Erica

Default Swedish meatballs

Hi,

I attempted to make Swedish meatballs last night. I couldn't find a
recipe that looked like it would produce what I had in mind -- savory
meatballs in a rich, creamy gravy -- so I improvised.

They turned out nicely, but it seemed like something was missing. Can
anyone tell me if I'm missing a key ingredient or method or anything?

Here's what I did: First, I tore apart two slices of sandwich bread (I
used potato bread) and soaked it in light cream for about ten minutes.
Then, I mashed up the bread in the cream until it had a pasty texture.
Meanwhile, I sauteed a small minced onion and a minced clove of garlic
in a little vegetable oil. I mixed 1/2 lb ground beef, 1/4 lb ground
veal, and 1/4 lb ground pork with the onion-garlic mixture, the
bread-cream mixture, plus some nutmeg, salt, and an egg yolk. I formed
the meat it into little balls and browned them over medium high. After
I removed them, I sprinkled some flour over the hot drippings and
cooked, whisking, for a little bit. I added 2 cups of beef broth (I
used Better Than Boullion beef base), reduced it a little bit, and
finished the gravy with some creme fraiche.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Erica
zxcvbob

Erica wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I attempted to make Swedish meatballs last night. I couldn't find a
> recipe that looked like it would produce what I had in mind -- savory
> meatballs in a rich, creamy gravy -- so I improvised.
>
> They turned out nicely, but it seemed like something was missing. Can
> anyone tell me if I'm missing a key ingredient or method or anything?
>
> Here's what I did: First, I tore apart two slices of sandwich bread (I
> used potato bread) and soaked it in light cream for about ten minutes.
> Then, I mashed up the bread in the cream until it had a pasty texture.
> Meanwhile, I sauteed a small minced onion and a minced clove of garlic
> in a little vegetable oil. I mixed 1/2 lb ground beef, 1/4 lb ground
> veal, and 1/4 lb ground pork with the onion-garlic mixture, the
> bread-cream mixture, plus some nutmeg, salt, and an egg yolk. I formed
> the meat it into little balls and browned them over medium high. After
> I removed them, I sprinkled some flour over the hot drippings and
> cooked, whisking, for a little bit. I added 2 cups of beef broth (I
> used Better Than Boullion beef base), reduced it a little bit, and
> finished the gravy with some creme fraiche.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
> Erica

Black pepper in the meatballs? I dunno; yours looks about right.

Bob
Dimitri

"Erica" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I attempted to make Swedish meatballs last night. I couldn't find a
> recipe that looked like it would produce what I had in mind -- savory
> meatballs in a rich, creamy gravy -- so I improvised.
>
> They turned out nicely, but it seemed like something was missing. Can
> anyone tell me if I'm missing a key ingredient or method or anything?
>
> Here's what I did: First, I tore apart two slices of sandwich bread (I
> used potato bread) and soaked it in light cream for about ten minutes.
> Then, I mashed up the bread in the cream until it had a pasty texture.
> Meanwhile, I sauteed a small minced onion and a minced clove of garlic
> in a little vegetable oil. I mixed 1/2 lb ground beef, 1/4 lb ground
> veal, and 1/4 lb ground pork with the onion-garlic mixture, the
> bread-cream mixture, plus some nutmeg, salt, and an egg yolk. I formed
> the meat it into little balls and browned them over medium high. After
> I removed them, I sprinkled some flour over the hot drippings and
> cooked, whisking, for a little bit. I added 2 cups of beef broth (I
> used Better Than Boullion beef base), reduced it a little bit, and
> finished the gravy with some creme fraiche.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
> Erica

allspice & pepper?