, by the way. Free-range meat can
cost too dear otherwise.

modom

Only superficial people don't judge by appearances.
-- Oscar Wilde
Curly Sue

:

>> I got the chicken in the reduced bin, by the way. Free-range meat can
>> cost too dear otherwise.
>>

>> modom

>Cost is the reason I have never bothered to purchase it. We do not have a
>reduced bin at the supermarkets here, at least that I'm aware of. I may
>have to break down and buy one to compare.
>
>Michael

Good. I'll let you do it. Please report back :>

Michael O's dinner sounded lovely. I will have to try some of the
ideas in his post.

It seems he likes lime :> Here's one of my favorites he might also
enjoy (it's pretty and refreshing)

Pete's Chopped Salad
from "Change One", John Hastings et al.
(6 servings)

1/2 c dropped red pepper
1/2 c chopped green pepper
1/2 C chopped cucumber
1/2 C diced red onion
1 1/2 c diced tomato
1 c corn kernels
1 C canned black beans drained
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 T lime juice
2 T minced cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, finely minced

Combine in a large bowl.

Sue(tm)

Well, it certainly looks like you are getting your lime juice quotient.

Personally, I don't think you can beat throwing a chicken in the oven
for an hour or so with butter, salt and pepper. Frankly, all this
bruhaha sounds dreadful to me.

But then I'm such a purist when it comes to food.

Chula

cathy

> I have never used free range chicken. What do you find differnt about it
> in comparison to regular (for lack of a better word) chicken?
>
> Michael <- full from dinner

We have found that free range chicken is generally larger and fattier
than *regular* chicken, and tastier. We ususally buy the chicken
breasts. Only problem is, we dislike fat, so we spend a lot more time
trimming the chicken breasts, so you do lose a bit, and it is more
expensive...
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Dog3
> wrote:

> I have never used free range chicken. What do you find differnt about it
> in comparison to regular (for lack of a better word) chicken?

They have some flavor.

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated in late-April.

I like the way meat tastes when it is cooked in butter. Usually, I
cook my meat to DEATH and it renders most of the fat out, so I don't
worry that much about fat in the meat. The butter just makes it nice
and brown and crunchy and gives it a nice taste.

chula

Rich

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> Michael Odom > wrote in
> :
>
>> Menu:
>>
>> Sliced mango and avocado with salt and lime juice.
>>
>> Shredded carrots with salt and lime juice (repetitive, but yummy)
>>
>> Cabbage slaw with sesame oil, lime juice (repetitive, repetitive),
>> cumin, and salt.
>>
>> Grill roasted whole free-range chicken with minced lemon, shiso,
>> ginger, jalapeno (all minced fine), and fish sauce stuffed under the
>> skin before cooking. Powdered ginger, salt and pepper on the skin.
>>
>> The chicken was carved and served with a yogurt sauce spiked with
>> jalapeno (repetitive, but yummy), fresh mint, cumin (repetitive, but
>> yummy). and lime juice (repetitive, repetitive, repetitive)
>>
>> Also yummy.
>>
>> modom

> I have never used free range chicken. What do you find differnt about it
> in comparison to regular (for lack of a better word) chicken?
>
> Michael <- full from dinner

Where I grew up, ALL chicken was "free range." If you wanted a chicken, you
went out in the yard and caught one. What's different"? Flavor, freshness,
texture (never been frozen, unlike most supermarket chicken), and, most
obviously, the color of the skin. Home grown chickens have white skin. For
some reason, commercial poultry producers think we want our chickens yellow,
so they add supplements to their feed to produce that effect. The reason the
flavor is better is mostly because backyard chickens mature more slowly so
that the meat has more time to develop flavor. Of course diet is a factor,
too, but you really don't want to know what chickens eat when allowed to
chose their own food in lieu of scientifically formulated fast-growth mix.
--

--Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Rich

"Rich" > wrote in message

> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 1...
>> Michael Odom > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Menu:
>>>
>>> Sliced mango and avocado with salt and lime juice.
>>>
>>> Shredded carrots with salt and lime juice (repetitive, but yummy)
>>>
>>> Cabbage slaw with sesame oil, lime juice (repetitive, repetitive),
>>> cumin, and salt.
>>>
>>> Grill roasted whole free-range chicken with minced lemon, shiso,
>>> ginger, jalapeno (all minced fine), and fish sauce stuffed under the
>>> skin before cooking. Powdered ginger, salt and pepper on the skin.
>>>
>>> The chicken was carved and served with a yogurt sauce spiked with
>>> jalapeno (repetitive, but yummy), fresh mint, cumin (repetitive, but
>>> yummy). and lime juice (repetitive, repetitive, repetitive)
>>>
>>> Also yummy.
>>>
>>> modom

>> I have never used free range chicken. What do you find differnt about it
>> in comparison to regular (for lack of a better word) chicken?
>>
>> Michael <- full from dinner
>>

> Where I grew up, ALL chicken was "free range." If you wanted a chicken,
> you went out in the yard and caught one. What's different"? Flavor,
> freshness, texture (never been frozen, unlike most supermarket chicken),
> and, most obviously, the color of the skin. Home grown chickens have white
> skin. For some reason, commercial poultry producers think we want our
> chickens yellow, so they add supplements to their feed to produce that
> effect. The reason the flavor is better is mostly because backyard
> chickens mature more slowly so that the meat has more time to develop
> flavor. Of course diet is a factor, too, but you really don't want to know
> what chickens eat when allowed to chose their own food in lieu of
> scientifically formulated fast-growth mix.
> --
>

> --Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

By the way, if you want a change from yellow or white-skin chicken, try to
find someone who raises the black silkie breed. They have black skin and
bones. Some Chinese people believe the broth from these birds to be
medicinal, and it is considered good luck to eat black chicken on new year's
day. I found one and roasted it on new year's this year (Chinese new year,
of course). I don't know if I'm any luckier, but it sure was tasty.
--

--Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Richard Kaszeta

"Rich" > writes:
> Home grown chickens have white skin.

Actually, it depends on the diet. While commercial producers
definitely feed yellow stuff to the birds to make them get the yellow
skin, I've seen plenty of yellow free range birds during wildflower season...

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Rich

"Richard Kaszeta" > wrote in message
> "Rich" > writes:
>> Home grown chickens have white skin.

> Actually, it depends on the diet. While commercial producers
> definitely feed yellow stuff to the birds to make them get the yellow
> skin, I've seen plenty of yellow free range birds during wildflower
> season...

That sounds right. There weren't many carotinoid-rich wildflowers in the
Midwestern farmyard of my youth, though.
--

--Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Dreadful? Chacun a son gout. Don't you like Vietnamese or Thai food?

Not particularly, no.

chula

my chicken curry dinner sf[_9_] General Cooking 4 17-02-2010 07:13 PM
chicken for dinner sf[_9_] General Cooking 4 08-11-2009 06:01 PM
Chicken dinner Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 23-07-2009 06:06 AM
Chicken Pot Pie dinner Nick Cramer Diabetic 6 01-02-2009 02:29 PM
Chicken 'dinner' Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 02-06-2008 05:05 AM